The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Saw Six for the 3rd time this weekend, such a fun show! Took my 8 year old with another mother daughter group.

So fun! Which leads to the next question, what else should I take her too, on my list is wicked, lion king and she is asking to see Beetlejuice before it closes.

I’ve seen them all and honestly can’t decide, i feel like 6 is such a different type of show and part of the reason she loved it!

Other suggestions? I think she would have enjoyed music man honestly but I’m not paying those prices to go again…
Wicked! Such a great introductory show.

curtain.up.2022.lead.image.970x546.jpg

Curtain Up Broadway Festival, a free event in Times Square with performances, sing-alongs, a block party, and more. Theatre fans in NYC will have opportunities to see some of their favorite Broadway stars and shows perform in the heart of the theatre district (at Duffy Square - where the TKTS booth is and the red stairs/bleacher seats are. W 47th St & Broadway,) throughout the weekend. Schedule below.

The event started today. Here is a portion of the Opening event today. (Someone recorded the first hour and a half!) TONY Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning A Strange Loop cast members John-Andrew Morrison and James Jackson Jr. Performances by Broadway Stars Norm Lewis (The Phantom of the Opera), Brittney Johnson (Wicked) and Kerry Butler (Beetlejuice), under the direction of music director James Sampliner.

Other performances:

Hercules:

The rest of the schedule:

SATURDAY OCTOBER 1

10:30-11:15AM – Ailey’s Revelations dance workshop
Everyone can dance with Ailey! Join the processional through Duffy Square as Ailey’s West African drummers and dancers lead New Yorkers of all ages to the Curtain Up Main Stage, where you’ll learn modified excerpts of Alvin Ailey’s masterwork, Revelations. Participants are asked to wear comfy clothing.

1:00-1:30PM – Playbill: The Game Show LIVE!
Join us in Times Square as Broadway Stars as they take part in the first-ever live Playbill: The Game Show - where theatre’s brightest stars prove how much they know about Broadway! Written by Aaron Fuksa and produced by Roberto Araujo, watch as Broadway participants Julia Murney (Wicked), Nic Rouleau (The Book of Mormon), Shereen Pimentel (West Side Story) test their knowledge of all-things Broadway in a fun and fast-paced game, hosted by Christopher Sieber (Company), with Nicholas Connell on piano.

3:00-3:45PM – Audible Theater presents Jason Gotay on StageJason Gotay takes the stage and sings selections from his Audible Original, Where You’ll Find Me, a musical narrative that honors the strong and dynamic women in his life with musicians Garrett Taylor (keys/music direction), Matt Hinkley (Guitar), Alan Stevens Hewitt (Bass) and Jeremy Yaddaw (drums). Jason’s show coincides with Curtain Up Broadway Festival and is playing at the Minetta Lane Theatre September 30—October 2. The Audible Theater performance, recorded live, will be available to stream on Audible later this year.

5:00-6:30PM – “One Night Only” – A Benefit Concert for The Entertainment Community Fund
Join stage stars and celebrities for a one-night-only celebration of Broadway, benefitting the Entertainment Community Fund. Directed by Bryan Campione and Corey Mach, with musical direction by Joshua Stephen Kartes, the concert will invite audiences in Times Square and online to share in song and celebration; all while raising money to support the Fund’s mission of fostering stabilityand resiliency and providing a safety net for performing arts and entertainment professionals over their lifespan. Hosted by Natalie Joy Johnson (Kinky Boots), special guests include Ann Harada (TV: “SMASH”, Bway: Cinderella), Antwayn Hopper (A Strange Loop), Bobby Conte (Company Revival), Carolee Carmello (1776 Revival), Christine Dwyer (Wicked), Christopher Sieber (Company Revival), Corey Mach (Kinky Boots), Ginna Claire Mason (Wicked), Jarrod Spector (Beautiful – The Carole King Musical), Javier Ignacio (Company Revival), Jay Armstrong Johnson (The Phantom of the Opera), Jelani Remy (The Lion King), Jessica Hendy (Cats), Kelli Barrett (Getting The Band Back Together), Mary Kate Morrissey (Mean Girls), Santino Fontana (Film: “Frozen”, TV: “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”, Bway: Tootsie), TikTok vocal sensation T.3, Jim Hogan (Kimberly Akimbo), Liam Fennecken (U.S. Tour School of Rock), Brendan Jacob Smith (The Simon & Garfunkel Story), with representatives from The Entertainment Community Fund and Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. The “One Night Only” Band includes Kartes, Yayoi Ikawa, Hiroyuki Matsuura, Colin Dean, Andy Buslovich, Rachel Lanskey, Erikka Walsh (Once), Nick Anton, Clyde Daley, Matthew Jermiason, and Amy Griffiths. Background vocalists include Baldwin Wallace graduates Charles Mayhew Miller, Jillian Kates, and Kailey Boyle.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 2

10:30AM-1:00PM - Curtain Up! LIVE from Broadway Concert
Hosted by Amber Ruffin and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Curtain Up! LIVE from Broadway will spotlight marquee talent and showcasing Broadway musicals and plays, marking the culmination of Curtain Up Broadway Festival. This concert will also air live on WABC, and is directed by Sammi Cannold; with music direction by Daryl Waters.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 2

10:30AM-1:00PM - Curtain Up! LIVE from Broadway Concert

Hosted by Amber Ruffin and Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Curtain Up! LIVE from Broadway will spotlight marquee talent and showcasing Broadway musicals and plays, marking the culmination of Curtain Up Broadway Festival. This concert will also air live on WABC, and is directed by Sammi Cannold; with music direction by Daryl Waters.

The Curtain Up! Live show is airing NOW on ABC-7 TV in NYC AND on YouTube! Hopefully the broadcast will remain on YouTube after the show.

Last edited:

My adult son and I arrived in NY on Saturday. We saw Wicked on Sunday and The Music Man tonight. We have seen Wicked before - we love it! We thought The Music Man was wonderful, too. So much fun! How can you not love Hugh Jackman? He was so great and looked like he was having the time of his life.

Lea Michele performing in Funny Girl on GMA this morning:

Saw Funny Girl last night, and even if Lea can’t sell the unattractive part of this role she killed it. Her voice is fabulous, and she can hit all the notes. Rocked it!

I'm new to this thread and I haven't read everything... just the last few pages.

I've seen 3 shows on Broadway this year and have loved them all. I want to see if I can see another before the year is over.

So far, I've seen Wicked for the second time on a bus trip with my GFs, I've seen Aladdin with my next door neighbors in June and last month I saw A Strange Loop with my DD.

What did you think of A Strange Loop? The woman sitting next to me left in the middle of the one act. She said it was too raw for her. I left the show not so sure about what I'd experienced. Some of the jokes and references went over my head as a straight, white woman from a small town. However, after reflecting on it overnight, I have come to see the point of the show and I have empathy for Usher. I can really see why it won the Tony for best musical. It was filled with subtleties that I needed to digest. I'd see it again.

Oh! I am trying to pick a show for 2 weeks from now, any chance you can tell me a bit more?
First of all, it was hysterical! We were belly gut laughing 🤣🤣🤣

It’s about a girl who ages too quickly, and her relationships with her parents, aunt and classmates. An adult woman plays someone who is supposed to only be 16.

To me, Bonnie Milligan steals the show, along with newcomer Justin Cooley.

It’s all PG/PG-13 stuff (just for language) but it should appeal to ages maybe 10 and up, especially musical theatre kids.

That’s all, don’t wanna spoil it too much.

Last edited:
What did you think of A Strange Loop? The woman sitting next to me left in the middle of the one act. She said it was too raw for her. I left the show not so sure about what I'd experienced. Some of the jokes and references went over my head as a straight, white woman from a small town. However, after reflecting on it overnight, I have come to see the point of the show and I have empathy for Usher. I can really see why it won the Tony for best musical. It was filled with subtleties that I needed to digest. I'd see it again.

It was kinda raw for me as well, as a straight black woman from a big urban city, with a gay black bonus son 🥰. Just my husband and I went and I’m kinda glad we didn’t go with him because I think it would have hit too hard. He needs to see it with some friends (he’s 27).

I've seen 3 shows on Broadway this year and have loved them all. I want to see if I can see another before the year is over.

You may want to pick a show that is closing soon. A few are slated to close in Jan & Feb. And probably a few more that haven't announced it yet. They may be waiting to see what their holiday ticket numbers look like. :(

First of all, it was hysterical! We were belly gut laughing 🤣🤣🤣

It’s about a girl who ages too quickly and her parents, aunt and classmates. An adult woman plays someone who is supposed to only be 16.

To me, Bonnie Milligan steals the show, along with newcomer Justin Cooley.

It’s all PG/PG-13 stuff (just for language) but it should appeal to ages maybe 10 and up, especially musical theatre kids.

That’s all, don’t wanna spoil it too much.
Sold!

Thank you!

I know it's been said already, but so sad to see Dame Angela Lansbury had died.. She had an amazing career and will be missed.

Last edited:
1) the dimming of the lights to Angela Lansbury was beautiful

2) G o see A Strange Loop before it closes

3) love understudies

4) Leopoldstat was heavy but also breathtaking. Some career defining performances for sure

Caught Almost Famous last night! A very fun show! I enjoyed it a lot, I hope it does well, it was a pretty packed house last night!

Cameron Crowe was there and apparently is very involved and there almost every day during previews!

I see Kimberly Akimbo tomorrow! Thanks @WDWJDS for the suggestion I will report back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter