The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

The movie of the musical Wicked will be split up into two parts, to be released Christmas 2024 and 2025. https://www.theatermania.com/new-yo...l-be-split-into-two-separate-films_93702.html

Does it ever work, artistically/creatively, or is it always a cash grab?
I have been afraid they would ruin it for a long time. Then they casted Ariana, which made me even less interested (even though I LOVE the show, and am seeing it for a 6th time this summer). And now this. No, in my opinion, that just kills it. The show is perfect as is, do they really need to add that much to it?

For all the people really in the know how long do the big stars usually stay in a show? I really want to see Karim Ramiloo in Funny Girl but can’t travel until September.

Popping back in -- this has been my month for shows! Starting with the big one first - we got to see Music Man with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster! I love the Music Man, as well as Hugh and Sutton, and had a great time. Sutton's voice isn't quite right for the songs, but she acted it so well. And Hugh is just Hugh - so charismatic and just doing a bangup job. I feel like the reviews were a bit harsh, but then I had a front row seat for $270, which is crazy bonkers but not $600. There is so much great dancing, but it never seemed to slow or bog the show down -- I really liked it. And since this is fundraising month for BC/EFA, they auctioned off Hugh and Sutton's gloves from the curtain call to raise money, and were selling signed poster cards.

lWp4Luk.jpg
8Q3hkrp.jpg
G8RHSfE.jpg
NGx99UN.jpg

Also got to see Six the Musical and Moulin Rouge back in the beginning of March. Six is a fantastic show - highly recommend it! Funny and very catchy songs. Moulin Rouge I mainly saw because I wanted to see Aaron Tveit, and because I figured the spectacle would be huge. Aaron Tveit was great, and the show was indeed a spectacle -- there were freaking fireworks coming out of the stage at the end of the opening number. The show itself kind of left me cold, but it was definitely a fun spectacle.

I also saw the recent touring production of Oklahoma last month -- I'm really glad I saw it but I have no desire to see it again. Kind of like the posters above -- Oklahoma is actually dealing with some pretty dark stuff, so it was nice to see a production actually grapple with that a bit.

100% agree with both of these!

And on a side note - have you guys heard of the app Mezzanine? I found out about it a few months ago on one of the broadway message boards and fell in love. It's only for ios, but it's basically an app to keep track of the shows and concerts you're seeing. For someone like me, I LOVE being able to keep track and jot down my reviews and even add pictures. It's free and there are no ads (if you want to add pictures, you do have to become a patron, but everything else is free). Figured other theatre peeps might want to check it out: https://www.theaterdiary.com/
We are bringing my DD21 to NYC at the first part of June for a summer internship. May I ask how you scored such great seats? We're buying tickets for shows kind of late so all that's left for our time frame are the $600 seats and that's just not in the cards but I have loved The Music Man forever and Hugh Jackman well....do I really need to say more? We do have tickets for Plaza Suite and Little Shop of Horrors. We are planning to try to rush for Music Man.

I don't post in this thread since I'm a long way from NYC but just wanted to give a quick thanks to everyone who does. Lurking here was quite helpful in a successful trip to take my 13yo to her first (and second) Broadway shows.

Six was every bit as good as the reviews suggest and DD13 was to get a signed Playbill as part of the BC/EFA fundraising effort... something she'd have loved under any circumstances, I'm sure, but that is even more special since it was her first Broadway show. It got a place of pride on her program wall in her bedroom, where she posts all the Playbills and programs from shows we attend. We also saw Paradise Square while we were in town, which was entirely amazing in a very different way, with breathtakingly complex choreography incorporating both Irish and African styles and a beautiful story. She's already asking when we can go back, but for now she's going to have to settle for me renewing her touring season subscription and catching the shows that come to town.

We are bringing my DD21 to NYC at the first part of June for a summer internship. May I ask how you scored such great seats? We're buying tickets for shows kind of late so all that's left for our time frame are the $600 seats and that's just not in the cards but I have loved The Music Man forever and Hugh Jackman well....do I really need to say more? We do have tickets for Plaza Suite and Little Shop of Horrors. We are planning to try to rush for Music Man.
I bought these several months ago right as they opened up tickets for those seats, so no tips really, unfortunately! Definitely check out the Broadway World message boards for tips on how rush goes/when to line up. Otherwise I’d just keep checking Telecharge’s website for possible exchanges/cancellations. Good luck!! It’s a super fun show :)

@trvlgirlmq (lost my multi quote so hopefully this tag works)
Depends. Usually a year for non-stars is about standard, though it will vary based on contracts, previous commitments, etc. I’d say it’s likely Ramin will still be there in September but you could try tweeting at him or the show and asking :)

Has anyone been to see American Buffalo? I would love some recommendations for what seats I should pick. I am going to see the show before it closes next month. I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what seats to buy. I want to be close to the stage and to be able to see as much of the action as possible. I realize it is a theatre in the round and the action is all over the place.

If you're going to RUSH The Music Man get there as early as you can. My daughter who lives in the City (we live in NJ about an hour away) got to the Box Office at 7:30 am on Sunday (Box Office opened at 12 and the 1st person in line had been there since 4:30am) and was the 10th person in line..they only sell 20-30 tickets per show. She got tickets but the person 2 behind her didn't. We sat 3rd row orchestra left, oh and the tickets were $49.

Has anyone been to see American Buffalo? I would love some recommendations for what seats I should pick. I am going to see the show before it closes next month. I have been driving myself nuts trying to figure out what seats to buy. I want to be close to the stage and to be able to see as much of the action as possible. I realize it is a theatre in the round and the action is all over the place.
My family and I saw it about 2 weeks ago. The theater is so small that really any seat would be good. i bought tickets as soon as it was announced and got second row on the side. It was great!

For all the people really in the know how long do the big stars usually stay in a show? I really want to see Karim Ramiloo in Funny Girl but can’t travel until September.
He should still be there. We're going to see it in a couple of weeks. It hasn't gotten great reviews but I love Ramin, I've seen him in Les Miz and Anastasia, he's always great!

B5053A70-9C8E-4427-8EA3-4AC06494DDA8.png

Our seats were AA 223 & 225. We could have touched them and lots of scenes took place right in those chairs!

Figured I’d pop on here as I have a great update!
And no it’s not that I got Into the woods tickets (though I did).
Through my employment and job title I was able to join TDF. These are the wonderful humans who raise money to do autism and sensory friendly shows and other performances.
They give amazing discounted tickets.

I saw company again. $57 a ticket purchased that Wednesday for the Sunday matinee and I was 5th row orchestra house left! It was amazing. If you are a teacher, first responder and various non for profit employees please consider joining TDF. Your dues become tax deductible as does any donation you use. These tickets were absolutely worth it. Not every show is on there, and you might have to keep going back and checking to see if the show you want to see on a certain date has your choice available, but it’s worth it!

:teacher: This is Broadway adjacent and another thing to do in the city this summer: :sunny: 😎 :rockband:

The Lincoln Center plaza has huge expanses of wide open courtyards and walkways between the different buildings. Last summer during some of the worst of COVID, when it was learned that being outdoors is so much safer, especially when in large gatherings, the Lincoln Center organization re-envisioned the usage of those open courtyards & walkways, turning them into outdoor performance spaces.

It was such a success, that Lincoln Center is doing that again this summer with a fresh, new Summer for the City program featuring over 300+ FREE events on 10 outdoor stages :woohoo: running May 14 - Aug 14.

❤️ “This summer, Lincoln Center invites you to experience the healing and rejuvenating power of the arts. Whether it’s rejoicing the night away on the dance floor, reclaiming rituals hindered by the pandemic, or moments for collective remembering, we offer this warm welcome to come together after so much time apart.” –Shanta Thake ❤️

There are different events scheduled every day (and night) geared for the whole family. :grouphug: They have NYC's largest outdoor dance floor with a 10-foot disco ball now open for dancing under the stars.

jfaktjmsosoma453mewh.jpg

There will be many, many free concerts in all music genres, spoken word performances, storytime events for kids, a comedy show, some visual arts interactive programs, and some ritual events celebrating this year's theme: rejoicing, reclaiming & remembering.

fmxvujyzgwkafudtx2fe.jpg

There are some ticketed events depending on the venue and the programming in which one has to reserve tickets in advance.

There are also some indoor events at the Rose Theater, Alice Tully Hall and the (finally reopened) Atrium. :cheer2:
(Some Covid restrictions are enforced for indoor events.)

For OUTDOOR events: "At this time, face coverings and proof of COVID-19 vaccination will not be required for outdoor events; however, face coverings are welcome and we encourage everyone to complete their primary vaccination series and get boosted before attending."

Check the Lincoln Center website for the ever changing calendar of events:
https://www.lincolncenter.org/series/summer-for-the-city/

Last edited:
Both Dear Evan Hansen and Tina announced closings today (DEH Sept 18th and Tina Aug 14th).

Please support live theatre. Watch the Tony's on Sunday. See shows.

If anyone is a teacher or first responder or works for a non profit i highly suggest joining TDF. Your initial donation fee and subsequent dues every year are donations. And they allow for various things to occur including autism friendly performances of shows. And you get tickets for a heavily discounted price. Saw company. $57 a ticket. 5th row orchestra partial view. It was worth it and amazing.

Anyone watching the Tony’s? (Or maybe I’m missing a separate thread?)

Loved Ariana’s opening!

Anyone watching the Tony’s? (Or maybe I’m missing a separate thread?)

Loved Ariana’s opening!

I'm watching. Happy with all of Company's wins, but bitter because Katrina Lenk should have absolutely been nominated and possibly won. She's incredible.

I think Company won Best Revival over The Music Man as an tribute to Stephen Sondheim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter