The BALD and the BEAUTIFUL are off to see SNOW WIPE again!! A Nov 2011 PTR! pic heavy

November 8th- Day One

The morning will be filled with a lot of packing and last minute errands. I normally have everything packed up and ready to go a week before any vacation, but being that this is a surprise trip for DD I have to keep everything on the down-low.

Reya will go to school at her normal time of 8:45 am , but instead of getting off at 3:45 I’ll pick her up at 11:30 am.

I'm so excited to see her reaction when she sees me at the front office! :yay:
She’ll be extremely shocked and curious when she steps inside the car to find it all packed up. She'll also be really HAPPY to see daddy in the front seat and NOT at work where he should be. The two of us will proceed to tell her that we've decided we all needed to get away and have a good time. We don’t know where we’re going or how long we will be gone. It could be a day or it could be several. All we want from her is to relax, have fun, behave, and to keep the questions to a minimum. :hyper2:
((Yeah, right!!!)))
:rotfl2:

Just so you know, we plan on keeping EVERYTHING a secrect from Reya. We want everyday to be one BIG surprise! I'm also thinking about adding to the excitment by leaving a hidden gift for her everynight from Tinkerbell. :tink: It will be something different each night and a clue as to what to expect the following day? (( I'll be sure to keep you updated.;) ))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, right now my main concern is the weather. We’ll be driving through the mountains, and I have a hard enough time with sharp turns and steep hills when the roads are dry, let alone when they’re covered with ice and snow. :rolleyes1 1-70 is also well known for shutting down OFTEN during the winter due to dangerous road conditions. So keep your fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate. :thumbsup2

Our first stop for the day is only 30 minutes away in the quaint town of Idaho Springs.
100_5175-1.jpg

We plan on having lunch at one of our favorite pizza spots. Beau Jo’s. Pizza!
MENUBeau-Jos_Page_011-2.jpg

My mouth is salivating just thinking about it. They have the yummiest pizza! The best part is getting to the crust and eating it with honey! Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Mmmmmm! :goodvibes

After we’re done with lunch we’ll hit the road.:drive: I’m hoping that Jayden will fall asleep in the car so we won’t have to stop again until we reach our final destination for the night. It's only a 2 hour drive from Idaho Springs, so if all goes according to plan we'll arrive in Glenwood Springs, no later then 4:00 pm.

We're staying at THE HOTEL GLENWOOD SPRINGS
1464442_40_b1.jpg

I reserved a room with a King size bed, pull out couch for Reya, fireplace, and a kitchenette.
Planning ahead for dinner that night, I think we might pick up some sandwiches from a local deli and store them in the fridge until we're hungry.

One of the main reasons I chose this particular hotel was because of their amazing indoor pool. It's beautiful and consists of a Huge waterslide and Kiddie splash area along with some other fun things to do.

1464442_54_b1.jpg

After we get checked in and bring our belongings up to the room, we'll either head to the indoor pool or go to the BIG Hot Springs pool down the street. The Hot Springs were my main reason for stopping in Glenwood in the first place. I haven’t been in many years and have always wanted to take my kids. Reya and Jayden are both fish,:fish: and I know they're going to LOVE it. But with this being Colorado it could be a blizzard or it could be warm and sunny? The nice thing about the hot springs though, is it doesn’t matter what the weather is AND they’re open until 10:00 pm so chances are we'll hit the pool for at least a little while. I’ve actually always wanted to go while it was snowing, but I’m not going to take the kids out in extreme freezing temperatures while there in their bathing suits. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the conditions are when we get there?:confused3

But if all goes well, we’ll spending the early evening getting our swim on here:

GlenwoodSpring20080706-1.jpg

GSHotspringsPool2-1.jpg

Whether we spend the evening at the hotel pool or the Hot Springs, Reya will be satisfied. As long as she's swimming and staying the night at a Hotel she'll be as happy as can be. :cloud9:

After we’re done swimming we’ll head back to the room, change into our comfy pj's, and eat some dinner. Hopefully it'll be an early night and the kids will be exhausted. We'll have a long, long drive in the morning and will need some much needed sleep.

I think Reya will be pleased with the first day of her SURPRISE TRIP! :goodvibes

Ugh, having to cut it short by a day stinks!!! But I don't think I could justify THAT much more for one more night either. Boo!
Yeah :( I'm excited to spend 5 days at Disney though. I have a really fun day planned for that one day I had to cut from Anaheim too! :thumbsup2

Love the Pre-TR!!
Thank you and welcome!
Subbing! Your trip sounds super fun!! I think I commented about the Fairfield Inn in my PTR in answer to you question today, but it's a very good hotel and the proximity to McDonald's and Mimi's is a huge plus! Plus it's in walking distance of the parks which is nice at the end of the night.

Your kids are adorable btw!! :goodvibes
Welcome.... And thank you! :goodvibes Mmmmmmmm I didn't even think about the muffins at Mimi's. The blueberry is to die for. The place we're staying is about a 10 minute walk to the parks. It's a beautiful walk as well, but it would be lovely to be right across the streeth. sounds tempting with two small kids.

A lot of great information about your first day of travel and stops! I really wish my parenst had ever surprised us with a vacation when I was younger. I'll have to make a memo to myself to do it someday when I have a family of my own, lol.

What darling kiddos! :cutie:

Fremont St. in Vegas is so boring for little kids. You'd be better off on the Strip. My kids really disliked the Fremont area. Monte Carlo is usually fairly priced. MGM is also fun with the lions and close to the M n M store which my kids love. The Mirage has the big fish tanks and those are neat too. Circus Circus is cheap but worn and dirty. Excalibur is another decent option but it's a big place.

As far as your hotel choices for Disneyland, I haven't stayed at any of them so I can't comment. I've stayed at all 3 on property hotels with the GCV being the best.

Off property we've stayed at the Howard Johnson and would totally stay there again. We also stayed at the Anaheim Garden Inn and I wouldn't recommend it. My friend loves the Fairfield Inn.

Hi, I think I missed where you decided to stay? The Portofino? Or did you change your mind?

Im so depressed, I'm just sitting on the couch this evening trying to work on some travel plans because I can't sleep. I turn another year older in 22 minutes and I'm not handling it well,(( just like every other year on my Birthday)). So maybe dreaming of Disney will help ease the pain. :confused3 Reminds me of the day I turned 21.... I was at Disney Studios and "legally" had my first alocholic beverage... Was one of the best days EVER!!! Sure wish I could celebrate my brithday every year at Disney. Would completely ease the pain!!:thumbsup2

What darling kiddos! :cutie:

Fremont St. in Vegas is so boring for little kids. You'd be better off on the Strip. My kids really disliked the Fremont area. Monte Carlo is usually fairly priced. MGM is also fun with the lions and close to the M n M store which my kids love. The Mirage has the big fish tanks and those are neat too. Circus Circus is cheap but worn and dirty. Excalibur is another decent option but it's a big place.

As far as your hotel choices for Disneyland, I haven't stayed at any of them so I can't comment. I've stayed at all 3 on property hotels with the GCV being the best.

Off property we've stayed at the Howard Johnson and would totally stay there again. We also stayed at the Anaheim Garden Inn and I wouldn't recommend it. My friend loves the Fairfield Inn.

Thank you!! I think they're pretty darling too. ;)

Yeah, I think I'm going to keep away from Fremont Street. Circus, Circus is a great place to spend the day with the kids, but I would NEVER stay there. Aside from the adventuredome it's pretty yucky.
We stayed at Excalibur one year and it was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had, will definitely never stay there again.

Thanks for all your advice! :thumbsup2
Hi, I think I missed where you decided to stay? The Portofino? Or did you change your mind?
Haven't said yet. :rolleyes1 I share when I get to that portion of my PTR. Stay tuned and THANKS for reading. ;)

I love the plans so far!!

A lot of great information about your first day of travel and stops! I really wish my parenst had ever surprised us with a vacation when I was younger. I'll have to make a memo to myself to do it someday when I have a family of my own, lol.
I'm so EXCITED to see how it all unfolds. She's going to think we're the coolest parents EVER!!! :woohoo:

Speaking of I-70 hope the road stays clear for you.

Really like the overview of what you will see along the way.

Is Idaho Springs the town of the 'Downhill Racer"? One of the original ski movies.

Speaking of I-70 hope the road stays clear for you.

Really like the overview of what you will see along the way.

Is Idaho Springs the town of the 'Downhill Racer"? One of the original ski movies.

Thank you, I hope it does too... Vail Pass is the scary part. Hopefully it will be dry. The drive is pretty beatiful though. Driving through the rocky mountains any time of year is pretty wonderful. Especially when the aspens are turning in the Fall.

And Yes, Idaho Springs is the town of the Downhill Racer. Don't know if it was actually filmed there or not? Probably parts of it. They don't have a ski resort there.

To Celebrate my birthday today I'm going out to a movie and dinner with my friends and husband Can't wait! :woohoo: But my BFF took me to see the new Cars movie yesterday.. It was good, but not as great as the first one. I sure love the uplifting message about friends though. My BFF and I have been friends for 21 years now and it's hard for us to get together as often as we like, espcially with having children. Funny how a disney movie puts so many things in perspective. ;) If you haven't seen it yet, i suggest it. Was super cute!

Anyway, I thought I would post some more Disney Pictures for you. Here's some fun Character pictures from our last Disney trip that we took with my DSIL and her family. It was the first time Reya wasn't terrified of the characters.

Florida051-1.jpg

Florida007-1.jpg

Florida014-3.jpg

Florida104.jpg

Florida095-1.jpg

Aw man, how I wish we could ge photos with Jiminy Cricket here at Disneyland!! Great pictures. ;)

How fun springing Reya from school will be with that surprise!!! I'd love to do a surprise trip, but don't think I can keep my big mouth shut. :rotfl: My husband doesn't want to talk trip planning until it's about a week away so I blab to the kids about it. :rotfl:

That indoor pool at Glenwood Springs looks AMAZING!! My gosh, how gorgeous!

Wow, Glenwood Springs looks awesome! Its really nice to have some neat stops on your way to DL.

Nice how your nieces seem to really love taking care of your kids.

Aw man, how I wish we could ge photos with Jiminy Cricket here at Disneyland!! Great pictures. ;)

This is actually one of the only Characters Hubby and I got photos with in WDW besides our character meals!

We found Jiminy and Rafiki at Conservation Station in Animal Kingdom.

I guess I didn't realize he was never out at DL. I just thought I never saw him!

I'm in for the ride! (I thought I had subscribed to a TR of yours in the past but can't find it now?!)

I know... And I LOVE that picture, I have it hanging up in my living room. Can't believe how little my baby boy was.

How fun springing Reya from school will be with that surprise!!! I'd love to do a surprise trip, but don't think I can keep my big mouth shut. :rotfl: My husband doesn't want to talk trip planning until it's about a week away so I blab to the kids about it. :rotfl:

That indoor pool at Glenwood Springs looks AMAZING!! My gosh, how gorgeous!
LOL. My husband and I have to talk in code if we're around my daughter and discussing something about our trip. She is CLUELESS!! I LOVE it!! I'm so excited seeing her reaction to everything. It is hard keeping a secret from her, but it will be worth it in the end.

OMG!! I have never seen Jiminy Cricket before.
That picture was taken at WDW

Wow, Glenwood Springs looks awesome! Its really nice to have some neat stops on your way to DL.

Nice how your nieces seem to really love taking care of your kids.
We're not ones to drive straight thru when we take a road trip. We really like to enjoy ourselves and relax along the way. When we drive back home however, that's a different story. We'll stop at hotels for the night, but after we leave Disney we just want to get home.
This is actually one of the only Characters Hubby and I got photos with in WDW besides our character meals!

We found Jiminy and Rafiki at Conservation Station in Animal Kingdom.

I guess I didn't realize he was never out at DL. I just thought I never saw him!

I'm in for the ride! (I thought I had subscribed to a TR of yours in the past but can't find it now?!)
You probably have. I've done several PTR's and TR's in the past. I'm glad to have to back. ;)
That picture of Jiminy was taken at Conservation station. Just thought it would be fun to share pictures of our past "disney" vacations . Both DLR and WDW. Should probably label where each picture was taken.

Well I somehow missed you had started another PTR!! Glad to see that you're finally getting another trip in!! The girls are getting so big & will be so excited to be going back to Disneyland!! :cool1:

I always should put my money towards other things, but like you said, seeing your children laughing & smiling makes it worth every penny!! We never had the money to take the older boys to Disneyland when they were younger & I still feel horrible for that.....but now we've made it something we work towards each year! Luckily our tax returns have helped immensely with that.

Will be looking forward to seeing this all come together for you!!

Well I somehow missed you had started another PTR!! Glad to see that you're finally getting another trip in!! The girls are getting so big & will be so excited to be going back to Disneyland!! :cool1:

I always should put my money towards other things, but like you said, seeing your children laughing & smiling makes it worth every penny!! We never had the money to take the older boys to Disneyland when they were younger & I still feel horrible for that.....but now we've made it something we work towards each year! Luckily our tax returns have helped immensely with that.

Will be looking forward to seeing this all come together for you!!
Glad you found me. :yay: My husband and I were having a wonderful conversation last night. I mentioned to him that I don't remember much about my childhood, and what I do remember isn't all that great. But one thing I do know is we never really traveled. The only trip I know of is to Yellowstone when I was in elementary school. I am so happy and thrilled knowing that my children will have many, many, many happy, beautiful, memories of our time together. I've always made it a point that my kids would have a better life then I did and that I would do everything in my power to make sure of that. Enjoying each other and having fun together is priceless. We have to be frugal and watch our money so we can plan our vacations, but it's worth it in the end. It always made me upset when people told me I was silly for taking my kids to Disney when they were so young, it was always said that they will never remember it, so why do it??...... But I think their wrong, and even if they don't remember... I'll have those memories and that's just has important.:flower3:

Glad you found me. :yay: My husband and I were having a wonderful conversation last night. I mentioned to him that I don't remember much about my childhood, and what I do remember isn't all that great. But one thing I do know is we never really traveled. The only trip I know of is to Yellowstone when I was in elementary school. I am so happy and thrilled knowing that my children will have many, many, many happy, beautiful, memories of our time together. I've always made it a point that my kids would have a better life then I did and that I would do everything in my power to make sure of that. Enjoying each other and having fun together is priceless. We have to be frugal and watch our money so we can plan our vacations, but it's worth it in the end. It always made me upset when people told me I was silly for taking my kids to Disney when they were so young, it was always said that they will never remember it, so why do it??...... But I think their wrong, and even if they don't remember... I'll have those memories and that's just has important.:flower3:

Addy's first trip was when she was 2 1/2yrs & we didn't go back for a year & she talked about that trip like it was yesterday. Now she's 6 & she still remembers stuff from every trip since. So they may not remember everything.....but something from each trip has placed itself in their memories!! Totally worth it!!!

I've always made it a point that my kids would have a better life then I did and that I would do everything in my power to make sure of that. Enjoying each other and having fun together is priceless. We have to be frugal and watch our money so we can plan our vacations, but it's worth it in the end. It always made me upset when people told me I was silly for taking my kids to Disney when they were so young, it was always said that they will never remember it, so why do it??...... But I think their wrong, and even if they don't remember... I'll have those memories and that's just has important.

I am so with you. The motto in my house is "people before things". Its the time together that is the most important thing. My girls and I were just talking about the trips we took when they were little yesterday at Disneyland (yay!) and while they don't remember the trips from when they were really young I will never forget seeing the magic through their little eyes. If I had waited until I was sure that they would remember some of that "magic" would have been lost. My girls are 11 and 14 and while Disney is still very magical to them, there is something about a toddler or a preschooler looking at Cinderella and really believing with all their being that it really is the princess or that Mickey really is a giant mouse. The memories we made last week at the parks are no less precious then the ones from when they were little - just different. So to anyone who tells you it was a wasted trip because they won't remember well then pooh on them - you will never forget the look in their eyes as they "bought into" the magic 100%. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter