The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

I can say that I have eaten there.

A&W... about 30 years ago. Does that count?
That would make for a weird breakfast.

You got one!?!?!?!?
I'm pretty sure...I think? Now I can't remember.

Yeah... I'm close. Still love it, but... $$$$$$$$
I saw they added a note in the fine print that guests paying for Genie+ can expect to average 2-3 rides per day on it. Gee, that seems worth it!

Oh, no. More than that. I'm looking to go sometime before my Alaska cruise, which is in September.
Gotcha. So this is the "I need to get out of this house after being stuck here during COVID" trip, right?

You guys won't know what to do with yourselves!
Maybe we should travel more!

I've thought about it and I couldn't pick one. But I've narrowed it down to three.

1) Our first look at Tunnel View in Yosemite
2) Taking in the incredible star covered night sky in Monument Valley
3) To the delight of my kids and the horror of my husband and I, having a black bear cross our path in Sequoia National Forest
It's really hard to beat Tunnel View, isn't it?

These all sound really memorable!

That would make for a weird breakfast.
Actually… was lunch.
But our A&W’s are different than yours. They do have breakfast similar to McDonald’s.
I saw they added a note in the fine print that guests paying for Genie+ can expect to average 2-3 rides per day on it. Gee, that seems worth it!
:sad2:
Gotcha. So this is the "I need to get out of this house after being stuck here during COVID" trip, right?
::yes::

I just loved your wrap up post! I’ve been following along for quite a while although not a regular commenter. It’s been fun seeing all the places you go and watching everyone grow up.

My kids are 17, 19, and 21 and they are the best travel companions. Between Covid and other life events, we have had 4 trips not happen. We know the window to travel together is small. Our Alaska trip will occur when they youngest graduates from college. I told my kids that a couple years ago.

I just loved your wrap up post! I’ve been following along for quite a while although not a regular commenter. It’s been fun seeing all the places you go and watching everyone grow up.
Thank you so much! I appreciate you sticking with me all these years.

My kids are 17, 19, and 21 and they are the best travel companions. Between Covid and other life events, we have had 4 trips not happen. We know the window to travel together is small. Our Alaska trip will occur when they youngest graduates from college. I told my kids that a couple years ago.
I bet you can't wait! COVID really interrupted a lot of plans, I'm sure. It's just confirmed how much we all need to get out of the house.

Hope you can pull off the big Alaska trip!

Thank you for sharing all of your amazing adventures with us..I have followed along for quite some time (I remember when Andrew made his first photo appearances!). It has been lovely following along, and like others have said you inspired me to get on the road with my daughter (who is now almost 17). Perhaps you will share the SoCal adventures?

Your humor and attention to detail have been very much appreciated! I will admit I got teary reading the wrap-up…where does the time go? It feels like warp speed when you are a parent ❤️

Thank you for sharing all of your amazing adventures with us..I have followed along for quite some time (I remember when Andrew made his first photo appearances!). It has been lovely following along, and like others have said you inspired me to get on the road with my daughter (who is now almost 17). Perhaps you will share the SoCal adventures?
Thank you for being such a long-time reader! I'm honored that you've followed us this whole way and especially that you felt inspired to go out on your own!

I imagine I'll probably do a TR for the California trip. It's always fun to re-live the adventure.

Your humor and attention to detail have been very much appreciated! I will admit I got teary reading the wrap-up…where does the time go? It feels like warp speed when you are a parent ❤️
Amen to that. I can't believe the kids are leaving the house now. It doesn't feel real.

Loved the wrap up posts Mark. I've enjoyed the following along on your trips over the past several years. You do a great job with these TR's and you have a wonderful family.

I have to say though, those early pictures of Sarah remind me so much of DD today and seeing how quickly she has grown up to become a young woman... where in the heck did all this dust in the air come from?

The last two posts were incredible! I've followed your adventures for many many years and really enjoyed reminiscing with you!

Loved the wrap up posts Mark. I've enjoyed the following along on your trips over the past several years. You do a great job with these TR's and you have a wonderful family.
...as far as you know.

Just kidding. Thanks, Andy! It's been great getting to know you here on the boards over the years and I'm thankful you've stuck with me this whole time.

I have to say though, those early pictures of Sarah remind me so much of DD today and seeing how quickly she has grown up to become a young woman... where in the heck did all this dust in the air come from?
I hate to say this, but...it just gets worse. Time flies. It's crazy.

It's not all sadness, though. It's really fun watching them start to make their own choices and become adults. I'm excited to see what comes next.

The last two posts were incredible! I've followed your adventures for many many years and really enjoyed reminiscing with you!
Thank you, Lisa! Thanks for keeping up with me. I haven't done so good of a job of that myself!

Loved binge reading this today. I even had to start from the beginning again as I've been away so long. Thank you for sharing your adventures. Your writing style is so fun and the pictures are amazing. So glad your family finished the 50 state quest!

Playing catch up on the DIS. Too tired to multi-quote, but I enjoyed watching your kids grow up. I came in a little before halfway along the way, so it was fun reliving some of your family's happy and silly memories!

Loved binge reading this today. I even had to start from the beginning again as I've been away so long. Thank you for sharing your adventures. Your writing style is so fun and the pictures are amazing. So glad your family finished the 50 state quest!
Welcome back, Jen! Glad to hear from you. Thanks for the compliments and for reading!

Playing catch up on the DIS. Too tired to multi-quote, but I enjoyed watching your kids grow up. I came in a little before halfway along the way, so it was fun reliving some of your family's happy and silly memories!
Thanks, Alison! Hope this was at least a bit of a fun break for you.

The Oblivious Family Quick Reference Guide to all 50 States (with bonus haiku tributes)

As I continue to stall for time while I wait for my family to finish their definitive rankings of our vacations, I decided to try and put together a quick guide to the states with our impressions of all of them. And then I came down with COVID (managed to avoid it for 2 whole years!) and had extra bonus time on my hands, as well as some delirious moments under medication. Which meant that I added a haiku on each state, because what the heck. So here you go. Enjoy!

While compiling this list, it amazed me to see how many places still felt under-explored to me. It just goes to show that you can’t possibly do everything.

Alabama: Well, I can’t give you much guidance here. We’re off to a great start, aren’t we? We stopped in a parking lot just off the interstate to make PB&J sandwiches for lunch. I can definitively state that the parking lot was paved and spaces were well-marked.

Oh, Alabama
I’m sure there is great stuff here
We drove straight on through.

Alaska: Mile for mile, Alaska probably has the most beautiful scenery in the country. Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by mountains, fjords and wildlife. Even if the weather turns gray (which it often does), that does nothing to hamper the beauty. It feels like a true wilderness adventure. I’d love to go back.

Spectacular sights
And a brewpub in each town
Could this be heaven?

Arizona: The Grand Canyon is going to get all the press, and deservedly so. A photo can’t really capture the scope of it. I think it needs to be seen, and a visitor needs the experience of driving for miles along the edge just to get a taste of how far it goes in order to truly grasp the wonder of the place. I would also put in a plug for the red rocks of Sedona as being well worth a visit.

Come to the desert
See the big hole in the ground
Enjoy the dry heat.

Arkansas: In retrospect, I think we chose the stops poorly in planning our road trip here. We visited Hot Springs National Park mostly out of a desire to check off another national park on the list, but knowing that it was basically a collection of turn-of-the-century spas for rich people should have been an indication that it was not going to be my cup of tea. And attempting to dig in Crater of Diamonds with 4 kids, no tools and 95-degree heat was just asking for a rough afternoon. If I went back I’d probably try to explore more to the mountains of the north.

Digging for diamonds
With nothing but paper cups
Is a dumb idea.

California: It’s such a big state, and we still have much more to explore. But I would venture to say that our 1-week visit over spring break in 2019 was one of our favorite trips we’ve ever taken. San Francisco, the Monterey Peninsula, and Sequoia were all wonderful places to visit. And of course I will never forget the first time we laid eyes on Tunnel View in Yosemite. Staying in the valley there was pretty magical for all of us.

Yosemite – wow!
Spring break was the perfect time
To see waterfalls.

Colorado: Another state that, like Alaska, has eye candy as far as you want to go. As long as you stay in the western part of the state, that is. We loved the endless Rocky Mountains and getting the chance to drive up to the top of Pikes Peak. Rocky Mountain National Park is another prime spot deserving of a repeat visit. We left some meat on the bone here, as the southwestern part of the state has some attractions we’d like to visit.

I would gladly spend
A lot more time here, unless
It’s Denver traffic.

Connecticut: This is one of the states that has been more of a “drive-through” state than an actual destination for us. We’ve been through often on the way to visit my brother in New Hampshire. I can say that we had some excellent pizza in New Haven and felt at least 10% smarter when wandering the campus of Yale University.

There is just one thing
I can say for sure: I miss
The Hartford Whalers.

Delaware: Home sweet home. I know, Delaware is basically paradise on earth, and why would we ever want to leave to explore anywhere else? Well, it’s mostly to confirm how inferior the rest of the country is. I mean, I get it—not everyone can have tax-free shopping or access to the greatest Philly cheesesteaks on the planet or even the world’s greatest convenience store. So they have to make do with whatever meager pleasures can be found in things that Delaware doesn’t offer, such as mountains, waterfalls, exotic wildlife, major cities, professional sports teams, elevation changes, world-class resorts, and amusement parks. Those poor souls!

You can drive across
The whole state in ten minutes
But it’s still our home.

Florida: When we think of Florida, we all think Disney, Disney, Disney. Which is to be expected, given that this is a Disney message board. And sure, Disney will probably always be the biggest draw for us. But I have to also give special shout-outs to the Kennedy Space Center, which never fails to be interesting, and the Gulf Coast. We were not expecting the beaches near Pensacola to be so beautiful, but we ended up being really glad we stopped to dip our toes in the Gulf of Mexico there.

The real question is
Can we go and skip Disney?
The answer is no.

Georgia: The majority of our time in this state was spent in Atlanta, where we explored the Georgia Aquarium and visited the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. I don’t regret going to either one of those places—they were both well worth the time spent. But my personal favorite visit to Georgia was the Masters tournament in Augusta in 2010. That may end up being a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Georgia on my mind
At least for the purposes
Of this dumb haiku.

Hawaii: Another family favorite! I think the biggest impression we have of Hawaii is the amazing amount of diverse landscapes and environments that are packed into such small areas on the islands. You can see everything from beaches to mountains to active volcanoes to farms and cities, all just by driving a few miles. I love the way the mountains and cliffs dive straight into the oceans. Truly an amazing, beautiful place. A bucket-list destination for sure.

Exotic and lush
I never wanted to leave
And they have Dole Whips!

Idaho: The coolest thing we did in Idaho was hike through a lava tube/cave in Craters of the Moon National Monument. What I learned from this experience is that if you ever have the opportunity to hike a lava tube, you should take it. There is a great deal of beautiful mountain scenery in the northern part of the state, but we simply drove through it. Maybe we’ll explore more someday.

Who would have thought we’d
Find a lava tube out here
Unexpected fun

Illinois: The city of Chicago is probably the star of the show here, although I’m sure some of the state’s residents might argue with me about that one. But Chicago is where we spent most of our time, and it’s such a neat city to explore. We loved walking through Wrigley Field, and Julie and I were surprisingly fascinated with an architecture tour we took on the river years ago. Our favorite spot was the Museum of Science and Industry—easily our favorite museum in the country.

Only one museum
Has a real U-boat downstairs
The home of Da Bears

Indiana: Indiana is referred to as a “flyover” state, by which people mean that it’s not a destination but a state you travel by as you head for more interesting destinations. I can’t say that we disproved that notion, but we had fun when the kids were little at the Indianapolis Children’s museum. And we have several great friends who live there and are willing to spend time with us, so that speaks to either their friendliness or judgment.

The greatest movie
Named its hero after them
How bad can it be?

Iowa: And now we reach the first state on the list that got no respect in our travels. We crossed a pedestrian bridge from Omaha, Nebraska into Iowa in order to officially set foot in the state and claim credit for having “visited”. In fairness, I visited Des Moines for a business conference once. I landed on a Sunday afternoon and the city was so deserted, I had to call Julie to make sure the Zombie Apocalypse hadn’t taken place while I was in the air. And I drove through as a kid once and saw four hours of corn.

Corn corn corn corn corn
Corn corn corn corn corn corn corn
There’s just so much corn.

Kansas: Another one where we barely crossed the border. We at least spent more time here than we did in Iowa, visiting one of the DIS Dads and having a KC BBQ taste test, which was highly enjoyable. But I can’t exactly give you in-depth tips for visiting here, either.

Driving here is dull
But KC smoked meat is great!
That’s worth the visit

Kentucky: Mammoth Cave National Park is worthy of a visit, but we were really surprised how much we liked the city of Louisville. It’s right on the Ohio River and there are several nice parks along the waterfront, as well as a former railroad bridge you can walk across. The Louisville Slugger Factory is a lot of fun to visit, and they promise to have a personalized bat ready for you by the end of the tour if you order one at the beginning. Special shout-out to the Louisville Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen.

You know what’s funny?
We never had fried chicken
Pie and ice cream though…

Louisiana: Our time here was concentrated in the city of New Orleans, which most people would consider to be a desirable place to visit. We all have mixed feelings, though. We certainly enjoyed the beignets, the architecture of the French Quarter, and the music spilling out of every doorway. But there was something off-putting here as well that I can’t quite put my finger on. I think we probably had more encounters with people who were a little “off” than in any other place, which made for a weird vibe. I know for a fact that Scotty didn’t enjoy meeting the aggressive panhandlers.

I’m taking points off
For Drew Brees and his stupid
Points Bet commercials.

Maine: Maine is another state where Julie and I have more experience to draw on than the kids, since we toured Acadia National Park way back in the dark ages when we first got married. That remains my favorite part of the state. Otherwise, the most notable thing we did here was visit the giant flagship L.L. Bean store, which is nice, but not exactly something you’d plan a trip around. Acadia is one place I’d like to get the kids to.

We saw no moose, but
For flannel shirts and canoes
It’s one-stop shopping.

Maryland: I don’t really ever plan trips to Maryland, since it’s our next-door neighbor and we cross the border regularly. For Delaware residents, it’s just kinda there (and I’m sure they feel the same way about us). We have had some enjoyable times at the beach in Ocean City, and it’s fun to visit Baltimore and go to the aquarium or Orioles games near the Inner Harbor.

I never realized it:
The Baltimore Orioles
Are worse than my teams.

Massachusetts: One place that was on our list of potential places to visit was Cape Cod, as we could have explored the history of some of the earliest visitors to the U.S. But we never made it there in our travels. Boston is a neat city to visit with a lot of its own history, though. We walked the Freedom Trail and visited Old Ironsides, but if you asked the boys they’d say the Fenway Park tour was their favorite.

Still hard to fathom
How a city speaks without
Using letter R.

Michigan: Another state that feels under-explored to me. We didn’t make it to the scenic Upper Peninsula, which is definitely on my list. It’s funny to see how many holes still exist in our U.S. resume,let alone the rest of the world. Anyway, we had a nice time swimming in Lake Michigan at Benton Harbor and visited the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor on our grand college tour for David.

We looked at college
But it would cost arms and legs
And Harbaugh don’t win.

Minnesota: We got a bit cheated on Minnesota. This was the trip where our original flight was cancelled due to storms and we ended up flying out two days later than we’d planned. We missed out on a Twins baseball game and Voyageurs National Park, which seems like a pretty big deal. However, we did get to see the giant Paul Bunyan statue in Bemidji and I got a Bemidji State University (BSU) coffee mug. So we’ve got that going for us, which is nice. We also saw the headwaters of the Mississippi River, which may have been slightly more significant.

Need a do-over
But we can say we walked ‘cross
The Mississippi.

Mississippi: We drove through the state. Twice! And we did stop at the Memphis Barbecue Company in Horn Lake, MS for dinner once and enjoyed it quite a bit. So that’s our total experience. I will say that from visiting the Gulf Coast in Florida, I’d bet that the Gulf Coast beaches here are probably underrated as well.

No fancy tourist
Destinations, but at least
They had barbecue.

Missouri: We drove end-to-end between the two major cities here, Kansas City and St. Louis. I’ve already mentioned Kansas City a bit, mostly for the BBQ. But they also had a great WWI museum and we got to eat at a place that delivered our food via model train, which was unique and great fun. St. Louis made for a fun visit as well, as we were all fascinated by the design and engineering it took to build the famous Jefferson Memorial Arch. Most of us enjoyed the ride to the top as well.

Arch elevator.
Ingenious or frightening?
Hard to decide.

(continued next post)

50 States Quick Reference Guide, continued

Montana
: This is such a huge state, with so much ground to cover it would take weeks to explore it all. We spent our time in Glacier National Park, which is just so much eye candy. This would rank high on places we’d like to go back and explore more. There are so many beautiful hikes in the mountains, and a short warm season to get it all accomplished. I can understand why the one Russian character in The Hunt for Red October asked, “Do you think they will let me live in Montana?”

Going-to-the-sun
Such a captivating drive
But get up early.

Nebraska: And now we reach another Great Plains state, or as we refer to them in our family: Pick Your Poison. They’re all huge. They’re all flat and featureless. If you’re going to drive across them, there’s really nothing to save you here. Except in the town of Alliance—there was Carhenge. So there’s that.

So much ground covered
And the only thing we saw:
Piles of junky cars.

Nevada: Your enjoyment of this state will depend largely on your tolerance for Sin City. We found Las Vegas to be a nice starting point for cheap flights and for exploring the area, but maybe not the most family-friendly destination. I would give major points for the Hoover Dam tour, however, which was a fascinating look at so much dam machinery and operations.

Welcome to Vegas
So much to see everywhere
But, kids—don’t look there!

New Hampshire: This is one of the states we’ve visited multiple times thanks to my brother taking up residence there. But besides family, the reason to visit lies to the north: the White Mountains. Such a beautiful area to drive through and hike. We were fortunate enough to hike the Flume Gorge area in winter and got to see the waterfall frozen, which was well worth the effort it took to get there. It’s a place that has something to offer in all 4 seasons.

The White Mountains
Apologies to my bro—
They’re the attraction.

New Jersey: Ok, this is the state everyone craps on. Traffic is awful, the drivers are nuts, and it seems like the entire northern half of the state is paved, with one town running into the next with no idea where one begins and another ends. But surely there’s something nice to be found here, right?
Right?
Well, our friends took us to their family’s beach condo in Sea Isle City a few times for long weekends. That was nice.

We have one question.
The Sopranos—was it a
Documentary?

New Mexico: We explored Carlsbad Caverns here in the southeastern part of the state, as well as Guadalupe Mountains National Park on the border between NM and Texas. I don’t think either would rate as the most spectacular parks we’ve ever visited, but they were certainly worth seeing. There’s definitely much more to this state we have yet to discover.

We explored the cave
Saw no bats whatsoever
What did we do wrong?

New York: New York City is of course the big draw here and happens to be the place where my family has spent the most time. We’ve had a few other excursions here and there—we visited a small museum in Albany and the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown—but the Big Apple seems to be the most memorable part so far. That may have something to do with being fortunate enough to see Hamilton on Broadway. Someday I’d love to explore the Finger Lakes region of the state.

This place is so big
It’s a nice place to visit
And then go back home

North Carolina: North Carolina is a state of great variety, which makes it very appealing to me. Depending on the part of the state you want to explore, you can see mountains (the Smokies), beaches (the Outer Banks) or even urban areas (the Triangle, Charlotte). We’ve enjoyed every part we’ve visited. They’re even home to my favorite golf course (Tobacco Road).

Lots of things to see
And I-95 goes right
On by all of them.

North Dakota: Another Great Plains state. Man, that was a boring drive. But I can tell you that there’s a good bratwurst place in Fargo (Wurst Bier Hall) on the east end of the state, and a nice national park (Theodore Roosevelt NP) on the west end. And nothing in between.

We drove for five hours
And in all of that painful
Drive there were no curves.

Ohio: We’ve made a few stops here over the years, helped by the fact that my brother lived in the Toledo area for a couple of years as well as a visit to the University of Cincinnati when my daughter was researching schools. Highlights included the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and the best ribs I’ve ever tasted at the Montgomery Inn at the Boathouse in Cincinnati.

It was great to see
Eagles championship films
At the Hall of Fame.

Oklahoma: Well, you might remember the story here. We gave Oklahoma the single-worst treatment of all the 50 states. We were there long enough to cross the border and pee on the side of the road. So if you need to do that, Oklahoma is as good a place as any! That’s about all I got for ya.

It’s a fact of life:
When you really gotta go,
Hey…you gotta go.

Oregon: Oregon is a beautiful state. So is the rest of the Pacific Northwest, for that matter. We found ourselves surprised by beautiful places we didn’t necessarily expect going in—we all greatly enjoyed the Japanese garden in Portland, and the city of Bend is in a gorgeous area in the shadow of the mountains. The boys and I loved playing golf in the twilight hours with the mountains looming over us. And we didn’t even get to the Pacific coast, which is also supposed to be amazing here.

You’ve never seen a
Blue as deep as the color
Found in Crater Lake.

Pennsylvania: I have to admit to some bias here, because this is the state that produced my wife. It is also the home of my favorite sports teams. But there’s a lot of great stuff to see here. We’ve really enjoyed getting to know the city of Philadelphia inside and out since my daughter started going to school there. You can enjoy the big cities like Philly and Pittsburgh or get away to the Pocono mountains or Amish country. Again, it’s a neighboring state so we don’t necessarily plan grand adventures here, but we do go often.

The Turnpike is boring
And my teams are terrible
But we love Philly.

Rhode Island: At last, a state that is smaller than Delaware! It’s the only one, actually. So it’s the only one I can make fun of for being tiny. We explored the city of Newport several years ago, which is known for a) beautiful views along the Atlantic coast, and b) mansions owned by the obscenely rich. We enjoyed wandering here while wondering the whole time if someone was going to kick us out.

The sheer amount of
Wealthy people per acre
Must be staggering.

South Carolina: We’ve spent quite a bit of time in South Carolina over the years—most of it on the coast with various stops at Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Disney’s Hilton Head Resort. We must really love it there since we keep going back. The tourist brochures call out the “low country” almost as a cliche, but there’s something about the palmetto trees and Spanish moss…yeah, it’s a good vibe.

We spent so much time
At the beach and playing golf
Of course I love it!

South Dakota: Of all the Great Plains states, this one is at least rescued by having the Black Hills as a destination. Thank goodness, there’s plenty there that is interesting to visitors: two caves, Mount Rushmore, Badlands NP, and the Minuteman Missile NHS. That area single-handedly saved the state from being forgotten along with all of the other long drives through nowhere…

Visit the Black Hills
Unfortunately you have
To drive to get there.

Tennessee: Tennessee is a fun state to visit. It has music, history and mountain scenery. What’s not to like? We greatly enjoyed the Smoky Mountains, so much so that we went twice. Chattanooga is a fun city to explore, and if I can cheat a bit, I got to wander through Nashville on a business trip and really loved all the music acts coming from every bar and restaurant.

The Smoky Mountains
Gorgeous but packed with people
Make sure you Rope Drop.

Texas: We’re all familiar with the phrase “everything is bigger in Texas” and…well, I gotta say, the shoe fits. The state itself is massive. Everything really feels outsized, whether it’s the drives, cities, food portions, opinions, you name it. We found that although it was hard to get to, Big Bend National Park was well worth the effort to see—especially in April, when the wildflowers were blooming. San Antonio was a nice city, and we really loved trying so many great BBQ joints…or at least I did.

Barbecue is great
Big Bend is an oasis
Dallas Cowboys—ew.

Utah: I feel like Utah gets underrated when people talk about the great tourist attractions in the U.S. You hear about Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Disney, New York, Southern California…but nobody really brings up Utah. However, Utah is spectacular. The “big 5” national parks (Bryce Canyon, Zion, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands) are all stunning. It’s really a bounty of riches for the traveler seeking amazing scenery.

Red rock everywhere
Bryce Canyon was a favorite
I want to go back.

Vermont: It’s a small state, but it packs a punch in offering the Green Mountains, fall color, winter skiing, and excellent maple syrup. Not to mention some really cool covered bridges and the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream factory. We found a nice little getaway spot in the mountain town of Stowe that led to some beautiful drives along mountain streams.

Ben & Jerry’s
Gives free samples on the tour
Sometimes weird flavors.

Virginia: You don’t realize how big of a state Virginia actually is until you have to drive across it lengthwise, as we’ve done a couple of times throughout our travels. But a large state usually has a lot to offer, whether it’s the history of colonial Williamsburg or the beautiful hikes and views of Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is definitely the state for Revolutionary War history buffs.

In old Williamsburg
You learn details and details…
I left to play golf.

Washington: Absolutely loved our time there. Seattle was a fun city to visit, especially since the Blue Angels were visiting at the same time. Olympic National Park was fascinating with all of the various ecosystems present in one place, and Mount Rainier looked like the gateway to heaven with wildflowers in full bloom. A beautiful state.

It rains for nine months
But not while we were out there
Okay, maybe once.

West Virginia: Another state that is the butt of a lot of jokes, but at least this one has some nice mountain scenery. We haven’t done a ton of exploring here, but did enjoy the New River Gorge National Park and the tiny historic town of Harper’s Ferry, which is in a gorgeous spot at the confluence of two rivers and offers a wonderful hike with a great payoff in the view overlooking the town.

One thing Julie found
While visiting in this state:
She can’t stand ski lifts.

Wisconsin: Land of beer and cheese! What more could you want? As tourist destinations go, Wisconsin isn’t really going to measure up to some of the other states. We spent half our time here visiting friends and driving around on their farm tractors. Not saying we didn’t enjoy it. And we got to tour historic Lambeau Field, which was also memorable. One reason to come back for me: for some reason, they’ve built a lot of world-class golf resorts here.

No national parks
But one thing you can count on:
You’ll always eat well.

Wyoming: Last but not least, Wyoming is a very large state without very many people in it. It contains huge spaces of…not much in particular. But two points of interest bump it way up the rankings: Devil’s Tower in the northeast and the formidable one-two punch of Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP in the northwest. The entire Jackson Hole area is stunning and makes me want to go back again and again. Staying in the historic Old Faithful Inn was a special memory for us.

Come for the mountains
And the geysers and hot springs
But ignore the smell.

Fantastic list! Loved it, and the haikus were great.

I hope that you are recovering well and the rest of the family were either spared or are recovered, too.

Looking forward to the family input post(s)!

Great list, Mark! Enjoyed the whole thing. Won't comment on every State (was that a sigh of relief I just heard?) but a few things that stood out...

I decided to try and put together a quick guide to the states with our impressions of all of them.
Really appreciate (and enjoyed!) that.
And then I came down with COVID (managed to avoid it for 2 whole years!)
You and me both... Dunno about you, but I kinda feel like "I was this close to not catching it!"
and had extra bonus time on my hands, as well as some delirious moments under medication. Which meant that I added a haiku on each state, because what the heck. So here you go. Enjoy!
Haikus while delirious... this oughta be good.
Mile for mile, Alaska probably has the most beautiful scenery in the country. Everywhere you go, you are surrounded by mountains, fjords and wildlife. Even if the weather turns gray (which it often does), that does nothing to hamper the beauty. It feels like a true wilderness adventure.
Can't wait. :)
I will never forget the first time we laid eyes on Tunnel View in Yosemite.
::yes:: I remember how you described that. You were pretty effusive.
Home sweet home. I know, Delaware is basically paradise on earth, and why would we ever want to leave to explore anywhere else? Well, it’s mostly to confirm how inferior the rest of the country is. I mean, I get it—not everyone can have tax-free shopping or access to the greatest Philly cheesesteaks on the planet or even the world’s greatest convenience store. So they have to make do with whatever meager pleasures can be found in things that Delaware doesn’t offer, such as mountains, waterfalls, exotic wildlife, major cities, professional sports teams, elevation changes, world-class resorts, and amusement parks. Those poor souls!
:laughing:
Let your bias glow!
You can drive across
The whole state in ten minutes
I pretty much did that... north to south.
But my personal favorite visit to Georgia was the Masters tournament in Augusta in 2010. That may end up being a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Remember that one as well. ::yes::
Our favorite spot was the Museum of Science and Industry—easily our favorite museum in the country.
::yes:: That place was amazing... and I didn't see all of it.
Only one museum
Has a real U-boat downstairs
:thumbsup2
Indiana is referred to as a “flyover” state, by which people mean that it’s not a destination but a state you travel by as you head for more interesting destinations.
Disagree... It's a destination when the Indy 500 is happening.
Done that twice.
Corn corn corn corn corn
Corn corn corn corn corn corn corn
There’s just so much corn.
:lmao:
And now we reach another Great Plains state, or as we refer to them in our family: Pick Your Poison. They’re all huge. They’re all flat and featureless.
Try living here.
We found Las Vegas to be a nice starting point for cheap flights and for exploring the area, but maybe not the most family-friendly destination.
:rolleyes1
We explored Carlsbad Caverns
Pretty high on my bucket list as I've heard about it since forever.
North Dakota: Another Great Plains state. Man, that was a boring drive.
Ya don't say... :faint:
But I can tell you that there’s a good bratwurst place in Fargo (Wurst Bier Hall)
::yes::
We drove for five hours
And in all of that painful
Drive there were no curves.
:laughing: That's true!
Oklahoma: Well, you might remember the story here. We gave Oklahoma the single-worst treatment of all the 50 states. We were there long enough to cross the border and pee on the side of the road.
::yes:: I do remember that.
we all greatly enjoyed the Japanese garden in Portland,
That place was wonderful. :)
At last, a state that is smaller than Delaware! It’s the only one, actually. So it’s the only one I can make fun of for being tiny.
:laughing:
Visit the Black Hills
Unfortunately you have
To drive to get there.
:laughing: True! But... it's been many decades since I was last there. Hoping to fix that.
West Virginia: Another state that is the butt of a lot of jokes,
Why? I did not know this.
One thing Julie found
While visiting in this state:
She can’t stand ski lifts.
eep! Not a good thing to find out since once you're on... you ain't getting off... and then (typically, unless you ski) have to ride it again on the way down.
Devil’s Tower in the northeast
Very, very high on my bucket list, thanks to seeing a certain movie (twice! in the theater) when I was a kid.

Wyoming: Last but not least,

Wait... what about Guam? Puerto Rico? American Samoa? US Virgin Islands? Northern Mariana Islands? (Did not know about that last one actually, until I googled.) What kind of an incomplete list is this????

Arkansas: In retrospect, I think we chose the stops poorly in planning our road trip here.
Don't you do all the planning? :rolleyes1

Great reading the recap and remembering reading about some of the fun stories of the original trip reports.

Your state travel TR's have really inspired us to get out and travel now rather than just plan 'someday in retirement'. We have a beautiful map hanging on our wall that we regularly look at and plan the 'next' road trip!

Fantastic list! Loved it, and the haikus were great.

I hope that you are recovering well and the rest of the family were either spared or are recovered, too.

Looking forward to the family input post(s)!
Thanks! I was hoping you guys would have fun with it.

It was just Julie and me. The kids never got it. We're thankful for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter