The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Season tickets in Charlotte

While, of course anyone can see &Juliet, it's geared to a more younger demographic. So, if you are seeing it with your DD, she may like it. If you and DH go alone, it might not be your cup of tea and you'd prefer to pick something else. It is a "jukebox" musical, meaning all the songs are popular songs out by various musical artists compiled into this musical, as Moulin Rouge is too.

You may want to look over &Juliet's song list to see if these interest you:

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/the...pect-from-max-martin-musical-juliet-in-london

If you haven't seen the movie Moulin Rouge, you may not know the story doesn't have a happy ending. That may be something you want to take into consideration if you'd rather leave the theatre in an upbeat mood.

Last edited:
While, of course anyone can see &Juliet, it's geared to a more younger demographic. So, if you are seeing it with your DD, she may like it. If you and DH go alone, it might not be your cup of tea and you'd prefer to pick something else. It is a "jukebox" musical, meaning all the songs are popular songs out by various musical artists compiled into this musical, as Moulin Rouge is too.

You may want to look over &Juliet's song list to see if these interest you:

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/the...pect-from-max-martin-musical-juliet-in-london

If you haven't seen the movie Moulin Rouge, you may not know the story doesn't have a happy ending. That may be something you want to take into consideration if you'd rather leave the theatre in an upbeat mood.
Thank you. I actually had no idea Moulin Rouge was a "jukebox" musical. I just knew it was very popular and people were very excited to see it on the list this year.

It's my sister and I going and we are both old enough to have adult children. I don't, but I'm old enough

Thank you. I actually had no idea Moulin Rouge was a "jukebox" musical. I just knew it was very popular and people were very excited to see it on the list this year.

It's my sister and I going and we are both old enough to have adult children. I don't, but I'm old enough
I didn't really care for Moulin Rouge the movie for some reason, but I really enjoyed the musical, if that helps LOL.

It was very innovative at the time it came out. It was one of the first musicals/movies (in modern times) which used other musical artists pre-existing music to fit the story. Ewan McGregor singing Elton John's Your Song was very swoon-worthy. 🥰

I just realized I confused you with another Deb. :o At least I got the age range about right. :lmao:

Reactions: Deb
Looking for some thoughts. I need to drop one of the following in order to pick up another show. What would you drop? what would you absolutely keep?

Funny Girl
Company
Moulin Rouge
Mrs Doubtfire
Back to the Future
& Juliet
Also, I think they announced that Funny Girl will close around Labor Day, so this might be your only chance to see it.

I did a double show day on Wednesday!

First we saw Parade and it was as beautifully tragic as the first time I saw it.

Then we went to the museum of broadway, I very much enjoyed this experience and the staff that was working was so nice. Chatting and engaging with the guests. It was rather empty but it made for a great time!

We had dinner and then headed to New York New York, I had such high hopes for this show and to be honest I was very disappointed. I felt there was no chemistry on stage, there was one or two good dance numbers but over all very lacking. I felt the main character Jimmy couldn’t get his accent right, it was always changing and I found it distracting. There were so many plots, which I get is kinda the point but it was very hard to connect with.

I am very easy to please, I rarely walk out of a show and can’t same something positive, so I will say the music was good. I think this was my least favorite thing I saw this season!

Has anyone else seen it has any thoughts?

I did a double show day on Wednesday!

First we saw Parade and it was as beautifully tragic as the first time I saw it.

Then we went to the museum of broadway, I very much enjoyed this experience and the staff that was working was so nice. Chatting and engaging with the guests. It was rather empty but it made for a great time!

We had dinner and then headed to New York New York, I had such high hopes for this show and to be honest I was very disappointed. I felt there was no chemistry on stage, there was one or two good dance numbers but over all very lacking. I felt the main character Jimmy couldn’t get his accent right, it was always changing and I found it distracting. There were so many plots, which I get is kinda the point but it was very hard to connect with.

I am very easy to please, I rarely walk out of a show and can’t same something positive, so I will say the music was good. I think this was my least favorite thing I saw this season!

Has anyone else seen it has any thoughts?
Loved Parade-still haven’t gone to the museum.

While I haven’t seen NYNY the general consensus is A) it’s not that great for many of the reasons listed and unlisted B) How the heck did Ana not get a Tony nomination?!?!?

I genuinely do not want to see it. I also genuinely do not want to see Some Like It Hot (though I would see that over NYNY given the option). And it’s a shame because I really love performances from many in both casts. I am genuinely happy for the nominations they received in multiple categories. But I also just have no desire.

Schucked I’m still very intrigued by. I also need to get myself over to Sweeney and Camelot

Loved Parade-still haven’t gone to the museum.

While I haven’t seen NYNY the general consensus is A) it’s not that great for many of the reasons listed and unlisted B) How the heck did Ana not get a Tony nomination?!?!?

I genuinely do not want to see it. I also genuinely do not want to see Some Like It Hot (though I would see that over NYNY given the option). And it’s a shame because I really love performances from many in both casts. I am genuinely happy for the nominations they received in multiple categories. But I also just have no desire.

Schucked I’m still very intrigued by. I also need to get myself over to Sweeney and Camelot
It’s interesting I always find reviewers to be so much harsher than I am. I rarely read them till after I see a show, but I just read the NYNY ones and well I feel exactly the same!

I did enjoy Some Like it Hot, it’s my kind of show and well I would watch Christian Borle dance and sing daily if I could.

I enjoyed Shucked and I think I may try and catch it one more time, I took my daughter and I didn’t enjoy it as much as if I had gone solo so if I can get an in expensive ticket I may go for round 2.

I don’t see Sweeney will end of June, but a looking forward to that one!

It’s interesting I always find reviewers to be so much harsher than I am. I rarely read them till after I see a show, but I just read the NYNY ones and well I feel exactly the same!

I did enjoy Some Like it Hot, it’s my kind of show and well I would watch Christian Borle dance and sing daily if I could.

I enjoyed Shucked and I think I may try and catch it one more time, I took my daughter and I didn’t enjoy it as much as if I had gone solo so if I can get an in expensive ticket I may go for round 2.

I don’t see Sweeney will end of June, but a looking forward to that one!
Christian Borle is one of my fave actors and one of the most humble and nicest humans I’ve ever met!

I think I would enjoy SLIH more in general because from what I’ve read about and heard about it is that it’s got a more cohesive story (even with the updated book).

I just like that Shucked is different you know? That’s and I love Alex Newell and am genuinely happy for him and Kevin Cahoon to finally get nominated.

Slightly jealous you’re seeing Sweeney lol but I hope you have a fantastic time! I’ll be playing the lotto for that one for a while!

Christian Borle is one of my fave actors and one of the most humble and nicest humans I’ve ever met!

I think I would enjoy SLIH more in general because from what I’ve read about and heard about it is that it’s got a more cohesive story (even with the updated book).

I just like that Shucked is different you know? That’s and I love Alex Newell and am genuinely happy for him and Kevin Cahoon to finally get nominated.

Slightly jealous you’re seeing Sweeney lol but I hope you have a fantastic time! I’ll be playing the lotto for that one for a while!
Totally get that for Shucked! I will say it’s nice to see something new, so many revivals (many fabulous) and remake of movies or other stories, it is nice to see something totally new and different (even if I could see some music man plot points creep in). If you can get a cheap ticket I would def go see it, I think it’s been on TKTS and today tix!

I’m not seeing Sweeney till the end of June! I am very excited about that one!

Ah I almost forgot I also saw Peter Pan goes wrong last week! That was a hoot and a half!

Broadway museum is a fun time! Two shows in one day is also a fun time. I am listening to the Shucked soundtrack right now.
This past Saturday we had dinner at the Broadway Lounge at the top of the Marriott Marquis and then saw Moulin Rouge in can can seats which was amazing. Jojo missed the matinee performance because she was sick but she made it to our performance but had to skip stage door. Here are some pics.
344244033_783591166351607_1467244810315833759_n.jpg344346134_793631235444284_1037432469391757010_n.jpg344347674_780280523394985_7324794057381170815_n.jpg344371364_625526675799508_444598353417520928_n.jpg

Totally get that for Shucked! I will say it’s nice to see something new, so many revivals (many fabulous) and remake of movies or other stories, it is nice to see something totally new and different (even if I could see some music man plot points creep in). If you can get a cheap ticket I would def go see it, I think it’s been on TKTS and today tix!

I’m not seeing Sweeney till the end of June! I am very excited about that one!

Ah I almost forgot I also saw Peter Pan goes wrong last week! That was a hoot and a half!
I need to see Peter Pan Goes Wrong as well!

Love those guys they are hilarious!

And I agree. I have been loving revivals recently because they completely take what we know and reinvent it so well that the performances shine as does the story.

Looking for some thoughts. I need to drop one of the following in order to pick up another show. What would you drop? what would you absolutely keep?

Funny Girl
Company
Moulin Rouge
Mrs Doubtfire
Back to the Future
& Juliet
From what my sister said, drop Company 🤣. She sees around 2-3 Broadway shows a month so I trust her judgment 🙃

Reactions: Deb
Bring a bit of Park Avenue, NYC back home with you!

🌷🌷🌷 🌷🌷 Starting this Friday, May 19 - May 26 is the annual 2O23 Park Avenue Tulip Dig. 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

The Fund for Park Avenue Program, has been beautifying the malls along Park Avenue from 54th Street to 86th Street year around since 1980, with money donated by businesses, buildings and residents who live along the avenue. Each year they plant 70,000 Darwin tulip bulbs in the fall which bloomed in April and into early May. This variety of tulips is capable of re-blooming from year to year - provided the leaves are not cut off after blooming. The nutrients of the leaves go back into the bulb as they dry up and are stored for re-blooming next year. The tulips planted along Park Avenue are a different color each year. The 2023 the tulips are a bright fuschia purple. (Photo below)

Starting May 19th, the public can dig up those tulip bulbs (with leaves attached) and bring them home to replant in the fall. 🌷 🌷 🌷🥰

Click to enlarge:
Tulip1.JPG Tulip2.JPG

You must download the flyer to bring with you in case there is one lone NYPD officer who does not know you can dig up the tulips.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0077/1584/8244/files/FfPA_2023_Tulip_Dig_for_web.pdf?v=1683065664

If you are traveling in by plane, stop at a NYC dollar store to pick up a serving fork for meat to dig up the soil. A fork-like tool is recommended over a shovel. Bring some paper bags, not plastic as the bulbs need air.

Watch this video from a "veteran" tulip digger on how to carefully dig up and preserve the tulips along Park Avenue. Further in the video, see the different Park Avenue tulips he has planted from different years which re-bloom in his garden. 🥰

Last edited:
Hi all

So as you’ve probably heard as of right now the Tony Awards will not be broadcast due to the WGA strike (and rightfully so no picket lines should be crossed and members of other unions are standing in solidarity).

However in a horrible moment of two things can be true, this means that as of right now shows that rely on the broadcast (yes even the limited engagements that end in the summer mere weeks after the ceremony) are in danger of closing due to having no publicity.

Please ask everyone you know who sees a broadway show to promote it every way possible while also mentioning why. It shows solidarity to both the shows and the WGA.

It’s a horrible and complicated situation and I stand by the WGA, but I also recognize the shows need our help too, especially given AEA is about to be the only union not on strike.

Thanks all and keep enjoying love theatre!

Hi all

So as you’ve probably heard as of right now the Tony Awards will not be broadcast due to the WGA strike (and rightfully so no picket lines should be crossed and members of other unions are standing in solidarity).

However in a horrible moment of two things can be true, this means that as of right now shows that rely on the broadcast (yes even the limited engagements that end in the summer mere weeks after the ceremony) are in danger of closing due to having no publicity.

Please ask everyone you know who sees a broadway show to promote it every way possible while also mentioning why. It shows solidarity to both the shows and the WGA.

It’s a horrible and complicated situation and I stand by the WGA, but I also recognize the shows need our help too, especially given AEA is about to be the only union not on strike.

Thanks all and keep enjoying love theatre!
I saw this over the weekend! I am sad for so many reasons, I love the Tony’s! But I also feel like this writers strike is so silly! Why are people refusing to pay the writers, how do they think this helps anyone???

I want to be hopefully they can end the writers strike sooner then later I have a few shows I love and don’t want them to get cut next season due to this strike! (Think pushing daisies and losing some good office episodes etc etc!)

So that’s my rant, am but also I feel for broadway too!

I saw this over the weekend! I am sad for so many reasons, I love the Tony’s! But I also feel like this writers strike is so silly! Why are people refusing to pay the writers, how do they think this helps anyone???

I want to be hopefully they can end the writers strike sooner then later I have a few shows I love and don’t want them to get cut next season due to this strike! (Think pushing daisies and losing some good office episodes etc etc!)

So that’s my rant, am but also I feel for broadway too!
I have a friend in the writers room of a very well known show and they were prepared so some shows have plans or already have episodes written (that 2007-08 strike really scared a lot of people).

SAGAFTRA is likely to go on strike too for similar reasons including residuals and AI! As Amanda Seyfreid said just pay them. And don’t make stuff done by robots.

I know the Broadway League is meeting. My guess is producers will pull together to at least broadcast a performance or scene of any show that’s still running. No host no nothing just a statement and then “and here are toy nominees so and so performing so and so” the problem is a lot of people don’t want to cross lines and there are nominated writers of plays and musicals that are WGA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter