"That's not supposed to be HERE!" A WDW Native's First Trek West! ~ New 8/13!

Great TR so far! You both remind me of my wife and I when we go together and is fun to see how your trip progresses. Keep it up!

Hello hello everyone! We are BACK from our brief getaway to WDW! I wanted to save this for my eventual WDW TR, or at the very least the end of this one, but I can't hold it in any longer.........

Yes that's right folks - the DBF is now the DF!

Obviously we're ecstatic and bouncing off the roof, and my mind is swimming with wedding planning things. On top of it all my laptop at home has gone into a little computer-coma, so any updates from the time being are going to have to come from work.

But I promise I won't leave you hanging! I'll be back with an update real soon! Thank you as always for following along on our crazy adventures!

I'm enjoying reading your trip report. Can't wait to read the next installment!:)

Thanks for reading! It's always encouraging to know the page views are going up from more than just you yourself.....:rolleyes:

Great TR so far! You both remind me of my wife and I when we go together and is fun to see how your trip progresses. Keep it up!

Hello there and thanks! Glad to know we're not alone in touring the parks in our wacky way :)

Congrats!

Hello hello everyone! We are BACK from our brief getaway to WDW! I wanted to save this for my eventual WDW TR, or at the very least the end of this one, but I can't hold it in any longer.........

Obviously we're ecstatic and bouncing off the roof, and my mind is swimming with wedding planning things. On top of it all my laptop at home has gone into a little computer-coma, so any updates from the time being are going to have to come from work.

But I promise I won't leave you hanging! I'll be back with an update real soon! Thank you as always for following along on our crazy adventures!

OMG How EXCITING and what an amazing place to get proposed too!!!!! Also a great place for a WEDDING :cool1:

Congratulations!!! Will a Disney Wedding report or honeymoon TR be in your future?

Congratulations! That would be so much fun to get engaged in one of the parks.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!! I would LOVE to start a TR of that trip, but I refuse to do so until I finish this one - and where it's October already, I've got to get cracking!!

Our story continues with Kevin and I waking up from a fantastic and much needed mid-day nap. Feeling refreshed, we were ready to tackle California Adventure once more! I changed into pants and grabbed my sweatshirt since I had been cold earlier in the middle of the afternoon, but Kevin swore he was fine (not-so-epic foreshadowing!) and we set off back to the park!

Our Goofy FPs were long since expired, but we still had a bit of time to kill until our RSR passes were good, so we decided to take a detour and do some Vinylmation trading!

California 2013 245 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 247 by elphie101, on Flickr

Disney recently changed their policy (at the time) from having multiple vinyl trading boxes in each theme park/hotel to just a handful throughout the resort, so Off the Page was the only place to trade in all of CA. If I remember correctly, we didn't score anything good.

It had been a good several hours from lunch at this point, and there was a Disney snack I had yet to try on this coast - soft serve ice cream. And what better place to get an ice cream cone than at........The Cozy Cone Motel!

California 2013 248 by elphie101, on Flickr

.........apparently everyone else had the same idea that day. It was well worth the wait though - a giant waffle cone with delicious vanilla soft serve, I could use one right now!

After I finished my snack, this time had finally come to use our RSR Fastpasses. They did a pretty great job with the queue in that there was a lot of look at, but I definitely didn't spend too much time photographing it - we have a RIDE to get on people!

California 2013 253 by elphie101, on Flickr
The poor souls who thought a 2-hour wait sounded ideal....

California 2013 254 by elphie101, on Flickr
The Test Track parallels are very obvious (minus being outside of course!)

California 2013 255 by elphie101, on Flickr
The cutest cars ever!

I really wanted to just enjoy the ride our first time and not photograph it. So what did we think?

California 2013 256 by elphie101, on Flickr

LOVED IT!!! It definitely lived up to the hype! And yes, that is the face of a victor you see up there - we won our race!

Now that our big ticket item was done for the day (no way we were going to wait 2 hours, awesome as that ride is) we decided to visit my old friends in Monstropolis.

California 2013 257 by elphie101, on Flickr
After a small detour through Wonderland!

California 2013 258 by elphie101, on Flickr
I thought the Tea Party looked really cool, and loved the idea of a more "adult" party (sadly we never made it over here during a night everything was running)

California 2013 260 by elphie101, on Flickr
Back on track!

California 2013 261 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 264 by elphie101, on Flickr
We have this EXACT same machine at the Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland - I wonder if it's the same Blort?

California 2013 265 by elphie101, on Flickr
Ready to go!

We thought the ride was really simple, cute, and definitely under-appreciated being tucked all the way in the corner by itself (we didn't even discover MuppetVision was right around the corner until a few days later).

We heard the parade coming down the street as we exited and tried to beat it so we wouldn't get stuck behind it - but that didn't really work out so well.

California 2013 267 by elphie101, on Flickr
Not enough Incredibles love out there!

We managed to cross the street during a break in the parade, and I got distracted by the Once Upon a Time costumes on display - SO PRETTY.

California 2013 268 by elphie101, on Flickr

We hurried down the street only to find that we were once again still stuck until the parade (and the gap we crossed during the first time) caught up to us. We crossed Buena Vista Street and Kevin ran to get us Soarin FPs while I watched a little of the parade.

California 2013 272 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 273 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 274 by elphie101, on Flickr
Our FPs - the time stamp tells me it was about 5:30 at this point!

While I can appreciate a good parade (especially if it's new) they really aren't Kevin's thing, so we decided to do a little shopping nearby while we waited for the parade to pass through.

California 2013 275 by elphie101, on Flickr
Mmmmm candy.

Knowing us, we probably bought a couple Vinylmation, maybe a magnet or two and I gazed longingly at some beautiful (and overpriced) blankets. We had about 40 minutes to kill till our FP window opened, so I suggested we catch the last showing of Aladdin (the words "the Musical" at the end of anything make it a must-see for me!) and catch the end of our FP window. He agreed with my plan and we went off to get good spots in line for the show.

Continued in next post

California 2013 276 by elphie101, on Flickr
About 20 minutes before the show I would say (around 6:00pm).

California 2013 277 by elphie101, on Flickr
We ended up with fairly decent seats too!

California 2013 278 by elphie101, on Flickr

Even with permission, the theater major in me finds it very hard to take photos of theatrical performances even when they say it's ok. So I resisted, and just watched the show - until Prince Ali. Then I just figured what the heck! It was all too cool to NOT photograph!

California 2013 279 by elphie101, on Flickr
Right in front of us!

California 2013 280 by elphie101, on Flickr
He was very happy to see us

California 2013 283 by elphie101, on Flickr
Not too bad for a dinky lil-point & shoot on zoom

California 2013 285 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 286 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 287 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 289 by elphie101, on Flickr
While this picture didn't come out very good, I had to include it because it represents (as Kevin and I called it) "That Awkward Moment When Jasmine Had a Song". Not that her song wasn't good, or that the actress wasn't good - it just didn't feel like it fit at this part of the show. Hopefully now that they're bringing the show to Broadway they'll give her more to sing at places that feel more organic in the story!.

California 2013 290 by elphie101, on Flickr
I was very excited to tell Kevin that they had recently re-added the actual flying carpet back to A Whole New World - but this wasn't what I expected (after seeing the YouTube videos of whole carpet malfunction)

California 2013 291 by elphie101, on Flickr
The onstage 'flying' carpet

It was a delightful show! I really loved it and would 100% see it again. We both enjoyed it very much.

I was all set to make my way to a hang glider ride over the state of California, when Kevin made a confession: now that the sun had set, he was actually quite cold. Since we needed to grab dinner soon in order to wait some perfect spots for World of Color, he asked if I wouldn't mind if he ran back to the room to change into some warmer clothes, and we could just catch Soarin on our CA park day, since it wasn't exactly new to us (cue actual epic-foreshadowing music). Of course I didn't mind, and so he ran back to the Fairfield Inn while I decided to pick out something we would like for dinner in the Pacific Wharf area.

That is, until I got distracted..........by Cars Land at sunset.

Holy mackerel guys, is this place beautiful. It was impossible to stop taking pictures (ie, consider yourself warned).

California 2013 294 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 295 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 296 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 298 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 299 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 300 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 302 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 303 by elphie101, on Flickr

It literally took my breath away. All I could think of was how much I wished Kevin was there to see it too.

Since I had gone ahead and photographed all of Route 66, it was time to go check out our dinner options.

California 2013 304 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 306 by elphie101, on Flickr
Love the round serving windows!

After quickly surveying the area for Kevin-friendly options, I noticed Paradise Pier had also lit up and, feeling very artsy from my time in Cars Land, I took some photos of the pier.

California 2013 308 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 310 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 311 by elphie101, on Flickr

Continued in next post

By now, Kevin had returned, and I let him pick where he wanted to eat - I had decided on a rice bowl from Lucky Fortune Cookery. Surprisingly, he wanted the same! (He HATES getting chinese food back home, so I was quite shocked.)

California 2013 312 by elphie101, on Flickr
According to AllEars, a rice bowl is now $10.49 - Disney change in action people!

California 2013 313 by elphie101, on Flickr
We both got chicken in our bowl, and I went with Mandarin Orange (left) while Kevin chose Teriyaki (right). Both were very fresh, hot, and filling - nether of us emptied our containers.

Bellies full, we decided to grab a beer to enjoy the show with and quickly ran down to the stand by the Pizza & Pasta - there was already quite the mob at World of Color! Once we had our adult beverages, we managed to get some decent spots even though they were quickly running out.

California 2013 314 by elphie101, on Flickr
The original picture included more of the Pier........but also our beers, so I cropped it :thumbsup2

California 2013 316 by elphie101, on Flickr
I decided Kevin should try the ears on, just in case he liked them.........what do we think?

California 2013 319 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 320 by elphie101, on Flickr
A few minutes before show time - it was pretty packed!

As with most other things this trip, I decided that the first time around I was going to enjoy World of Color with my own eyes, not through the camera. I highly, highly recommend this, especially with WoC - we were both totally blown away. I really don't think Disney has done anything like this before, and we both loved love LOVED it. Kevin even said it was almost his favorite Disney nighttime show, very closely behind Illuminations at Epcot - and the boy LOVES his Illuminations, so this is a very high compliment.

I did manage to snag one shot as we turned to leave - an attempt to capture the beauty of the show!

California 2013 321 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 322 by elphie101, on Flickr
All the CMs who had been working World of Color were all singing and waving goodbye to us - I was on such a happy cloud that it felt amazing!

California 2013 324 by elphie101, on Flickr
A dark, closed, quiet California Adventure

We headed back to our room and promptly passed out - tomorrow was going to be QUITE the day!

Coming up next: A Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps!

The Chinese food looks really good! That's now on my short list for next summer's trip. :thumbsup2

WOC looks amazing!

The Chinese food looks really good! That's now on my short list for next summer's trip. :thumbsup2

WOC looks amazing!

It was super good! Dare I say even enough to share (especially if you want to sample all the yummy snacks in CA, like the ones nearby at the Cozy Cone). It was steaming hot too, freshly made! Perfect for a chilly-er night.

WOC is a do not miss, hands down. I don't think anyone considers it missable (especially if you haven't seen it before!) but just in case ;)

Wow, that was an epic update! I love hearing about all the fun stuff at California Adventure. We're leaving this Saturday and can't wait :) We're definitely going to see WOC but I'm oddly excited about seeing the Aladdin Show.

Wow, that was an epic update! I love hearing about all the fun stuff at California Adventure. We're leaving this Saturday and can't wait :) We're definitely going to see WOC but I'm oddly excited about seeing the Aladdin Show.

Your trip is SO SOON! So exciting! And shows how long I've been dragging this report out......I was just on an update roll and figured I'd get as much out as I could. Who knows when I'll be back? :lmao: (Probably this week though. I will not let this TR die a slow, painful, unfinished death!)

After a long night in California Adventure, we woke up not-quite-as-early Friday morning well rested and very excited for our day. Today was our Walk in Walt's Disneyland Footsteps Tour - aka our day in Club 33 and Walt's Apartment! I was very very excited for the tour, since we had never done any in WDW together (Kevin had done most of them with his family, and for me, Keys to the Kingdom isn't as special when you spend a year working in MK! :lmao:) and didn't know when we'd be back in DL.

Since we had to report for our tour at 9:30am (half an hour after park opening), we didn't really have time to do much in-park beforehand, so I suggested we get our breakfast at the Jazz Kitchen Express - I figured every other day we wouldn't want to sit in DTD to kill time when we could be in the parks, so this was a good day to try it!

California 2013 326 by elphie101, on Flickr
It was a bit of a dreary morning - sweatshirts and pants were worn (sadly we did not make it back into shorts for the rest of the trip!)

California 2013 327 by elphie101, on Flickr
Around 8:00am, when CA had extra magic hours - sorry Cars Land, we won't be seeing you today!

Downtown Disney was positively dead - everyone was either in line for CA or still sleeping, like normal people do.

California 2013 328 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 329 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 330 by elphie101, on Flickr
We both ordered the Cinnamon "French Toast" Dippers - Our classic beignets cut into "sticks" and dusted with cinnamon-powdered sugar, served with maple syrup for dipping. $5.59 (From AllEars). Kevin also got a milk as you can see - and based on the Disney bag we probably stopped at D Street on our way to check out the Vinylmation!

They were very warm and puffy, and the powdered sugar mixed in a wonderfully sticky way with the syrup - we liked it! We sat outside even though the weather was fairly crummy (where else would we have gone?) and we called our parents to catch up.

Since we had time to kill before Disneyland opened, we decided to walk over to the nearby Disneyland Hotel and poke around.

California 2013 331 by elphie101, on Flickr
My favorite not in Florida Lego display!

California 2013 332 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 333 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 335 by elphie101, on Flickr
Hello monorail pool!

California 2013 336 by elphie101, on Flickr
Inside the Fantasy Tower - LOVE the artwork inside!

California 2013 337 by elphie101, on Flickr
I loved this wall of celebrities with Walt at DL - it adds a whole different dimension to the visit in the parks

California 2013 345 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 346 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 347 by elphie101, on Flickr
The pixie dusted stairs! As you can see, it's the little details here that are my favorite

California 2013 349 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 350 by elphie101, on Flickr
A better shot of the pool

California 2013 351 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 352 by elphie101, on Flickr
We actually sat in front of this for a little while, and it felt so good - because it was cold! (*Probably only about 60 degrees - but if you ask me, that's cold!)

California 2013 353 by elphie101, on Flickr
As soon as I saw the courtyard, I'm pretty sure I screamed "DISNEY WEDDINGS HAPPEN HERE" - there ya go!

California 2013 354 by elphie101, on Flickr

We popped into the Adventure Tower for a quick bathroom break, then made off to the Disneyland gates as the park was about to open.

California 2013 355 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 357 by elphie101, on Flickr
Kevin once infamously worked at a Rainforest Cafe back home for a long two weeks (dressed up at the tree frog mascot!) so we always find them very amusing when we travel and threaten to eat there.

California 2013 359 by elphie101, on Flickr

California 2013 360 by elphie101, on Flickr

Coming up next: our tour begins!

Those french toast sticks looking great and I can't wait to hear about your tour!

We're back from our trip and of course had a great time :) It's interesting seeing your updates now that I've been there. I agree that the Fairfield Inn was a good place to stay. I'm thinking about starting a trip report as well, but just haven't had time yet. Getting acclimated back at work after vacation always sucks :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter