The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

Thanks so much, this list is a big help. This way we can plan a quick breakfast or snack while staying at the GF and use our DxDP snack allotments.

Parqueen...since u are on a special diet...you can go to GF cafe for breakfast and they will do your meal to suit your diet. Me and DH are clean eaters (but of course we do cheat a bit at WDW...hahahah)and we just tell them when we order...egg white omelet...fruit...whole wheat toast etc.

It would take more than a snack credit but it gives you more options.

Oh, you can believe it's some good pampering! And with that private dining, plus a really cute cabana boy, you'll love it!! :banana:

Really cute cabana boy?? Oh yummy! :rotfl2: No need for the TV, I'll be too busy watching him! (and DH will know it, thank God he doesn't care!)

Oooh...u have a super cool DH! Ask em if I can come too! I wanna see a cute cabana boy and be pampered! Lol

Yes! I have a super DH! :love: I'm sure he wouldn't mind more to join us....the more the merrier!! :goodvibes

Has anyone ever done the Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Noodle Station? I am thinking of doing this during our July trip and was wondering if you thought it was worth the money - about $28.00 per person. Let me know what your experience was please :goodvibes

lulu - I thought I'd mention that I've read several reports of less-than-magical presentation at Park Fare. I don't have any personal experience, we almost never eat there, but it does seem to have that reputation.:confused:

Maybe you could ask over on the cake thread, to see what everyone's experiences have been - I hate to hear later that you weren't happy. Of course, it could be isolated incidents, and the majority have wonderful cake stories.:wizard: I hope that is the case.

Congrats on getting the cabana times and 'Ohana, it's wonderful when a plan comes together!:goodvibes

We did have that "less than magical experience" with our cake at Park Fare. Now this was 2004 so many things may have changed but they brought it out sat it down for our celebration, looked at my daughter and said we don't do pictures with the prince and Cinderella together:confused3 We had not asked and that was the extent of our cake presentation.

The cake as well was not as expected and price paid in 2004 was $125. I expected more from the cake and at least someone to bring us plates for it. We went and grabbed plates from the buffet. We are returning for another celebration in Oct. but are debating whether to order a cake. Have been looking at the cake thread but any additional advice would be appreciated.

We did have that "less than magical experience" with our cake at Park Fare. Now this was 2004 so many things may have changed but they brought it out sat it down for our celebration, looked at my daughter and said we don't do pictures with the prince and Cinderella together:confused3 We had not asked and that was the extent of our cake presentation.

The cake as well was not as expected and price paid in 2004 was $125. I expected more from the cake and at least someone to bring us plates for it. We went and grabbed plates from the buffet. We are returning for another celebration in Oct. but are debating whether to order a cake. Have been looking at the cake thread but any additional advice would be appreciated.

Ugh....Sorry to hear about your "less than magical experience". We have ordered a special cake for my mom's birthday celebration at GF Cafe. We are paying about $70.00 for a 6" custom cake....just hope it tastes good> :)

Alright, my wife and I are already thinking toward a 2011 Disney trip during the week right before Christmas. That being said, we are definitely considering the Grand Floridian, especially with all the holiday decorations there. It will myself and my wife, along with our 3 daughters who will be 11, 8, and 5 at the time of our trip. That being said, I see so many room options available... So standard room? lagoon view? theme park view? club level? suite? What would you recommend?

Alright, my wife and I are already thinking toward a 2011 Disney trip during the week right before Christmas. That being said, we are definitely considering the Grand Floridian, especially with all the holiday decorations there. It will myself and my wife, along with our 3 daughters who will be 11, 8, and 5 at the time of our trip. That being said, I see so many room options available... So standard room? lagoon view? theme park view? club level? suite? What would you recommend?

Depends on how much money you're willing to part company with! :rotfl:

Our family is going to stay at the GF for the first time and it is also the first time we will be staying Club Level (outer building). My question is whether we will get a choice of view in the sugar Loaf building and if so, do we need to do it in advance or can we request the view during check-in?

MommyGina and parqueen - you're welcome!:goodvibes Keep in mind, this is not a definitive list, it is simply snack credit items that have been confirmed by DISers. There could be (and I'm quite sure there are) other items that have not been discussed. Check with the vendor to be sure.

baler31 - I'm so sorry to hear about your cake experience at 1900 Park Fare. Not the experience you hoped for, I'm sure.:hug: I hope your next cake order goes well, we have had very good experiences at Narcoossee's. I did have to remind the hostess at the podium, and then the server, but they brought out the cake with a flare, allowed everyone to see how pretty it was and have a little celebration - then, they took it back to the kitchen to cut it and present the slices. We left part of the cake for the servers, I wish we'd left more. (very large cake for 3 people!)

Donald & Daisy Duck - You were able to order a custom cake that was only 6"?! That's so great, we had to order at least a 10" to get it custom. I wanted white cake layered with custard and strawberries (or raspberries), with chocolate buttercream frosting and covered with chocolate ganache. Very big cake, lol.

creeldisney - :welcome: As the PPs stated, it really depends on how much you want to spend. You'll have to book at rack, and watch for a discount over the next year, but you probably know that.

The main building during Christmas, so festive! If you are in the mood to splurge, a room in the main building club level would be fantastic at Christmas.

If you are looking to spend less, the outer building rooms have all the same amenities for a lot less money. We have stayed in all levels except the suites, and loved every room.

You want club level, but not the cost of the main building? The GF has club level in the Sugar Loaf outer building. Same IPO assistance, keyed entry, onsite assistance, personal check in and food service; lower cost. Good compromise.

For a first visit, a beautiful view of the castle is nice, especially with 3 princesses!princess: If it is not your first visit, and you don't feel the need for a fabulous view, I would choose garden view. We've had a lagoon view room, and to be honest, I would not fork over the cash - not enough wow! over the garden view for me.

I hope I've given you some food for thought; ask any questions you need, that's why we're here!

I read on the cake thread that you have to insist on the 6" custom cake - Pat said it was much too small for 6 people, but I kept at it. I ordered a chocolate cake filled with custard and raspberries (Pat did say they may not have raspberries = huh??) It will be covered in red fondant with white dots and on top will be chocolate ears and a minnie bow with some flowers - HOPEFULLY!!

When I get back on the 24th, I will let you know if that is what we actually get lol.

So wonderful that you were able to order the 6" - it sounds like the perfect size for 6 people. We had waaaay too much cake. Ate 3 large pieces at the restaurant, left 1/2 the leftovers for the servers, ate 3 more large pieces before we had to throw part of it away.

Our first cake was a 10" as well, and we fed 7 people, still had over 1/2 a cake to take back to the room.

Good luck with yours, I hope it is exactly as you've described.:wizard:

Has anyone ever done the Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Noodle Station? I am thinking of doing this during our July trip and was wondering if you thought it was worth the money - about $28.00 per person. Let me know what your experience was please :goodvibes

We did the WFDP last November, and it was ok. It was something that we wont do again. At the time, it was just starting out, and it was very un organized. The desserts went FAST and only a few things were replenished quickly. SOme of the desserts were very good, others not so much. :lmao:

The BEST thing about the party is that you have a GREAT view of Tinkerbell flying over you and blowing everyone at the TNS a kiss. That was really nice.
The view of the Spectromagic was AWFUL. And we couldnt really leave yet, cause of the thickness of the crowds.

Personally, I would of liked going back to the GF and going to Gaspy's and grabbing their Apple crumb cake and cupcakes and sitting on my balcony to watch Wishes!

It is something to do once, and Im sure since its not NEW, its much more organized and thought out.

Enjoy!

Hi,

I am new to this thread. Being a DVC member I have not stayed CL for a very long time and never GF RPC. We had some borrowed points that had to be used so I booked 3 nights RPC for our 30th anniversary.

I asked this on the CL thread, but thought I would ask here as well.

The only other question I have is - we want to spend one afternoon laying around the courtyard pool. We are staying RPC, but would love to be able to pop into SL for refreshments. Can we do this? Also, is beer available by request anytime of the day?

Thanks for your help.........Laura

LauraLea - :welcome: The answers are "yes" and "yes"!:goodvibes At least, it has always been acceptable to grab a drink at SL if you are an RPC guest - I'm sure it is still OK. You may want to check with the RPC CMs when you arrive, just to be sure.

I don't drink beer, but everyone has said you can ask and get beer throughout the day. There are always cast members around.

Tam1067 - woohoo, nearly there!:dance3:

BamaTigger - thanks for the review of the dessert party.:thumbsup2

If anyone needs more info, I'm pretty sure there are several reviews of it on the Restaurants board; just go over there and do a search.

Okay, so i searched the forum and read the main faq page so, let me know if i'm asking something that's already been answered.

I know there are self service laundry in each building and it's 2 dollars for each machine. my questions:

1. I can bring my own soap/dryer sheets, right? I love the purex 3 in 1 sheets and used them last time I traveled to a condo with washer/dryer's in the room.

2. Do I need coins for the washer and dryer? Can I use dollars, or can I even use my room key? how do you pay for the washer and dryer.

I'm hoping I can possibly do one laudry run in the middle of our stay so that I don't have to pack so much and risk overweight bag charges. Thanks!

Okay, so i searched the forum and read the main faq page so, let me know if i'm asking something that's already been answered.

I know there are self service laundry in each building and it's 2 dollars for each machine. my questions:

1. I can bring my own soap/dryer sheets, right? I love the purex 3 in 1 sheets and used them last time I traveled to a condo with washer/dryer's in the room.

2. Do I need coins for the washer and dryer? Can I use dollars, or can I even use my room key? how do you pay for the washer and dryer.

I'm hoping I can possibly do one laudry run in the middle of our stay so that I don't have to pack so much and risk overweight bag charges. Thanks!

There are washers/dryers in every building except SL - not sure if you were aware of that detail.:)

1. Yes, you can use any combination of soap/fabric softener you like.

2. Coin operated, quarters only. They do have change machines that take $1, $5 and $10 increments, but they are sometimes out or out of order. In that case, you can go to the front desk, concierge desk or the club level desks and ask for change.

I always do some laundry while at the resort, and it usually works out fine. On occasion, you will have to watch for the machines to be available - but not very long.

Any questions you think of, just ask!

There are washers/dryers in every building except SL - not sure if you were aware of that detail.:)

1. Yes, you can use any combination of soap/fabric softener you like.

2. Coin operated, quarters only. They do have change machines that take $1, $5 and $10 increments, but they are sometimes out or out of order. In that case, you can go to the front desk, concierge desk or the club level desks and ask for change.

I always do some laundry while at the resort, and it usually works out fine. On occasion, you will have to watch for the machines to be available - but not very long.

Any questions you think of, just ask!

Hi k&a&c'smom!

You're always so helpful and I love your pics! Just a follow up question to the laundry room in the main building. I know the laundry room is on the 2nd floor, but I have 2 questions about it. First, where exactly on the 2nd floor is it? Second, is it true there is only 1 washer and 1 dryer there? I thought I'd read that somewhere.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I just decided to pack lighter for our stay next month, therefore laundry is going to be a must.:headache: I have NEVER done laundry on vacay before, so this is all new to me. Maybe DH will do it for me, since it was his idea! :rotfl:

Thanks in Advance!

momatater - Thanks for the compliment, that's very sweet of you to say.

LOL about the DH - I think that's fair!;)

To get to the second floor laundry room, just go down the pool elevator, take a left on the second floor and go nearly to the end of the hallway. The laundry is on the left side, it's written on the door, shouldn't be too hard to find it. Same room as the ice machine, btw.

Yes, unfortunately, there is only one washer/one dryer, I'm not sure why. There is room for another, if they removed the utility sink and stacked the dryers like in the other buildings. At any rate, good luck with your laundry chores!:laundy:

ETA: Oh, and the washer/dryer was never busy when we went down, maybe that's why they only have the one.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter