The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Yep, I got a bold plan of building a shot big enough to provide my camper with year long shelter and having a lean-to off of each side for workspace and an area to work on things.

I usually stick to older items when it comes to equipment like machinery. I own a Massey Ferguson 135 (1971 model I believe) and my wife was like "why do you want such an old tractor?". The answer was that it was smaller and easier to use, but most importantly, easy to work on. I can do most all my own work like replace clutch, rebuild injectors, etc. Only problem is that my small shed is really cramped. I want more room for my tools and welding equipment.

Yep, just time and money...

A bigger part is that I am Cheap. Okay, I am more frugal then cheap... but when I have to pay someone an exorbitant amount of money (relatively speaking) for some work that doesn't seem too terrible for someone who is handy.... I re-think about learning how to do it.
This is exactly what I do. I was brought up fairly poor. We had the basics, but our "trips" were tent camping with Boy Scouts and summer camp.

I've always been mechanical and can figure out most things. I started working on the family car at 12. The starter on our Dodge station wagon went out. The garage wanted a lot to replace it. I called a parts store and found out the part was 1/3 of what the garage wanted, so I slid under the car, found something that looked like a starter (we had the service manual) and I pulled it out. $35 later, the car was running. And it's all been down hill from there. :-)

I have a 114 year old house that I've been rehabing/remodeling for a long time. Replaced all the plumbing and electrical. Painted it once (I worked as a painter out of high school), just sided it last year. Gutted to the studs and replaced the kitchen 2 years ago and added an addition to the back. The only things I have hired out were the A/C and furnace replacement, the shell for the addition and replacing the water lateral line last year. I considered replacing the lateral when I saw the $1100 bids, but we barely had water, I had to work and I would have to get an excavator and deal with the city water company to tie it into the cutoff in front of my house. It ended up only being $875. Money well spent.

j

My job has taken me here this evening....was interesting to see, buuuuut, not really my thing.

image.jpeg

Anyone with a BR A/C unit, is your A/C on a wall thermostat that lets you control the temp and fan or integrated into the ceiling unit?

This is the first "2nd A/C" I have had. It cools great and has lots of ways to direct the air, but the fan stays on all the time and even on low, it is LOUD. I'm wondering if there is a remote thermostat and fan control option. It is a standard Dometic A/C unit.

j

My wife is the one who controls and sets our thermostat but both of our units run off same one and both have an AUTO option so the fans don't run constantly FYI ours was running very loud so we had them look at it the last tie we brought into the shop found we had a major problem that would have killed it if continued to use it

My job has taken me here this evening....was interesting to see, buuuuut, not really my thing.

View attachment 170446

I had a job for about 5 years early in this century that took me to NOLA once a month and I stayed at the Westin down on Canal on the edge of the quarter (they and my company had a cozy relationship). Part of the job was a work "conference" at the Monteleone on Royal Street the week before Mardi Gras every year. According to IRS laws, a work meeting must last at least 51% of the day in order to be written off as business. So by 1pm every day we were DONE with "bidness" and focused on more important topics like who had a reservation for how many at which restaurant that night and, more importantly, whose turn it was to use their company's expense account. But there's only ...

So many parades you can see...
So many bead strings you can put around your neck...
So many drunk encounters to witness on Bourbon...
So many mounted police arresting people for thinking the lightpole was a bathroom...
So many motorcycles parked outside bars that never close 24x7...

It is a great location for the Sugar Bowl (although the round stadium sux) with restaurants, hotels, entertainment, and the stadium within walking distance.

Plus I am a card carrying contributor to NOLA public radio WWOZ the "Guardians of the Groove".

And finally, I have seen the answer play out to the immortal question "Hey mister, I know where you got your shoes?".

The WWII Museum is worthy as is the Acme Oyster House on Iberville - and Preservation Hall. Oh and the calliope on the Steamboat Natchez.

But the rest, I'm over it.

Get home safe Jimmy. But go ahead and second line if the spirit moves you.

Bama Ed

PS - It's important to say the town name properly, New Awlins. Don't EVER say the R sound or lean on it hard. Say it quick with the "lins" almost whispered as an afterthought and you've got it down.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was fortunate enough to slip over from the office and watch Alabama Baseball play in the SEC Tournament. The baseball stadium is within 10 minutes of my house. Alabama beat Kentucky to advance to play today against the regular season SEC champion, Mississippi State.

Now there are 8 teams left and 4 games will be played today (double elimination from here on out). Of the 8 SEC teams remaining, 7 are ranked in the top 10 nationally (Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Florida, LSU, S Carolina, Texas A&M). Who is the 8th team left not in the top 10 in the country? Alabama. Gonna be the best one day of college baseball in one location in a LONG time. Sadly, I can't make it over there today.

All the teams are staying at the same hotel I think (lots of schools represented based on the charter busses parked outside) at the hotel here locally where they have SEC Media Days for Football in mid-July. On the way to work today I snapped a picture of the Ole Miss and Miss St busses for tiggerdad.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Yay, I finally have an OT chit chat to talk about. And I figured it would be appreciated in here ;)

My son read his first word while camping this past weekend. He was looking a the Coleman and asked me why it said not to use it in the car.
He saw he Warning Sign and scanned the paragraph and saw the word CAR- and put two and two together.

I went into an explanation about ventilation before it dawned on me that he READ THE WORD and understood what the label was saying, in part.
Who said school is confined to 4 walls ? Haha.

[
Isn't it neat to watch the kids grow? :-)
QUOTE="rideswithchrist, post: 55827938, member: 526337"]My son read his first word while camping this past weekend.[/QUOTE]
Both of mine did it as well. For me though it's the questions.
My son was about 5 or 6. We drove past the exit sign for the town of Lebanon in Indiana.
He watched the sign go by and then turned to me and said, "that sign said Lebanon, aren't they having a war there?"
We had a fairly lengthy discussion after that about different places in the world.

I still remember when I was younger, we passed a road sign in our travels... The adults snickered but I was too young to realize what it was about.

intercourse-pa.jpg

Now I snicker and my kids (well my youngest at this point anyway) wonder! :)

Ed,

I was wondering, do you just have a really great memory, or do you keep some notes. I am always amazed at how accurately you are able to point someone to a particular post/page in a thread even from a little while back when a question comes up...I read through so many different things here that I could never keep it all straight!

Work keeps getting in the way.

I am out camping for the next 4 days even though I have a conference call tomorrow and about 200 emails to get through.

j

We did fathers day at Tall Pines Harbor on Va eastern shore. Pirate themed weekend. Outside of THE GIRLS making me walk the plank whole thing was a bust, I mean I have ridden POC more than a few times and there should have been a Wench auction even if all I am allowed to do is window shop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter