The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Milk glass was a depression era glass like this:

Ah! I have seen similar, but didn't know they had a particular name.
I tried my hardest. I still have a lot of hard work to go, but it'll be much less so had I not done as much as I have until now.
I'm sure you're right. :)
I have once many years ago and it was breathtaking!
Really!
Then this is something I need to see. :)
I was wondering if someone would hit the soft lob.
::yes::

I'm here! I'm only a little bit late! Woooooh! :cool1:

“If God closes a door AND a window, consider the fact that it might be time to build a whole new house.”- Mandy Hale

This is a great quote. :) Hugs!

changed my screenname to Steppesister- if you’re familiar with geography terms, the “steppe” is “a large area of flat unforested grassland in southeastern Europe or Siberia.” This is what Kazakhstan is mostly made up of and I thought it a cute play on words.

I'm fairly certain I knew this, but I love it :)

Sadly, in 2018 I went through a very difficult divorce.

I was so sorry to hear you were going through this.

but have sights on Italy and Greece, the Canadian Maritimes

You KNOW that if you ever come to the Maritimes you'd BETTER look me up, lady! You'd love it. Come in the summer, or in October for the fall foliage. Under no conditions should you come from November to April unless you like the potential for gross weather and/or snow.

My sister has been doing an incredible job with that for years and it’s my turn, and honor, to be there for my parents just as faithfully as they were there for me every single day that I’ve called them Mom and Dad.

I'm sure it can be difficult sometimes, but what an honor and a blessing to be able to care for your parents as they age and begin to need a little more help, to return the favour when they once cared for you. I'm sorry for the difficult things that led to it, but this journey really does feel like a special new chapter.

And now it's YOUR turn: Where would you go on a Grand Adventure if you could leave tomorrow. Would you move there? Visit? For how long?

Oh man, I don't know! I think you probably already know that Nathan and I are more on the cautious side when it comes to all things travel and covid these days, so to be honest I haven't even thought all that much about travelling these last months. When we think about what we'd do if we had no responsibilities here and could pick up and alter the course of our lives and go anywhere, Nathan and I joke about moving to the Caribbean and opening a bar and/or ice cream stand. :laughing: In terms of moving somewhere where I feel like I'm more aligned with the way of life, politics, social policies, etc., I think I'd love to live in either New Zealand of Scandinavia. But if I was leaving tomorrow and I could go anywhere, and I didn't have to live there and could just visit....gee...where would I go?? I'd love to road trip across Canada and stop along the way wherever we felt like. Canada is huge, and I've only seen a small percentage. If money and vacation time were no object, I'd get a little camper/RV and spend a month. I'd also love to go to Jamaica for a week or two. And someday I'd love to take Nathan to Italy. Choices, choices!

However, depending on the selected playlist of my 24-year old son traveling with me, that could change rather quickly. He may be a character quickly written out of the script. Might also depend on the snacks he brings for us.

:rotfl:

Yep, you read that right, I have a boy that likes to experiment with seasonings and different flavor combinations and his favorite cookbook is one I got him last Christmas that is Skyrim-themed (one of his video games).

Lucky you! Reminds me a bit of my husband, both in the enjoyment of cooking experiments, and the interest in video games. Nathan needs that cookbook! :)

Oh, and Greg’s peach cobbler. Which I’m eating right now for the 2nd time this week. My butt loves it too.

Yummm! No judgement. My butt has decided it loves lots of things since I did my masters and was plunged into a pandemic. :confused3

I’m definitely moving with mixed feelings. It’s a great place to work with a really great team of nurses who truly care about our patients. I will miss those friends dearly.

These are the things that make it hard, I'm sure! Such a blessings when you work with great people, but makes it harder to leave.

"Jewel of Oregon"- Crater Lake. Oddly, for as many years as I’ve lived here, I’ve never gotten to see it. Fixing that just in time! Hope to snag a few decent photos here for sure!

This is beautiful! Your road trip sounds pretty interesting and jam-packed so far. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Friends...

I'm SUPER behind on all of the threads I'm following. Apologies friends.

Me tooooooo! No worries. They'll be here for you whenever you have the time. No rush.

Last edited:
Good for you for having the nerve to move across country. I live in Ohio and have been to Bowling Green to visit the corvette museum while we spent some time at Ft. Knox. Looking forward to reading about your trip. Good luck!!!

You may look at rearranging your Susanville arrival, unless it's just passing through. The Dixie Fire is looming on the nearby mountains and it's super smoky up here. At least Hwy 395 is open now!

Hi Friends! Busy, busy, busy with getting my job wrapped up, all kinds of packing, last minute errands, etc... But now with the majority done, aside from wrapping the furniture with moving blankets and cleaning the apartment, I think I can maybe get back to your regularly (or not so much) scheduled updating.

Replies soon, Lovelies!!!

We drove from San Francisco up to Oregon stopping for the night at Red Bluff and Weed before driving through Lassen Volcanic National Park on our way to Medford. We drove up to the West Entrance to Crater Lake National Park the next day from Medford and encircled the lake before heading back to Medford. The following day we drove to the West Coast through Redwood State Park on our way to Crescent City for the night. Then we stopped for a couple of nights just outside Eureka before driving through Redwood National Park on our way to Ukiah before driving the following day to Sausalito for the day and night. Then finally for a couple of nights we stayed on the coast in Pacifica, before returning to San Francisco.

What I remember most about Crater Lake is our first view of it as you top the hill leading to the West Entrance of the Park. It compares to our first view of the Grand Canyon.

I love the mission and that area. Have you been to Tupac, I think that is the name, cute little artsy town on the way towards Nogales. I remember when Nogales was safe, we went there every year!
YES! Marcia and I went to Tupac in April and it was lovely. :) We did some nice shopping. Once I get there in January, I'll probably look for a couple of yard art pieces.

I remember going to the beaches south of Tuscon/Yuma for Spring Break in college and it was totally safe. LOVED eating the fresh tortillas for breakfast from the beach vendors.

We have some milk glass pieces from my husband's grandmother. :)
Isn't it lovely? I use it for setting practically any holiday table because it mixes and matches to nicely. Sadly, I broke one a while ago and now have a set of 7. Am keeping my eye open at antique shops for a glass to match my set.

I'm here! I'm only a little bit late! Woooooh! :cool1:

Not even a little bit. I will be doing little photo updates each day (as long as I have internet or a cell signal) to document as I go.

This is a great quote. :) Hugs!

It really struck me!

I'm fairly certain I knew this, but I love it :)

It's a pain to spell out for people on the phone! LOL!

You KNOW that if you ever come to the Maritimes you'd BETTER look me up, lady! You'd love it. Come in the summer, or in October for the fall foliage. Under no conditions should you come from November to April unless you like the potential for gross weather and/or snow.

It is SO high on my list. Now that I am further East and Canada is open to the US I hope it can happen sooner than later. :D I think a road trip up through our NE would be gorgeous in Fall and would most likely do it then.

I'm sure it can be difficult sometimes, but what an honor and a blessing to be able to care for your parents as they age and begin to need a little more help, to return the favour when they once cared for you. I'm sorry for the difficult things that led to it, but this journey really does feel like a special new chapter.

I think so too. I am happy to spend more time with them before aging bodies make a little fun impossible. They are still go-getters so I anticipate some good times ahead!

Oh man, I don't know! I think you probably already know that Nathan and I are more on the cautious side when it comes to all things travel and covid these days, so to be honest I haven't even thought all that much about travelling these last months. When we think about what we'd do if we had no responsibilities here and could pick up and alter the course of our lives and go anywhere, Nathan and I joke about moving to the Caribbean and opening a bar and/or ice cream stand. :laughing: In terms of moving somewhere where I feel like I'm more aligned with the way of life, politics, social policies, etc., I think I'd love to live in either New Zealand of Scandinavia. But if I was leaving tomorrow and I could go anywhere, and I didn't have to live there and could just visit....gee...where would I go?? I'd love to road trip across Canada and stop along the way wherever we felt like. Canada is huge, and I've only seen a small percentage. If money and vacation time were no object, I'd get a little camper/RV and spend a month. I'd also love to go to Jamaica for a week or two. And someday I'd love to take Nathan to Italy. Choices, choices!

Wow, that is quite a wide variety! And such different destinations, from tropical to boreal! I love your idea of opening a little business someplace tropical- how fun!!

Lucky you! Reminds me a bit of my husband, both in the enjoyment of cooking experiments, and the interest in video games. Nathan needs that cookbook! :)

I think any gamer who enjoys to cook would. There are some really interesting recipes in it that have an "olde world" feel and that use tons of funky ingredients like juniper berries and other spices I had to order.

Yummm! No judgement. My butt has decided it loves lots of things since I did my masters and was plunged into a pandemic. :confused3

I really need to rein it in or I may get to a point of no "fixing" things. But I sure can understand the stress eating business.

These are the things that make it hard, I'm sure! Such a blessings when you work with great people, but makes it harder to leave.

I will say my last good byes on Thursday or Friday.
This is beautiful! Your road trip sounds pretty interesting and jam-packed so far. Looking forward to hearing about it!

I think we've got a pretty bang up route planned. :D
Me tooooooo! No worries. They'll be here for you whenever you have the time. No rush.
And it's even worse now. Big life changes often mean a season of getting super out of touch. I guess until my truck/moving pod is loaded it'll be hard to rest.

Good for you for having the nerve to move across country. I live in Ohio and have been to Bowling Green to visit the corvette museum while we spent some time at Ft. Knox. Looking forward to reading about your trip. Good luck!!!
:welcome: New Friend! :) It just really feels like the right time given the collective set of circumstances.

The museum is wonderful and the factory tour was even better! Sadly, they stopped doing that. Glad I did it when I had the chance!

There is so much more to come and I hope to write an update with some very sad developments later tonight.

You may look at rearranging your Susanville arrival, unless it's just passing through. The Dixie Fire is looming on the nearby mountains and it's super smoky up here. At least Hwy 395 is open now!

:welcome: Aboard!! I'm so glad you're here!!

I saw that. :( Was really sad about the whole situation and it may very well necessitate a re-routing. UGH. But there are other circumstances that developed that also may mix things up a bit.

We drove from San Francisco up to Oregon stopping for the night at Red Bluff and Weed before driving through Lassen Volcanic National Park on our way to Medford. We drove up to the West Entrance to Crater Lake National Park the next day from Medford and encircled the lake before heading back to Medford. The following day we drove to the West Coast through Redwood State Park on our way to Crescent City for the night. Then we stopped for a couple of nights just outside Eureka before driving through Redwood National Park on our way to Ukiah before driving the following day to Sausalito for the day and night. Then finally for a couple of nights we stayed on the coast in Pacifica, before returning to San Francisco.

What I remember most about Crater Lake is our first view of it as you top the hill leading to the West Entrance of the Park. It compares to our first view of the Grand Canyon.
That sounds like such a fantastic road trip you took!! I've never visited the Lassen area but have done the Redwoods many years ago. Ukiah and Saucalito are just lovely! That whole area is one of the prettiest in the world I think. I hope the weather is decent when I see that first view of Crater Lake so I can take it all in and get some nice photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter