• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The DIS Dad's Club IV - Man Laws & Cheese Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, fellas, I gotta question. :confused:

Anybody ever take walkie talkies to the parks? I'm thinking of taking some to keep in touch when folks split up. Any opinions?

Anybody ever take walkie talkies to the parks? I'm thinking of taking some to keep in touch when folks split up. Any opinions?

We tried that with family members once and it worked ok...we just had other people on our channel talking some too. Not a big deal overall. Now it is just easier to use cell phones...but since your coming from Japan international calling might make cells phones an expensive option.:confused3

We did this a few years ago. They were a Motorola set (around $40 for the 2) and they had decent range (about 1/2 mile) The good thing was that when we split up when we got close we could find each other quickly. The downside was that we were not the only ones with this idea / set. We picked up other conversations (and I'm sure we were picked up by others as well). This past trip we just used cell phones as we both have unlimited use plans and this worked out better.

We tried that with family members once and it worked ok...we just had other people on our channel talking some too. Not a big deal overall. Now it is just easier to use cell phones...but since your coming from Japan international calling might make cells phones an expensive option.:confused3

Oops, didn't think about that international calling thing. Yeah I agree the walkie talkies are a good alternative.

Wow... I have admit... I'm not much of a hockey fan... but that was some excellent fighting. One question though... DW and I were watching that fight and she says "That's not legal! They can't fight like that!". I said "Yes they can... they are the enforcers!". So the question is... what exactly do the enforcers do... and how do the fights works.. are they "legal"?

When I was a kid in Syracuse we used to go to see the Blazers, a minor league hockey team. One year they were the second most penalized team in the league and played the most penalized team in a playoff game. If you ever saw the hockey movie Slap Shot with Paul Newman there was a scene where a fight broke out before the national anthem. This game was like that. Good fun for a pre-teen kid.

DID IT! $544 for 4 people, round trip.

Good for you. If the kids haven’t flown before it will be a great treat for them.

Alright guys, I need some advice from those of you that have done a Disney Cruise. We're looking at a 4 day, because I've heard the 3s are just too short. What I need assistance on is the room. We will probably be trading DVC points for the cruise, but we don't want to break the bank there, either. How much time do you really spend in the room? Is an inside stateroom good enough if all we would do is sleep there (2 adults, 2 kids - probably 5 and 7 or so at time of sailing)? Should we upgrade to a porthole or even an veranda?
Any advice or experience that you can share would be helpful!

You've gotten some good feedback already, but I'll add my thoughts anyway. We were in an inside room for our trip a few years ago. I wouldn't do it again. I just need to be able to see light of dark outside from my room and without having to go to another deck. I also really wanted to wath us pull into ports early in the morning while everyone was getting ready. With that said, I have read that the new ships will have virtual port holes for the inside staterooms that will have live camera feeds from the outside of the ship (and an added bonus of occasional character visits to the port hole).

VERY NICE! :thumbsup2

Has anyone done the guided bass fishing at the world? I'm an avid flyfisher and would like to know if its worth it. Were going back in Jun 2011 and I'm considering it. also how much does it cost?:surfweb:

Oh yea!!! So you gonna take ME or have the in-laws come get cha?

I use Motorola 2 ways while snowboarding. They work great & have a 10 mile range. The new ones have a ranges between 20-30 miles for under $50. An advantage of the radios I have is that the 2 ways have 40 sub-channels per channel. That usually gives me a free channel to talk on. :hyper2:

Can someone point me in the direction of the homemade dolewhips.....:worship:
Nate has been pretty busy at work so he hasn't been on the boards lately. He should be back soon and he can give you directions to the corn field! :lmao:

:woohoo:

you will never want to drive it again!!!
As Meatloaf once said, "You took the words right out of my mouth." It's a good thing I wasn't eating cheese balls at the time! :rotfl:

I'm so disappointed in you Barry. :sad1: How are you gonna get those Cheeseballs down to FLA now?
Ohh... I'll think of something.
2939103166_f595d3f50f.jpg

Cool! So when are you going now? Still in December?
Yup. Flights are Dec 4 and Dec 11. We arrive about 6 hours after we would by driving, but we gain and entire day at the end of the trip.

you will never want to drive it again!!!
We've flown before. We drove for the last two trips just because I couldn't find airfare for less than $900. When I find a good deal (like this) I'll grab it. We may drive again for our next trip (whenever that will be) - it all depends on the cost. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. We've gotten spoiled having our van down there and not having to rely on Disney Transportation, so this one will be a bit of an adjustment.

Oh yea!!! So you gonna take ME or have the in-laws come get cha?
We'll be using the in-law express. The flights were significantly cheaper flying on Saturdays, but the hotel stay is Sunday-Thursday nights. One night on either end of the trip at the in-laws will be good for the kids.

You guys post faster than I can keep up!!! :worship:

Sitting here planning my Wrestlemania trip next year---Wooo Hooo!!!
Yup. We're worse than a bunch of women. :chat:
Where's Wrestlemania going to be?

Has anyone done the guided bass fishing at the world? I'm an avid flyfisher and would like to know if its worth it. Were going back in Jun 2011 and I'm considering it. also how much does it cost?:surfweb:

I've done the guided trip the last two times that we have been down. I love to fish and thought that it would be great to fish in front of the Magic Kingdom. It was definatly worth it. I had my oldest son along for both trips (he was 6 for the 1st trip and 9 for the 2nd trip). He had a blast and caught a lot of fish. The cost was about $250.00 to fish on the pontoon boat for 2 hours and you can take up to five people. I think that the trips on the bass boats are a little more expensive.

Are you renting a car? If so you might want to swing by Walmart or a cell phone store and pick up a couple of Net10 phones. They run about $30 for the phone and 300 minutes, a text counts as half a minute. It would be a bit more money but you wouldn't need to worry about being out of range and finding a channel that other people are not using.

We use them - very handy... make sure you use them with the vibrate feature, as the ringer sometimes get lost in the hubbub of the crowd... range is great (with the Motorola ones we use)... never have any difficulty reaching my wife from one end of Epcot to the other while racing for fastpasses...:drive:

You guys post faster than I can keep up!!! :worship:

We were averaging between 2-4 pages per day all through DDCIII. To paraphrase that great philospher Ferris Beuller - Life in the DDC moves fast, if you don't stop by and follow along once in a while, you could miss it.

Alright guys, I need some advice from those of you that have done a Disney Cruise. We're looking at a 4 day, because I've heard the 3s are just too short. What I need assistance on is the room. We will probably be trading DVC points for the cruise, but we don't want to break the bank there, either. How much time do you really spend in the room? Is an inside stateroom good enough if all we would do is sleep there (2 adults, 2 kids - probably 5 and 7 or so at time of sailing)? Should we upgrade to a porthole or even an veranda?
Any advice or experience that you can share would be helpful!

all though DW and I always get a veranda most of our fellow cruise mates (and there are many) take the lowest price they can get. most people spend little or no time in the room there is just to much to do. rooms low in the ship (deck 2) are more stable as they are closer to the center of gravity. but you can hear the ship more. I.E. engine and such. the only reason for DW's insistence on a veranda is that she loves to sit out there and fall asleep to the sound of the water passing the ship. with seven DCL cruises behind us and six booked for 2010/2011 we are more than willing to help with info if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter