The “Local” Mentality

I love the idea of bringing on a non local perspective to the podcast every so often. I love the idea of having a mom on the podcast as well. Something to think about for sure.....
Having articles published from a non local perspective of a recent trip is also great from a recent trip. A different eye.
That was one of the things I enjoyed when Corey or his wife were on the podcasts, you got more of a family view that the others don't have.
Having a non-local would be good, but unless they travel there frequently, not sure how helpful their opinion really would be. And I like having them all live at the studio instead of zoom, etc.

The Disneyland show used to do regular segments where they would discuss an upcoming trip with an out of town visitor and give hints, tips and suggestions for lodging, dining, attractions, etc... They would typically have the vacationers back on for a follow up episode to discuss how the vacation went. I would love to see something similar on the Tuesday show, and it would certainly bring in a variety of non-local perspectives.

I kind of felt odd a little bit about this "local" mentality. Yes, all or majority of the contents providers are local as it is much easier/accessible to the Disney or Orlando area properties. Ultimately, the easier accessibility gives more info. At same time, the majority of the audiences of those contents are not local. It is good to hear the prospective of local, but I thought these people, who provides Disney/Orlando contents as providers, need to attract larger audiences to maintain or make the providers profitable. Ultimately, more people listen/watch, more profits/audiences then it gives more contents. if the providers starts saying "I don't care about some aspect of theme park amenity because I am local", non-local people start losing the interest. If the mentality of the providers is "if you don't like it, don't watch it", I think it is fine but I was assuming that those contents sites also have sponsorship like DU or DVC resale market or magic Candle. So those sponsor may want to attract more audiences,which may contradict to "I don't care about it because I am local" mentality.

The Disneyland show used to do regular segments where they would discuss an upcoming trip with an out of town visitor and give hints, tips and suggestions for lodging, dining, attractions, etc... They would typically have the vacationers back on for a follow up episode to discuss how the vacation went. I would love to see something similar on the Tuesday show, and it would certainly bring in a variety of non-local perspectives.
We all used to love doing those segments.

I kind of felt odd a little bit about this "local" mentality. Yes, all or majority of the contents providers are local as it is much easier/accessible to the Disney or Orlando area properties. Ultimately, the easier accessibility gives more info. At same time, the majority of the audiences of those contents are not local. It is good to hear the prospective of local, but I thought these people, who provides Disney/Orlando contents as providers, need to attract larger audiences to maintain or make the providers profitable. Ultimately, more people listen/watch, more profits/audiences then it gives more contents. if the providers starts saying "I don't care about some aspect of theme park amenity because I am local", non-local people start losing the interest. If the mentality of the providers is "if you don't like it, don't watch it", I think it is fine but I was assuming that those contents sites also have sponsorship like DU or DVC resale market or magic Candle. So those sponsor may want to attract more audiences,which may contradict to "I don't care about it because I am local" mentality.
This is a good point. It would be nice if the hosts would follow up with the "I have no interest/knowledge in X as a local" with something like "but here is more information about it for our out of town guests."

everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. But, if you don't like the show - don't watch was my first thought. I get it - I miss Pete when he doesn't host because he's a wealth of knowledge - like Craig said - on the "business side" of things and other things as well. But, I equally like the in-park videos with the others. I really like Panda... glad he joined the team.

Never more has that air of “we live here, so we know nothing about that” come across than on the recent discussion about the Minnie Vans returning. Nobody had any real experience with it, incorrect info given out about the pricing, and Ryno chiming in with his typical ‘I can’t afford it, so I don’t like it’ spiel. I guess it balances out Pete’s viewpoint of “I only stay concierge”, but it still a little tiring. I feel like nobody even attempts anymore to view things through the prism of tourists who probably make up a large chunk of their audience.

I typically don’t listen if Pete is out, but I wanted to hear about some topics that were on the roster. Pete at least brings a certain level of expertise that I think a lot of his cohosts are missing.

Agree entirely. I just won’t listen if Pete isn’t on. The giggly let’s-be-silly-because-the-teacher’s-gone schtick seriously irritates my ears.
I agree I only listen to the shows Pete is on to be honest

Woah, there. I don't think anybody offering opinion and feedback in this thread is condemning The DIS, and they don't deserve the "shut up and don't watch it then" responses. The DIS produces a lot of content, and the contributors all bring knowledge and personality to the shows. I think we all appreciate the content for what it is. We have opinions because we have an affinity for it.

I appreciate what they've made, and I have no desire to denigrate anybody's work. Really, DIS team, you have built something good. That said, I can echo some of the opinions here. I used to watch the show regularly, but I find myself much less interested now. I just don't relate to it like I used to. Part of that is commonalities with the contributors. Part is probably personality - I probably had better chemistry with contributors of a few years ago. Part is the tone of the show which feels different now than it did in past years.

What I first valued about The DIS was that the shows presented various voices. It is not a solo personality channel. Among those early voices appearing in the shows were some folks who had 'regular Joe' backgrounds outside Disney, but they were enthused about their hobby. That enthusiasm was contagious. If you remember the old round table with folks like Bob, John, Theresa, Kathy, Jenilynn, and the Martins, then you remember a different vibe that has slipped away.

Today's team is more characterized by full-time career Disney video creators. In no way do I mean to detract from them when I say that I do miss the diverse voices of the past.

Woah, there. I don't think anybody offering opinion and feedback in this thread is condemning The DIS, and they don't deserve the "shut up and don't watch it then" responses.
Actually, there were posts in the thread that were unfairly harsh toward some of the podcasters. I suspect you are seeing posts responding to those deleted posts.

Ok, I have a solution.

I’m a working class father of 4 from NY. I don’t work in sales, and I don’t have an online presence that I use to gain income. I’m as opposite from the vast majority of Disney content creators as it gets. So, here’s the deal:

The Dis sends my family on vacation twice a year in perpetuity, and I’ll spend as much time as they’ll allow talking about it on the show. Here’s my resume’

- Is not in the Disney business
- Has done manual labor for a living before.
- Not from the south, the west, the southwest, or the midwest
- Apparently immune to any form of birth control
- Funny accent (NY)
- Kids are adorable (wife ain’t bad either)

Woah, there. I don't think anybody offering opinion and feedback in this thread is condemning The DIS, and they don't deserve the "shut up and don't watch it then" responses. The DIS produces a lot of content, and the contributors all bring knowledge and personality to the shows. I think we all appreciate the content for what it is. We have opinions because we have an affinity for it.

I appreciate what they've made, and I have no desire to denigrate anybody's work. Really, DIS team, you have built something good. That said, I can echo some of the opinions here. I used to watch the show regularly, but I find myself much less interested now. I just don't relate to it like I used to. Part of that is commonalities with the contributors. Part is probably personality - I probably had better chemistry with contributors of a few years ago. Part is the tone of the show which feels different now than it did in past years.

What I first valued about The DIS was that the shows presented various voices. It is not a solo personality channel. Among those early voices appearing in the shows were some folks who had 'regular Joe' backgrounds outside Disney, but they were enthused about their hobby. That enthusiasm was contagious. If you remember the old round table with folks like Bob, John, Theresa, Kathy, Jenilynn, and the Martins, then you remember a different vibe that has slipped away.

Today's team is more characterized by full-time career Disney video creators. In no way do I mean to detract from them when I say that I do miss the diverse voices of the past.
Man what I what give for Kevin's dining reviews to come back.

Not only is the OP correct but the attacks for having an opinion other than agreement is an even bigger problem. I would add that the opinions of the Dis that disregard everyone with children is even worse. There is zero family perspective on this show which is about a destination designed for children and families. Sometimes the truth hurts and we arent asking for pixie dust in or shorts, but we surely dont want disunplugged diarrhea in there either. I much prefer Nate and Paging Mr Morrow or The Tim Tracker … They get it
The truth is many of the people on the show do have families. There are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, etc. Some have children, some have grown-up children. So the idea there is zero family perspective is patently false. Nothing against the others you mentioned, but on the whole I find the Dis crew to provide the most honest and realistic information, and I am not local and I visit WDW with family, even by your narrow definition.

I really enjoy all the different perspectives on the show. I really like the addition of some younger people joining the table. The demographic really was skewing much older so injecting some youth is good for balance. There is no way to have a show about Disney and not talk about kids and give tips and pointers. For the love of churros.

Lots of noise and complaining lately about Pete. It's odd to me. He's a cantankerous, cranky, very opinionated dude. But you know what, he's as sweet as pie in person. He really is. So many people just egg him on to "go off" and really let loose. They can't wait for him to get back and give his opinion about something clearly bad. So, as much as folks are griping about how negative he is, they also love it and can't wait for it.

As for being locals--THEY ARE! It's their perspective. There is so much content they put out, surely to Mickey there's something there for you to enjoy.

It is still possible to be local and do tourist things. I agree that content by locals is much different than content by non locals. Just look at one channel not to be named. Their content changed drastically when they moved to Orlando. I don't think there is a problem with providing information as a local, but shows like these can easily bring in guests virtually to provide a different perspective. Or they could do the non local thing, book a Disney resort and ticket package and stay at the resort and do things that a usual Disney guest would do. There is additional expense there that they don't really want to spend as locals though.

What would many of these content creators do if Disney stopped offering annual passes, including renewals?

As a non-local, I really do not see an issue with evaluations coming from a locals. An experience is an experience. Minnie Vans are Minnie Vans. They are what they are and they cost what they cost. If my personal value equation changes while I am on vacation, that is on me to understand and apply to the information and opinions given. Expecting any Disney site to know what I want and what I value is unrealistic. Only I know that.

Further, as others have pointed out, high volume fan sites are going to have content provided primarily by locals. Its the only way to put out consistent contact AND to cover all the things the fans want covered. How to use that information is entirely on the individual. These sites are not supposed to be telling you what to think. That's your job.

It is still possible to be local and do tourist things. I agree that content by locals is much different than content by non locals. Just look at one channel not to be named. Their content changed drastically when they moved to Orlando. I don't think there is a problem with providing information as a local, but shows like these can easily bring in guests virtually to provide a different perspective. Or they could do the non local thing, book a Disney resort and ticket package and stay at the resort and do things that a usual Disney guest would do. There is additional expense there that they don't really want to spend as locals though.

What would many of these content creators do if Disney stopped offering annual passes, including renewals?

What's the difference between a Local and a Non-Local? Pretty much not too much; how we get there and how often we go. I consider myself "local" and I'm an hour and 20 minute drive away. Two thirds of my trips I stay at a resort on Disney property.

And how often we go isn't really part of my definition. Would someone from Miami who flies to Orlando be considered a Local? How about someone from Key West, local or not? How about Jackie Gailey? She lives in Jacksonville. What's your dividing line? How far? Do they stay in a hotel? Do they have AP's? How often do they visit?

What's the difference between a Local and a Non-Local? Pretty much not too much; how we get there and how often we go. I consider myself "local" and I'm an hour and 20 minute drive away. Two thirds of my trips I stay at a resort on Disney property.

And how often we go isn't really part of my definition. Would someone from Miami who flies to Orlando be considered a Local? How about someone from Key West, local or not? How about Jackie Gailey? She lives in Jacksonville. What's your dividing line? How far? Do they stay in a hotel? Do they have AP's? How often do they visit?
I’ll bite. More than 2 hours away and more likely requires a flight in. Yeah, you could theoretically drive from Alaska, but I think we all know what we’re looking at.

I mean, I certainly would hope that someone who lives in Winter Garden treats a trip to WDW differently than someone who lives in Phoenix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter