The Everything Victoria & Albert's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ate at Victoria and Albert’s in the main dining room, first seating, about a week ago and it was amazing. Truly one of the best meals of our lives. We did an all-red wine pairing (thanks to the sommelier) and all the wine, and the food, was spectacular.

I was particularly impressed with the fish course. I had the most perfectly cooked halibut, creamy, milky white inside and oh-so-moist with clams and corn chowder. I wanted to lick the bowl it was so good. My husband had the salmon (we ordered different items for each course to taste more) and, even though I’m not usually a huge fan, it was so perfectly cooked and seasoned I could have eaten three pieces.

The only thing I didn’t love was the smoked buffalo appetizer. It was really smoked, as in tasting like bacon, which wasn’t very appealing to me, but my husband gobbled it down. Everything else though, including the amazing amuse bouche with a tiny thimble of perhaps the best lobster bisque I ever tasted, was out-of-this-world. (Alas, though I begged, they wouldn’t give me any more.)

The service too, was impeccable. The only really weird thing was there is kind of a whisper dome in the main dining area. If you’re sitting in the right place, you can hear the conversation (just one person) of the diner across the room. And not just hear it, it’s like they’re in your ear. And it’s only that one person at the table. It’s actually a little creepy and, I imagine, what being schizophrenic might feel like (voices in your head). There’s also no warning or talk of it from the staff, and my husband couldn’t hear it from where he was seated, so for about three courses I thought I was losing my mind. (Goodness knows what the other diner thought when I started repeating everything they said to my husband and ever more agitatedly asking, ‘Now you must have heard that, right?!’)

If I can drag my husband back to Disney, we’ll definitely return to Victoria and Albert’s!

PS: We never got a pre-meal phone call from Victoria and Albert's, which worried me a bit, but didn't effect our meal quality at all.

I called V&A before our trip since I hadn't heard from them. No big deal. We asked for low sodium, and except for the third bread served with unsalted butter, would never have known it. One of the most wonderful meals we've had!

Also want to give kudos to Christian, the harpist. He added so much to the evening. And there's nothing like hearing "Age of Aquarius" and "Suicide is Painless" on the harp in such a beautiful environment! :laughing:

Just now getting settled at home after our trip. Our dinner at V&A was amazing, definitely a highlight of our trip! I wish we could eat here every trip, but I think it will have to be a once in a while thing, which I guess will make it more special. I will try and post some more details and some pictures soon! :)

Made ressies today for our May trip!! We are so excited:dance3: Can't wait to read this entire thread. This will be our first experience at V&As.

We are planning on dining at V&As for our 12th anniversary along with my parents and I wanted to dress up HOWEVER I really hate feeling out of place and overdressed. I've tried to find photos of what most ladies wear but haven't had any luck:surfweb: so if anyone can give me an idea of what I should wear I'd be grateful. I wanted to wear a a burgandy satin evening gown with a deep neckline. Too much right?

You really cannot overdress for V&A.

However, for men White Tie may be a little over the top.

Last time we ate there I wore a black silk sleeveless dress with a black lace shawl. Not only did I feel very elegant, but I got several wonderful comments about how I looked as we walked through the lobby. Pretty cool.....oh yeah, the food was pretty darn good too!

Actually about 1/4 of the men at V&A these days don't even wear a tie----

As for the ladies, most wear some sort of dress, but there are always some in pants suits as well.

12/1/2010 V&A QVR

176.jpg

We are planning on dining at V&As for our 12th anniversary along with my parents and I wanted to dress up HOWEVER I really hate feeling out of place and overdressed. I've tried to find photos of what most ladies wear but haven't had any luck:surfweb: so if anyone can give me an idea of what I should wear I'd be grateful. I wanted to wear a a burgandy satin evening gown with a deep neckline. Too much right?
I would not wear an evening gown. I consider the dress to be more cocktail party attire than formal wear.

Both times we went, I wore pants suits with a sparkly jacket. I was not underdressed.

Spent the last few hours reading this entire thread.:surfweb: We booked the the Chef's Table for May. (So excited and a little nervous!) My question... Since you are more or less seated in the kitchen, is it warm? Hot? I generally find the AC in Disney restaurants to be more than adequate, but wasn't sure about this venue. So, what is the temperature like?

It is an alcove at one end of the kitchen, with a fairly unobstructed view of almost everything. The kitchen is well ventilated and air conditioned. The lighting, of course, is large fluorescent tubes as it is a work area.

I have just received our confirmation for QVR for our upcoming trip in May. Can't hardly wait :cool1::cool1:

We did the the QVR in November and it was awesome! We're still talking about it! The thing that impressed me most was how they were able to alter the menu for me on the fly. We were a party of 6 and on of the other women in our group made the reservation. I told her that I was lactose intolerant, and asked her to mention that when she called. Apparently she forgot because one of the items on the menu was a cheese plate, and there was another item (I can't remember what it was) that had cream in it. The chef prepared entirely different entrees for me when the others received their dairy items. It was great!

SUPER EXCITED! Ok so this is a silly post...but when we were at the QVR we had these croutons that were amazing...You got to choose your own salt and oil...I made mine with Himalayan Salt and Spanish Oil...Well, I looked everywhere (except online) and could not find Himalayan Salt anywhere! Last night DH and I were at TJ Maxx and found 3 bottle of it...Yup...We purchased all 3 bottles...Now to find the oil...Just a little bit of V&A at home :thumbsup2

SUPER EXCITED! Ok so this is a silly post...but when we were at the QVR we had these croutons that were amazing...You got to choose your own salt and oil...I made mine with Himalayan Salt and Spanish Oil...Well, I looked everywhere (except online) and could not find Himalayan Salt anywhere! Last night DH and I were at TJ Maxx and found 3 bottle of it...Yup...We purchased all 3 bottles...Now to find the oil...Just a little bit of V&A at home :thumbsup2

We had those as well. I looked at the new tea and spice shop in DD thinking that they would have the salt, but no luck. I'll have to check out TJ Maxx sometime.

I have a quick question about the sizes of the portions in the Dining Room. are they large portions or just a bit on the small side given the number of courses? In other words, does anyone leave Victoria and Albert's feeling like they've had too much food - of just enough?

I'm really hoping that it's smaller portions for the enjoyment of the food.

Oh, and I've booked for April 21st - now I just have to figure out what to wear! :) Would you consider the temerature in the dining room to be on the cool side or the warm side? I'm trying to figure out if I should go for a wrap or a jacket.

TIA

Karen :flower3:

I have a quick question about the sizes of the portions in the Dining Room. are they large portions or just a bit on the small side given the number of courses? In other words, does anyone leave Victoria and Albert's feeling like they've had too much food - of just enough?

I'm really hoping that it's smaller portions for the enjoyment of the food.

Oh, and I've booked for April 21st - now I just have to figure out what to wear! :) Would you consider the temerature in the dining room to be on the cool side or the warm side? I'm trying to figure out if I should go for a wrap or a jacket.

TIA

Karen :flower3:
The courses are a "tasting" size - not a full sized entree. But you still have to pace yourself!

Hard to tell about the temperature, or how warm your wraps or jackets are! But I do believe that they have wraps for you if you get too cool. Just another service of a first-class restaurant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter