The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I'm from North-Central Jersey where we have the Papermill Playhouse about 15 minutes away. I'm a season subscriber, so I see shows there more often than I do in the city. Recently I saw Can-Can, which I can tell ya'll right now is going to do fantastic on Broadway.

It seems Papermill is the last train stop before Broadway. It started with Newsies, the Honeymoon in Vegas, and Can Can. I also suspect that Hunchback will also follow.

It seems Papermill is the last train stop before Broadway. It started with Newsies, the Honeymoon in Vegas, and Can Can. I also suspect that Hunchback will also follow.

Papermill is quickly becoming a go to out of town trial place. Unlike La Jolla it is close enough to NYC for Broadway patrons to train over to and give meaningful feedback. They are quickly learning LA and Canadian crowds are not the same as a NYC crowd. Papermill gives a much better idea of how something will do in NYC.

DD 8 loved all three- Wicked, Aladdin and Lion King. YOu can;t go wrong. We sat first rowfront mezzanine for Wicked and Lion King and we sat mid orchestra right (at the aisle) for Aladdin. Aladdin was cute but the others were amazing. I do love the Genie though!

Papermill is quickly becoming a go to out of town trial place. Unlike La Jolla it is close enough to NYC for Broadway patrons to train over to and give meaningful feedback. They are quickly learning LA and Canadian crowds are not the same as a NYC crowd. Papermill gives a much better idea of how something will do in NYC.

Funnily enough, they have also decided that Melbourne audiences are similar to New York's, so we have been lucky enough to get a few way out of town tryouts. Doctor Zhivago will be opening on Broadway soon, with King Kong hopefully to follow. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get Moonshadow, the Cat Stevens musical, as I quite liked it.

I have to agree that PaperMill a stepping stone for a show to Broadway....CanCan was great! And the tickets are very reasonable. We love to go the Carriage House (restaurant attached) before we see a show.

My daughter's high school theatre department goes to all the shows and parents are invited. We saw Honeymoon in Vegas there last season (have lots of photos from it) & got to meet Tony Danza - which made the Moms in the group very happy while the teenagers were laughing at us :lmao:

I've heard that Hunchback & EverAfter are set to go onto Broadway after playing at PaperMill. PaperMill also has a great training programs for high schoolers which many go onto Broadway.

I have to agree that PaperMill a stepping stone for a show to Broadway....CanCan was great! And the tickets are very reasonable. We love to go the Carriage House (restaurant attached) before we see a show. My daughter's high school theatre department goes to all the shows and parents are invited. We saw Honeymoon in Vegas there last season (have lots of photos from it) & got to meet Tony Danza - which made the Moms in the group very happy while the teenagers were laughing at us :lmao: I've heard that Hunchback & EverAfter are set to go onto Broadway after playing at PaperMill. PaperMill also has a great training programs for high schoolers which many go onto Broadway.

What/where is this paper mill place? I have never heard of it.

What/where is this paper mill place? I have never heard of it.

It's in Millburn, NJ. If that's within a reasonable amount of time away from you, I highly recommend paying a visit! The shows are Broadway quality at a cheaper price :-)

I have to agree that PaperMill a stepping stone for a show to Broadway....CanCan was great! And the tickets are very reasonable. We love to go the Carriage House (restaurant attached) before we see a show.

My daughter's high school theatre department goes to all the shows and parents are invited. We saw Honeymoon in Vegas there last season (have lots of photos from it) & got to meet Tony Danza - which made the Moms in the group very happy while the teenagers were laughing at us :lmao:

I've heard that Hunchback & EverAfter are set to go onto Broadway after playing at PaperMill. PaperMill also has a great training programs for high schoolers which many go onto Broadway.

Can-Can was absolutely fantastic. I think it's my favorite production at PMP I've seen yet (even though I'm anxiously counting down until Hunchback). The beginning where the conductor shot the man with the cell phone was brilliant! :rotfl2:

My mother have a little tradition of going to TGI Fridays down by Rt. 22 after our shows conclude. But we think we're going to go to the Carriage House before the next show.

Did you get to meet anyone from Can-Can? I met Kate and Michael. Michael has always been a favorite of mine- his work in Les Mis was fantastic, and he was on a show I used to watch as a child. Really nice guy. But my favorite Papermill experience was after Grease- I got to meet Tommy Bracco (Newsies) and Telly Leung (Glee) and I was really happy.

Hunchback is definitely going to Broadway, but I think they said they were going to wait and see about Ever After? I know Hunchback just had a La Jolla premiere, but Ever After is premiering at PMP and they're not 100% sure how the critics are going to receive it yet. I may be wrong.

The training program at PMP is fantastic. I know a lot of people in the summer conservatory (I go to SDM during the summer, so I can't do the PMP program) and the show choir. They all love it.

What are everybody's thoughts about Pippin closing?

Not surprising, since their grosses have been pretty low since the end of the summer. But it’s too bad, since that production is pretty awesome. Glad I got to see it.

Not surprising, since their grosses have been pretty low since the end of the summer. But it’s too bad, since that production is pretty awesome. Glad I got to see it.

Broadway sales always take a dip in September, I guess Pippin just took the blunt of it this year. And I agree, it looks like a great production. Haven't seen it yet, but planning on doing so soon.

I think Pippin had a very good run. Shows like Wicked and Lion King with mega long runs are rare. Most shows last under 2 years.

Agreed. I'll be surprised if Les Miserables lasts much longer, and I'm giving Matilda another year. I was heartbroken when Newsies closed.

Agreed. I'll be surprised if Les Miserables lasts much longer, and I'm giving Matilda another year. I was heartbroken when Newsies closed.

I liked Matilda much better than Newsies-newsies was just ok for me, it's pretty much at the bottom of my list as far as shows I have seen.

I liked Matilda much better than Newsies-newsies was just ok for me, it's pretty much at the bottom of my list as far as shows I have seen.
GASP! Just kidding, lmao. As you can tell I'm a pretty big fan, but I've heard a lot of people who thought it was just so-so. I think you have to be a big "dance break" fan to really appreciate Newsies. Or just someone who really, really loves cute boys tap dancing. I saw it 8 times before it closed and got to know the cast on a personal level. They were all really sweet guys. I wish I could see the tour.

I also LOVE Matilda. It's my favorite show currently running. The effects especially are fantastic and I love the music. The acts are kind of long though.

What are everybody's thoughts about Pippin closing?

Not surprising. It had a decent run. I'm glad I got to see it in the summer.

It's looks expensive to produce, and the grosses just aren't there anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter