The $500 Debate: Coronado Springs or SSR?

Justplainchy

Mouseketeer
Hello wonderful disboarders! The ladylove and I have booked a welcome-back-to-the-world-we're-vaccindated-hooray trip for five days in June. Here's the debate: looking at prices, we're torn between staying at Coronado Springs (non-tower room) and Saratoga Springs Resort. The price difference is about $500 total.

The debate: We stayed at Coronado for our Disneymoon in 2019. We loved it! BUT we also love staying at new resorts (and are trying to stay at all of them eventually). We have never stayed at SSR. We like that SSR is walking distance to Disney Springs because we're usually rope drop to fireworks people and will likely wander over there in the evenings if the parks are still doing limited hours. We're okay with the layout of either room: we're two adults, no kids. So the question is this: is SSR and being at a deluxe worth the extra $500 for what might be a more resort-centric trip? Or should we save the $500 for souvenirs and dining and enjoy Coronado again? I read a few reviews that the non-tower part of Coronado is a bit more rundown, is that true people that have stayed there in the past two years?

Thanks in advance for any support/advice you can give!

I had not too long ago posted the question "Is Saratoga Springs worth it?" so the answers in that thread may be helpful to you (though we are a family with 2 preschoolers). I stayed at Coronado in fall 2017 and loved it, but the walking to Disney Springs is a very appealing aspect of SSR. If everything goes as planned, I will be staying at SSR for a couple of days this November.

I would save the money for food and the fun stuff... one must ask "how many hours, will I be at the resort"?

SSR is in the process of being totally renovated and the new rooms are fantastic. I would say, yes it is worth $500 to stay in the new rooms and be able to walk to disney springs whenever you want. It really is a great perk.

So the question is this: is SSR and being at a deluxe worth the extra $500 for what might be a more resort-centric trip?
I've stayed at both CSR and SSR several times. Frankly, SSR does not feel that much more deluxe than CSR. IMO, the biggest difference is the balcony at SSR. If you like a place to hang out in the morning or after you return in the evening, then the balcony is great.

Obviously, SSR is close to Disney Springs. Some buildings are a short walk, others are a short walk to the boat ride to Disney Springs. But many (most?) of the rooms are not that convenient. Timewise, I'm not sure waiting for a bus back to CSR is going to be much longer than getting back to most rooms at SSR.

You mentioned that "we're usually rope drop to fireworks people and will likely wander over there in the evenings if the parks are still doing limited hours." I'd google map it to get a sense of the size of SSR to get a sense of just how wandering over there might work for you, depending on what building you are in. SSR is the largest DVC resort and some of the rooms are far away.

SSR.jpg

If you think you might make use of the kitchen and save money on meals, then SSR would be worth the extra cost. Another potential option - have you priced the Port Orleans resorts? You can easily boat to Disney Springs. You also might also want to price Hilton Buena Vista Palace - it's actually easier to get to Disney Springs than Saratoga.

I wouldn't with that price difference. $100/night is a lot just for proximity to Disney Springs. If the price delta shrunk it might be but that's just too much IMO.

Some buildings are a short walk, others are a short walk to the boat ride to Disney Springs.
Are the boats currently running? I thought I saw somewhere that they weren't.
If you think you might make use of the kitchen and save money on meals, then SSR would be worth the extra cost. Another potential option - have you priced the Port Orleans resorts? You can easily boat to Disney Springs. You also might also want to price Hilton Buena Vista Palace - it's actually easier to get to Disney Springs than Saratoga.
Port Orleans doesn't have a reopening date yet.

I'd probably consider renting from a DVC owner if those were the choices. SSR is generally available on the rental market and you'd probably come out even. You just don't get housekeeping. Cancellation with an owner will be much more restrictive than Disney.
That's a good idea.

What dates in June?
There's still very good DVC availability at SSR, AKL, and Poly.

DVCPoints/NightCost at $16 per point (taxes/fees included)Notes
SSR standard14$224
SSR preferred16$256These rooms are close to DS. I think all refurbished now.
AKL savannah18$288Lovely!
Poly standard23$368Pricey but fun :)

Just our families opinion:) We always thought that SSR and OKW are pretty much on par with the Mods and not really "worth" any more $$. But if are just wanting to try a different resort, then yeah, go for it if the $500 extra isn't a real big deal. We have paid more to stay at a different resort just because we wanted to try it:)
Like a previous poster mentioned, SSR is readily available through renting DVD points.

Yes! We stayed at a Value in 1996 bought into DVC at OKW and never looked back and recently purchased two more contracts. In fact we are closing on a SSR contract next week. It is more home like rather than hotel like with a private porch, larger rooms and bathrooms and a neighborhood vibe. Enjoy!

Personally I would go with a 1BR at SS and I would always stay deluxe over a moderate

At this point, you're only guaranteed a refurbished SSR room if you book preferred. Personally, I'd stick to CSR until SSR is completely refurbished. And the boats are not running right now, either.

I will tell you what I would do. I’d book CSR as my safety net. Then I would start stalking the rent/trade board for the next few months until I found a deal that saved me even more money than my existing booking. You would have to be willing to risk no cancellation but as your trip becomes closer you’d probably feel more stable in that aspect.
I also need to add the disclaimer that I’ve never stayed at either resort. So it really is 2 cent worth of an opinion lol. However, SSR seems superior to CSR.

i dont know what your dates are but DVCrentalstore.com is showing dvc rental availability including a studio preferred room at saratoga springs for a really good price for first week of june. i didnt check other dates.
preferred rooms are closet to disney springs.

dvc rental store only requires partial payment to book and does have a cancellation policy.(as discussed on a recent vlog on youtube-dvcfan channel- which is a channel created by dreams unlimited travel owner.

i am not sure how much u are willing to spend but wdw official website sometimes has really good rates through special offers page on coronado springs gran destino tower rooms(i am not sure when it will reopen, however.

Last edited:
For a non-park trip, you would need a car to go to and from CSR. From SSR, you could easily walk to DS for variety. SSR has four pools to choose from.

We were in this same debate! SSR was actually cheaper than CSR for us if we rent DVC points for a studio. However CSR is our home away from home so to speak. We were there May/June 2019 as well as way back in 2009. We love it there! Ranchos was a bit of a walk to the main hub but the scenery is beautiful! They were finishing up touches on the Tower and the bar/grill on the water when were last there. We decided to stay at the tower (standard) last night. I will still keep a look out for other discounts but our family is happy with our choice !

CSR is not my favorite mod, but it is MILES better than the glorified golf community that is SSR. Even with the horsey redo, I have no desire to stay there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter