The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Well it doesn't happen often and I know I've skipped an update or two, but for the most part now I'm caught up! And very glad the heat didn't do you in at the Halloween party because I started sweating just looking at the pictures of you in your costume knowing how hot it was :scared::scared:

I've probably said this before but I love how you get something from each country and I love the perimeters you set for what you pick up. I should try it; we've gotten the kids candy from each country (well most, as you say there are a couple that just stink in terms of finding something, edible or not) but I haven't tried for myself. And so many of the items you pick up I see and think "wow that really IS a useful item!"

here could be so much amazing merchandise like handcrafts from Amish country, specialty products from each state like small batch spirits from Oregon, Hatch chilis from New Mexico, or Mardi Gras items from Louisiana.
Amen :worship: all of those are great suggestions. Maple syrup from Vermont too! It's a shame.

Tutto Gusto is one of our favorite places. And we always get the La Siciliana! We do usually get 2 of these small plates and then Steve throws in an order of their meatballs lol and we do leave full, but yes one plate for 2 is just a snack.

:) My commenting time has been very limited lately, but I had to give a tip of my hat to your Gander reference.
Just curious if you know about Gander from your aviation pursuit?
Or perhaps from "Come From Away"?
I must admit to not having spent much time in Gander. Driven through several times on the way somewhere. But never really stayed there very long, just a meal I think.

I was wondering who might have picked up on that and thought one of them might be you. :) Just from 9-11 and reading. Of course I also know the play took place there and what an outpouring of hospitality and pulling together! Someday, I sure would like to visit your neck of the woods to see places like that. :)

I have proclaimed a favourite several times, and I think it's probably been different every time.
Each one has its own charm.

Mine kinda keeps shifting too. I really love Morocco, but Japan and the UK are really growing on me.

If you're just talking about the pavilion itself, not thinking about food, snacks, drinks, I think I would say Morocco. There's something about the fountains in the back. I always like to take a quick walk in there. It breaks the heat a little and almost always there is nobody in there.

YES! I love the tile work on those. And you're right, it's a place to escape the noise and crowds for a bit. :goodvibes

Add a pavilion. Australia? They have such a unique culture.

I think that ended up being the one that came up most. It'd be fun to see what Disney would do. I guess the wienie would be the Opera House? Maybe?

I mostly power walk. Julie keeps telling me to slow down.

Julie is right.

This is true, it's a great-looking pavilion.

I love how they keep changing up the flowers so it's always different.

Morocco is really great for gawking.

You mean at this?

I always have high hopes for BBQ.

I haven't read any reviews yet... stand by.

You're killing all of my comments here.

It's like a TR governor.

Looks like it would hold puke, too!

Sure, just let me put in a plastic bag to line it with.

Hey, I know the feeling. That's why my updates are so slow.

Gives us time to read without getting behind, so that's something.

Hmm...good question. From a visual standpoint, I find myself drawn to Germany, Morocco and Canada the most. It was Canada hands-down before they transformed Le Cellier into a frou-frou place.

I heard Mama Melrose's the best place for a non- frou-frou steak now.

I wish Germany had an indoor area that wasn't fully taken up with the restaurant like they have in Mexico. For a little shade and all. Sure the shops are, but so little atmosphere in those.

Australia, New Zealand or Switzerland. Mostly because they're the places I most want to travel to. If we need something more exotic, it seems like South America and Africa are under-represented. I bet Disney could do an amazing Egyptian pavilion.

There it is again. I think Australia is winning hand's down here on this question. Yes, S. America is a good one too. But for Africa, I think they would not do at EPCOT because of the heavy job they did in AK and AKL. Egypt's come up a fair bit too and I can see the Sphinx or a Pyramid being done.

Thanks for the saunter on this chilly afternoon!! :) I love the idea to pick up a little something in each country. It got me thinking...I'm not sure I have ever purchased anything from from walks around the world!! I LOVE looking through all the shops, but never seem to bring anything home. WAIT! As I type that, I am realizing, on my very first Disney trip I bought a gigantic Winnie the Pooh plush in the UK pavilion LOL I had to sit on my suitcase to force it to zip shut with him inside. But nothing since him, I think!!

You're very welcome!! Now, you can come to dinner with us! ;)

That's funny you bought something so big but so loveable too!! Squeeze!! I hope on your next trip you can find some really nice things to bring home to be fun reminders of WS!

I always find it so interesting when there are rumors of another pavilion being added. For one, even though I know there is room for several more countries, when I'm actually there walking around I can't imagine how they'd squeeze them in!

I know, they hide the backstage areas so well! Maybe someday...

But at least you brought your underwear.

It's always a dicey proposition in that area, ain't it?

No, that's where you're supposed to start. You can always circle back.

Nope, too much extra walking.

No! You start with a margarita then have that slush later in the day when it is hotter!

Wait, can we start with one and END with one too?

I blame @pkondz

:laughing:

And that is why you start in Mexico!!!

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I sometimes do that too. ;)

This one is tough. I love the feel of the Italy pavilion as Italy is a place I want to visit and the architecture and feel of that pavilion does kind of transport me there (not to mention I LOVE Via Napoli), but I'm going to go with Mexico. The kids love It's a Small Mexico, DW & I love the margaritas, and I just really love the atmosphere of the night time market inside the pavilion. It's always a great place to escape the hot Florida sun and relax and cool off.

You love Via Napoli?! I had no idea!! ;)

I always have such a hard time picking one too, and this one definitely offers a nice respite from the heat and I do love the night market vibe. The last couple of times I walked by the IASM, the line was LONG! Way too long for a short boat ride, but I do like it too. Missed it the last couple of trips.

Australia. It's such a diverse country/continent. There's a lot of things in that country that I'm fascinated with and would love to visit. I'd like to have a part of it brought to Disney World!

There it is AGAIN!! The clear winner here. Although any addition I'm sure would be welcome. The Land Down Under is a bucket list item for me, but lower than Italy, East Africa, and the Canadian Maritimes.

I agree, it's a beautiful.

I like how they are always changing up the flowers in there so it's different every time.

We usually enjoy the entertainment here too.

I am one who really doesn't miss Off Kilter that much. A little too loud for my taste. I do love bagpipes but this was just too much "noise" for me. This new group is a really nice addition with great vocals.

Lovely photo!

Thanks!

So much to see in here.

Absolutely!

We love them and try to catch them every trip now.

The wait is always worth it!

I hope you find a place for this. I love the bright colors./

Me too!! I will. I think I need to use some copper wire and get 'er done.

Australia. Different continent.

AGREED!!

Yay! This is my favorite part of your reports. I really love seeing what you end up finding in each pavilion, because I feel like you always end up with great stuff. Plus, it gives me a lot of inspiration. I am terrible at looking at merchandise and picturing a use for something (maybe that's why I never buy anything) but I really want to try to put in more of an effort on future trips. Because incorporating little WS touches around the house sounds wonderful. :goodvibes
I love 9/11's of my choices this year. As usual Canada and America sucked. When, OH WHEN, will they get a merchandiser who knows what the hell they are doing?!

I love that they don't scream Disney, but are rather subtle reminders of my time there. Disney, especially WS is about so much more than characters and movies.

As always ...love your trip reports!
Also as always...... to start on page 1 or page 70 .... decisions, decisions ... :shamrock::flower3::rotfl2:

The Canadian coaster is really retro. It reminds me of something I would see at a super club in a resort area in the 1950's. It is cute.

I never thought of that! You might just be able to change my mind on this!

We checked out the exhibit and it was very interesting. I never knew about the races they have in Morrocco. marathons, ultra marathons, really long races in the dessert.

I didn't know about the races either! When we visited Dubai years ago we did a Dune 4-Wheel drive tour that ended up at a desert meal with dancing and music. It was fun! Made all of us car sick but was still a blast!!

There is a lot of bad food at Disney, but Liberty Inn was the worst. We are hoping that the new restaurant is good.

Indeed it was. I am anxiously awaiting the new reviews to start rolling out. It needed something so badly in there!!

That little bag is adorable. It is much nicer than the Ziplock bag that I use.

Oh trust me, I used a ziplock on occasion too, if that. Mostly just a tangled mess. This is so much better!

I would really like to try this place on our next trip. But we won't stand in a long line.

If you're willing to drink early right at 11:00 when they open, that's when to go! Hey, it's 5:00 somewhere, right? Early snack of Queso is always a good start to the day!!

I like the Japanese pavilion. The store is full of interesting things and they have a museum there. The exhibits change more frequently than some of the other countries.
It really is! And they have pick-a-pearl. That's fun. :) And someday, I'd love to try the sake tasting.

The Japanese Cutsies exhibit has been there a while and I'd love to see a change again.

I haven't been in that shop in years. And even then I think I've only been in there once. Maybe because it takes an elevator to get there.

That I can see! But can't you go around the long way down the ramp, past the theater and up by the Falls? I think so? And that'd get you to closer to the beautiful gardens and stuff.

But it does have Chip and Dale!

True enough. I guess there's that. ;)

Another store I haven't been inside for years.

You need to get in there. Although if you go in with Fran, you may never get out!

I hope so. It's getting good reviews, except for the mac n cheese.

I haven't read any yet, but only have time anymore to keep on TRs.

Sounds lovely though. I would love to visit there.

Someday!!

Do you cook with crushed red pepper that often as to have it out like that with your salt?

I actually do. I used in almost everything!!

I see what you did there! :laughing:

;) Hee-haw...

How big is that? I need a much larger bag for my charging set up.

It's really only big enough to wind up my iCharger and iWatch cords and stick in an adapter or two, and my earbuds. My power pack has to ride somewhere else.

I've never even been in that one. Lots of places I miss.

Yes, indeed. Get thee in those!

Theres the new stand outside with hardly any line!!!!!

Yes, but I don't think they have the full menu. Only mostly pre-mixed stuff if I'm not mistaken. Not the avocado one or the jalepeno ones for example.

That a tough one! Kind of like having to pick a favorite cat! As I read your TR, I'm realizing that we rarely actually go inside any of the pavilions themselves. We seem to visit during festivals where there are kiosks outside the actual pavilion. However the ones where I consistently spend my money are Mexico (margaritas), Germany (caramel), France (Marie merch).

Such a shame! There is so much to see in each one. But yes, I think those 3 are easy to spend money at!

Well I think Australia or New Zealand might be fun. Then again perhaps we should embrace our new heritage start learning more about Russia since they're our new future. Not sure if I should insert a laughing smiley or the sad one here.

And again!! It's Australia for the win here.

LOL!! I'd be far more worried about China. ;)

I dunno… I can think of a lot of names...

Do I need to get the soap out?

As long as it's still fun and you can actually find stuff... why not!?

So far, I'm good, but at some point, may have to switch it up. No ideas though.

Correct. Unless you're a pro hockey player.

No... Not even then.

No.

I was amused by this yesterday:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports...hl-game-after-being-tapped-emergency-n1141371
Oh, I hadn't heard that. About the refurb area. Had heard about the new show. Don't know anything about it, though.

I just saw a lot of scaffolding by the Falls last couple of trips. Maybe just a paint touch up.

::yes::
Some place I'd like to see some day.

I keep thinking of its rugged beauty and hospitality.

Nah. The writing's always great.

Pffffft....

Where???????

Ha ha! Gotcha!!

Well it doesn't happen often and I know I've skipped an update or two, but for the most part now I'm caught up! And very glad the heat didn't do you in at the Halloween party because I started sweating just looking at the pictures of you in your costume knowing how hot it was :scared::scared:

LOL! I'm always an update or four on your TR, so no worries!! I get how busy we all are. Glad you're caught up.

Yeah, I about died that night. :laughing: :earseek:

I've probably said this before but I love how you get something from each country and I love the perimeters you set for what you pick up. I should try it; we've gotten the kids candy from each country (well most, as you say there are a couple that just stink in terms of finding something, edible or not) but I haven't tried for myself. And so many of the items you pick up I see and think "wow that really IS a useful item!"

It's a fun challenge that I don't spend a TON of time on, but gets me into the shops to see what's there. Kinda fun!

Amen :worship: all of those are great suggestions. Maple syrup from Vermont too! It's a shame.

It really is. :( l mean think of all the foreign tourists who come through wanting an authentic souvenir and can't find one other than Disney stuff made in China? I mean isn't the whole point of WS pavilions is learning about the countries? The American one fails miserable at this.

Tutto Gusto is one of our favorite places. And we always get the La Siciliana! We do usually get 2 of these small plates and then Steve throws in an order of their meatballs lol and we do leave full, but yes one plate for 2 is just a snack.

I can see with the order of meatballs you'd be pleasantly full and it'd be a meal. Without the pricetag of the sitdown place or the noise of Via.

As always ...love your trip reports!
Also as always...... to start on page 1 or page 70 .... decisions, decisions ... :shamrock::flower3::rotfl2:

Well, looky here!!! :D

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: It's great to have you aboard! Start wherever you have time; we're gonna be here a while longer as I still have some meals and things to plow through. :)

Just as planned, we rounded out our tour(s) (remember, this combines a few strolls) through WS ending at:

P is for: Plaza de los Amigos

Perhaps a little Mariachi Cobre music to set the mood…

I adore how an eternal twilight sets the perfect tone for an evening’s dinner with friends or family. The buzz of conversations, punctuated with an occasional crying child, lends an authenticity to a Latin city square. Off in the distance a volcano smokes with life and the quiet waters reflect the lights that send travelers off on a Mexican adventure.

Our family entered the pyramid not sure of what dinner might hold. The San Angel gets quite mixed reviews, but we were hopeful that this would be a memorable dinner and we’d be rewarded with taking a chance. At the very least, the atmosphere alone would be a standout among Disney restaurants.

I checked us in at the podium and, as usual for me, I told our genial host that we were willing to wait up to half an hour for a waterside table. I’ve found that with courteous requests and being flexible almost always gets you premium spot in restaurants. And it’s always worth the wait. Especially at Disney where there is plenty to do to pass the time. I cannot remember if they took my number, or if we just said we’d check back in after 20 minutes or so, but were told it’d be about a 20-30 minute wait. I was thrilled. Off we set to explore the vendors' wares and play a little. We took the requisite shots with the oversized sombreros laughing hysterically and finding a few moments of rekindling bonds that for too long have been strained. Disney has a way of making one forget life's struggles for a while affording opportunities to discover that healing can make progress.

We found ourselves browsing the bright, intricately painted Alebrijes from Oaxaca Valley. After seeing them also on a recent trip to Tuscon, Arizona, I was intrigued about the origins and history. I found a Wiki article that gives quite a good lot of information about this art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alebrije

They were first introduced and imagined and made by Pedro Linares in the 1930’s when he fell unconscious while ill and had strange visions of bizarre animals. When he was better, he began to make paper-mache versions of what his visions portrayed. They caught the attention of a gallery owner and they caught on like wildfire from there.

We ogled at them all and kept saying to each other over and over, “This is my favorite!”, “I love this one!”, “This one is so amazing!”, etc… Maybe someday I’ll be able to afford one of my very own. Just choosing it would be a fun process!

The time passed quickly and we made our way back to the podium, either because we were texted, or because it was about time anyway, I don’t recall and it’s not in my notes. The host greeted us again and told us our table was ready and were led to a PERFECT waterside table. I couldn’t have asked for anything more wonderful. Here are the two views I took as we looked at the menus and waited for our drinks.

I ordered the house sangria knowing it would be Disney-"strong" but was okay with that as it tasted good and was refreshing. The other kids stuck with either water or Coke.

To get a kickstart on our meal we ordered up the Queso Fundito which was absolutely amazing!! A giant serving of gooey, REAL, cheese infused with Mexican sausage and other goodies. I could have made a meal from this and had a TON of leftovers. Between the 4 of us, we didn’t finish it by meal’s end. Chips and salsa rounded out our appetizer extravaganza and it’s no wonder even with only 2 dinners ordered we couldn’t finish them!!

Queso Fundido
Melted Monterey jack cheese with chorizo, poblano peppers and onions, served with flour tortillas $14

The restaurant was busy, and when we were seated every table was taken. By meal’s end, several were empty. The tables are pretty tightly packed together, which might be my only one complaint except for a few lapses in server attentiveness. We had to wait for water and in the end never did get refills when needed. But we didn’t find it to be overly loud and could hear our table conversation just fine.

As the loaded boats sailed by, our dinner choices were served. The girls split the chili relleno, which was incredibly flavorful and again…. large. They easily shared it and I also stole a few bites as well. For quality assessment, of course.

Chile Relleno-
Poblano pepper stuffed with pulled pork, pine nuts and almonds, topped with roasted tomato sauce with side of rice $28

Zach and I split the Fish of the Day which I believe had the same red sauce as the Chili Relleno, but it also was fresh, tender, and wonderfully delicious. The garlic-herb topping added a nice extra bit of flavor.

This is the Fish currently on the menu which doesn’t at ALL resemble what we got, so you might want to ask exactly what you’re getting when you order if you go with that option.

Pescado a La Tallaachiote- Marinated catch of the day served with creamy poblano potatoes and plantains topped with queso fresco and crema Mexicana; gluten-free $34

In addition, because we had no idea how gargantuan the portions would be (again, please take the portion sizes I describe with a grain of salt. We are light eaters and what is served may actually be just right for a lot for you.) we ordered a side of rice and beans as filler. That was a waste of money, as we felt a bit gauged for what they were and because we didn’t make hardly a dent in either. Now we know.

We spent the meal recounting our delightful day in WS recapping our favorite moments, snacks, music, etc… After more than an hour of thoroughly enjoying our meal, we passed on dessert feeling we’d explode if we indulged and settled our bill. I wish this photo would have turned out. :(

The walk out to the buses would be something akin to torture with my blister blooming in full glory, but we made it back to our room by 9:50. Our plan was to tackle TT and/or SE on the way out, but the lines were too long for our tired states. Falling into bed was all we could muster and we quickly fell asleep with Disney Dreams and full bellies.

Disney has a way of making one forget life's struggles for a while affording opportunities to discover that healing can make progress.

SOOOO absolutely true!!! Well said, and poetically too!
Your meal at San Angel looks really good, I have to remember the queso fundido. I wasn't too impressed the last time I went but I don't think I ordered right.

R is for: Rounding out the Day with Rides

The 999 Happy Haunts sent us on our way with wishes of short lines and conciliatory park guests. For the remainder of our short day in Disneyland, we focused on attractions that are unique to California or simply better in California… namely Pirates of the Caribbean, Snow White, Mr. Toad and It’s a Small World.

What makes POTC better? It’s WAY longer with additional scenes. My nostalgic favorite is the set up where you are taken through a dusky twilight bayou scene complete with a lone old codger playing a lazy tune on his banjo. Fireflies twinkle as you are sent off to the tropical pirate-infested locales in a splashy fashion. Marc Davis’ signature chess theme makes an appearance as well as a pirate on his haul- a scene not seen in Florida. (How’s that for top notch writing?)

The Blue Bayou, where I worked for about a year! Such a great job!

While I got zero photos that turned out from Snow White, I did enjoy her Majesty’s creepiness and her eventual demise at her own doing at the end of the ride. (Sorry for the sucky photos!)

Mr. Toad is always a favorite of mine and one of my longest standing attraction memories of my childhood. I love the zaniness of his antics and love the books even more. If you’ve never read the Wind in the Willows, it’s well worth it! Did you know A.A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh, also wrote a play adapted from the characters seen in this attraction as well? I’ve not seen it, but sure would like to!

While we spent time in Fantasyland we saw something that was an extraordinary treat; something I'd never seen before. The Pearly Band that usually hangs out around New Orleans Square came over and got onto the Caroussel and provided LIVE MUSIC for a couple of cycles! How cool is that?! I tried very hard to get a good photo, but failed in the end, but it was very neat to see.

Snow White was making the moves on a handsome young princely type, much to the mocking and scolding of her stepmom. It was full-on hilarious!

"It'll only work out if you pick up your socks and do the dishes once in a while!"

I'm sure QueeniePoo was having apoplexy when this happened:

Lastly, we headed to the veeeeeeeeery back of the park for a spin on the Happiest Cruise that Ever Sailed. If you don’t believe me, take a peek!

I know that opinions of this attraction wildly vary, but it’s a classic, I never tired of the artistry and creativity found both inside and out, and it’s got a lot of memory and meaning for me personally.

It was getting on to late afternoon and we were both beat from our middle-of-the-night departure and lack of sleep, so decided to call it a day. Under the amply warm Southern California sun, we headed towards our lockers to retrieve our bags and head to Trader Sam’s for a peek. Kari had never seen the DLR version and I’m always on the hunt for a fun new Tiki Cup. Bags in hand, we began what felt like a death march allllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way through the entire length of Downtown Disney towards the Disneyland Hotel where Trader Sam’s is. To put it in base terms, the walk sucked. It was hot, our bags were too heavy to carry that far, and we were both getting a little cranky. Not with each other, but with our situation in general. As a side note, DTD is WAY more done up for Fall than Disney Springs. There were super cool deconstructed characters, landscaping true to Autumn colors, hardscaping fun and other cool touches throughout.

We did finally arrive only to find that the Tiki Gods were not looking out for us. There were NO open tables which is not uncommon for this place. Kari wasn’t feeling well, so I stood inside lurking while she went to find a place to sit outside. Nearly 30 minutes later, 2 places at the bar opened up, I quickly snatched them up and texted Kari to come on in and join me. In that 30 -minutes or so, many folks came and left noting the crappy seating situation. It’s a super fun place to hang out, but be forewarned, the wait is often quite long to get a seat of any kind.

Love the hat tip to Paradise Falls!

I ordered the Piranha Pool which was tasty enough, but the mug!!!! Be still my heart! I adore my new mug and have it proudly sitting on a windowsill along with the other green souvie cup I got at Jock Lindsay’s this year.

I honestly don’t remember what Kari got for a drink, but do remember she got the dumplings with dipping sauce to nibble on. I tried one and it was quite tasty. I opted to save my tummy room for the dinner we planned with Fran and Alison later that night. At one point, I found my chin nearly resting ON, no really, ON the bar. What in the actual heck?! I was so confused!!! How does this happen? Kari busted out laughing, as did the folks to my right. I had NO idea it was a thing at Trader Sam's to have the trick bar stool catch one unawares. I about died laughing, rolling with knowing the joke was on me. I confess, it was wonderfully hilarious.

After our little snack and some silly shenanigans in Trader Sam's we found the cushy little seating area on the Tiki Patio complete with couches and a fireplace. During the short hour or so we waited for Alison and Fran to pick us up, I will neither confirm nor deny a legit nap was taken. How could you not in an area such as this:

Since I have NO photos of that dinner, I’ll just say that we all went out for Shabu Shabu in a nearby city. Shabu is a Japanese-style meal in which a pot of simmering broth is kept hot at your table while you cook a variety of meats, noodles, and veggies at your own pace- much like fondue but Asian. Sadly, I ordered my cooking broth MUCH too spicy and didn’t enjoy as much as I’d have liked. But the company was enjoyable and that’s what counts when you have dinner with friends!

And now, it’s YOUR turn! What ride or show or attraction holds the most nostalgic significance for you and why?

Meantime... off to start another work week... Until next time

Loved this chapter! Can’t wait to be at DLR in 2 weeks, & what you did there, that all sounded great. Love, love the pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter