The Ayn Rand Man’s Sis Springs a Surprise Spring Star Wars Weekend Trip Report

Frank_Bullitt

Earning My Ears
Welp, it took long enough, but here’s my Trip report. For those of you who’ve just joined us, check out the pre-trip report to find out the gory particulars of how I ended up going on a last minute trip to May.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3270797

So without further ado, on with the show!

Prelude and Day One: Arrival, Early Mornings and Why American Runs on Dunkin’…and Sam Adams

Sis and I had an early morning connecting flight to DFW from our little backwater regional Airport/Gas Station and Hair Salon (sorry for stealing your act, Ron White), so I had to get up at 4am to make the connecting flight. To those of you who get up early for a living you’re like, ‘Right, so what?’

You know that feeling you get the day before your WDW trip and you’re sooooo excited because you’ve been planning and packing for a week before, and you can’t sleep because you’re soooo excited? Well, I couldn’t sleep but it was for a different reason…

To explain we’re going to rewind a week so you see how the week before played out:

Monday, May 5th (Me): Eh, I’ve got time, I’ll do laundry and pack on Wednesday evening.

Wednesday, May 7th (Me): Ugh, just got back from an overnight trip to Omaha, I’m sacked out, I’ll pack on the weekend.

Saturday, May 10th I received an email from Sis early Saturday morning reminding me that this weekend is Mother’s Day and we promised them to drive out and see them. So en route to the folk’s house I stop by a DQ and pick up an Ice Cream Cake and have them put ‘Mom’ on it. Sis at least had the foreknowledge to get cards and a gift for her and even forged my signature.
And the cake melted. In an air-conditioned car, no less. Sis said at least the 90 degree weather we were experiencing would be good training for going to Orlando. I should also point out by this point she had made ressies, fast passes for some of the rides, and was bouncing off the walls with excitement. For me it was just so surreal it hadn’t sunk in.

Come Sunday evening when I finally got home I was exhausted and said ‘Screw it, I’m going to pack tomorrow evening.

Tuesday, May 13th (evening before we depart), I get home with this nagging feeling I should be doing something. I finished my TPS reports, I balanced my checkbook, but I felt like I was missing something.

Then at about 7pm I get a reminder on my phone (seriously I use the dickens out of my Outlook reminders for work and personal stuff, even for small things like paying bills and setting out the trash) that says “Disney Trip in 12 hours.”

It’s safe to say that panic, if that’s the proper word, didn’t creep up our intrepid traveler’s spine, it was a high-speed bullet train that raced up his vertebrae and collided at full tilt with his lower cerebral cortex. Not only had I not packed, but I hadn’t even done laundry. Now, in fairness since I was planning on checking a bag in, I didn’t need any of those dratted 3 oz liquids crap to put in your carryon, so at least I was safe there. So for the next few hours I’m running around pulling clothes to be laundered and packed and stuffed and so forth. At Zero Dark Thirty (12:30am to the civvies) I’m done packing but now I’m so keyed up I couldn’t sleep. So I poured meself a dram of my favorite Highland scotch and watched The Little Mermaid until I fell asleep in my chair.

Fast forward to the Travel Day: Our flight was at 6am, so my alarm (which, thank God, was my phone) woke me up at 4am, and I felt like I had been sleeping in a chair. Which, as it turned out, I had. I felt like an extra from the Walking Dead and so I moaned and shuffled up to the kitchen and put on a pot of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee, extra strong. I then shuffled into the shower, turned the knob all the way to Cold and opened up the throttle.
After peeling myself off the ceiling and hopping back into my skin I showered and did all the usual morning toiletries that a man does in the morning. I had the foreknowledge to pack my toiletries in the check-in after the shower, and by that point the coffee was ready. I poured myself a ginormous cup of straight up coffee and tossed it down, and felt the molten caffeine course through my system.
I was human, now.
Or at least lucid enough to put the suitcases in the car, lock the house and make the drive to pick up sis. Sis was ready and waiting when I arrived at her place, and we made the 20-odd minute trip to our Airport/Hair Salon and Tire center.
Seriously it was so small we arrived 30 minutes before our flight and still had enough time to check in luggage and walk through the TSA line, then walk out a door and up a flight of stairs into an aircraft that resembled a Pringles can with wings. I kept expecting the ground crew to wind up the front propeller of our plane or for there to be some giant slingshot to propel us into the air.

The short flight to DFW was boring, so rather than give you a minute by minute update I’ll go off on a little tangent about proper traveling attire. For those of you who’ve read my Character thread, I’m a bit of a clothes horse and I also travel a lot for work. When I’m on the clock I wear a suit to travel in. This isn’t just a fashion statement, it’s a necessity that helps you get through the TSA lines all the quicker and don’t set off the metal detector and get sent to the dreaded groping pen. Seriously why is it that the only TSA agents that do the groping are gnarly old people?
Of course there was that brunette cutie at the W.A. Mozart airport in Salzburg, but I suspect she had a hidden agenda…

GET ON WITH IT!

*Ahem*

So a suit is a necessity because of all the pockets it has, you can put your wallet, keys, boarding pass, change, watch, ring and any other metal objects in your jacket pocket, then all you have to do is take your jacket off and put it in the tray.

Now, if you’re traveling to Orlando in the summer then a suit jacket is out of the question. But what’s a fashionable fellow going wear? The answer, gentle readers, is a bush jacket, courtesy of Travelsmith. Basically it’s a khaki safari shirt with deep bellows pockets and the sleeves can even be rolled up. And inside pockets that zipper up.

Oh, and the TSA agent was amused by my pink stripper socks :rotfl2:

Dawn had broken over the Dallas metro area when we landed, and we made our way to our necessary gate courtesy of the airport monorail (foreshadowing of things to come), and when we were at our gate Sis wanted to grab herself some breakfast. She ordered some sort of brekkie wrap at Au Bon Pain, and offered me some.
At this point I was coming off my caffeine buzz and my stomach was churning. I declined and made my way through the food court to see if anything seemed appetizing. Whilst on the way, the internal plumbing woke up so a detour to the men’s room was necessary. Afterwards, I stopped at a TGI Fridays and had a tall Sam Adams from the draft.
(Hey, at the time it was after noon in Dublin, so what?)
Anyways, after a bracer I felt right enough to have a Thai chicken wrap from some kiosk, and after an hour’s wait we were on our 737 bound for MCO!
When the plane touched down I started to get into the ‘mood’. Sis was all excited, and she hadn’t remembered that the monorails at Orlando had the same ‘please stand clear of the doors’ that the Disney resorts had.

We made our way to the Magic Express busses, and it began to rain. Now, in fairness, ‘tis the season, and the chances for rain were only for two of our days, and then only in the afternoon/evening.

After a brief 40-odd minute bus ride they deposited us at the Pop Century resort. Now, I’ve heard lots of things about the Pop Century Resort, good and bad, so I had a sense of dread and foreboding when I arrived. In previous trips I had always stayed at the luxury resorts; the Contemporary or the Poly. So I felt that I might get a bit of a culture shock going from a deluxe resort to a value resort.

Well, the lobby was clean and very nicely themed, the desk clerks were as friendly and attentive as any CMs at the deluxe resorts, so I was happy with that. Our room was one on the 4th floor of the 60’s building, next to the giant 8-Track tape and within view of the large Mickey Phone.

Our Room

My first impressions were nice, so far so good. And it reminded me of something, and it took me a while to get it. Pop Century, the resort and the rooms are modeled after those old-school motor inns and motels that still crop up in the real world. Unlike their real world counterparts, the rooms are clean, mickey-themed and don’t have the dreaded paper-thin walls or the usual human flotsam and jetsam that inhabit such places. I wanted to hit the food court, but Sis reminded me that she had a ressie for us at Sanaa.

Now, getting to the AKL Villas was a bit of a jaunt. This also demonstrates why it’s good to do research on transportation before embarking on the journey. In this instance, since I always rode the monorail, any time I had to get to a restaurant that wasn’t on the monorail line I took the bus from the TTC. So I told sis, eh, let’s take a bus to the MK, then we can hop on the monorail to the TTC.

Well, it was a nice jaunt to the MK, and riding the monorail was nice. Then we get to the TTC, and it says ‘Buses to Animal Kingdom leave from the Magic Kingdom’.
I believe the phrase rhymes with ‘clucking bell.’ :furious:
So we hopped back on the monorail for the MK, and grabbed a bus to the AKL. Thankfully we had a 5:15 ressie and we left around 3ish out of boredom. We arrived at the villas around 4:45 and were able to take in some of the sights of the animals and varmits.

Another tidbit to tuck away: whilst we were waiting for our table, some gal came up with a party of like 15 and was upset because their ADR wasn’t showing up. Well, the problem was that she made the ADR like an hour ago, it was a last minute deal. And the CM’s were patiently trying to tell the lady that since the ADR system charges you a fee for making a ressie and not canceling on time, there’s less opportunity for walk-ups.

Anways, at or around 5pm our buzzer went off and we were seated. I ordered a Kingfisher Beer (an Indian lager) and Sis ordered a Coke. Now Sis had been raving about the bread service, so we ordered that as an appetizer.
We ordered the Traditional Naan, and the Garlic Ginger Naan. For accompaniment we ordered the Red Chile Sambal, the Garlic Pickle and Tamarind Chutney.
Wow.
That’s all I can say. I can see what the hype is. To quote Billy the Bard, if food be the music of love, then this was a symphony of flavor. It was Beethoven’s 9th Symphony, from the opening salvo to the last steps of the march. As I said, I totally get the hype. Problem was, it was so good that we filled up on the Bread Service, and neither Sis nor I had room for a main course. So I ordered a Samosa from the appetizer menu and the salad sampler, I think I had the Watermelon Cucumber salad, the Bhel Puri, and the the Chickpea, Tomato and Chickpea.

It rained several times whilst we were noshing, but by the time we were finished, it stopped completely.
After our early dinner we made our way to the Magic Kingdom, and over to Futureland. There we rode Space Mountain, and it was fun, if a bit unnerving.
The only worse thing than being in a claustrophobic indoor ride with many jerky turns, twists, and drops…is doing a ride like that in the dark.

After that Sis had FP’s for The Little Mermaid ride, which we did, and it was fun. I thought the interactive queue was cool, and having Scuttle there was a nice touch. Disney, in all it’s profound understanding of the human psyche and its advancements in social engineering, seems to understand that keeping the kiddos occupied is important. The only complaint, or remark that Sis made was that if they lowered the lighting a bit more in the ‘Under the Sea’ bit, but other than that it was pretty cool. It was also a bit interesting in that it shared a lot of common themes with the Magic Kingdom’s historical dark rides like Peter Pan and the late Snow White’s Scary Adventure.

Next up was Mickey’s Philharmagic, which I’ve seen before but always enjoyed being a fan of the Duck. They’ve had a refurb since my last trip in 2009 as there was more lights/sounds/smells than the last time. Whilst in the gift shop afterwards I picked up a cute tee for one of my nephews, it has the Donald having a meltdown and says “The Original Angry Bird”.

The other two FP’s that Sis had was for Peter Pan and It’s a Small World. As it turned out we didn’t need one for the latter, as it was basically a walk-on. Peter Pan was enjoyable, and I forgot that they added the easter egg of putting Ariel in the Lagoon scene with the other mermaids. Nice touch.

As for It’s a Small World? Well, I distinctively recall skipping it on my last trip, but I couldn’t remember why. Welp, in riding it with Sis, I remembered why.

First the positive aspects: for you history buffs IASW (at least the one in Disneyland) was constructed for the 1964 World’s Fair. So for a ride that is a carbon copy of a ride that is 50 years old, it’s held up very well; the styling, the different country’s theming all has panache, and it’s clear someone (thank you, Mary Blair) spent a lot of effort on it.

Now the downside. Do you want to know what the downside is? I’ll give you a hint:

“There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone.
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
It's a small small world”​

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Good luck getting that out of your head. Okay, all joking and sadistic Pavlovian conditioning aside, the ride’s themesong is a nicely constructed, bouncy tune that is a fine tribute to the Sherman Brother’s mad skills at writing music and lyrics. That still doesn’t stop the fact that it’s an annoying earworm that gets stuck in your head forever…ever…ever…ever…

Anyways, by this point it was getting late, and for myself who was operating on 4 hours of sleep and much caffeine and booze, by this point my fun meter’s pegged. So we made our way back to the entrance, using the Train as a means to bypass the crowded Main Street.
Some folks have been dissing the bus system, and I can tell you that for the most part on our trip we rarely spent more than 10 minutes waiting for a bus. Interestingly enough our bus driver was this older fella who was a real hoot, and I remembered him from my last trip (his spiel about ‘If you’re happy with my driving, my name is (insert name), and I’ve been a bus driver for Disney World for over 10 years. If you’re not happy with my driving, my name is Bill, I hate that guy.’)

Made it back to Pop Century, where I stopped by Everything Pop for a snack and a couple of tallboys of Sam Adams, and we hobbled back to the room and crashed.

Hope you enjoyed this mad little rambling post, there'll be more to come, work, life and coffee permitting.

For those who want a sneak preview of the next post (and fair warning, the sneaks ain't gonna like it!), it will be Day Two; with The Walt Disney Pentecostal Experience, aka the Magic Kingdom Opening Ceremony (Casey Jr., Testify!), Wherein I ask one of the Maids at the Haunted Mansion ‘Why So Serious?’ and also where I find that I Don’t Like the Ducks, but The Ducks Like Me, as well as and the Simple Joy of a Casey’s Dog.

Until then, have a Magical Day!

(Author's Note: I had to split this in two parts, otherwise it would be a permanent resident of my Word doc. Hopefully I'll have part 2 up by the weekend...in the meantime enjoy!)

On Thursday Day 2 the morning came early enough, and I was a bit annoyed that it was Olaf the Snowman Who Likes Nice Warm Hugs that greeted me in my 6am wakeup call and not the Big Cheese himself. The reason for the early morning was the Magic Kingdom’s Extra Magic Hours early morning, and I wanted Sis to see the opening ceremony.

To weather the weather, I went with a pair of khaki shorts, my fav Sin City Brewing Co tee, and of course the Bush Jacket. I also brought out the Saddleback Leather Satchel (to read my love of rugged satchels, read my character interactions thread) and packed it up for the day. I packed extra Cliff bars, sunblock, Autograph book, pen, my cigs, and my lucky Playboy Bunny Zippo. So, if you saw a handsome fella in a bush jacket and a satchel, that was probably me :cool1:
Oh, and my gym water bottle.

A word about the water, and those who frequent WDW frequently or are denizens of Orlando, one great way to stay rehydrated in the hot Florida sun is the good ol’ H20. And also if you frequent the Happiest Place on Earth, the water at WDW is potable but has an interesting flavor. I warned Sis about it in advance, she seemed to think it had a sulphuric aftertaste.

GET ON WITH IT!

*ahem* So after a quick brekki of cereal bars we made our way to the bus stop. I have to say that the bus transportation around WDW has always been very good, and in less than 15 minutes our bus showed up and we were ‘Oscar Mike,’ as the wannabe Walter Mitty Call of Duty crowd would say. It was already in the 80’s when we arrived, but the lines weren’t too bad, so Sis and I blazed through the security checkpoint. I have to admit it, the Magic Bracelet is a great addition. You still have to do the biometric thingie with your finger, but it’s a lot smoother than with the tickets. By the time we were cleared it was still early enough for us to get a good viewing spot in the center.

When the time approached I noticed that the lines were backing up and the crowds began forming. Interestingly enough that morning some famous Univision starlet was doing some sort of video shoot before the opening of the park. I ran across her later in the day without her minders, but I had no idea who she was. Then, exactly 15 minutes before time, the opening strains of the rope drop ceremony began.

A word about the opening ceremony. It’s one of those things you have to experience. And even watching it on Youtube isn’t the same as being there. Even now, as I sit in my office and churn out this bizarre trip report, I have trouble recapturing that ‘magic.’ It is very inspiring, and if Walt Disney had aspirations of starting his own religion like L. Ron Hubbard then this would be the weekly prayer meeting that you as a member of the 1st Church of Walt would have to attend. Towards the end the music reached its climax and the Mayor says that he sees the train coming, when the whistle blew I kept half expecting him to say “Testify, Brother Casey, Testify!”

Then the rope dropped. And a surging human tsunami surged on Main Street USA. It was then that Sis and I found out that the only two ‘lands’ open during EMH are Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

The poet Homer summed it up best: ‘D’oh!’

So we rode Space Mountain again, and made our way over to Fantasyland. True story, most of the people in Fantasyland were either queuing up for the Princess Hall for everyone’s favorite Scandinavian imports (and no, I’m not talking about Volvo or Absolut) or the Peter Pan ride. Seriously, Sis and I had a FP for Peter Pan, when we entered the FP line the standby time was like 25 minutes and when we exited the ride the standby time was already up to 50 minutes. Incredible.

Anways, the Peter Pan ride was nice to experience a second time, personally I like the ride, but I don’t understand why people are spending 50 minutes in standby to ride it. Could be a logistical thing. Anyways, after that we made our way over to the Carousel, and Sis wanted to ride it. I bit the bullet and picked the least froufy horse I could find and rode it. It wasn’t as bad as I thought, and Sis enjoyed herself so that’s the important thing.

Afterwards I checked the standby time for the Princess Hall just out of morbid curiosity.

Anna and Elsa’s standby line was (wait for it) 300 minutes. 5. Hours. Funny enough, some of the news outlets the week after our trip were running a story about how hot of property the Frozen cast was. And they showed the photo for evidence. All I can say is, we were there. We know.

We hit Winnie the Pooh and afterward made our way over to the Liberty Square entrance, and were pretty much able to walk right on to the Haunted Mansion.
They completely redid the queuing area to have interactive things like a mural of instruments that would ‘play’ if you touched them. Oh, and a couple of bone-topped teenagers were doing typical teen shenanigans in the line, and one of the HM CM’s called them out on it. This one caught my attention, and for those of your who are not connoisseurs of the Haunted Mansion, the Cast Members dress up as butlers and maids. In my previous trips we had some real doozies for butlers, including one hatchet-faced fellow who looked like he was born to play the role. The maids are more hit and miss, but the one guarding the front door was spot on. And sort of cute. My only real complaint (and it’s more a fashion complaint than anything) was that she was wearing those bugeye Paris Hilton sunglasses, although, in true HM fashion, she had this stony expression on her face. This was at the entrance to the house, and since I was at the head of the crowd I was pretty much in full view, and we both took turns staring at each other through our respective eyewear, until I relented. I removed my shades, cocked my head to one side, and asked her ”Why So Serious? “
Just in an average conversational tone.

There was a minor quake around the area of the lower left corner of her lip, and a mild quiver of her cheek, but to her credit, she stayed in character and just stared at me as if I were something Pluto left on the lawn. :lmao:

I read somewhere on the boards that the HM had a comprehensive refurb since my last trip in `09 and it shows. The ‘inside’ of the mansion is much scarier than I remember, and the graveyard scene was better than I remembered. Sis got her thrills out of it, and enjoyed it as well.
One thing that was a nice touch, in the last bit, where you run across the ‘hitchhiking ghosts’ they’ve improved it. Whereas before it was a sort of kitschy 70’s hologram of Ghosts, these ones actually ‘interact’ with the rider and take into account if there is 1 or 2 riders in the Doom Buggy. Very cool. The Reverend Walt would approve.

Up next will be part 2 of Day 2, work permitting I hope to have it up by the weekend. A sneak preview includes Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain (also known as Wash n' Spin Mountain), Mermaids and Muskets at POTC, Ducks Amok at Casey's, and A Big, Brave, Beautiful (and Wet) FutureWorld.

Day Two, Part Deux: Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain (also known as Wash n' Spin Mountain), Mermaids and Muskets at POTC, Ducks Amok at Casey's, and A Big, Brave, Beautiful (and Wet) FutureWorld.

(AN: Yep, I’m back, I wasn’t going to rage quit this report. For anyone that was following the other thread, my apologies for deleting it. If you still want to read that thread (without the grubby infernal little trolls) PM me and I’ll send you a link)

As Freddy Mercury said, the Show Must Go On!! :cool1:

One tidbit I forgot to mention in the first part, after Space Mountain we hoofed it through that side street that connects the outer hub to Fantasyland (and skirts past Merida’s place and the wishing well), where Sis stopped to sit and I stopped for a cig break. We met a delightful elderly lady from Manchester, who had her daughter and granddaughter with her. We traded stories about the differences between WDW and Disneyland Paris, and I commiserated with the grandmother over her favorite FC’s loss (Manchester United tied in a game a few weeks back, and lost a shot at the cup for the first time in like 20 years!) Anyways, it as a nice interlude. Now On with the Show!

After the Haunted Mansion ride we hoofed it through Frontierland, as sis had a FP for Splash Mountain. Sure enough, we needed it, the standby time was 50 minutes. I’ve always enjoyed Splash Mountain, it’s one of the ‘Old School’ rides that still has the charm you remember as a child, and has held up rather well. Funny enough one time we were riding it (I believe it was either Friday or Saturday) Sis and I got a backrow seat, and we had a group of obnoxious high schoolers in the boat. At one point one of them was splashing some of the girls in the front of the boat by reaching out and into the water. Talk about clutching the Idiot Ball, seriously kid what part of ‘Keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the boat at all times’ don’t you get? The punchline is not a minute into them doing that then a disembodied voice came over the loudspeaker and boomed “KEEP YOUR HANDS INSIDE THE BOAT!” :scared:

Needless to say the brats were scared poop-less. And were wondering how they got caught, I resisted the urge to tell them that every inch of these dark rides have CCTV to prevent such shenanigans.

Anyways, Sis and I found out the hard way that people in the back get soaked, so after we disembarked we determined to dry off the old fashioned way: rollercoasters. And Thunder Mountain had a 15 minutes standby time, so that worked perfectly. Sure enough, after a wild ride through the mine tunnels and the canyons of Thunder Mountain, by the time our train reentered we were pretty well dry.

We double backed through Adventureland, Sis wanted to try a Dole Whip, not much interested me, so we made our way to the POTC plaza. I noticed that they’ve expanded the ‘How to Train Your Pirate’ to have a full blown stage, which was nice. Like clockwork, a few large drops started to fall down, and Sis and I took refuge inside the POTC ride. The standby time wasn’t too bad, about 20 minutes, and they’ve enhanced the queue area so it helped. And it was nice and cool inside! The POTC ride was nice, they’ve updated the ‘waterfall’ hologram to have Ian McShane as Blackbeard giving the warnings. And the eerie thing, while you float through the nighttime lagoon at the beginning, is you hear the mermaids singing, and water boiling at various points, and brief flashes of something shiny swimming under the surface. Anyone who’s watched the movie would have been unnerved. The fact that we had a rather corpulent fellow in front of me, causing my side of the boat to dip slighting in, also was a factor, I think. :rotfl2:

Sis really though that Jack’s addition to the ride worked well, she joked that it looked more realistic than Johnny Depp!

After the ride it was still raining, so we lingered in the gift shop. I decided to buy a couple of muskets for the nephews, and Sis got some earrings for Mom.

It was getting close to 11am, and as we bypassed the Spoke in favor of that little side-street that takes you past the Crystal Palace, we both decided it was a good time to get some grub. And since I love Casey’s dogs, I told Sis we should stop there. There was also a parade going on, so staying off the street was a plus.

Whilst Sis waited in line to get her food I held a table and chairs for us. Now, given that it’s Disneyworld, it’s expected to have ducks everywhere. But I don’t know if it was the construction they were doing by the hub that evicted all the ducks from their pond, or if Donald was having 300 of his closest relatives over for the weekend, but whatever the case they were everywhere. And had absolutely no fear of humans. They would walk right up to your table and sit there staring at you until you gave them food.

One obnoxious twit was freaking out, as if the ducks were somehow a bloodthirsty carnivore that would deliver a venomous bite if it got too close to her. Silly.

Anyways, Sis got back with her food so I went to order mine. I got the Polish Dog with Fries with a Lemonade Light. I have to say they’ve done a great job in streamlining the ordering and delivering process. The CM’s were very helpful and friendly, too. When I got my food, I proceeded to the Sacred Altar of Fixin’s and loaded my dog up with Sauerkraut and Pickle Relish, then drenched my fries in cheese. I calculated via My Fitness Pal that I burned around 800 calories this morning just walking, so I deserved a nice lunch ;)

Sis got the Corn Dog Nuggets and Fries, and said they were delish, I enjoyed my dog immensely, and the fries. And Donald’s cousin was disappointed that I refused to share my fries with him, so Sis gave him a couple of fries.

After our early lunch we noticed the park was rapidly filling up, so we decided to split. The Main Street area was so full that you could quite literally crowd-surf from Hub to the Train Station and not worry about falling and hitting your head on the pavement. I wouldn’t recommend it, though. We improvised, adapted and overcame by cutting through the gift shops, which are all interconnected so you can enter at Casey’s and exit by the firestation on the other side, which we did.

After leaving the Magic Kingdom we hit the monorail to make for the TTC. Sure enough there were droves and droves of people thronging to get into the Magical Place, so we called it.

When we arrived at EPCOT, and it started to rain again. And in Orlando, when you see the first couple of drops hit, you have about 17 seconds to find cover before it p*sses down on you like California Chrome on a flat rock. Fortunately it only rained our arrival day and day 2, it was clear the rest of the time.

We started walking Around the World (Showcase) and checked out all the Food and Flower kiosks, I snapped few pics of the topiaries, I’ll have to post them as time comes available.

Oh, speaking of Dole Whips, I found the Adult Version of that, and it rocked.

No, not that ‘Adult Version!’ Get your head out of the toilet.

There was a Flower and Food kiosk in the Showcase Plaza, just across from that large travel themed gift shop whose name now escapes me. They serve soft serve pinapple with your choice of white rum or Myer’s Dark Rum. In the immortal works of the Donald; ‘Oh Boy, Oh Boy!’
It was soooo refreshing and the rum just seeps into every part of that ice cream. Of course I don’t recommend having more than one…per hour. And definitely don’t have one just before Mission Space or Test Track, otherwise you’ll ‘Yeti and Yack’ all over your seatmate.

When the rain first hit, we were close to Morocco, so we took refuge in one of the ornate buildings that had an open atrium. I chatted up one of the CM’s, who was very friendly and grateful to chat with a fellow Francophone.

After the rain let up we made our way across the world and past the Norway pavilion. We were both shocked that the Maelstrom ride, which in the past was one of those nice, air-conditioned rides that you could quite literally walk onto, is now some sort of hot-ticket item! I guess the gals at Frozen should be credited with rekindling an interest in all things Norwegian. I stopped at their kiosk to get a Carlsburg, and Sis got a Sprite.

At the Mexican pavilion I stopped at their kiosk and had one of the Top-Shelf Rita that had some sort of very high-end tequila in it. It was the most expensive rita on the menu, topping out at around 15 bucks, I think. Anyways, they didn’t chinze on the booze, it was quite good, if strong.
As I was enjoying my Rita, the stormclouds were gathering, so we ducked into the Pyramid. I hadn’t been inside in a while, and was impressed at how well it’s held up. We browsed the ‘outdoor’ market inside, and finally made our way over to the ride entrance for the Rio del Tiempo, er, I mean the Grand Fiesta Tour. I quickly downed the last of my `Rita, much to the appreciation of one of the CMs, who said that I read her mind as she was about to tell me that drinks were not permitted on the ride.

The ride itself is nice, what retheming they did to it works, and most importantly, it was indoors and air-conditioned.

When we exited the ride it had stopped raining, so Sis and I made our way to Spaceship Earth. On our way we stopped at the Art of Animation, which had some truly gorgeous artwork. Sis was enticed because one of the artists did steampunk versions of various Disney Rides, with Mickey and the gang at the controls.
I purchased several art sketches of various Disney characters and chatted up Eddie the artist.

After that we made our way over to Spaceship Earth and rode it. Sis remarked that the ride was still good, but that the maintenance people were getting sloppy, (she pointed out that when we were moving backwards through a ‘Night Sky’ one of the stars burnt out :lmao:)

After Space Mountain it was still raining down on us, and I was feeling the beginnings of the dreaded blisters on my feet, so we both decided to call it a day and headed back to Pop Century.

Back at the resort I dressed my blisters and put on sneakers to help cushion it, and by this point the hunger bug had bit us and we headed over to Everything Pop food court.
Sis got the flatbread pepperoni Pizza, which she enjoyed and said it was fresh, and I had the Breaded Chicken Parmesan with the alfredo pasta. And washed it down with a pint of Sam Adams.

Afterwards Sis wanted to chill in the room, and I decided to chill at the smoking section with a Drew Estate cigar and my hip flask filled with Black Label Johnny Walker. I have to say, the folks who stay at Pop Century are some very friendly, easygoing folks. None of them were bothered by the cigar smoke (and I made it a point to ask before I lit up if the smoke would bother them) and I had a nice time chatting with them. There was a couple of guys who brought their families from Brazil and we had a nice chat about the bureaucracy issues they have there and how difficult it is to start a business vs here in the US. There was a retired businessman from Boston who brought his grandkids to WDW and was taking a smoke break whilst the kiddos watched a movie by the pool, and we had a nice chat as well. Anways, at about 10 o’clock I was ready for bed and hobbled back to the room for some shuteye.

Sneak Preview for Day 3 Star Wars Friday! Darth Tater and French Fries, Almost Losing Your Lunch in the Twilight Zone, An Unexpected Meeting with a Childhood Object of Much Loathing, Rooting for the Empire and the Pointlessness of Darth’s Mall.

(AN: I hope to get this part up by next week, or the weekend. Thanks for your interest!)

Yeah in high school one year all I asked for for Christmas was a copy of the movie version of the fountainhead. I don't love the way they keep changing the cast with the atlas shrugged movies but they're at least doing a pretty good job sticking to the book.

I wish someone would make a movie of we the living. I think it's short enough to translate nicely.

Anyway, the report is pretty funny so I'll keep following.

Oh and the Pringles can plane made me laugh. Kept thinking of the guy in clerks with his hand caught in one. Let the last ones go!

Glad to read there are other smokers (and friendly ones) at the WDW parks and resorts. I was all prepared to be shunned and glared at and made to feel like lepers!

Glad to read there are other smokers (and friendly ones) at the WDW parks and resorts. I was all prepared to be shunned and glared at and made to feel like lepers!

My own impression with the smokers on property was this sort of esprit de corps among fellow smokers, the old 'we gotta stick together' mindset, so yeah you'd fit right in.
I especially liked the fact that none of them were bothered by the cigar smoke, as in the 'real' world alot (but not all) cigarette smokers hate the smell of cigar smoke.

Yeah in high school one year all I asked for for Christmas was a copy of the movie version of the fountainhead. I don't love the way they keep changing the cast with the atlas shrugged movies but they're at least doing a pretty good job sticking to the book.

I wish someone would make a movie of we the living. I think it's short enough to translate nicely.

Anyway, the report is pretty funny so I'll keep following.

Oh and the Pringles can plane made me laugh. Kept thinking of the guy in clerks with his hand caught in one. Let the last ones go!

Yeah I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged in high school and both shaped (or warped, depending on your POV) views that I still hold today.

Haha yes, Clerks!! Seriously that little puddlejumper we flew to DFW on was tiny!!

Just received word a previously unpublished Ayn Rand novel is coming out in 2015! It was written in 1934. Should be interesting.

Missing your TR updates :(

Hey Oodalally13 (and everybody else!) I'm sorry for the delay in updating. I've got like 1/3 to 1/2 of Friday written in my doc manager, but work has me buried up to my neck and the 4th holiday set me behind as well.
I'll sit down this evening and bang out some more of it, and if I don't have any more done I'll split it up and post what I currently have by the weekend.
Thanks for your patience and continued interest.

Btw you were right about the smoking spots and other smokers! We met so many cool and friendly people! Mom even says those were the nicest people we encountered the entire trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter