The Boardwalk Inn Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonLlama

DIS Veteran
The Boardwalk Inn: Information Station

I hope it's OK to post all this. There seems to be an interest in the Boardwalk, but very little centralized information, so I've tried to compile some stuff and I hope it's helpful.

This is a thread devoted to the BWI, not to be confused to the BWV (the Villas) which is a DVC resort, although they do accept cash reservations and you can also rent points to stay at the BWV from a DVC person.

But here, I'm trying to compile all the information I can on the Inn side of the Boardwalk. There are spots where I ask some questions, and there are plenty of holes to fill in, which I hope to do as we go. Any and all info is greatly appreciated and I will try to update the information below as more becomes available!

There are a few places where I cut and paste info from posts about the BWI for myself as quotes, but I do not have the DIS posters' names, so I have only put these sentences or phrases in quotations. If you see your quote and would like your name added to it, please let me know.

(I've never been to the BWI, so bear with me if something needs correcting. Our first visit to BWI, and second to WDW, is this December.)

General Information:

The Boardwalk Inn is themed as a Turn-of-the Century Atlantic Seaside Resort with its twinkling lights that trim the buildings, turrets, flags, and awnings.

From WDWIG: " The lobby has beautiful furnishings, whimsical carousel rugs, interesting models of roller coasters and carousels, and music that will take you back to the Great Gatsby era. The window seats along the hall of the lobby are inviting conversation areas. The chandeliers and hard wood floors add an air of elegance to this lively, fun at heart resort."

Built in 1996, it is the smallest of the deluxe resorts with less than 400 rooms. The DIS lists the number of rooms at 378, the Unofficial Guide at 375, Birnbaums at 372, so I don't really know the exact count!

There is a porch with rocking chairs on which to relax.

It is on the 3/4 mile loop encircling Crescent Lake, which is also the route to the International Gateway into World Showcase at Epcot.

The phone number is 407-939-5100. The fax number is 407-939-5150.

Character Caravan runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at Disney's Boardwalk Resort in the Main Lobby 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. & 9:00 - 9:30 a.m.

Valet parking is $6, including resort guests.

Specific Room View
From vicb: We stayed in room 5269. We had 2 queen beds and the small day bed. It was close to the elevators and had a side view of the BW. Our regular sized balcony (2 chairs and 1 table) faced the rose garden/walkway area between the BWI and BWV. We could see the BW from the boat launch around to the end of the BW by the S/D. I hope that makes sense. It was priced as a BW view. The noise from the boat launch or BW did not bother us. The doors are quite soundproof.

from Desnik: We were in room 3304. We had 2 queen beds a day bed and a full size balcony. This is considered a standard view room. From our balcony looking down we had a view of the Garden Suites and a beautiful courtyard. When we looked straight out we could see a perfect view of the Eifel Tower, and the top of Spaceship Earth with Mickey's hand. We could hear the music from ToD and Illuminations and could also see the fireworks.

from DISNEYDADINOREGON: We were in room 3320 on 7/9-16. We were directly above the garden suites with a veiw of the quiet pool and a view of France and Morraco. Could see Illuminations and hear the music from the parade. I asked at check in for a upgrade and she gave us this 3rd floor pool view. On thge 3rd floor the even numbers are garden/pool and odd numbers are boardwalk.

from froglady: We stayed in room 5274.We had a view of the garden suites...also were able to see SE & Illuminations. (very relaxing to sit on the balcony sipping wine and watching) I speculated (by counting balconies and looking at room numbers while walking down the hall inside)) that any number between 5272 & 5284 would have a similar view. We also had a great chamber maid...lots of "animals" and she played games with my son's stuffed animals. (hiding them on the daybed, in the shower, etc). We had 2 queen & a daybed.

BonnieP: (standard room) We had room #5272 during our stay 8/98 and had a view of the fireworks.

Room Information:

The Boardwalk Inn underwent a interior refurbishment that was completed early in 2002. Worn carpets, linens, etc. have been replaced.

Rooms, according to the Unofficial Guide, are 422 square feet in size, (the DIS lists them as 380 square feet??) with cherry wood furniture, brass beds (either two queens or one king) and a daybed that can accommodate children up to 50 inches tall.

LynetteB reports the normal concierge room is 434 sq ft and the concierge deluxe room (with a sofa bed) is 644 sq ft.

The rooms are decorated in blue and yellow gingham wallpaper, blue postcard printed curtains, and soft greens.

There is a table and chairs, two queens or one king size bed, a daybed, a dresser, and an armoire (housing the television).

TigrLvsPooh reports, "our king room at the BWI did not have a daybed."

There are ceiling fans in the rooms.

There is more closet space in the rooms than in other deluxes. The dresser has six drawers and there are more drawers under the entertainment center/armoire. From Desnik: "In the room, the closet was equipped with a small wall safe and a pack and play as well as extra pillows and blanket."

The vanity area, with two marble sinks, is outside the toilet/tub area with a full-length mirror.

There is free newspaper delivery.

Iron, ironing board, and hair-dryers are in the room.

Coffee pots can be requested from housekeeping (thanks Desnik!)

There are elevators both in the lobby and on the Boardwalk to access the hotel rooms. Some guests have reported that the walk to the far ends of the hotel from the elevators is a bit long, and some have requested rooms closer to the elevators.

Most rooms have balconies, although they vary in size from two-person couple balconies to larger full-size balconies. The larger ones are equipped with table and chairs.

Standard view rooms can overlook the front of the Resort or the inner courtyards and quiet pool areas. Some of these rooms will have Epcot within sight and can see the tops of Illuminations at night.

Water view rooms tend to overlook the Boardwalk itself, and across the lake at the Yacht and Beach Club area.

The Concierge level is on the fourth floor, with both rooms and suites available.

Concierge lounge is "beautiful, big and sunny" (from one DIS poster), Helpful staff. More info on this at the WDWIG link.

Laundry rooms -- reportedly near the elevator on each floor, near the ice and vending machines. From vicb: "The BWI coin laundry is on the third floor and cost me about $8 to do one load of jeans and sweatshirts. There is a TV in the laundry room."

Valet Service Cleaning is also available.

Arcade: Side Show Games -- "I believe the small BWI/BWV arcade was right next to Muscles Health Club, near the Harbor Club" (vicb).
There is also a larger arcade at ESPN Club. From Desnik, "If you exit the lobby using the stairs down to the BW, turn left and the arcade is there and that is also the way to the themed pool area. "

Garden suites are 2-story accommodations with a white picket-fenced enclosure. These sleep four, with a living room on the first floor and a king-size bed in the upper loft as well as a Jacuzzi tub. Lots of info on these suites on the WDWIG link below.

Babysitting/Childcare Services: Disney's Harbor Club for kids ages 4-12 runs from 4 p.m. to midnight. From Desnik, "The harbor club charges $8 per hour. If you exit the lobby on the BW side, take the stairs and at the bottom to your immediate left is where the Harbor Club is located."
JenD posted on another BW thread: "When we went last September, it was $8.00 and hour and that included dinner (you ordered from your child from a menu before you leave-- the usual offerings: chicken strips, pb/j, etc.). DD liked it a lot. It isn't as big as Neverland Club, but there are plenty of activities and actually, it's sort of nice that it is a little more intimate than NC."
(Editor's note: NC is Neverland Club at the Poly)

Refrigerators are available for rental, $10 a day. Pagers are also available for rental -- anyone know the cost??

"There is an ATM in the lobby as well as a mail box(on the wall). " (Desnik)

Getting Around/Finding the Elevators:

"You do not need to take the stairs to get up to the floors from the boardwalk. You just need to know where the elevators are! Both BWI and BWV have elevators that are on the Boardwalk level."

"You don't have to walk around the building to enter when coming back from MGM. You can access any stairway with your room key."

"There is an elevator on the boardwalk level just behind the Flying Fish."

Eating on the Boardwalk

With so many restaurants in the World Showcase only minutes away, as well as those in the nearby hotels, dining choices are plentiful.

Within the hotel on the second floor is the Belle Vue Room, which has old-timey tunes played on antique radios, board games for play, and appetizers and drinks are available.

Leaping Horse Libations: carousel-themed pool bar with drinks, ice-cream, hot-dogs, fruit, salads, and tuna salad sandwiches.

On the Boardwalk proper:

Spoodles: Mediterranean specialties, breakfast buffet, and "Spoodles also hase a "to Go" window where you can order pizza pies or by the slice, calzones and delicious meatball sandwiches, drinks. This window is also open pretty late, I believe 11pm" (Desnik) .

The Flying Fish: The most up-scale menu (and prices), seafood specialty, steaks, and the chocolate lava cake gets rave reviews.

ESPN Club: Burgers, sandwiches, salads and every game available shows on the 80 monitors.

Big River Brewing Company: Pub favorites, 5 homemade brews
"There are tables and chairs outside to eat. If your eating at the BRGBC outside, you can watch the fireworks and it is a very good view" (Desnik).

Boardwalk Bakery: Fresh baked goods for breakfast and snacks -- try the Tiramisu

Seashore Sweets: Candy, ice-cream, salt-water taffy, frozen yogurt

Carts along the Boardwalk offers all kinds of tasty treats such as gyros, hot dogs, crepes on a stick, and popcorn.

Most of the above are open late.

Nightly Entertainment and Lounges

Atlantic Dance Hall: elegant waterfront club and dance hall. Must be 18 to enter, $5 cover

Jellyrolls: Dueling pianos, casual atmosphere, Must be 18 to enter, $5 cover after dark.

Depending on the season, reports of roving acts including: Jugglers. Musicians, Magicians, Flame Throwers/Swallowers, and Cowgirl Rope Tricksters begin their acts in the evening. Kids are often asked to be "assistants".

There is a face painting booth and a place to get your hair wrapped.

The best area to view Illuminations from the Boardwalk is on the bridge over the canal at the end of the Boardwalk (nearest Epcot). These can be viewed from anywhere around Crescent Lake except right near the Boardwalk buildings on the north end (the Inn blocks the view).

The balcony off the lobby offers a distant view of the MK fireworks.

"Fri., Sat. and Sun nights more busy on Boardwalk but the entertainers seemed to end by 10:30-11. Some nights we could hear music from Atlantic Dance Hall but not annoying. The friendship boats toot coming in but again did not bother any of us. The doors to balcony surprisingly sound proof. "

Shopping and Day Time Fun

Surrey bike rentals

Ferris W. Eahlers Community Hall offers all kinds of rentals: books, videos, croquet, shuffleboard, table tennis, pole fishing, badminton, bikes, and fishing excursions.

Two lighted soft-surface tennis courts

Health Club: Muscles and Bustles offers steam rooms, tanning, Cybex machines, circuit training equip. and massages (by appointment).

Boats available for rent from Yacht Club

Face painting

Hair wrapping

Touring the other 4 deluxe hotels around Crescent Lake (Beach Club, Yacht Club, The Swan and The Dolphin.

Dundy's Sundries (lobby) has basics

Character Carnival: Kids clothing and character items

Screen Door: groceries, dry goods, snacks, beverages

Thimbles and Threads: clothing for men and women

Wyland Galleries: Marine and Environmental Art

Swimming

Carnival Themed Luna Park is a large pool area, shared by BWI and BWV, and offers the Keister Coaster, a wooden roller coaster looking water slide with a clown face at the opening of the slide. There are squirting elephants that are showers and sprinkle the kiddie pool, plus a small playground nearby.

Quote from a DIS poster: "The slide goes into deep water, and your kids will not be allowed to use it if they can't swim. It's a very long slide that at times goes through darkness. There is a short slide there that goes into shallow water, perfect for younger kids."

"Lifeguards at pool very friendly, remembered kids names each day and organized water balloon toss etc..."

"The Luna Park pool is great for kids... total kid themed! The pool is large enough to not feel overcrowded (like the old Poly pool) but self-contained enough that you can easily keep you eye on your children. Your older child may love the Keister Coaster slide. Both will like the spraying elephants. The tile work is very colorful. There is a kiddie pool and play area off to one side. The lifeguards were very friendly, even learning names of my kids and greeting them by name each day! There were some organized activities like water balloon toss. The poolside bar is kid friendly with its juice boxes, snacks and kid meals."

There are two heated Quiet Pool and Hot Tubs areas.

Refillable Mug Program:

The Boardwalk mugs are red handled with Donald and Daisy Duck and the name of the resort on them -- $9.99

Refillable Mugs can be filled at:
Boardwalk Bakery
Joe's Coffee Cart (free refills include coffee)
Spoodles Pizza window
Seashore Sweets
Leaping Libations
Belle Vue Lounge

Transportation:
Buses run about every 5-10 minutes to AK, MK.

Bus service also to the water parks and Downtown Disney (anyone know the frequency?)

Walk to Epcot -- approx. 5-10 minutes

Walk to MGM -- approx. 10-15 minutes

No bus service to MGM or Epcot -- boats are available if you do not want to walk. These launch every 20 minutes.

The boat makes 4 stops on its way to MGM.

"Avoid going through Epcot to take the monorail to MK unless you are already in Epcot for part of the day. You have to walk all the way from the International Gateway through Future World and out the main entrance. It's a hike . . . . [It's] quicker to take the bus to Mk, then walk through Epcot to the monorail! (unless you are already in Epcot, and want to go to MK)"

Some sites with pictures and overviews of BWI:
The DIS page on BWI:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/boards.htm

For my general FAQ you need to go to:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_bw.htm

For Photo Links:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_bwi.htm

For Photo Slide Show:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bwiss.htm

Laughing Place Page and photos
http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/rescc/costcalc.asp?pageFunction=researcher&resId=BWI&submit1=go!

I too have been very confused about the room sizes!! We are staying in the concierge deluxe room in August and were unsure how much bigger they were. I contacted the BWI and they faxed me two room plans: the normal concierge room is 434 sq ft and the concierge deluxe room (with a sofa bed) is 644 sq ft. Hope this helps someone else and thanks for starting the thread!

There are no coffee pots in the standard rooms, you have to request it from housekeeping. There is a fee for valet parking for everyone, including resort guests, I think it is $6. Spoodles also hase a "to Go" window where you can order pizza pies or by the slice, calzones and delicious meatball sandwiches, drinks. This window is also open pretty late, I believe 11pm. There are tables and chairs outside to eat. If your eating at the BRGBC outside, you can watch the fireworks and it is a very good view. The arcade is located on the BW. If you exit the lobby using the stairs down to the BW, turn left and the arcade is there and that is also the way to the themed pool area. In the room, the closet was equipped with a small wall safe and a pack and play as well as extra pillows and blanket. I believe laundry rooms were on every floor next to the elevators as well as ice and vending machines. There is an ATM in the lobby as well as a mail box(on the wall). The harbor club charges $8 per hour. If you exit the lobby on the BW side, take the stairs and at the bottom to your immediate left is where the Harbor Club is located.
We really enjoyed our stay here this past May and I know I would have loved a thread like this then!! Great job DemonLlama and if I remember anything else I'll post. Hope this helped you.;)

Thank you Desnik!

I"m so glad someone who has actually been there can give us some insight -- not-so-free valet parking, for example!

Thanks for all the details!!

DemonLlama, WOW! That must have taken a lot of effort to put all that info in one post.... nice job.:)

I think I recognized a few of my own observations on BWI.;)

The BWI coin laundry is on the third floor and cost me about $8 to do one load of jeans and sweatshirts. There is a TV in the laundry room.

I believe the small BWI/BWV arcade was right next to Muscles Health Club, near the Harbor Club.

We loved the BWI and plan to return next trip.

Yikes! With all the code-craze going on today we've sunk to the fourth page in one day!

Anyone stay at the Boardwalk want to share some info . . .PLEASE?:sunny:

If you've stayed at the Boardwalk, would you mind posting your room number, type of room, and view/what you could see?

There seem to be a lot of requests for this information, and I'll try and compile them if we get a good number.

Thank you!

:sunny:

Two things:

1. Can we get this thread permanently moved to the top of the board with the other resort FAQ threads? Then it would be easier for people to find.

2. We stayed in room 5269. We had 2 queen beds and the small day bed. It was close to the elevators and had a side view of the BW. Our regular sized balcony (2 chairs and 1 table) faced the rose garden/walkway area between the BWI and BWV. We could see the BW from the boat launch around to the end of the BW by the S/D. I hope that makes sense. It was priced as a BW view. The noise from the boat launch or BW did not bother us. THe doors are quite soundproof.

Just wanted to add that our king room at the BWI did not have a daybed. I guess some do and some don't. :D

We were in room 3304. We had 2 queen beds a day bed and a full size balcony. This is considered a standard view room. From our balcony looking down we had a view of the Garden Suites and a beautiful courtyard. When we looked straight out we could see a perfect view of the Eifel Tower, and the top of Spaceship Earth with Mickey's hand. We could hear the music from ToD and Illuminations and could also see the fireworks.

We were in room 3320 on 7/9-16. We were directly above the garden suites with a veiw of the quiet pool and a view of France and Morraco. Could see Illuminations and hear the music from the parade. I asked at check in for a upgrade and she gave us this 3rd floor pool view. On thge 3rd floor the even numbers are garden/pool and odd numbers are boardwalk. FYI.

We stayed in room 5274.We had a view of the garden suites...also were able to see SE & Illuminations. (very relaxing to sit on the balcony sipping wine and watching) I speculated (by counting balconies and looking at room numbers while walking down the hall inside)) that any number between 5272 & 5284 would have a similar view. We also had a great chamber maid...lots of "animals" and she played games with my son's stuffed animals. (hiding them on the daybed, in the shower, etc)
We had 2 queen & a daybed.

Hello!
Any specific room numbers with balconies facing the boardwalk... I know that's considered a waterview.
My DH and I will be staying there the end of August, standard view reserved. We had room #5272 during our stay 8/98 and had a view of the fireworks, but was thinking of the boardwalk side this time.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Bonnie

BonnieP: I've updated the original post with all the reports of views so far, and I'm hoping we'll find some more folks with info on their room's view.:D

DemonLlama,
Thanks for ALL the information! I'm gathering room numbers. I tend to be a compulsive planner, especially now that we are one month away (today as a matter of fact)!

Any room numbers facing the boardwalk?

Hope this thread gets moved to the top with the other resort FAQ...

Bonnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter