The Dis Boards origins?

I kind of wonder that too. I first found them in 1998, and I think back then there was just one general board, not broken into categories. But I've got to admit that that was the first year we had the internet, so since I was so new to the whole process, maybe I just didn't find the different boards. I remember that I read the boards for several months before I realized I could register for free!

June, 1997. I've been here since March, '99. Many changes over the years.

(eta date)

Last edited:

Wow vBulletin 2.0! I think I first started lurking here around the rollout of vBulletin version 3.8? Fairly late. Sorry, a real technical junkie/guru here :D

I remember boards that looked different (much more "basic") than the one Dan posted. Questions with responses just tiered under the original post? I found the boards while I was researching my 1999 trip and they were very rudimentary back then but still enormously helpful!

Just curious but when did these Dis boards first go online for the public?

I have been here since 1997. I logged on within a couple of months after the boards launched. :) It truly was a much different place back then with a handful of regulars. :D

I remember boards that looked different (much more "basic") than the one Dan posted. Questions with responses just tiered under the original post? I found the boards while I was researching my 1999 trip and they were very rudimentary back then but still enormously helpful!
I do recall that setup. There is a name for that forum style layout. Maybe linear?

...it took that long to for dial-up to connect and load. =)
Ugh, sure do remember those days, that sound, the wait. :surfweb: :bored:

Ugh, sure do remember those days, that sound, the wait. :surfweb: :bored:

I can still hear it... the tones, the scratchy sounds. It's amazing how quickly technology has developed. I read that the standard smartphone has more computing power than did NASA when they put men on the moon- in a fraction of the space. We've come a long way, baby!

I remember there was a big drama long ago and a group set up a separate board. Is that still going?

Moving to the Podcast board as this is where the team will discuss the history of The DIS :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter