The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Q is for: Quite the Drive!

With over 2,400 miles yet to go on the journey to our home-to-be, we needed to keep making progress on our trek. Our goal was to get to Ashfork, AZ, but not by any old run-of-the-mill route. It’s a fine line cramming as much as possible in and being utterly ridiculous in the pursuit of “a lot”. Somehow we managed to do both. This obscure detour we ended up on was altogether accidental, however. Mostly anyways. It also ended up being one of the more entertaining. Aside from the brief moment the entertainment almost kicked our teeth out.

I last left off with us crossing over the not-so-mighty-anymore Colorado River into Arizona from California and we began the northerly road towards Ashfork.

I chose it not for what we’d encounter, as I did barely any research on this particular road, but rather for the fact it was NOT on I-40. I had honestly wanted to avoid interstates as much as possible and take roads I’d either not been on before or wanted to see again, The “Oatman Highway” being the former. Leaving the relatively flat landscape of the River Valley, we began to climb steadily. The more we climbed, the more we twisted and turned.

As always on the this roadtrip we were looking for wildlife and it wasn’t too long before we actually found some. Sort of, anyway. I spied a pile on the road and where there’s piles, there’s bound to be horses.

“Son, I see poo. Keep a lookout for wild horses! Who knew?!"

Oh yay!! Wild horses!!

Okay, donkeys. Donkey’s will do. Close enough.

Sure enough, off on the rocky, cholla-speckled hills were donkeys grazing on… nothing. I mean, what is even out here that donkeys would find tantalizing?

Tourist handouts, of course!

We spied more donkeys, some walking right on the road, and when I got to a random desert intersection, my tourist inner-self kicked in and, just like millions who’ve gone before me, I pulled over and hissed at Zach, “GRAB OUR CARROTS!”

“MOM!”

“I don’t care if we starve in the desert for lack of rations! THIS IS WILD DONKEYS! They’re hungry!! Starving, I tell you!”

I rolled down my window and the most intelligent of the bunch sauntered its way over and eagerly gobbled up the 2 or 3 carrots I held out. Since he nearly ate my hand off as well, I guessed he was also the greediest of the bunch.

No sooner had I held out handful #2 than an ancient codger, older than the ore in those hills themselves, pulled up his dilapidated van and scolded me for feeding the donkey carrots. Mumbling something about sugar and digestive issues, etc… I thought to myself… <dude, these things will eat a shoe. Please.> But before I could protest, he pulled out a bag of donkey goodies (who knew they made such a thing!) that were much healthier (than the garbage they eat from the dumpsters in town?) “Here try this, Fred really loves these!” <Gobble, gobble>

“Oh look! Here comes his fat cousin Charlie* (*names changed to protect donkey anonymity). Careful of that one, he’s the jealous sort.”

Zach and I took turns risking amputation by donkey teeth and were having the best of donkey-bonding time. I can confirm that petting wild donkeys on a bright desert highway makes for a really great vacation activity.

That is until Fat Charlie shows up.

Did you know that donkeys can move at Warp 9?

I didn’t either.

I don’t remember the Donkey Man’s name, but when Fat Charlie kicked his shoe off fighting Fred over the donkey biscuits <--insert un-family-friendly play on words joke here>, I figured that was our invitation to leave. I happened to like my teeth and oral surgeons cost a lot of money. Sigh…. somehow I found it therapeutic to pet the flea-ridden beasts of burden. But time to move on….

We finally came to the old Wild West town of Oatman, Arizona famous for its not-so-wild-anymore donkeys. It was rife with tourists and definitely NOT our cup of tea, so we kept on going, pausing once to take a peek at one of the mining sites/shafts of the Para Co. who actively mines gold in and around Oatman. If you are reading this late at night and suffering from severe insomnia this
LINK ought to help you out by providing you with some excessively dry reading on the mining pursuits of Para.

As I mentioned earlier, I had done little to no research on this route, so it was a wonderful surprise to come upon a succession of several more Historic Route 66 towns with varying degrees of kitchy-ness. We stopped at each of them, of course. It must be done. At the hamlet of Cool Springs, we whetted our whistles with a bottle of Route 66 soda. Well, Zach did. I chose unwisely with coffee soda pop and literally gagged on it. I did give it a good old college try and took one more swig then tossed in the garbage. Such a bummer.

Unbeknownst to us, we'd just finished one of America's more notable highways- the Sidewinder Highway, aptly named for its twisty nature and the presence of a particular species of Viperidae. But I wouldn't know about that as I was wholly unsuccessful in locating a single one on this entire 4,000 mile journey even with active searching.

The highway takes you through Sitgreaves Pass- a very picturesque drive if you ever happen to be out that way. The websites I looked at mention it as a favorite for motorcycles, should you be into that.

Crossing I-40 again and hopping onto Rte. 66 again north of the freeway we came upon Hackberry, another historic town kept from cardiac arrest with tourist dollars. This one was a bit more developed with merchandise, a hefty array of snacks, both hot and cold, and photo opps. We spent a fair bit of time amusing ourselves with antique cars, gas pumps, and other relics. Yes, my son rolled his eyes when I asked him to take my picture. Sorry, kiddo, you agreed to travel with me.

One other reason I had chosen to take this lesser-traveled road was for the fact it went through Peach Springs. (Okay, I did do a tiny, very tiny, bit of research.) I had heard that there were some good views of the mouth of the Grand Canyon from there.

There very well could be, but I wouldn’t know for sure. The hike approaches ended up being WAY off target for reasonable-side-trip-for-us. Aside from distance, the one road that goes to the canyon’s edge from Rte. 66 goes through the Hualapai Nation and, while it may be open for the casual traveler, more often than not traversing Tribal lands requires permits or Tribal guides and I just wasn’t able to pre-plan or figure that out. Ah well, it’d already been a long day of travel and we were ready to settle down in a luxurious hotel room, have a hot bath, and good meal, and a bedbug-free night.

Too bad we’d score 0/4 on that.

But, you’ll have to tune in next time for The Adventures of Sleeping in Ashfork on Steppe Knows How to Pick ‘Em!

(not the actual poor choice of Steppe)

Last edited:
Hey's Y'all!!

Time has escaped from me and I am deeply grateful for all of your sweet comments and encouragements during this difficult time. We finally got our internet back last night and I just can't comment on each one of your posts the last while, as much as I'd love to!! I was on call today and did get called out twice so didn't get as much DISsing done as I'd have liked. I am determined to see this and my other thread through even though it is seeming like it's taking far too long. I guess we do what we can with the time we are given.

It's almost impossible to believe that I am nearing the end of my 10-week contract here in Bowling Green and I have learned SO much that will really help and enrich my practice and career. I am very grateful. I definitely have some new skills that 8 short weeks ago were terrifying. Now, I need to shift my focus to moving again, this time to Tucson, my home away from home. I do have a potential contract lead at Banner Health and am waiting to hear about that. Fingers crossed! I will be placed where I am meant to be.

In other news, my knee is healing well and is right on track for where I am post-op. It's sore, but I am able to work. That's a blessing!

One week til Christmas! Can you believe it?!

Most of Bowling Green is still without internet service. The main fiber optic cable was blown away/broken and many more power poles have to be replaced before it’ll be back online. Meantime, our cell service is VEEEEERY slow and likely being gated. So as much as I’d like to catch up tomorrow and this weekend, I can’t. I miss reading your TRs and feel very behind.

Given the level of damage, it's amazing you could eve get this posted. It's just stunning seeing the level of devastation.

So far my knee feels pretty good. No pain to complain much about but I’m staying ahead of it with all the things I know to do. Thankful for that!!

I'm glad to hear that at least!

Keep praying for our town. The outpouring of love and help makes me so proud to live here.

This too. Wonderful when a community comes together in a time of great need.

With that, we turned around and headed back in to wait a little longer not knowing if it was “just” isolated wind damage or something far worse. With the entire city in blackout conditions and the sky ablaze with almost continuous lightning we played it safe. With the rain coming in sideways sheets and noticing the roof of the hospital leaking, we knew it would be a long night ahead.

Smart. Even without a tornado, these storms can still do great damage.

We found out later our doppler towers were folded in half at the airport, so no new radars or weather updates were available.

:eek:

I have found very little more disorienting in my lifetime than the short drive home. With the sky still ablaze with frequent lightning, my folks, who’ve lived here for over 10 years, made at least 2 wrong turns in the inky blackness eventually arriving at the equally unlit dark, but still standing, house.

It's amazing how quickly we become dependent on electric power. When nothing is lit up, it really looks foreign.

It didn’t take long to map its sinister path and to realize our own neighborhood was missed by a mere half a mile on either side of us.

Yikes!

Same thing happened to us the previous summer. We got a tornado warning on our phones with the alarm and everything. Julie called and asked if she should be in the basement, and I was like, "Um...yeah. "

It passed about a mile from our house.

From the news, and because much has been made public now, you may know that 2 entire families, parents along with their young children, perished.

So horrible.

Nor can one know the level of collective altruism, cooperation, and charity until deep tragedy and grief happens. I have never been prouder of the place I live for how genuine love and concern have been shown. Practical help from so many agencies, churches, individuals, businesses have come in ways that will make a difference in broken lives.

:love::love::love:

IMG_9381-L.jpg
Heh. Great minds...

P1040486.jpg
With over 2,400 miles yet to go on the journey to our home-to-be
Soooo... just over a day's drive?

:rolleyes1
It’s a fine line cramming as much as possible in and being utterly ridiculous in the pursuit of “a lot”.
See previous comment.
I am frequently beset with needing to be at certain points at certain times that are beyond my control.
That forces me into marathon drives. I'm quite envious of your trip!
Aside from the brief moment the entertainment almost kicked our teeth out.
:scared:
I chose it not for what we’d encounter, as I did barely any research on this particular road, but rather for the fact it was NOT on I-40.
Again... envious. I bought a book (several years ago) that is a treasure-trove of off highway drive information. I've yet to really even look at it.
I spied a pile on the road and where there’s piles, there’s bound to be horses.
You saw a pile of horses??? Do they sleep like that in the desert?
“Son, I see poo. Keep a lookout for wild horses! Who knew?!"
Oh yay!! Wild horses!!
:laughing:
Sure enough, off on the rocky, cholla-speckled hills were donkeys grazing on… nothing. I mean, what is even out here that donkeys would find tantalizing?
Rutabagas!!

No?
Oh! Of course!
I pulled over and hissed at Zach, “GRAB OUR CARROTS!”
“MOM!”
“I don’t care if we starve in the desert for lack of rations! THIS IS WILD DONKEYS! They’re hungry!! Starving, I tell you!”
:lmao:
I think this is my favourite burro pick. :)
Mumbling something about sugar and digestive issues, etc… I thought to myself… <dude, these things will eat a shoe. Please.>
Wait.... where did he come from??? You pull over in the middle of nowhere and an a$$ expert just materializes????
But before I could protest, he pulled out a bag of donkey goodies (who knew they made such a thing!) that were much healthier (than the garbage they eat from the dumpsters in town?)
Well... sure. I mean, your dog or cat can eat lousy food too... doesn't mean they should.
“Here try this, Fred really loves these!” <Gobble, gobble>
Wait... he named them???
“Oh look! Here comes his fat cousin Charlie* (*names changed to protect donkey anonymity).
:rotfl:
I can confirm that petting wild donkeys on a bright desert highway makes for a really great vacation activity.
with a hot wind in your hair and the warm smell of feces, rising up from the tar.
Dude wants food. NOW.
I figured that was our invitation to leave. I happened to like my teeth and oral surgeons cost a lot of money.
We finally came to the old Wild West town of Oatman, Arizona famous for its not-so-wild-anymore donkeys. It was rife with tourists and definitely NOT our cup of tea
Wait... did you drive this way mostly to see Oatman?
Or mostly to just not be on the interstate?
If you are reading this late at night and suffering from severe insomnia this LINK ought to help you out by providing you with some excessively dry reading on the mining pursuits of Para.
You make it sound so inviting!!!
it was a wonderful surprise to come upon a succession of several more Historic Route 66 towns with varying degrees of kitchy-ness. We stopped at each of them, of course. It must be done.
::yes::
we whetted our whistles with a bottle of Route 66 soda.
That sounds good. I'd be all over that. I'm always on the lookout for sodas that I've not had before.
I chose unwisely with coffee soda pop and literally gagged on it.
Well sure. Coffee. Who wouldn't gag? :confused3
Love the stone-work. Pumps are cool too. That middle one is one style I'm not sure I've seen before.
Nice shot of you guys. :)
Obviously before you tried your drink.
And... Zach chose wisely. Caramel cream rootbeer???? :worship:
Cool! I'm not sure I've ever seen a Desoto in real life.
Nice shot!
the Sidewinder Highway, aptly named for its twisty nature and the presence of a particular species of Viperidae.
Sounds perfect for motorcycle riding. I wondered if it would be then saw your later comment.
But I wouldn't know about that as I was wholly unsuccessful in locating a single one on this entire 4,000 mile journey even with active searching.
Too bad. Know how much you've wanted to find one.
The websites I looked at mention it as a favorite for motorcycles, should you be into that.
And there ya go.
Yes, my son rolled his eyes when I asked him to take my picture. Sorry, kiddo, you agreed to travel with me.
Cute shot of you. :)
(Okay, I did do a tiny, very tiny, bit of research.)
LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had heard that there were some good views of the mouth of the Grand Canyon from there.
Cool! Something that I've yet to lay eyes upon.
The hike approaches ended up being WAY off target for reasonable-side-trip-for-us. Aside from distance, the one road that goes to the canyon’s edge from Rte. 66 goes through the Hualapai Nation and, while it may be open for the casual traveler, more often than not traversing Tribal lands requires permits or Tribal guides and I just wasn’t able to pre-plan or figure that out.
Well, poop.
we were ready to settle down in a luxurious hotel room, have a hot bath, and good meal, and a bedbug-free night.

I am determined to see this and my other thread through even though it is seeming like it's taking far too long. I guess we do what we can with the time we are given.
That's okay. You've had quite the eventful few weeks! :faint:
It's almost impossible to believe that I am nearing the end of my 10-week contract here in Bowling Green and I have learned SO much that will really help and enrich my practice and career.
Already?? How did that happen? You just got there!
Now, I need to shift my focus to moving again, this time to Tucson, my home away from home.
You're moving to Tucson? So your visit to Bowling Green was just temporary?
In other news, my knee is healing well and is right on track for where I am post-op.
Good to hear!
One week til Christmas! Can you believe it?!
:faint:

No. I'm far too busy to be ready for it... so have given up trying.

It doesn't seem like any animal could find anything to eat on that land.
But before I could protest, he pulled out a bag of donkey goodies (who knew they made such a thing!)
He sounds like a fun character to run into out in the middle of nowhere.
This one was a bit more developed with merchandise, a hefty array of snacks, both hot and cold, and photo opps. We spent a fair bit of time amusing ourselves with antique cars, gas pumps, and other relics.
It looks like a very cute place. :)
It's almost impossible to believe that I am nearing the end of my 10-week contract here in Bowling Green and I have learned SO much that will really help and enrich my practice and career.
I think because you haven't gotten to Kentucky yet in your trip report it seems like you can't be ready to move on yet. :)
I need to shift my focus to moving again, this time to Tucson, my home away from home.
It sounds like a great place for the winter - nice and warm and no tornadoes. :)

N is for: No, It’s Too Hot

Day 4- Olancha, CA to Barstow, CA; Pt 1

Up before the sun, because truck drivers are too, (remember, our cute little tipi camp was less than a couple hundred yards off of I-395), we showered and thought briefly about hanging around for the restaurant’s breakfast. But in the end, we wanted to be on the road as soon as possible to beat the heat of Death Valley.

Lest we die.

The drive time from Olancha to DV was slated to be a mere 50 minutes. Oddly, that 50 minutes also equals the amount of degrees Fahrenheit it can heat up in as many minutes, so we boogeyed. The playlist was boogeyable; I’m so glad we could agree on what constituted that.

Prior to this trip I spent countless hours researching what there was to see and do along the way. Death Valley offers dozens of hikes, side trips, sights, etc… Given our limited time I had to pick and choose wisely. It wouldn’t matter.

The drive itself was filled with surreal scenes that looked like Star Wars movie sets. Truly, some of the places looked like the Black Spires of Batuu. What struck me most were the incredible colors! Yes, there were loads of earth tones and naturals, but some areas had the most amazing palettes.

Traveling over the Panamint Range was quite the adventure in and of itself. The elevation changes made for some spectacular scenery with deep gorges and bizarre formations.

Once we got into the Valley proper, the first stop we made was at the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes to take a peek. Sand Dunes suck to hike on, so we just got out, took a few snaps and moved on. It wasn’t getting any cooler. It was 10:00 by now and approaching 100 degrees. If you’re wondering, yes, we had made an emergency kit with flares, first aid kits, tons of extra water, jumper cables, etc… And TP.

Every emergency kit needs TP.

Back on the road and stopping occasionally for photos or an outlook, we made our way to the Mustard Canyon Drive. For some dumb reason I thought that was a short hike. Sometimes my misunderstandings have happy outcomes. In this case, it was a one-way driving loop- by now it was simply too hot to be out of the car. I think from the photos you’ll see just why it is called Mustard Canyon. The canyon is completely devoid of plant life like much of Death Valley and a super cool yellows.

Onward and downward…

Our next stop was Artists Palette. It is absolutely gorgeous! But with temps like this, there was literally no way to get out and immerse ourselves. We had to take in what we could from the car because in 122 degrees I was quickly getting a bit light-headed even with extra hydration and cooling off in the car before trying. So, from the wienies’ vantage, enjoy:

The day was marching on so after one last stop at Zabriskie Point, we called it a day. This overlook offered a beautiful panoramic view from the short 10-minute hike up to the edge. Trust me, we took the warning signs VERY seriously. I forgot to take one (I was in a heat-induced rush to get back to the car!) of the sign we saw on the pit toilet door- it reminded travelers that rescue helicopters cannot fly in such hot weather. I think people don’t realize this. It said that “your rescue may be delayed”.

I wasn’t going to take my chances beyond this one short little hike. It was worth the pano photo.

On our way out of the National Park, I saw something rare and amazing- a stream in the desert!! There was no way I wasn't going to stop for this. Believe it or not, there are even a few fish that can live in these!

And with that we did a bit more boogeying and made our way to Barstow for the night… where we’ll pick up our exploits on Route 66!
Just catching up again. The desert is really amazing. The land can take on different colors depending on the time of day. Getting out of the car in 122 degree heat - you know they say discretion is the better part of valor, so I guess it was actually brave of you to stay in the car!

Of course you made Donkey friends, what else would you do out there? Funny their "nutrition champion" just happened to be there, What does he do, drive up and down the road watching for treat givers?

I loved all of your pictures of the vintage Route 66 memorabilia. So cool. Makes me want to copy your trip for sure, Jim keeps reminding me we did this back in 1984 when Ryan was a baby. But we did it on the interstate - I want to see what you did!

I know I said on FB but I'm glad you are okay, and I'm continuing to pray for your community.

Having just finally seen this TR, and starting to read about your planned move to Western Kentucky as you posted earlier this summer... my first thought after reading about you purchasing part ownership of your parents' house was that I hope there's still something there worth owning. Despite all I've read thus far, I'm just glad to see that you're safe and the house is still standing.

Now... what an epic road trip!!! Lots of interesting sights thus far and I look forward to seeing the rest!

It’s a fine line cramming as much as possible in and being utterly ridiculous in the pursuit of “a lot”.

I know this only too well!

I chose it not for what we’d encounter, as I did barely any research on this particular road, but rather for the fact it was NOT on I-40. I had honestly wanted to avoid interstates as much as possible and take roads I’d either not been on before or wanted to see again, The “Oatman Highway” being the former.

I find that I need balance here as well. Sometimes the road less traveled is much better and worth the detour. Sometimes, it's just slow. And when you need to cover a lot of ground, the interstates come in very handy.

Jacka--.

Not you, the donkey.

I mean, what is even out here that donkeys would find tantalizing?

:scared: This is where I have to swallow my training from years of National Park speeches to never feed the animals.

No sooner had I held out handful #2 than an ancient codger, older than the ore in those hills themselves, pulled up his dilapidated van and scolded me for feeding the donkey carrots.

Wow, they're even mansplaining out here.

I did not, in fact, know that.

donkey biscuits <--insert un-family-friendly play on words joke here>

:rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

At the hamlet of Cool Springs, we whetted our whistles with a bottle of Route 66 soda. Well, Zach did. I chose unwisely with coffee soda pop and literally gagged on it.

Ew.

Yes, my son rolled his eyes when I asked him to take my picture. Sorry, kiddo, you agreed to travel with me.

If you're not making your kids roll their eyes, you're doing it wrong.

(Okay, I did do a tiny, very tiny, bit of research.)

Aha! Busted!

Ah well, it’d already been a long day of travel and we were ready to settle down in a luxurious hotel room, have a hot bath, and good meal, and a bedbug-free night.

In other news, my knee is healing well and is right on track for where I am post-op. It's sore, but I am able to work. That's a blessing!

Excellent! Glad to hear some good news.

R is for: Rough Night

Between Peach Springs and Ashfork, we had one last stop to make before we’d get back on the interstate for the last stretch of the day's drive- The Cavern Inn at the Grand Canyon Caverns. Probably best known for the caverns themselves, they’ve done a whiz bang job at making the entire stop as cheesy and tacky as possible. It was exactly as I'd remembered it as a kid when we'd driven by it on a family vacation- giant dinosaur and all. One addition I was highly amused with was the entire collection of Cars characters but was disappointed that they weren’t staged a bit more creatively. Perhaps I was spoiled having recently stayed at the Cars Section at AoA.

I don't know which came first, perhaps this was the real life inspiration for Disney? I don't know...

We parked very near Mater and went into the Tour Office to ask about getting a guided excursion into the caverns. In the end, we decided to pass saving our caving for the bigger, better, real deal here at Mammoth Caves in our new Kentucky Home. But just like many of you, we’ll probably die having never done that one either as most folks tend to put off visiting places that are closest to us. Instead, we amused ourselves taking pictures of the automotive menagerie and Boop-boop-boop-ee-dooing to Lil Missie here. We passed on the repast, eager at this point to just get to where we were going.

At one point I thought Fillmore had misplaced one of his acid hits in my Bubbly as I started to see creepy crawlies on the road between the caverns and Ashfork. At first it was just a few skittering "somethings" out of the corner of my eye, but gradually the entire roadway was moving. Was I getting road hypnosis? Sleep deprived? Car fumes leaking in? Inquiring minds had to know! It turned out to be these:

While not the most interesting of critters, these grasshoppers did sport some beautiful colors and patterns. I was glad to have stopped.

From there, we made good time and pulled into the only (operational) motel in town. I’m sure that there were a few along the interstate on the outskirts, but honestly, I felt safer in the city limits rather than in a trafficking hotspot.

Safer maybe. More comfortable? Definitely not.

Here is your random, completely useless, not really even very interesting factoid of the day: Ashfork, AZ is the Flagstone Capitol of the World. So, if you’re a contractor or happen to be in the market for some new flooring, you can go and buy factory direct and have the most… interesting accommodations available.

At one point, I'm sure Ashfork did a booming business evidenced by a rotting collection of has-been motels. Ah, Route 66- to have been able to enjoy your glory days...

The hotel we didn't stay at:

A quick Google search pointed us to the Copper State Motel (there are 3 motels in town, 2 of which were closed) and pulling in I started to wonder if staying at one of the motels on the interstate (with far less character, but with the risk of getting kidnapped) wasn’t a better idea. The first face that greeted us sported 3 partial teeth informing us that he was building a scooter with a lawn mower engine he’d “found”. He went into great detail about how he’d blown the first one out going too fast in town. Town, it turned out, was about 2 square blocks. The motel, as it turned out, was a permanent resident sort of place and there was exactly one room available to rent for the night. The rest were occupied by an eclectic group of folks who called the Copper State home and while I like to give benefit of the doubt and be a person who tries not to judge a book by its cover… I was struggling. Perhaps it was the cat that took liberties of wandering in and out of our room at will, maybe the peeling paint, the broken furniture strewn about the property and in our room, or it might have been the bars on the windows, but something made me take care to completely empty the car of every item not bolted down. As I brought in the last load, I thought I saw a tear run down the cheek of my catalytic converter.

The Copper State Motel, if nothing else, brings run down to entirely new levels. Beggars, however, are not in the position to be choosers. As long as we had a flat surface to have an equally dismal dinner, right? I hoped that the items we set out for our picnic were fresher than the sheets, but they too were dubious.

We ate our meager fare and, looking about the room after picking up our mess, I decided I needed a drink. Our stuff safely behind barred windows and a non-functionally locking door, I grabbed my camera and left everything else behind (under the watchful eye of Lawn Mower Scooter Dude) and set out for Lulu’s BBQ next door. My main objective was to ask around about the hike we’d scheduled for the next morning. And to dull my senses just enough that should I hear my car being jacked up in the night I wouldn’t care.

I could tell immediately that this was one of those places that I was going to regret not preferring my liquor straight up and neat. The few sitting at the bar turned our way and I could feel the “They’re not from here.” burning through me like a shot of cheap whiskey. We fed their silent good-old-boy judging by ordering fru-fru.

When the waitress made a big deal of asking me how to make the Old Fashioned I'd ordered, I knew I probably should have just asked for a rum and coke. She confessed that she’d Googled it when she brought it to the table and asked how it was. “If you don’t like it, I can make you a new one.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her it sucked.

Meanwhile, it was time to gather some intel. Who better than from a local? This guy’ll do! Except he didn’t. The best he could come up with was a vague, “I think I’ve heard of that.”

I asked a couple more folks who looked like that they might have some helpful information. No dice. I should have abandoned the plan altogether at that point, but I am a stubborn kind of girl and am less prone to give up on a plan than I am to order a beer.

I was pleased that all of our stuff was still intact when we returned and less pleased when I turned down my bed. Does this not scream Grandma’s in 1970? No? How about a cheap Goodwill find perfect for outfitting your 1975 Starcraft popup? I showered in the mold-encrusted shower grateful for hot water and soap. By morning I was certain that the soap was indeed bedbug bait. The itching was relentless for several days.

There was high adventure waiting for us, so the next morning we loaded up and set out…. Up next… Making Lemonade

Last edited:
Replies will have to be another time.... I ended having some call outs for work this weekend and packed mostly. 3 days of work left and we head out Thursday morning...

The Cavern Inn at the Grand Canyon Caverns.
Sounds cavernous.
Probably best known for the caverns themselves
What??? No!

:rolleyes1
they’ve done a whiz bang job at making the entire stop as cheesy and tacky as possible.
This is... a good thing? Maybe?

Or... is it more just inertia and things haven't moved since the 70s?
It was exactly as I'd remembered it as a kid when we'd driven by it on a family vacation- giant dinosaur and all.
That must've given you quite the jolt of deja vu!
Gorgeous grill. And a Jaguar?!?!?
I don't know which came first, perhaps this was the real life inspiration for Disney? I don't know...
At first I thought they had stolen prop ideas from Disney... but...
Yeah... which came first? The chicken or the egg?
In the end, we decided to pass saving our caving for the bigger, better, real deal here at Mammoth Caves in our new Kentucky Home.
That's something I've dreamed of doing (seeing some caves) since I was a kid and first read Tom Sawyer.
Maybe someday, but... sheesh, I've certainly waited long enough!
But just like many of you, we’ll probably die having never done that one either as most folks tend to put off visiting places that are closest to us.
:sad2:
I soooooo get that. There's only one place in Canada that mints coins. And it's about 5 minutes away. Been there since '76 and I've yet to set foot in it.
we amused ourselves taking pictures of the automotive menagerie and Boop-boop-boop-ee-dooing to Lil Missie here.
Didn't I read something about an infestation of those last year?
I felt safer in the city limits rather than in a trafficking hotspot.
I'm sorry.... WHAT????
Homegrown, no doubt. :)
At one point, I'm sure Ashfork did a booming business evidenced by a rotting collection of has-been motels. Ah, Route 66- to have been able to enjoy your glory days...
I so wish I could go back in time and experience it in its hey-day.
The hotel we didn't stay at:

Yikes.
I started to wonder if staying at one of the motels on the interstate (with far less character, but with the risk of getting kidnapped)
Okay... are you kidding??? How bad is this????
The first face that greeted us sported 3 partial teeth informing us that he was building a scooter with a lawn mower engine he’d “found”. He went into great detail about how he’d blown the first one out going too fast in town.
:laughing: I like him already.
Perhaps it was the cat that took liberties of wandering in and out of our room at will,
What? For real?
the broken furniture strewn about the property and in our room
ew...
or it might have been the bars on the windows,
Safety first!
As I brought in the last load, I thought I saw a tear run down the cheek of my catalytic converter.
:lmao:
The Copper State Motel, if nothing else, brings run down to entirely new levels.
Lovely.... thanks for the recommendation...
That shower... <shudder>
1. Interesting layout. Beds a la "haphazard" style?
2. Is that a burn mark on the back of the chair?????
What the heck is on that desk? An ancient microwave? Toaster oven? TV?
That looks pretty good, actually. Despite the eggs being over-done.
Our stuff safely behind barred windows and a non-functionally locking door,
Oh, I'm sure you felt completely safe... :sad2:
My main objective was to ask around about the hike we’d scheduled for the next morning. And to dull my senses just enough that should I hear my car being jacked up in the night I wouldn’t care.
Oh dear...

Or... holy crap...

Pick your comment.
We fed their silent good-old-boy judging by ordering fru-fru.
:laughing: That'll show 'em!
She confessed that she’d Googled it when she brought it to the table and asked how it was. “If you don’t like it, I can make you a new one.”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her it sucked.
Well... points for trying?
Meanwhile, it was time to gather some intel. Who better than from a local? This guy’ll do! Except he didn’t. The best he could come up with was a vague, “I think I’ve heard of that.”
aka "Don't bother me. You're not from around here and I don't talk to strangers."
Does this not scream Grandma’s in 1970?
Too much.
I showered in the mold-encrusted shower
Ew! :scared:
By morning I was certain that the soap was indeed bedbug bait. The itching was relentless for several days.
Gross!

Well this update was a bit tough to read!
Replies will have to be another time.... I ended having some call outs for work this weekend and packed mostly. 3 days of work left and we head out Thursday morning...
Coming up fast!

The grasshopper is very interesting. We have mostly boring green ones here. :)

Now I know what the room inside of one of those scary looking motels look like. It is worse than I thought it would be. ;)

Last edited:
The donkeys, oh my so cool, I loved reading about all your adventures through AZ!
How exciting for you to be heading to Tucson soon,I am beyond jealous!
My parents lived north of Tucson for 20 years, we loved visiting several times a year.
Keep us updated!!

Zach and I took turns risking amputation by donkey teeth and were having the best of donkey-bonding time. I can confirm that petting wild donkeys on a bright desert highway makes for a really great vacation activity.

That is until Fat Charlie shows up.

I didn’t either.
The things you learn meeting a group of wild donkeys.
Crossing I-40 again and hopping onto Rte. 66 again north of the freeway we came upon Hackberry, another historic town kept from cardiac arrest with tourist dollars. This one was a bit more developed with merchandise, a hefty array of snacks, both hot and cold, and photo opps. We spent a fair bit of time amusing ourselves with antique cars, gas pumps, and other relics. Yes, my son rolled his eyes when I asked him to take my picture. Sorry, kiddo, you agreed to travel with me.
Official photographer is the role they agree to play.
Ah well, it’d already been a long day of travel and we were ready to settle down in a luxurious hotel room, have a hot bath, and good meal, and a bedbug-free night.

But, you’ll have to tune in next time for The Adventures of Sleeping in Ashfork on Steppe Knows How to Pick ‘Em!
Yikes! Does not sound good!
It's almost impossible to believe that I am nearing the end of my 10-week contract here in Bowling Green and I have learned SO much that will really help and enrich my practice and career. I am very grateful. I definitely have some new skills that 8 short weeks ago were terrifying. Now, I need to shift my focus to moving again, this time to Tucson, my home away from home. I do have a potential contract lead at Banner Health and am waiting to hear about that. Fingers crossed! I will be placed where I am meant to be.
so exciting!
From there, we made good time and pulled into the only (operational) motel in town. I’m sure that there were a few along the interstate on the outskirts, but honestly, I felt safer in the city limits rather than in a trafficking hotspot.
Trafficking hotspot?? Seriously? I must be pretty naïve for that to not even cross my mind.
The Copper State Motel, if nothing else, brings run down to entirely new levels. Beggars, however, are not in the position to be choosers. As long as we had a flat surface to have an equally dismal dinner, right? I hoped that the items we set out for our picnic were fresher than the sheets, but they too were dubious.
Your dinner looks good for travel food.
I was pleased that all of our stuff was still intact when we returned and less pleased when I turned down my bed. Does this not scream Grandma’s in 1970? No? How about a cheap Goodwill find perfect for outfitting your 1975 Starcraft popup? I showered in the mold-encrusted shower grateful for hot water and soap. By morning I was certain that the soap was indeed bedbug bait. The itching was relentless for several days.
There is no way in the world I could have slept in that room.

OK, I could have sworn that I commented on Mono Lake and Death Valley, but I've gone a couple pages and don't see them, but don't have the time to go back. But I don't remember a boardwalk pathway when we were there, which was easily 24 years ago.....

I'm glad you didn't die in Death Valley and now I'm going to read on ahead.

Barstow is a has-been, drug-infested, crime-ridden piece of desert real estate.

I was not aware of this fact.

I made my way to the check-in desk, except it’s…not. It’s a barred window with an anti-shatter glass barrier and microphone protecting the older Indian (Eastern Indian) lady from God knows what peril.

That does sound scary. Had I known the fact listed above I probably would have stayed at Yermo. We've stayed there before during the Calico Ghost Town Civil War Reenactments, there are two modern hotels and Peggy Sue's 50's Diner and Diner-Saur Park. Not that I have been to the latter, but we have eaten at the former and it would definitely rival your choice of dining.

We played it safe in our choice and headed for Roy’s Route 66 Café. This my friends brings "diner" to a whole new level.

But I will have to remember this place and perhaps on one of our trips to Vegas beg Fran to make a stop at this place. I would have ordered the Chicken Fried Steak.

It was just a bit before twilight and I’d have just enough time to grab the camera and head out for some shots of the neon before bed.

Glad you were able to get your neon shots.

And that brings me to the end of Day 4, Sept 10th. I know, I'm going at a terrible snail's pace. I do apologize. I guess I don't want to just slap the chapters together since this was such an epic road trip. It takes time to write and to edit my photos.

That's OK, they're fun to read and I'm woefully behind!

I have such limited time right now. My job, while a bit easier now than those first couple of weeks, is still very demanding and stressful for me and I can barely drag myself out of bed on my days off. On top of that, I am still unpacking boxes and have all of the normal "stuff" to take care of that is part of life.

And at this point you are now getting ready to move on to the new job!

For those of you following along still, from the bottom of my heart thank you!

Still following, just way behind!

Just east of Ludlow, we turned off onto Historic Route 66. Most of the old highway has been swallowed up by Interstate 40, but some portions remain intact, and our goal was to see as much as was reasonable given our timeframe.

I've always wanted to do that too! Start in Santa Monica and follow it East.

Amboy Crater National Landmark.

Been there!

Years ago, I remember pool after pool after pool of salt rimmed settling ponds

Gotta be global warming.

Amboy, California. In 1986, the entire town was for sale which includes a café, post office, gas station, and some little cottages in various states of dilapidation. It even came with the title of Mayor. It hasn’t changed in 35 years

And that may have been when I was there.

Back on the Interstate, we crossed the No-Longer-Mighty Colorado River into Arizona passing through Needles.

That's very sad (no-longer-mighty part).

Many of you are friends with me on FB, but for those of you who aren’t or aren’t on FB, I wanted to just drop a word that my family and I are ok here in Bowling Green,

I'm so sorry about all that devastation, glad you are all OK. And glad you finally got internet back.

I just read your account of the night the tornado hit. It made me tear up. I can't comment much, but you painted a very real and sobering picture of exactly what it was like. I will likely never have a similar experience, and for that I am grateful.

I know that the community is on its way to healing, but I'm sure it's a long road. I know when the Northridge Earthquake hit in 1994, it was a long recovery, and I fear this will be even longer. But as you said there are good and kind people and as long as you have that you'll get there somehow. :hug:

That chili burger looks amazing!!! I’d put NORAD on DEFCON 2 eating that, but holy cow does it look good!!! Nice job on the twilight pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter