The drive to Vero Beach

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of trying Vero Beach for a few days next spring with my teen daughter.

How is the drive there? Also, is there a way to avoid the major traffic?

I've never rented a car on my own (my DH is usually the driver and I'm the navigator) and don't want to end up lost in the middle of Florida with my daughter. Thanks for any help!

The drive takes about 2 hours.
IMHO, the easiest way would be to take the Florida Turnpike south to Yeehaw Junction, then east on Rt 50.

HTH

Personally, I would drive over to the coast and take Route 1A south straight to Vero beach. It is a much less stressful drive. You do go through some small towns, and it takes a little longer than 95, but it is the scenic route and just a pleasant drive. Nothing worse than driving a vehicle you're not used on a major highway. :scared:

Vero Beach resort is off of Interstate I-95 Exit 156 / Route 512 - Sebastian. Turn east on 512, go 2.5 miles, then right (south) on route 510 and follow to the ocean. about 8.5 miles. Turn right at the ocean, Route A1A and the resort is on the left a hundred yards or so down the road.

If leaving from Boardwalk - Left on Buena Vista Drive, then right on Route 536 / Epcot Center Drive. We usually don't get on Interstate 4, because it gets so congested, but go straight on R 536 and connect to Route 417 / Central Florida Greenway. Take R 417 / Greenway eastward up to Route 528 / Bee Line Expressway on the east side of the airport, then take R 528 east to I-95 and I-95 south to Exit 156.

Takes about 1 h 45 to 2 hrs from Boardwalk. Approx 105 miles.

It's a typical interstate drive and my only recommendation is to avoid the late afternoon traffic. I can't remember what the exact tolls are, maybe $3.50 - we use those electronic passes.

Spring is a great time of year down here.

We always take Greeneway to Beeline to A1A. It's an easy drive, not too much traffic, there's the occasional view of the ocean, and we love to stop at Ron Jon's.

I'd check out construction before taking the Turnpike. When I was there in January, they were widening 60 (which is what you pick up in Yeehaw Junction) and there were some slowdowns (major). I'm sure it isn't finished yet so I'd recommend either 95 or one of the other suggested routes. Once 60 is 4 lanes between Yeehaw and 95 that should be the quickest route.

The drive takes about 2 hours.
IMHO, the easiest way would be to take the Florida Turnpike south to Yeehaw Junction, then east on Rt 50.

HTH

How do you get to VB from there? We're heading down the weekend after the 4th (Pepsi daytona race) and want to avoid heading toward 95 from WDW. thanks

Jenny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter