The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Ok, so I know i'm SUPER late to this party...but I just have to tell you that my kids are also named Alice and Rowan! I just about fell out of my chair when I read that in your intro. Not very popular names (esp. Alice) and to have BOTH names the same is also nuts.

Anyhoo--back to reading :)
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Oh no!! One is NEVER late or too late to this TR! Everyone is welcome and I'm tickled you're here!!

Here are a couple of recent photos of my lil Alice and Mr. Rowan (grandbabies- I'm old!):

:C4BE7F1D-0EA1-4CF0-9837-1CA23DBD2E70.jpeg
E7479543-174E-4EF1-9447-E39E6D17AD2C.jpeg

You are right, not very common at all! But their mommy is VERY Irish, so Irish names they got. And they fit them perfectly.

I hope you are enjoying the chapters and will continue to post and join the chatter here. :) You're always welcome to add to the fracus!! :hug:

Time for a little real life update to fill the time until I can get another batch of photos edited and sorted. :)

I'm now 2 1/2 weeks post-op and able to be up and around a lot more than even last week. I can, and have been, going all day now without a pain pill, but still needing them to get through the night. Being in one position too long (like when I sleep) is rough so I've been struggling with insomnia quite a bit. It doesn't help that I'm bored beyond belief, so my sleep cycle is all messed up with the need for medication at night, naps, etc...

In other news, because when it rains it pours... my car started acting up a month or so ago and a couple of days ago it ran rough enough that the orange light of death came on. After a visit to the mechanic (and $99 later in diagnostics), I learned that it will take more to get it running reliably enough for my own peace of mind than the car is worth. So... it appears I will be buying a car in the next few days, possibly even tomorrow.

YAY.

Oh sure that's exciting and all, but the bills for my surgery have yet to start pouring in, I'm broke from Christmas, on disabilty at only 60% of my base pay until I can go back to work, yada, yada yada....

When it rains, it hails.

Speaking of going back to work... I had originally planned to return to work on the 13th after being off 4 weeks. That's not going to happen.

1. My official post-op appt. isn't until the 15th which is mid-week. So I can't even get a return-to-work clearance until then.

2. I'm just getting the feeling that I simply won't be ready physically until the 1st week of February. As I said, I still tire quite easily. Even changing the sheets on my bed winds me and by 3:00PM I'm needing a nap or at least a rest.

There is no light duty at work, meaning if there's a code, I need to be ready to give compressions and run a code. Right now? No way.

The moral of the story is that neck surgery isn't a piece of cake, at least it hasn't been for me. I don't however, think that most folks have the unfortunate circumstances of a surgical injury to deal with. Time will heal that, but it's going to take PT, patience, possibly pain injections or nerve blocks, and long-term medications.

Tomorrow, I'll be out car shopping for the better part of the day in the Portland area, but sure hope to catch up on your threads soon. My son and his little family are still in the area, and I've gotten to see them a few times which has been the delight of my heart. My little grandbabies are incredibly precious and give testimony to how, in the midst of some difficult life circumstances, unbelievably blessed I really am. I have food to eat, a warm apartment to be in, a comfy bed, insurance, and overall good health.

2020 is going to be a GREAT year and I pray it's one of happiness, health, and personal growth for each you too!

Happy New Year, All!

Ouch, sorry about needing a new car. Shopping for that necessity is brutal; I'm hoping the process goes quick and painless for you. (And not too rough on the wallet. :sad2: )

Your photograph of the Oregan coast is gorgeous. Breathtaking; I could legitimately see that as a framed piece. If you ever come across an opportunity to submit it somewhere, you really should.

How unnerving for your kids to witness the medical emergency right next to them during the China show. And how kind of you to assist in aiding the woman.

I love your movie proposal. Who wouldn't want to see the brave figurines of the Germany pavilion guarding there home and keeping it safe from outlandish enemies? (And now having befriended many Germans, many would love the twisted humor of giants lizard invading their villages.:rotfl2:)

Hey, it's about as official as the ChunkyDump
The ChunkyDump is very official.
But, but what if they didn't screw it on right?!
Oh I’m sure they didn’t.
This cruise in Sept outght be very interesting.

back to read later. Work calls.

Very.
Cruise?
Holy cow!! I just watched the 5 minute video in full and was ... mesmorized! I can''t even IMAGINE who dazzling it'd be in person! THE PLANES TAKE OFF!! The whole thing is just incredibly amazing.

Thanks for sharing that!
We'll see out of this lot who gets there first!
It’s on!!

Oh boy, I’m sorry your car is giving out now, bummer! I hope you find he perfect one to fit your budget and needs. We have to drive all wheel up here or you might as well not go out, haha!

I’ve been a nurse long enough to know your body and mind need adequate recovery and they will let you know! The worst thing to do is push and end up missing more work down the road. Shopping for a car all day is going to take a lot out of you. Rest and hydrate. Did you know drinking tons of water helps pain and your feeling of well being, I’m sure you do!

I would give kinesiology tape a try down your arm, it really works wonders!

I'm now 2 1/2 weeks post-op and able to be up and around a lot more than even last week. I can, and have been, going all day now without a pain pill, but still needing them to get through the night. Being in one position too long (like when I sleep) is rough so I've been struggling with insomnia quite a bit. It doesn't help that I'm bored beyond belief, so my sleep cycle is all messed up with the need for medication at night, naps, etc...
I totally understand the sleep deprivation part of all that. I can't imagine doing it with pain as well, though. But... sounds like incremental improvement is happening and that's a very good thing. :)
So... it appears I will be buying a car in the next few days, possibly even tomorrow.
Hmmm... you're obviously not thrilled, but... I'm thinking you'll be pretty happy once it's done.
Oh sure that's exciting and all, but the bills for my surgery have yet to start pouring in, I'm broke from Christmas, on disabilty at only 60% of my base pay until I can go back to work, yada, yada yada....
Okay... maybe not.
What kind of car are you looking for? Porsche? Ferrari? Lambo?
When it rains, it hails.
So you'll hail a cab. Check.
The moral of the story is that neck surgery isn't a piece of cake, at least it hasn't been for me. I don't however, think that most folks have the unfortunate circumstances of a surgical injury to deal with. Time will heal that, but it's going to take PT, patience, possibly pain injections or nerve blocks, and long-term medications.
:hug:
Tomorrow, I'll be out car shopping for the better part of the day in the Portland area
Good luck!
My son and his little family are still in the area, and I've gotten to see them a few times which has been the delight of my heart. My little grandbabies are incredibly precious and give testimony to how, in the midst of some difficult life circumstances, unbelievably blessed I really am.
Awww... :) I saw the kiddos on fb. Cute. :)

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Oh no!! One is NEVER late or too late to this TR! Everyone is welcome and I'm tickled you're here!!

Here are a couple of recent photos of my lil Alice and Mr. Rowan (grandbabies- I'm old!):

:View attachment 462127
View attachment 462128

You are right, not very common at all! But their mommy is VERY Irish, so Irish names they got. And they fit them perfectly.

I hope you are enjoying the chapters and will continue to post and join the chatter here. :) You're always welcome to add to the fracus!! :hug:

Adorable! Yep! My Alice is older as well. They're about 2.5yrs apart and thick as thieves most of the time. Sometimes I feel very outnumbered lol! My dad is British, so we went with traditional for Alice and just really liked the name Rowan. He's got a streak of red in his hair so I guess he's Irish enough lol.

So sorry to hear nights are a struggle. Glad that your days are getting easier and you are able to be up and about more often.
In other news, because when it rains it pours... my car started acting up a month or so ago and a couple of days ago it ran rough enough that the orange light of death came on. After a visit to the mechanic (and $99 later in diagnostics), I learned that it will take more to get it running reliably enough for my own peace of mind than the car is worth. So... it appears I will be buying a car in the next few days, possibly even tomorrow.
NO!!!!That is awful. :(
peaking of going back to work... I had originally planned to return to work on the 13th after being off 4 weeks. That's not going to happen.

1. My official post-op appt. isn't until the 15th which is mid-week. So I can't even get a return-to-work clearance until then.

2. I'm just getting the feeling that I simply won't be ready physically until the 1st week of February. As I said, I still tire quite easily. Even changing the sheets on my bed winds me and by 3:00PM I'm needing a nap or at least a rest.

There is no light duty at work, meaning if there's a code, I need to be ready to give compressions and run a code. Right now? No way.
You just have to take it a bit at a time, you'll get there as long as you take it slowly.
My little grandbabies are incredibly precious and give testimony to how, in the midst of some difficult life circumstances, unbelievably blessed I really am. I have food to eat, a warm apartment to be in, a comfy bed, insurance, and overall good health.
So true and it's good to take a moment and focus on the positives when you are in the middle of really stressful times. :hug:
2020 is going to be a GREAT year and I pray it's one of happiness, health, and personal growth for each you too!
Happiest of New Year wishes to you, Liesa. May 2020 be everything you wish it to be. :goodvibes

Sorry that your recovery is not going as swift as you had hoped, but saw on FB that you did get a new car. Yay for that! I completely relate since we got new cars last year!
I hope your financial situation improves soon!

First . . . Love the photos of the grand babies. Bald heads are so kissable.:)

Second. . .Glad there is some improvement in your post-op condition.

I like the way you partake of so many snacks during your visit. I tend to go for meals and therefore don't do snacks, but I'm beginning to see the error of my ways. :thumbsup2

I hate the game of car shopping, but looks like you may have played and won. Hope so.

Ouch, sorry about needing a new car. Shopping for that necessity is brutal; I'm hoping the process goes quick and painless for you. (And not too rough on the wallet. :sad2: )

It was really crappy timing for sure. But I found a nice set of wheels that should last me a very long time. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs for sure, but have that peace of mind which is worth quite a lot.

Your photograph of the Oregan coast is gorgeous. Breathtaking; I could legitimately see that as a framed piece. If you ever come across an opportunity to submit it somewhere, you really should.

Thanks! I really think it might be my favorite photo I've taken of a landscape in years. I think though to submit it I'd need to photoshop the halo out of it. :)

How unnerving for your kids to witness the medical emergency right next to them during the China show. And how kind of you to assist in aiding the woman.

I think we all knew she'd be okay, but from what the kids say, she hit her head HARD. Which made me wonder if the vomiting was due to a concussion. :(

I love your movie proposal. Who wouldn't want to see the brave figurines of the Germany pavilion guarding there home and keeping it safe from outlandish enemies? (And now having befriended many Germans, many would love the twisted humor of giants lizard invading their villages.:rotfl2:)

See?! I really think it's a fun idea, even if it IS quirky.

The ChunkyDump is very official.

It's sweeping the World as the #2 attraction!

Oh I’m sure they didn’t.

I'm beginning to think you're right.

:crazy:
Well.... I've been pretty hush hush about it, mostly because we're still planning... but...

Kari and I are headed to the Greek Isles and Italy in September. We're sailing on The Explorer of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. We have a 3 day pre-cruise stay touring Rome and Florence, and I'm adding a solo week to visit Venice and POSSIBLY take the train from either Milan or Venice to Frankfurt and visit Magdalene in Nuremberg. LOTS still up in the air and being planned, but for sure stops are Syacuse, Sicily; Chania, Crete; Mykonos; Athens; Santonini; Naples. I won't get back at Naples (the last day before the cruise ends back in Rome) and tour on my own from there. Anywho... getting excited, but still have some travel before that that I want to focus on. :)

Oh boy, I’m sorry your car is giving out now, bummer! I hope you find he perfect one to fit your budget and needs. We have to drive all wheel up here or you might as well not go out, haha!

Well, now I just have to get the old one sold. But, I love my new wheels and feel more confident about getting around reliably. Our main issue is hydroplaning on wet roads, but good tires help. :)

I’ve been a nurse long enough to know your body and mind need adequate recovery and they will let you know! The worst thing to do is push and end up missing more work down the road. Shopping for a car all day is going to take a lot out of you. Rest and hydrate. Did you know drinking tons of water helps pain and your feeling of well being, I’m sure you do!

I was originalll slated for 4 weeks off, but given that things didn't quite as smoothly as hoped for, I'm thinking a first week of Feb is more reasonable. And you are right, the car shopping definitely wore me out. Today was a bit slower, although I did a lot of cleaning and I pooped out around 3:00. I am trying hard to hydrate well, but that is my weakness; thanks for the reminder!!! :)

I would give kinesiology tape a try down your arm, it really works wonders!

I'm hoping to be cleared/ referred to PT on the 15th. They use the tape a lot and I will totally ask if that's a good way to go or add to the modalities I'm already using. :)

I totally understand the sleep deprivation part of all that. I can't imagine doing it with pain as well, though. But... sounds like incremental improvement is happening and that's a very good thing. :)

I can make it about 4 hours at night at a time, and lately after that, I simply cannot get back to sleep even WITH the muscle relaxant. :( Maybe my biothrhythms are the last thing (aside from the arm) to even out and get back into whack. But, yes YOU ARE right. Each day I am feeling a bit better and the pain in the arm is a tiny bit less with ups and downs along the way.

Hmmm... you're obviously not thrilled, but... I'm thinking you'll be pretty happy once it's done.

Not thrilled in the least with the timing. At ALL! But it is what it is. I AM happy with my new car (photo below) and all the bells and whistles it has. I love the onboard navigation, but the heated seats and remote start even more. ;)

So you'll hail a cab. Check.

Almost had to the other day.

Awww... :) I saw the kiddos on fb. Cute. :)

They are super cute, and I got to hold Declan today for almost and hour. :D

Adorable! Yep! My Alice is older as well. They're about 2.5yrs apart and thick as thieves most of the time. Sometimes I feel very outnumbered lol! My dad is British, so we went with traditional for Alice and just really liked the name Rowan. He's got a streak of red in his hair so I guess he's Irish enough lol.

I do have to confess, every time I hear the name Rowan I think of Mr. Bean. I love the name though and my little has a perfect little smile.

Yep, even a little streak count!! LOL!

So sorry to hear nights are a struggle. Glad that your days are getting easier and you are able to be up and about more often.

I'm sure they will eventually even out. I'm just so out of my normal routine and the pain meds, naps, everything just threw everything off. As those become less often, I'm sure it'll even out.

NO!!!!That is awful. :(

The timing was sure awful, but it what it is. :)

You just have to take it a bit at a time, you'll get there as long as you take it slowly.

Slow but sure wins the race. Each day is a bit better with minor setbacks along the way, but generally speaking, it's an upward trend, and things arre so much better than before!

So true and it's good to take a moment and focus on the positives when you are in the middle of really stressful times. :hug:

It really does help one's outlook for sure. :)

Happiest of New Year wishes to you, Liesa. May 2020 be everything you wish it to be. :goodvibes

Thank you, Susuan! Many happy returns to you!

Sorry that your recovery is not going as swift as you had hoped, but saw on FB that you did get a new car. Yay for that! I completely relate since we got new cars last year!
I hope your financial situation improves soon!

Yep, new car and each day is a bit better. Slow but sure, I'll get there.

And... I love your new car(s). The one I got to ride in is so spacious and comfy! Mine, being a crossover, is a bit more rough of a ride, but really overall very comfortable. the reviews I read online said one complaint was visibility issues out the back. I don't find that to be true. Plus, it has the blindspot sensors which really help. Especially with my neck having less mobility... I don't have to should check as aggressively.

I don’t know if I can chalk it up to age, just being generally distracted, dull, or otherwise.
Well, whatever it is you're not alone. Last night (I am still working night shift until I get a break Wednesday), I was running a bit behind so didn't have time to pack my ham sandwich. I decided it would be faster to throw all the ingredients into a bag and make it at work, so I quickly tossed bread, cheese, mayo into a bag. Do you notice what may be missing in order to make a ham sandwich? Luckily I had a box of granola bars in my desk, or else I would have been eating bread with mayonnaise.

Still giggling like a 10-year old schoolgirl, because I’m just that immature,
I guess that makes two of us since I am giggling about it right now.

The kids were a little peckish, so I grabbed them the Pasta Gratin and a strudel to munch on. All 4 of us nibbled a bit, enjoying 3 or 4 bites per person. They are decent picks- consistent and tasty, but not amazing.
I've had the Pasta Gratin. I liked it, but there was something a bit off about the cheese curds, I think I found the texture a little odd.

Yes, Mark (@Captain_Oblivious ) they still have the dead grapes which IMHO, make the strudel that much better. I'll take your portion, thank you very much.
As for the dead grapes, I'm with @Captain_Oblivious on that one. The only time I eat raisins is when they are covered in chocolate.

Now, it's YOUR turn...

1) My movie needs a title.

2) Would you be sad if they took out the train set?
Train Wars: Attack of the Gnomes
Takes place during Flower & Garden. The gnomes from the England pavilion decide they like the Germany train set better than their garden. They all come to life at night. Chaos ensues. It's going to be riveting.
Yes, I would be very sad if the train was gone. I always like to have a quick look at it. But then I felt the same about the fountain....

I had a similar situation this summer. I chose a new vehicle too. It's not easy financially, but a new car sure is nice.

That's rough. I hope you are able to get back to work as soon as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter