That moment when you need to show a host how wrong they are!

These reviews of the movie make me not want to see it. I wasn't too interested anyway, but I don't want to watch a movie about people being mean or abusive. It hits close to home for some of us.
My grandmother was not abusive, but she seemed to not want me around. I never got hugged, sat on her lap, kissed, or any interaction except what needed to be done while she watched me, like fixing lunch.
You can bet that I hug, kiss, and grab my grandkids for lap sitting ALOT, LOL. I am using her example of how Not to be a good gramma.
same experience. but as an adult i now know and understand why and accept and forgive her in my heart as she has passed away. But as a child that's not possible and i did miss out significantly on the experience of a grandmother's influence in my life (other one was dead before i was born). and it shouldn't be mirabel's job as the child to work hard to understand her grandmother's backstory and relate it to her mistreatment, making her the adult in that relationship.

so funny but when i saw mirabel in eyeglasses i was excited a main character was wearing them (i wear glasses) and i thought oh how nice a main character is wearing eyeglasses so that's different. then i realized she was the hated loser of the family for the main story and just shrugged, ok, typical, the loser in the eyeglasses, great. poor kid had to work her butt off trying to be extra special just to fit into her core family, she couldn't be normal in her glasses and loved.

so funny but when i saw mirabel in eyeglasses i was excited a main character was wearing them (i wear glasses) and i thought oh how nice a main character is wearing eyeglasses so that's different. then i realized she was the hated loser of the family for the main story and just shrugged, ok, typical, the loser in the eyeglasses, great. poor kid had to work her butt off trying to be extra special just to fit into her core family, she couldn't be normal in her glasses and loved.
But she became the hero of the family, and she didn’t have to undergo a transformation where she suddenly looks heroic and loses the glasses (and changes her hair and clothes)! :thumbsup2

She mentions having been able to hear him every day at the end and Camilo's reaction to that I think is supposed to be an acknowledgement of the plot hole 😂
I think that’s why the writers made her so soft spoken. When you hear everything, you would know everyone’s secrets. Hard to know when you should be saying things, and when you shouldn’t. She must’ve known Bruno didn’t want to be found, and kept it to herself.
During the Bruno song she even says
“It's a heavy lift with a gift so humbling​
Always left Abuela and the family fumbling
Grappling with prophecies they couldn't understand
Do you understand?”

Which indicates to me she understands Bruno’s plight, and wants to let him stay “missing”.

I haven’t figured out yet why she couldn’t help but share what she knew at the dinner party though. 😳

I think that’s why the writers made her so soft spoken. When you hear everything, you would know everyone’s secrets. Hard to know when you should be saying things, and when you shouldn’t. She must’ve known Bruno didn’t want to be found, and kept it to herself.
During the Bruno song she even says
“It's a heavy lift with a gift so humbling​
Always left Abuela and the family fumbling
Grappling with prophecies they couldn't understand
Do you understand?”

Which indicates to me she understands Bruno’s plight, and wants to let him stay “missing”.

I haven’t figured out yet why she couldn’t help but share what she knew at the dinner party though. 😳

(apologies for the double post)

I think she’s meant to be a metaphor(as I believe all of the characters are) of an intangible, abstract family dynamic of keeping secrets and going along to get along. I think it was actually a really deft way to handle the concept of many families not addressing certain uncomfortable truths or problematic traditions without getting too dark. I understand not everyone was a huge fan of the film, but it was the most nuanced and poignant Disney film in quite some time in my opinion.

I think it's going to be one of those movies that kids get to study in school.

My 9 year old is actually watching Inside Out with her school at the moment.

I think it's going to be one of those movies that kids get to study in school.

My 9 year old is actually watching Inside Out with her school at the moment.
My family uses Inside Out (or "Emotions/'Motions" as my kids called it from like age 4) regularly as a touchpoint about emotional stuff. And I can tell Encanto will be like this with trauma, family systems, etc. We already use it as code words about somethings (such as "if you're told not to talk about Bruno - it probably means you should talk about it" as we're a family system that really tries to root out "secret keeping" (different, I'd add, from privacy).

The Encanto story was nice but the music was horrendous. It did not fit the voice of the singer and she had a hard time with the songs. Also, her voice pitch made it difficult to understand what she was saying. And all of the songs where of the same style. Can Lin Manuel Miranda write any other style of song? The movie would have been much better if the songs where better. I was actually pretty disappointed in it. Disney usually has such great songs in their movies and this one was a real let down.
Interesting. I thought the music was catchy and great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter