The Dream hit the dock in Nassau

We're actually not supposed to mention or promote anything on the Book of Faces...

She is heading out now. And the Nassau port cam seems intent on zooming in, so we shall see what her aft looks like now...

That would be on the captain. Depends how bad the structural damage is. If it’s just superficial, then they’ll probably just repaint it and repair during the next maintenenace period. What I would be concerned with is any damage at or below the waterline. If it’s significant structural damage, it will impact someone’s cruise.
Is it the Captain? I thought most ports have a pilot who comes aboard the ship to dock it.

The pilot ensures the ship safely travels to the port, through often narrow channels. Generally the pilot is off the ship before docking. Not pointing fingers, but someone is supposed to be watching the edges of the ship during maneuvers like docking. There are cameras covering every part of the exterior of the ship.

The pilot ensures the ship safely travels to the port, through often narrow channels. Generally the pilot is off the ship before docking. Not pointing fingers, but someone is supposed to be watching the edges of the ship during maneuvers like docking. There are cameras covering every part of the exterior of the ship.

This wasn't even as "on the edge" as I thought it was. It looked to be pretty much just port of center - which makes them VERY lucky I think that it was not a LOT worse!

Is it the Captain? I thought most ports have a pilot who comes aboard the ship to dock it.
Pilots are rarely compulsory. Even with a pilot, the Captain never relinquishes responsibility for his/her vessel. With the technology in both propulsion and electronics on these ships, this is a pretty big “bonehead” event.

Pilots are rarely compulsory. Even with a pilot, the Captain never relinquishes responsibility for his/her vessel. With the technology in both propulsion and electronics on these ships, this is a pretty big “bonehead” event.

WOW

HUGELY WRONG

Pilots are virtually ALWAYS compulsory ....... (law of the land ..... for example see US regulations ..... commercial vessels MUST employ pilots)

otoh a pilot while can NOT be refused, is (with only a few exceptions) always an ADVISOR to the Master .... but one that is ignored only with accepting GREAT RISK

Curiously a recent incident in the Panama Canal - an EXCEPTION to the 'advisor role', where the pilot DOES ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY and can NOT be refused according to law, found the ship's captain and crew partially responsible for allowing the pilot to be a dufus ...... I'm still tryin' to figure this one out in my head ......

My background is military so our rules were different - so, not hugely wrong. Saw many a pilot whom I wouldn’t trust with a toy boat much less my billion dollar destroyer. Regardless, it’s unlikely a pilot had anything to do with this.

WOW

HUGELY WRONG

Pilots are virtually ALWAYS compulsory ....... (law of the land ..... for example see US regulations ..... commercial vessels MUST employ pilots)

otoh a pilot while can NOT be refused, is (with only a few exceptions) always an ADVISOR to the Master .... but one that is ignored only with accepting GREAT RISK

Curiously a recent incident in the Panama Canal - an EXCEPTION to the 'advisor role', where the pilot DOES ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY and can NOT be refused according to law, found the ship's captain and crew partially responsible for allowing the pilot to be a dufus ...... I'm still tryin' to figure this one out in my head ......
I love your explanations.

WOW

HUGELY WRONG

Yup, very few times when you can say no to a pilot. However, I'm only aware of 2 times that a Master of a vessel is required to transfer responsibility to the pilot: transiting the Panama Canal the Master is contractually required to shift navigational control to the pilot, and when entering/exiting drydock the dock master has total authority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter