The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

M is for: Mono Lake and Mighty Mountains

Bodie was absolutely fascinating, and we adored our time there, but the drive time from there to Olancha, CA was slated at over 3 hours- not including 14 potty stops (exaggeration, but not much), dinner, and photo pauses. As you’ll see, I (reluctantly) sacrificed photo stops. As with most things in life you simply can’t have your cake and eat it too. Unless your mom makes a pineapple upside-down cake which I plan to eat a slice of tonight. If only there was some Dole Whip to top it with, but I digress.

I can positively say that this stretch of highway along the Eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was some of the most scenic we encountered on our entire trek. The jagged, towering mountains that rose up straight from the high desert like meringue peaks edging a cake were stunning with the cloud formations and sunlight shafts cutting through to the valley floor. The occasional rainbow crowned the peaks making for a mesmerizing drive.

This was one of those precious few times Zach drove- it was straight and remote- so I was free to take the time to appreciate the gorgeous scenes to right.

Our next stop was Mono Lake, someplace I’d wanted to visit for decades but never had the opportunity. For a rundown on the geology of the lake and how it got its unique “tufa towers” you can click the Wiki article below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_Lake

It didn’t disappoint, and if anything, the cloudy day made for some really nice photos. Zach was being a party pooper and sat in the car while I took a very short 30-minute roundtrip saunter to the end of the boardwalk trail and back where far fewer tourists venture. Most stick closer to water’s edge that is adjacent to the parking lot.

(Wish it'd been a skooch more in focus!)

Given the time constraints and need to make it to our campsite that evening we moved on.

Just about 4:30 or so we got into Bishop, a small town of 3,700, but one that services a huge area of Eastern California ranchers, perhaps some State services employees, and probably some Mammoth ski resort workers. That said, the dining options are… dismal. We were both in the mood for some ramen, pho, or something else noodley like that. Mexican might have been good too. Or a sandwich. Or anything. We’d arrived a bit too early for much to be open, but didn’t have to wait around either. We Googled and found a promising option: Thai Thai. I plugged it in, and we ended up here:

(The airport in Bishop)

The food was as bad as the location unlikely. I ordered some lettuce wraps that were abysmally disgusting. It was literally some ground chicken sauteed up, not really broken up very finely, and some weird spice mixture tossed on and not stirred in very well. Some bites were plain, bland chicken, and some crazy salty/unmixed in seasoned. No green onion, or mushroom, or grated carrot, or anything. Just yuck. Zach’s soup was a bit better, but not inspiring enough to merit any photos. Sorry. Or perhaps, you’re welcome.

The remainder of the drive more than made up for the lackluster dinner, however. Sadly, neither my prose (nor my in-motion photos) can compete with the lovely views, but enjoy what I-395 had to offer on Day 3 of Steppe’s Cross-Country Road Trip.

Around 8:00, just about dusk, we rolled into the Olancha Resort. Trust me, there was nothing resort-like about it. But it was unique and comfortable. Definitely one of the more fun places we stayed along the way. Such a beautiful settings, but probably would have been moreso had it been a bit more set off of the highway. The roar of trucks woke me earlier than I’d have liked, but that’s okay. We needed to get on the road sooner than later. You can find more and better photos here:

https://www.bishopmotels.net/olancha-resort

Our Horse Tipi, that was handmade by Native Americans from Oregon (yes, I chuckled at the irony of that too) had a queen bed, a heater that we were thankful for, outlets to charge our devices, and plenty of light.

We were too tired for a shower that evening, but we both enjoyed one the next morning. They were primitive to be sure, but clean with plenty of hot water. In our cozy little tipi we found good sleep, and with that, it was another day behind us of seeing more of our America the Beautiful.

Last edited:
Well, if I ever get a few minutes, it will be my next chapter in my TR.
Take your time!
How could you not?!?!? ::yes::

There was a lot to choose from there.
I like that you took this one, though. It tells a story unto itself.

Sometimes I sacrifice aesthetics for storytelling and end up with a winner.
That's what I meant, sorry. Original placement not original objects.
There we go!
Pre both world wars. I would imagine... a lot.
I'd definitely agree!

Hello! Hope you're settled in to your new digs and enjoying your new job!

Getting there, and enjoying isn't quite the right word. It's been VERY challenging for sure. I'm learning a ton and that's always a good thing!
I'm loving all your travel photos, but especially this one...
Ha, thanks! I was just fooling around being silly and... it worked out this time! LOL!

Ha! I'd be rolling out of bed at 8:15 if that were the case!

No way, we'd barely scratched the surface of this cool little town and wanted to see more of it before we had to be on the road. ::yes::

So what did they serve? I couldn't tell from the photo.

Oh, shoot! I'd meant to write about that and completely forgot!

It was a breakfast casserole with sausage in it and a fruit platter. It was good, not amazing, and filled us up for the next several hours. :)
That's OK. Cool photos and now I'm caught up. Here.

Glad you're still here, Alison! :hug:

Not unless someone else orders it and gives me a taste.
I'd do that for you!

I am loving the mountain scenery in this latest leg of your trip and the horse tipi of course but then again how could one not love horse decorated sleeping quarters. Those fluffy white towels sitting on the bed look like the perfect touch of luxury. I didn’t think you’d have regular beds in there but I’m betting you were so appreciative of them ( & the shower ). Heaven after a day spent travelling for sure.

I can positively say that this stretch of highway along the Eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was some of the most scenic we encountered on our entire trek. The jagged, towering mountains that rose up straight from the high desert like meringue peaks edging a cake were stunning with the cloud formations and sunlight shafts cutting through to the valley floor. The occasional rainbow crowned the peaks making for a mesmerizing drive.

Beautiful!

We Googled and found a promising option: Thai Thai. I plugged it in, and we ended up here:

Ummm…where??

The food was as bad as the location unlikely. I ordered some lettuce wraps that were abysmally disgusting.

Ew, that sounds terrible :crazy2:

Our Horse Tipi, that was handmade by Native Americans from Oregon (yes, I chuckled at the irony of that too) had a queen bed, a heater that we were thankful for, outlets to charge our devices, and plenty of light.

That's kind of cool, and also I can never imagine myself ever staying here!

It's been VERY challenging for sure.

I can only imagine. Just the thought of starting over in a new unit makes me ill. I'm sure it'll get better soon though, hang in there!

I am loving the mountain scenery in this latest leg of your trip and the horse tipi of course but then again how could one not love horse decorated sleeping quarters. Those fluffy white towels sitting on the bed look like the perfect touch of luxury. I didn’t think you’d have regular beds in there but I’m betting you were so appreciative of them ( & the shower ). Heaven after a day spent travelling for sure.
It was just so unique! I can stay in a regular old hotel with a couple of beds in a square room any time, but it's not very often I have an opportunity like that one! :)

It was quite comfortable really, and I'd do it again!

The only night we did NOT get any sleep at all is coming up in San Antonio, but that's a ways off yet. :) Trust me, it was NOT luxurious! ;)

Ummm…where??

Sorry!!! I fixed that; it was the Bishop Airport. I just found it pretty funny that there's a Thai restaurant at the airport. Especially one of that tiny size. LOL!
Ew, that sounds terrible :crazy2:

We could have done better out of our snack stash.
That's kind of cool, and also I can never imagine myself ever staying here!

It honestly wasn't bad. The bed was comfy, we were very warm, and it was quite quiet after the truck traffic wound down. We needed to be up early anyway, so all was good. Rustic?, Yes! But a fun way to do something out of the box.
I can only imagine. Just the thought of starting over in a new unit makes me ill. I'm sure it'll get better soon though, hang in there!

It's just a lot of NEW to me. I'm not practiced in vascular or thoracic surgeries at all. Vents and chest tubes are also a new world to me. But my teammates are very patient and helpful. I think I finally have the knack with art lines. ;) Every day it's something new and I'm learning a ton, but holy crap it's stressful!!!! There is NO break between patients (2:1 a lot of the time too) and I'm just exhausted from the mental stress on top of the 12 day on my feet.

I'm operating on an extreme lack of sleep, so don't mind me if the comments don't always come out quite right. Or this sentence either.
the drive time from there to Olancha, CA was slated at over 3 hours- not including 14 potty stops (exaggeration, but not much),
Heh. I always consider 3 hours as pretty much just about there.
I might not do 14 (or any) potty stops, mind you.
As with most things in life you simply can’t have your cake and eat it too.
I disagree!
I have frequently both made and bought cake... and eaten it too!
Unless your mom makes a pineapple upside-down cake which I plan to eat a slice of tonight.
My mom used to make that, but... I was never a fan.
Now Boston Cream Pie... now we're talking!
I can positively say that this stretch of highway along the Eastern edge of the Sierra Nevada Mountains was some of the most scenic we encountered on our entire trek.
High praise indeed considering the distance traveled.
IMG_4982-L.jpg
Beautiful!
you can click the Wiki article below.
I did. Interesting, even though some of it was over my head.
Zach was being a party pooper and sat in the car while I took a very short 30-minute roundtrip saunter to the end of the boardwalk trail and back
I don't get that. He knows he's not likely to repeat this trip any time soon?
Love this shot.
Nice capture with the bird on the tufa.
Thai Thai. I plugged it in, and we ended up here:
(The airport in Bishop)
Yeah, nothing says fine dining like airport food.
:rolleyes:
The food was as bad as the location unlikely. I ordered some lettuce wraps that were abysmally disgusting.
Ew...
Zach’s soup was a bit better, but not inspiring enough to merit any photos. Sorry. Or perhaps, you’re welcome.
:laughing: Thanks!
Really like this shot.
It looks like layers of peaks. Both Earth and sky.
Our Horse Tipi, that was handmade by Native Americans from Oregon (yes, I chuckled at the irony of that too)
That's funny, but... such a cool spot!
had a queen bed, a heater that we were thankful for, outlets to charge our devices, and plenty of light.
Wow! All the comforts.
We were too tired for a shower that evening, but we both enjoyed one the next morning. They were primitive to be sure, but clean with plenty of hot water.
That's all you really want anyways. :)
The nicest shower in the world isn't appealing if it doesn't have enough hot water.

Our next stop was Mono Lake, someplace I’d wanted to visit for decades but never had the opportunity.
Mono Lake is really interesting with all of its alkaline salt and soda deposits. The mountain are gorgeous, too. :)
I love the tipi! was it also free of bugs?
My mom used to make pineapple upside-down cake, too. I was never a fan, either. My family loves Boston Cream Pie and usually make it for their birthdays. :)

Well I took a break from the Dis and just discovered this so will be reading along and trying to catch up when I have the time.

Ooh - love those photos of the Sierra Nevada mountains! So much gorgeousness!

But yeah, that Thai food did not sound appealing at all!

Good luck getting into the groove with your new job. I hope you get the hang of everything well before you need to move on to your next gig!

Heh. I always consider 3 hours as pretty much just about there.
I might not do 14 (or any) potty stops, mind you.

You are much more willing to do that than I am!
I disagree!
I have frequently both made and bought cake... and eaten it too!

I just don't very often. Not being a big sweets eater.

Not sure I've ever had it? Maybe once? I always thought it was pie.
High praise indeed considering the distance traveled.

We have some gorgeous country still yet to come as well, but this was sure pretty!
I did. Interesting, even though some of it was over my head.

A lot of chemistry involved in that explanation.
I don't get that. He knows he's not likely to repeat this trip any time soon?

I think a lot of that is lost on most 24 year olds. I know it probably was on me too.
Love this shot.

Thanks! I like the leading element.
Yeah, nothing says fine dining like airport food.
:rolleyes:

The FBOs aren't known for that, no. You're lucky if there's a vending machine.
Really like this shot.
It looks like layers of peaks. Both Earth and sky.

For a cell phone photo, it turned out ok! :)
That's funny, but... such a cool spot!

We stayed at some seriously great places this trip!
That's all you really want anyways. :)
The nicest shower in the world isn't appealing if it doesn't have enough hot water.
Exactly, but showers were short on this trip as we had to keep moving and get early starts. That or we'd need to get to bed early so no lollygagging around.

Mono Lake is really interesting with all of its alkaline salt and soda deposits. The mountain are gorgeous, too. :)

It really is!! ANd such a nice history on how it was saved with conservation efforts.
I love the tipi! was it also free of bugs?

Yes, it actually was. It was pretty well sealed once zipped like a good quality tent for camping would be.
My mom used to make pineapple upside-down cake, too. I was never a fan, either. My family loves Boston Cream Pie and usually make it for their birthdays. :)
I think I've had that once. :) I always had thought it was a pie, but not so!

Ooh - love those photos of the Sierra Nevada mountains! So much gorgeousness!

But yeah, that Thai food did not sound appealing at all!

Good luck getting into the groove with your new job. I hope you get the hang of everything well before you need to move on to your next gig!
It was sooooo pretty to drive along and have those views to look at. Loved it!

Good Thai is hard to find. But so is BAD Thai food. I mean it really takes effort to mess it up- somehow they managed.

Me too! And thanks! It's been a rough go, but I'm learning a lot and that's never a bad thing!

You are much more willing to do that than I am!
Go without potty stops?

Heh. Don't ask me about my last roadtrip. :rolleyes1
I just don't very often. Not being a big sweets eater.
I do! I am!
sure I've ever had it? Maybe once? I always thought it was pie.
I know we've had this conversation. :)
A lot of chemistry involved in that explanation.
::yes::
I think a lot of that is lost on most 24 year olds. I know it probably was on me too.
I get that. I was that age once too, about 200 years ago.
For a cell phone photo, it turned out ok! :)
::yes::
Exactly, but showers were short on this trip as we had to keep moving and get early starts. That or we'd need to get to bed early so no lollygagging around.
Gotta keep on truckin'!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter