• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"That woman just sneezed into my beer!"

This line of thinking is flawed on so many levels.

If our bodies have a 'natural immunity' to these diseases, why have so many people died or been left with lifelong disabilities after contracting these diseases?
Why didn't this 'natural immunity' prevent all those people at Disneyland from getting the Measles?

And how is this year's ineffective flu shot an example of natural immunity? Are you saying that no one is getting the flu this year because of their 'natural immunity'? That is just plain false!

Your body does not have an inherent 'natural immunity' to diseases like polio, measles, mumps, flu, etc.
Your body develops an immunity to these diseases AFTER being exposed to them. So in order to develop the immunity, you have to get sick first. Then, if you survive the disease, you won't get it again because your body has developed the immunity.

A vaccine works the same way. It exposes your body to a benign version of the disease so that your body can develop the immunity without having you having to become ill.

Thus, you have the immunity without having to go through the life-threatening disease.

You may or may not wish to vaccinate, but at least base your decision on facts, not fairy tales!

Like I said I'm not anti vaccine, I guess it was easy to overlook that. I'm not saying don't vaccinate, I'm saying not to totally rely on vaccines, btw there's a difference between a vaccine and a immunization. Yes get your immunizations by all means. Heck get a vaccine every once and a while but don't rely on them. Give your body a chance to fight off things. Because I'll tell you what, there will be times when vaccines are limited. And if you fought everything you could catch with a vaccine, then you are going to be hit like a ton of bricks.

Like I said I'm not anti vaccine, I guess it was easy to overlook that. I'm not saying don't vaccinate, I'm saying not to totally rely on vaccines, btw there's a difference between a vaccine and a immunization. Yes get your immunizations by all means. Heck get a vaccine every once and a while but don't rely on them. Give your body a chance to fight off things. Because I'll tell you what, there will be times when vaccines are limited. And if you fought everything you could catch with a vaccine, then you are going to be hit like a ton of bricks.

I think you are confusing the overuse of antibiotics with the usage of vaccines.
IF you are talking about taking an antibiotic at the first sign of a cold instead of letting the cold run its course, then yes, you are correct, the antibiotic won't work and you are better off letting your body fight off the cold.

However, it is a different story with vaccines. You don't get vaccinated 'every once in a while' or at the first sign of an illness. Each vaccine is given to prevent a very specific communicable disease. It is given to prevent the illness itself, possible lifelong disabilities as a result of the illness, and often death.

If we had a 'natural immunity' to these communicable illnesses, we wouldn't need vaccines!
The vaccines were developed because so many thousands of children were dying or were left with disabilities from these diseases.

I've gotten sick on the past 5 of 6 Christmas trips.

I had a cold the first trip. The second trip I took a ton of precautions.... and then I broke my foot a week before the trip AND my entire family caught a one-day stomach virus. The next year I caught a cold midway through the trip. Last year I stayed healthy - the entire trip. This past year it was a perfect trip until I woke up and had a cold. Of course, this happened on the nicest day of the trip (around 70 degrees and the sun was shining!) and it didn't let up until the NYE when it got cool and rainy.

That's the risk you take in the winter, I guess.

I don't use one of those paper toilet seat covers. They're so inconvenient to have to take out of the box and put down. I figure everybody else uses them so I don't have to.

I don't use one of those paper toilet seat covers. They're so inconvenient to have to take out of the box and put down. I figure everybody else uses them so I don't have to.

I like the way you think. Please contact me by PM, I have some very lucrative investment opportunities for you.

Ah, yes... the "herd immunity" argument...

I have to say, and this is purely anecdotal evidence so take it as you will, but the people I know personally who bathe themselves in sanitizer and antibacterial everything always seem to get sick at the mere rumor of a cold or bug.

In my family we wash our hands after going to the bathroom with regular (not antibacterial) soap, refuse to use hand sanitizer, and don't get all worked up about touching surfaces. The only antibacterial products allowed in my house are bathroom and kitchen cleaners.

Do we pick up the occasional virus? Of course. And by occasional I mean we all came down with a virus of some kind in the last few weeks but other than that I had some bug late last summer and I honestly can't remember the last time DD8 was sick at all.

Yes, taking precautions such as washing your hands with soap and water and trying not to touch your face a lot are good things but I just can't see how over using products like hand sanitizers and trying to wipe any and all bacteria out of your life is healthy. There is such a thing as good bacteria you know. The hand sanitizers some of you love so much destroy the good bacteria on your skin right along with the bad not to mention encourage the growth of resistant strains.

The sanitizer/antibacterial crowd should really take a look at these articles:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health/hand-sanitizer-toxic-upwave/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/downsid...s-can-harm-your-health-and-environment-273736

If anything, the over use of hand sanitizer and antibacterial/microbial products are actually promoting more antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria...and unless they contain alcohol, do nothing to prevent norovirus or the common cold. These products are actually doing more harm than good but I highly doubt that'll change the minds of most.

Luckily we drive down, so I don't have to worry about plane germs (yuck!). I do take a big can of lysol (has to be the kind that has "brand III" on the can in order to kill norovirus) with me and spray down everything in the hotel room when we first get there. Doorknobs, light switches, remote controls, etc.... I'm sure housekeeping never cleans those things properly and they are covered in germs.

Just wondering where you find the Lysol with the "brand III" on it? I looked at Target today & didn't find anything that said that. Thanks!

My DH and DS both got a stomach virus there in Nov. a few years ago . DS came down with it on our last night (after we had been there 10 days) and we had to stay two extra days before he was able to travel. This was the trip that we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite at BC and let's just say they practically had to send in a HAZMAT team to clean it. Yikes! I ordered room service for myself (DH and DD had left a few days earlier-she was a junior in high school at the time and could not miss as much school) and the waiter told me there were sick people everywhere in the resort. We had seen evidence of it in the hallway at YC, BC and MK ourselves before DH got it. Kind of cancelled out some of the Pixie Dust from the upgrade....

The sanitizer/antibacterial crowd should really take a look at these articles:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/16/health/hand-sanitizer-toxic-upwave/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/downsid...s-can-harm-your-health-and-environment-273736

If anything, the over use of hand sanitizer and antibacterial/microbial products are actually promoting more antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria...and unless they contain alcohol, do nothing to prevent norovirus or the common cold. These products are actually doing more harm than good but I highly doubt that'll change the minds of most.

Most normal hand sanitizer is not antimicrobial. It is simply rubbing alcohol that works by physically damaging and breaking down the outer layer of the cell, and thus causing the bacteria to die immediately. Bacteria ends up antibiotic resistant through reproduction and small changes made throughout multiple generations. Hand sanitizer kills bacteria physically and immediately, and therefore the bacteria won't become resistant to anything because they are dead and not reproducing.

Just wondering where you find the Lysol with the "brand III" on it? I looked at Target today & didn't find anything that said that. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I got it at either Target or Walmart. I will take a picture and post it so you can see what the can looks like. "Brand III" is very small on the front of the can.

ETA: Deleted pic because it was so big....I sent it to you in a private mssg, deedeew80

Last edited:
you're all aware that there is probably ten times more germs on that keyboard you're using right now, tnan on the average toilet seat in a disney park.... right ?

In 2013, we came down the stairs in The Seas pavilion at Epcot and there was a lady vomiting LOUDLY into one of the trashcans. I felt so sorry for her, but it was awful! My poor dh who has a very weak stomach made a beeline for the doors and we all followed behind and found a restroom to give our hands a good washing. :crazy2:

I'm sorry, but you are obviously very confused re vaccine/immunisation.

The terms are used interchangeably, they are not exactly the same thing. The vaccination is what is administered to the body, the vaccine stimulates the immune system to recognise the infection and provide future immunity (immunisation) to that particular disease. You gain immunisation through vaccines.

As a PP said, I think you're getting vaccines confused with antibiotics.

I'm sorry, but you are obviously very confused re vaccine/immunisation.

The terms are used interchangeably, they are not exactly the same thing. The vaccination is what is administered to the body, the vaccine stimulates the immune system to recognise the infection and provide future immunity (immunisation) to that particular disease. You gain immunisation through vaccines.

As a PP said, I think you're getting vaccines confused with antibiotics.

I'm sorry, you are the confused one...
Immunization means to make someone immune to something. Vaccination, by contrast, according to Dorland’s Medical Dictionary, just means to inject “a suspension of attenuated or killed microorganisms…administered for prevention…or treatment of infectious disease.”

Vaccination does not guarantee immunity. Natural immunity happens only after one recovers from the actual disease. During the disease, the microorganism usually has to pass through many of the body’s natural immune defense systems—in the nose, throat, lungs, digestive tract and lymph tissue—before it reaches the bloodstream.

As it does, the microorganism triggers many biological events that are essential in building true natural immunity. When a child gets a new disease, he may feel sick for several days, but, in the vast majority of cases, he will recover.

According to the Center for Disease and Prevention Control, CDC, not all that receive a vaccination will have immunity.

Look, I am no Doctor, but I deal with viral and bacterial carriers on a daily basis. working in the bayous and swamps of Louisiana, I have to be aware of these things. From mosquitoes to amoeba, and everything in between. But I also know that dis'ers have the uncanny impulse to feel they know better than each other. I'm sharing what I learned via my occupation. Take it and do what you will, I'm not your daddy and I'm not trying to force anyone to do what I say. You disagree then be on your way and continue like I never said anything. It's no skin off my back. I should've known better than trying to help people on here. Bad on me.

We never wipe down anything at WDW, we walk around barefoot in the room and to the pool, hand sanitizer is not used (ever...), and germs are never on my mind.

And, we are never sick.

I truly believe that over-clean is what is causing more harm than good.

I never even thought about that....that would be an interesting thread....do you ever walk barefoot in your resort room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter