The Disney Store Closings?

jwfla422

DIS Veteran/Philly Native
Just wondering if anyone had any updates on what's going on with the Disney Store closings. I recall reading that they were closing some locations throughout the country. I was very surprised to see they closed a location near me at an upscale mall.

They've been having their semi annual sale for the past 2-3 weeks. I actually bought items at the store that closed about 2 1/2 weeks ago, but there's another store closer that still has the sale up, although a busy store I'm just wondering if this one is closing too (because the sale just seems too long). Maybe they plan to close them all...what a bummer:(

Also wonder if this will affect the Character Premiere stores (outlet stores) although most of their merchandise is discontinued (discounted) merchandise from the parks.

No, the semi annual sale is running the same in all locations, and is in no way indicative of the store closing. Enjoy the bargains, the new stuff (back to school, etc) will be arriving very soon!

What was said at the mall near us is that if they had given it a little more time the store would have been busy again. It was in the Target wing and Target built a new stand-alone store. The entire wing was DEAD for about 18 months. Now the new Yonker's is in there and the wing is FULL of traffic again all the time.

I was so disappointed when I got to my favorite Disney Store and it had been closed. No advertisements or anything - bet they had some really good sales that I missed. Anyway we are over an hour away from the mall where that one was located. There is another (+15 minutes away) that is still open right now. It is bigger, but doesn't carry all the stuff the other store carried.
There is another (+30 minutes away) that I do not get to often and have not idea if it is still operating.

But, I was so sad.....................

Greenbriar Mall in Chesapeake, VA
Chesapeake Square
and Lynnhaven Mall in Va. Beach

When a new mall was built 30 minutes from my house I was so happy to finally get a Disney Store close to me. But when I went there was none to be found. I emailed the head honcho he responded by saying that Disney is not putting in any more stores! I can't remember his exact words but it was something like "People only buy so many disney items." Baloney! I guess I'll just keep driving past his mall to go another half hour to one with a Disney Store!

We can only buy so many Disney items because the stores carry so much princess items/outfits for little girls. :rolleyes:
The demand is there, but not the items (locally) IMHO.
If they stocked park items, I think sales would increase, not to mention guests visting the parks!
Here in Omaha, one smart cookie is opening a true Disney collectable store in the mall location of the *old* Disney store that was shut down in January.

I agree and I'm no marketing expert but wouldn't you think a travel desk specializing in Disney vacations and cruises would do bring people and $$$ in? I know that when I'm in there I start planning my next trip (if it's not already booked)! Maybe a corner in the store could have some of their treats that we get on vacation? Mainstreet USA and DD is filled with wonderful things and yet the Disney Store can seem like a glorified toy store. Yet, I still like to go there when I need a dose of pixie dust. Again, no expert here on marketing but those are my ideas IMHO.

Selected stores had a travel desk. They were closed about a year ago.

I would probably figure that many people came to get info, but would book on their own. In any case, the travel desks weren't profitable.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter