• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Books Thread!

Keels

The Official Keels of RunDisney
I know it was brought up previously on The Running Thread, but I thought I'd start a separate thread for book reviews and recommendations, or questions about endurance sport-related books!

So - what's everyone reading? Post a picture of the cover of the book if you can, so we have all the pertinent information.

How Bad Do You Want It?
image.png

The theory behind this book is that you can be your OWN sports psychologist, and it blends psychology ideals (science!) with true-life and first-person stories of successes and failures - and what happens before and after.

It's a page-turner, mostly because I become invested in these athletes and want to see how things play out for them. Every chapter is a different story - some hit the highest highs of triumph, and some the lowest of lows.

I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for inspiration, motivation or to put a human spin on number-based training material they're reading.

Hansons Half Marathon Method (or Marathon if you're so inclined)
513IHZ0ut-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Great training plan with explanation of why each part is important. Also delves into nutrition, gear, etc. Higher mileage though, with expectation that you can commit to running 6 days a week.

Good idea @Keels. I will be Interested to hear about good Triathlon training books and websites/forums to read even more.

"Marathoning for Mortals" is alright, but I'm partial to Hal Hidgon's "Marathon." I just like his training plans. Those are the only two books I've read so far about running.

"Marathoning for Mortals" is alright, but I'm partial to Hal Hidgon's "Marathon." I just like his training plans. Those are the only two books I've read so far about running.

Higdon's "Marathon" was what got me reading books on running. I sent my copy to a friend, but it's one of those books that I think EVERYONE should read, especially as a first-time Marathoner!

Well, it's not specific to running, but we've been working on using a ketogenic diet for performance. My husband especially has had good luck with it although we've been a bit hit and miss with it of late, but trying to get back on the ketogenic wagon...

image_zpsgfkcdgi7.jpeg

@Keels that's what I'm reading too, I found the stories really inspiring, and motivating, it's good to know that even World Class athletes struggle with the mental aspects of running. I'm also just a big fan of Matt Fitzgerald. His The New Rules of Half-Marathon (Marathon) Nutrition is fantastic, detailed and easily applied information for fueling your runs and races.

Higdon's "Marathon" was what got me reading books on running. I sent my copy to a friend, but it's one of those books that I think EVERYONE should read, especially as a first-time Marathoner!
My copy is actually the second one I've purchased. I let my sister borrow my first copy and she never gave it back!

Definitely books I want to read. That being said, my favorite running book is a bit less serious but it speaks to me because I run for many of the same reasons.
51AlEUytcdL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hansons Half Marathon Method (or Marathon if you're so inclined)
513IHZ0ut-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Great training plan with explanation of why each part is important. Also delves into nutrition, gear, etc. Higher mileage though, with expectation that you can commit to running 6 days a week.

Just finished with the MARATHON METHOD book. Did the Hanson's plan many year's ago without the book by just using the plan from RW so am happy to have better understanding of the components. A bit different than Pfitz or Hudson and much better written than those books.

Looking forward to using Hansons plan this year and have already copied the Advanced Program and marked it up.

Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training - It explains his training programs and the different terms used.
9781492517245_p0_v1_s192x300.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter