The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I won the Hedwig lottery tonight! :cool1:

I used to be really good at winning the lotteries for these things, but then I won at Wicked in 2004 when there were about 300 people there and I think the theater lottery gods decided that was enough for me for awhile, because I didn’t win one again until I saw Kinky Boots last year, and that was only after they added seats to the lottery three times.

But I won tonight and the show was great. I’ve now seen all 3 Hedwigs (and I have tickets for John Cameron Mitchell’s return next month), and Michael C. Hall was very good. He seemed like the most emotionally broken of the three. His singing voice reminds me a lot of Adam Pascal’s from Rent, and I loved his Origin of Love. He’s huge, too. When he climbed out of the car in the wig dress, I was a little afraid for him in those heels.

His ad-libs were great, even though I can’t repeat most of them here. I also think he’s ruined The Lion King for me for life. Neil made the same joke, but I think there’s a second part now that wasn’t there the first time. :rotfl:

But I love that show! :thumbsup2

So I was inspired by Elphaba to do a mini TR for my first time seeing BoM, which was last night!

My mom and I took the 2:45 train into the city and got there at 3:30. We met up with my aunt and cousin and walked all the way from 32nd to 51st to have dinner at the Stardust Diner before the show!

10898190_792672290805920_4649157939099110196_n.jpg

B7J9h-4IUAE36D0.jpg

Stardust is 100% my favorite restaurant on this earth. If you don't know what it's all about- basically, all of the waiters have some sort of degree in performing arts and are trying to make it on Broadway/TV/Movies. They sing during your dinner and get up on the booths and everyone has a good time. During your meal, they'll pass around a bucket that asks for donations and everything in that bucket gets collected at the end of the week and given to the waiters. The money they collect from that bucket must be used on either a singing lesson, a dancing lesson, or an acting lesson. It really is one of the most fantastic restaurants in NYC and the most unique and fun way to support actors I've ever seen. Anyway, I had a grilled cheese with bacon :)

Then we had about half an hour to kill before the doors to the Eugene O'Neill opened up so we went into Phantom of Broadway. I bought a bag and saw a bunch of beautiful Phantom figurines!

B7KJf7-CQAENUEg.jpg

B7J9h_GIYAAnnWk.jpg

Then it was time to head over to the Eugene!

B7J9iBzIYAARHi8.jpg

I bought a Mormon t-shirt and took my seat.

B7J9iNYIIAIU8Xb.jpg

B7J9nZzIEAAdUpv.jpg

The show itself was FANTASTIC! It's so funny and the music is great. I saw Gavin as Price and while I preferred the singing talents of Andrew and Matt (the only others I've heard audio of), he used a lot of cute and quirky physical comedy techniques that made his character extra adorable. Christopher was a very good Cunningham as well. To me, the stand out performer was Nikki, who played Nabalungi. Her voice and the acting choices she made suited her character extremely well.

The only setback was the location of my seats. Now, on any other day I would be able to see fine (we had orchestra seats that weren't obstructed by the overhang), but I had a couple who was getting really cuddly to each other right in front of me that liked to put their heads together a lot and block basically my entire field of vision for center stage. Then I had a pair of ladies to my right who were very nice, but very drunk and talked throughout the entire show.

Other than that issue, Book of Mormon was a very fun show and I'm so glad to have finally seen it. We got home at 11:30 from the train but luckily, I don't have to go to school today so I was able to sleep in and write this report :)

Next week, I see Wicked and Aladdin for the first time!

I saw Lion King again Saturday afternoon - still an amazing show! My sister had offered to buy my dad & me tickets to any show we wanted to see. Since there were so many I wanted to see, I let him pick. He picked LK since he's seen the commercials on TV and thought it looked great. My sister got us great seats - I was on the aisle so I could have reached out and touched them when they came down the aisle. Dad loved it, too.

It was really cold on Saturday, but not horrible. We walked the 10 blocks up 7th Avenue from Penn Station in about 20 minutes, and since it was so cold, they let us in a little early. I love that theater!

We walked back and stopped in Ben's Deli for a pastrami sandwich dinner. Soooooooooooo good. We loved that too.

Nice afternoon of theater!

I saw Beautiful again a few weeks ago. It was my second time seeing it (I saw it last March) and it was just as great the second time. The first time I saw Jessie Mueller as Carole but this time I saw her understudy, Rebecca LaChance, who was just as fabulous. I guess the day I went was the day they were taping the Kennedy Center Honors and Jessie Mueller was performing. But I love seeing understudies perform in general. They are always so talented!

I also got a major ticket upgrade, too. I bought a standing room only ticket for $37 about 3 hours before the show. I walked into the theater about 15 minutes before the performance started and the usher asked me if I was by myself. I said yes and he says, "There is a woman here with a ticket in the front row of the mezzanine and she prefers to stand, so would you mind switching with her?" Of course I said yes, and ended up sitting dead center in the front row of the mezzanine. For $37. I was astounded.

I also got a major ticket upgrade, too. I bought a standing room only ticket for $37 about 3 hours before the show. I walked into the theater about 15 minutes before the performance started and the usher asked me if I was by myself. I said yes and he says, "There is a woman here with a ticket in the front row of the mezzanine and she prefers to stand, so would you mind switching with her?" Of course I said yes, and ended up sitting dead center in the front row of the mezzanine. For $37. I was astounded.

Hmmm, let me think about that answer for a minute...:rotfl2: Very nice!!!

I would love to see Beautiful.

Hmmm, let me think about that answer for a minute...:rotfl2: Very nice!!!

I would love to see Beautiful.

Right?! :rotfl2: I about passed out when I saw the price on the ticket... $199. I have been seeing shows on Broadway since 1996 (I was 7 when I saw my first show) and the most I have ever paid was (with fees) $137 for Evita - I knew the actress who was the alternate for Eva and so I was more than willing to pay to see her perform. I normally don't pay more than $40 or $50 for a show though.

Right?! :rotfl2: I about passed out when I saw the price on the ticket... $199. I have been seeing shows on Broadway since 1996 (I was 7 when I saw my first show) and the most I have ever paid was (with fees) $137 for Evita - I knew the actress who was the alternate for Eva and so I was more than willing to pay to see her perform. I normally don't pay more than $40 or $50 for a show though.

I wish!! I see everything on tour, so we usually only have 6 or 7 shows, so season tix are pretty much necessary to get decent seats. we have seen a few things on student rush, for $25 or $30, but I have paid much much more. My Cripple tix were high because 2 of them were preferred, but they were worth every penny!

Ellen's Stardust Diner is something every theatre fan should experience once! I personally think it's too crowded and the food is eh, but the atmosphere is a hoot.

We're really excited to see Parade, King & I and On the 20th Century. DD is seeing Cabaret with Emma Stone and Alan Cummings next week.

We are still in Disney (having a ball!) and saw something only a theatre fan would have noticed! Andrew Keenan-Bolger and a few friends were dancing through World Showcase in Epcot singing "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and proceeded to dance up the steps of the Canadian Pavillion!! DH was going to call out "Hey Crutchie!", but figured he'd control himself. Lol.

We are still in Disney (having a ball!) and saw something only a theatre fan would have noticed! Andrew Keenan-Bolger and a few friends were dancing through World Showcase in Epcot singing "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" and proceeded to dance up the steps of the Canadian Pavillion!! DH was going to call out "Hey Crutchie!", but figured he'd control himself. Lol.

I SAW ALL OF HIS POSTS ON INSTAGRAM and I am SO jealous right now!!!

I saw The River with Hugh Jackman today. It’s a very small, very intimate play, and you’re not really sure where it’s going until the end, but I enjoyed it. I think I actually liked it better than the play he did with Daniel Craig a few years back. And Hugh looked gorgeous, as usual. :p

I’m hoping to catch Hedwig this week or next to see Michael C. Hall before he leaves, and I already have tickets to see it with John Cameron Mitchell next month.

Green with envy!!!!! Enjoy!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

So it's not Broadway, but I used to perform all the time as a kid/teen in shows around my community. I haven't done a show in over 8 years since I was a senior in high school because I went away to college, moved back and then worked nights for the past three years. Well now I am working days and finally have time to get involved in theater again and I was just cast in the ensemble of a production of Fiddler on the Roof!

I was one of two for Hodel but I am SO happy for the girl that got the role - she is incredible. I know I will also have some solos in the show and I think I will be playing the dead grandmother in the dream sequence, too! And I gave one of the best auditions I think I have ever given and the creative team (most of whom I have known since I was little) all were so complimentary, and that just makes me feel great about myself and my abilities as a performer.

My daughter is going with her high school theatre program to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. We are so proud to be one of 40 high schools theatre programs that were chosen to go. It's pretty expensive but we've done some fundraising and are about to do a big fundraiser and that's what I need your opinions.

We are going to raffle 2 tickets to a Broadway Show, Price Fixe dinner for 2 at Sardi's and $30 NJTransit card (the total price will be in $500 range). We're hoping to sell them to neighbors/friends/family as well as during the performance of this year's big musical CATS!

Now the BIG question is: which show? I'm leaning towards one of the new ones which will be opening in March/April like Finding Neverland, On the 20th Century, An American in Paris, Honeymoon in Vegas, The King & I or should we go with an old faithful like The Lion King, Wicked, Book of Mormon!

Also, the theatre program director wants to sell the tickets at $10 while the parents are saying more like $15 or $20.....what do y'all think?

Oh, if you haven't guessed we're in Central New Jersey and an hour train ride into Broadway.

ANY AND ALL advice is greatly appreciated. We'll be selling them starting next weekend since the theatre program is hosting a special event on January 24th. So time is of the essence!

My daughter is going with her high school theatre program to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. We are so proud to be one of 40 high schools theatre programs that were chosen to go. It's pretty expensive but we've done some fundraising and are about to do a big fundraiser and that's what I need your opinions. We are going to raffle 2 tickets to a Broadway Show, Price Fixe dinner for 2 at Sardi's and $30 NJTransit card (the total price will be in $500 range). We're hoping to sell them to neighbors/friends/family as well as during the performance of this year's big musical CATS! Now the BIG question is: which show? I'm leaning towards one of the new ones which will be opening in March/April like Finding Neverland, On the 20th Century, An American in Paris, Honeymoon in Vegas, The King & I or should we go with an old faithful like The Lion King, Wicked, Book of Mormon! Also, the theatre program director wants to sell the tickets at $10 while the parents are saying more like $15 or $20.....what do y'all think? Oh, if you haven't guessed we're in Central New Jersey and an hour train ride into Broadway. ANY AND ALL advice is greatly appreciated. We'll be selling them starting next weekend since the theatre program is hosting a special event on January 24th. So time is of the essence!

For a high school fund raiser, I would stick with The King & I, Wicked, Aladdin, or The Lion King. They are a wider audience appeal. Book of Mormon isn't for everyone, and as much as we enjoyed Honeymoon in Vegas, not sure that would be a big enough draw for a fund raiser.

So it's not Broadway, but I used to perform all the time as a kid/teen in shows around my community. I haven't done a show in over 8 years since I was a senior in high school because I went away to college, moved back and then worked nights for the past three years. Well now I am working days and finally have time to get involved in theater again and I was just cast in the ensemble of a production of Fiddler on the Roof! I was one of two for Hodel but I am SO happy for the girl that got the role - she is incredible. I know I will also have some solos in the show and I think I will be playing the dead grandmother in the dream sequence, too! And I gave one of the best auditions I think I have ever given and the creative team (most of whom I have known since I was little) all were so complimentary, and that just makes me feel great about myself and my abilities as a performer.

Congratulations! Fruma Sarah is a hysterical part! My sister stole the show on that role! Have a blast!!

I haven't been around much lately so I don't know if this has already been discussed- Who has seen Newsies? What do you think of all the changes they made?

I haven't been around much lately so I don't know if this has already been discussed- Who has seen Newsies? What do you think of all the changes they made?

Everything about Newsies as a stage musical is perfect. As a vet who saw it 8 times, I could not love a show any more than I do now.

Personally, I enjoyed how they kept Medda as a prominent role in the musical and I like how instead of Denton, they had Katherine. I DON'T really like how they removed Sarah Jacobs but I understand why they had to do it- you can only have so much plot in such a short amount of time. I also LOVE how they gave the iconic "Brooklyn's Here" it's own song! TL;DR- Everything about Newsies on Broadway was perf in my humble opinion :lovestruc

just love musicals, my two favorites are Jersey Boys and Beautiful, outstanding stories and talented artists! Aiming to see Aladdin soon!

I saw Beautiful again a few weeks ago. It was my second time seeing it (I saw it last March) and it was just as great the second time. The first time I saw Jessie Mueller as Carole but this time I saw her understudy, Rebecca LaChance, who was just as fabulous. I guess the day I went was the day they were taping the Kennedy Center Honors and Jessie Mueller was performing. But I love seeing understudies perform in general. They are always so talented!

I'd say you scored!!!

Green with envy!!!!! Enjoy!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thanks! Michael C. Hall was amazing! I won the lottery - the seats were partial view (for $37, I’m not complaining!), but close to the stage, and only 3 rows back from where he did the “car wash”. :yay:

Thanks! Michael C. Hall was amazing! I won the lottery - the seats were partial view (for $37, I’m not complaining!), but close to the stage, and only 3 rows back from where he did the “car wash”. :yay:

Unfortunately I was in the balcony when I saw NPH last August and could not even see the front row so missed the car wash... but I lived it a bit vicariously. My dear friend got the car wash and his partner got the the "glasses wash". He didn't want to clean his lenses but couldn't walk around with NPH spittle in his view... :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter