The elusive good Scunci like product for thick wavy/curly hair?

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a good scunci brand for long thick curly/wavy hair? A link? My hair just snapped another one that I paid $10 for at Nordstrom but I can't seem to find more. I need the fabric covered kind but am sick of collecting ones that fail because if they are too tight I get a beast of a migraine. I'm asking because I can't go out and reviews on Amazon have lead to many fails.

The ponytail search is up there with the pillow dilemma :genie:

Does anyone have a good scunci brand for long thick curly/wavy hair? A link? My hair just snapped another one that I paid $10 for at Nordstrom but I can't seem to find more. I need the fabric covered kind but am sick of collecting ones that fail because if they are too tight I get a beast of a migraine. I'm asking because I can't go out and reviews on Amazon have lead to many fails.

The ponytail search is up there with the pillow dilemma :genie:
These are getting harder and harder to find! I scored some on Amazon earlier this year -- you really do have to read the reviews (as you've already learned!) and go by the photos, if any are provided. Beauty supply stores can have some. I try to stop by to at least ask about them whenever we go by a beauty supply place. One time I stumbled on a bunch at Rite Aid -- score! The quality just isn't what it used to be, so I've resigned myself to buying as many as I can when I do find them because I know they'll break. Do any of your friends have a cosmetology license? A friend of mine said that she finds better quality hair accessories for her daughter (who has super thick hair) at the professional supply stores.

I know you specifically asked about fabric scruncis, but have you tried this type of hair tie? My one daughter and I both have super thick curly hair and we can both use these, although typically I use a hair clip/clips if I want to wear my hair up.

Lots of people are making fabric scruncis now so the ones my girls do have were purchased at local shops or craft fairs. It's complete hit or miss depending on the elastic, fabric, size, etc.

Attachments

• hair tie.jpg
    hair tie.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 14
I come from a long line of women with super thick, fine, straight hair. People think it's gorgeous, but it's such a pain! Anyway, my DD17 swears by the Revlon extra-thick hairbands. They usually only come in brown. I find them in Walmart, but you have to look by the rows and rows of Scunci brand bands--those don't work for her. At home, she typically wears a ponytail, but she's also a dancer, so needs to have it up in a bun for that. They hold her hair well, and no headaches.

Good luck, the struggle is real.

I know you specifically asked about fabric scruncis, but have you tried this type of hair tie? My one daughter and I both have super thick curly hair and we can both use these, although typically I use a hair clip/clips if I want to wear my hair up.

Lots of people are making fabric scruncis now so the ones my girls do have were purchased at local shops or craft fairs. It's complete hit or miss depending on the elastic, fabric, size, etc.
I use teleties. DD has very thick curly hair (she's a 3C) and uses them too.

I have crazy thick thigh-length wavy hair, very heavy and various hairdressers over the years have told me it takes longer to wash my hair than most other clients because there is so much more of it (more strands per square inch I guess?). Scrunchies haven't really worked for me ever, they tend to just slide off and let the hair loose because they aren't really holding it, so I use the thickest hair claws I can find. They break on a regular basis (I buy 3 packs a couple of times a year), but they keep the hair out of my face and keep it in a neat and tidy bun. The tines tend to break before the claw itself but I can usually use it for a month or so after the tines break but before the spring does.

These are the type of hair ties I use for my combo wavy/curly hair. They work great for me for buns especially, but I also use them for ponytails too.
One tip to get them out without pulling and snagging/breaking your hair is to fully stretch them out as far as you can. They come right out and won't retract fully like an elastic hair tie does. To make them shrink back up like new again hit them with your blow dryer or run hot water over them. I have them all over my house, desk, car, purse etc and once a week or so I'll gather up any stretched out ones, drop them into a coffee cup and brew a cup of water over them from my coffee maker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter