The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Latest update on the Tony Awards. Hopefully they will happen after all. 🤞

Writers Guild of America Will Not Picket Tony Awards After Promises of Alterations, Clearing Possible Path to June 11 Ceremony

"We stand with our fellow workers on Broadway who are impacted by our strike,"

In a late statement from the Writers Guild of America May 15, the union has revealed it will not picket this year's Tony Awards, clearing a possible path forward for the June 11 ceremony. According to the statement, this update comes in response to promised alterations to the ceremony "to conform with specific requests from the WGA[.]"

The nature of these alterations remains unclear, making it difficult to predict how or if it will affect the planned live TV broadcast of the awards, currently scheduled for June 11. . .

The rest can be read here:
https://playbill.com/article/writer...romises-of-alterations-details-remain-unclear

I finally made it to see a show! My daughter goes to college in New Jersey and I went up there to help her pack up for the summer. We only had time for one show so I let her pick. We went to see Life of Pi and she was mesmerized! We are used to touring shows in the DFW area where the theaters are huge. We loved how intimate the Broadway theater was. We got tickets from TKTS about an hour before the show and the tix were very reasonable. We loved the effects and gasped a few times. The main role is such a physical one. I can't imagine doing that 8 times a week. My daughter and I have both read the book and have seen the movie and we had a great discussion after. We had Juniors cheesecake for dessert before the show and DD Soup Dumplings after which were delicious!

Latest update on the Tony Awards. Hopefully they will happen after all. 🤞

Writers Guild of America Will Not Picket Tony Awards After Promises of Alterations, Clearing Possible Path to June 11 Ceremony

"We stand with our fellow workers on Broadway who are impacted by our strike,"

In a late statement from the Writers Guild of America May 15, the union has revealed it will not picket this year's Tony Awards, clearing a possible path forward for the June 11 ceremony. According to the statement, this update comes in response to promised alterations to the ceremony "to conform with specific requests from the WGA[.]"​
The nature of these alterations remains unclear, making it difficult to predict how or if it will affect the planned live TV broadcast of the awards, currently scheduled for June 11. . .​
The rest can be read here:​
While this is excellent news, according to many friends of mine and people I follow it’s still very complicated. Also Lin Manuel was going to write something but out of solidarity decided not to, and Ariana is still going to “host”. Basically whatever draft was finalized the day of the strike is the draft being used. No new changes and if so it violates the conditions (unless an agreement is reached prior).

In an ironic twist, 35 years ago, the 1988 Tony Awards were ALSO presented during a strike. “Hosted” by Angela Lansbury.
The really ironic part about that year and this year? Phantom dominated the box office during the season and Into the Woods was nominated for multiple awards. Talk about Deja vu (clearly Sondheim was right to make Bobby/Bobbie having a crisi at 35 years of age lol)

Saw Grey House last night!

While it had its moments (My friend and I when the lights went down both went "oooo i lvoe halloween horror nights" lolololol) of scary, it was not scary scary-it was a nice mix of stuff. Left us guessing until the end and we both want to read the script to see what we missed. It was nice to see everyone work together as an ensemble and no one outshined each other (though admittedly it was nice to see Laurie Metcalf in a role that showcased her comedic and dramatic chops). Also a pleasant surprise to discover a former student of mine is in the show! They did beautifully!

Definitely not the best thing i have seen, but something my friend and I admitted we enjoyed and that Broadway needed. Definitely worth it for the special effects and acting. Storyline not appropriate for anyone under 12.

Also was able to get tickets on TDF and wound up in the orchestra-some days were still available but not a lot last I checked!

very amazing night last night with many humans deservedly winning Tony Awards!

Saw Without you Saturday night and Anthony Rapp knocked it out of the ballpark-hope he tours for more of you to see!

Got my Sweeney tickets and probably getting shucked and good night oscar tickets as well.

All I know is I also have my merrily tickets for this fall lololol

very amazing night last night with many humans deservedly winning Tony Awards!

Saw Without you Saturday night and Anthony Rapp knocked it out of the ballpark-hope he tours for more of you to see!

Got my Sweeney tickets and probably getting shucked and good night oscar tickets as well.

All I know is I also have my merrily tickets for this fall lololol
I was rather impressed with how well it turned out with no script!

I am so happy for all the winners! I grabbed a ticket to Leopoldstadt early in the night. I’m bummer Jordan Fisher will leave Sweeney Todd before I see it!

Other wise this was a fabulous season imo! So many great performances and shows.

I thought shucked had the best performance on stage of the night, really showed the show, I thought &Juliets lacked it’s not my fav show, but I thought they should have done a mashup of more performances.

I was rather impressed with how well it turned out with no script!

I am so happy for all the winners! I grabbed a ticket to Leopoldstadt early in the night. I’m bummer Jordan Fisher will leave Sweeney Todd before I see it!

Other wise this was a fabulous season imo! So many great performances and shows.

I thought shucked had the best performance on stage of the night, really showed the show, I thought &Juliets lacked it’s not my fav show, but I thought they should have done a mashup of more performances.
Agreed-I want more unscripted awards ceremonies-I just wish Kander and Joel Grey were given theirs on the main telecast.

I saw Leopoldstat in October and walked out saying I wanted to engrave Brandon's tony right then and there! It is heavy and i recommend you read the information they send you ahead of time.

He is leaving before I see it too!

Im still so torn on shucked but they were definitely one of the stronger showcases of the night. &Juliet needed one of the boy band songs. And Camelot should've stuck to merry month and if ever I would leave you. I love that they had Kennedy come back for into the woods! And as much as I loved Parade I am so sick of them doing this is not over yet for the promo material.

And I really hate saying this: NYNY bored me. But I am happy they gave Ana the chance to shine!

I found the Tonys a bit dry without all the writing. Granted, we could use a lot LESS, especially during the Oscars :headache: who should study this show to see how they can cut a lot of the writing out. But, this also shows that a bit of writing makes the show more lubricated going from one award to another.

I did like seeing all the performances. 🥰

I found the Tonys a bit dry without all the writing. Granted, we could use a lot LESS, especially during the Oscars :headache: who should study this show to see how they can cut a lot of the writing out. But, this also shows that a bit of writing makes the show more lubricated going from one award to another.

I did like seeing all the performances. 🥰
This is a valid critique. I definitely missed having an announcer say people’s names. Kudos to them for allowing the usual voice over person to record the basic “the Tony’s will be right back on CBS”

Saw Leopoldstat tonight and I really enjoyed it, felt it was very relevant and moving.

Plus Jordan Fisher was behind me entering the theater, and I had a slight fan girl moment!

I see rent at Papermill tomorrow, which I have to say has gotten extremely poor reviews but I’m still excited to see it!

Then I see good night Oscar on Thursday, this has turned into a big theater week for me!

Saw Rent at Papermill last night. Overall I love this show, the music, the story, etc. I always try to look at the positive as I love live theater and the actors give it their all!

However this production didn’t do it for me, some acting was great and a number could sing, but the costumes mostly rodgers was so bad, legit did not fit the character at all, but maybe that was on purpose? Taking a new spin? The number of screens on stage was over whelming, and I felt no emotion for a number of characters. Also I am a baby but I didn’t like the lyric additions, they didn’t add anything for me so why bother.

The rest of the audience seemed to really enjoy it, but I could have skipped this one, I never would have, as I’m a subscriber and any chance to see Rent, but I didn’t love it.

Saw Rent at Papermill last night. Overall I love this show, the music, the story, etc. I always try to look at the positive as I love live theater and the actors give it their all!

However this production didn’t do it for me, some acting was great and a number could sing, but the costumes mostly rodgers was so bad, legit did not fit the character at all, but maybe that was on purpose? Taking a new spin? The number of screens on stage was over whelming, and I felt no emotion for a number of characters. Also I am a baby but I didn’t like the lyric additions, they didn’t add anything for me so why bother.

The rest of the audience seemed to really enjoy it, but I could have skipped this one, I never would have, as I’m a subscriber and any chance to see Rent, but I didn’t love it.
The last time we saw Rent on tour, it fell flat too. We LOVE Rent, but we were both underwhelmed. But I haven't seen lyric additions, probably wouldn't like that either. I also saw it with Rapp and Pascal, and while I can handle other people as Mark, no one has been able to match Pascal for Roger for me.

The last time we saw Rent on tour, it fell flat too. We LOVE Rent, but we were both underwhelmed. But I haven't seen lyric additions, probably wouldn't like that either. I also saw it with Rapp and Pascal, and while I can handle other people as Mark, no one has been able to match Pascal for Roger for me.
I saw it with them as well, and a number of times after. I find others to be okay and can handle Roger, but it was Pascal’s role and he really made the character come to life. This actor fell extremely flat and the costuming did no favors to help.

Did anyone else see the announcement for Gutenberg on broadway with Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells!

I am very excited for this!!

Saw Good Night Oscar last night, and I thought Sean Hayes was fabulous! He stole the show and I totally see why he got the Tony!

I can not stop thinking about this performance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter