The first time we watched HEA...is it all about location?

LovePug

DIS Veteran
I've been wondering since our last trip...It was our first time seeing HEA and I didn't really enjoy it and I'm a huge fireworks fan. I would would watch WISHES every trip and loved it! We watched HEA from the walkway from the Terrace to Tomorrowland. Was that our problem with why I didn't get much out of it? Debating if we should give it another shot from a different location, or if maybe it's just not for me.

I've been wondering since our last trip...It was our first time seeing HEA and I didn't really enjoy it and I'm a huge fireworks fan. I would would watch WISHES every trip and loved it! We watched HEA from the walkway from the Terrace to Tomorrowland. Was that our problem with why I didn't get much out of it? Debating if we should give it another shot from a different location, or if maybe it's just not for me.

Could you see the projections on the castle from where you were? I think the projections for HEA are an integral part to the whole show. They give a nuance to the fireworks just like the music does.

i watched it 4x this past summer. 2x in front of the Hub, 1x at the flagpole on Main st., and 1x near the Plaza restaurant. i personally say YES it's all about location. the vibe of the crowd right near the castle can't be beat. everyone is into the show and cheering and loving it. at the flagpole, it was a different view, but the crowd didn't seem nearly as excited. my friends and i felt a little out of place that time lol. near the plaza restaurant was the worst of my viewings because it was obstructed viewing and the particular crowd around us was so rude to cast members and others. i'm a huge fan of watching dead center in front of the Hub at the castle!!

To me, I think the first time you see it, to fully appreciate it, yes it needs to be viewed from the front. After that, to me, it can thoroughly be enjoyed from anywhere. It is by faaaar my favorite thing at WDW right now, by a landslide. The story is perfect, but the projections are integral in getting the full story.

We've seen it from Main St a couple of times and like you I just don't love it as much as Wishes. The last few times we have ridden Dumbo during the show and watched from New Fantasyland and I honestly prefer that, even without the projections.

I still have the CD soundtrack from Wishes. I like to stick it in the player here at the house every once in a while. My oldest always gets excited when she hears the theme song. I like HEA. I think the projections are awesome...but also a bit distracting. I struggle with watching them instead of the beautiful sky bombs going off over head. LOL We always either watch it from the hub, or with the party viewing though.

Not a big projection fan. We enjoyed the fireworks and music from behind the castle last November. For us, not dealing with the crowds and chaos in the hub or on Main Street far outweighs getting to see the projections.

I saw HEA for the 1st time from an area near Crystal Palace. I'm not sure if it was the small altercation we got in with another guest who shoved her way in front of us and claimed because she had dined at the restaurant it meant her stroller was her 'spot' for the show or if it was because we had an somewhat obstructed view from the trees but I only thought it was OK too.

I'm not a huge fan of the projection shows because I think location has a lot to do with how much you enjoy it.

From now on we'll catch the fireworks from Tomorrowland or Fantasyland - we won't see the castle but we don't have to fight the crowds or deal with drama.

Also not fond of projections, so we like any fireworks show equally from any less crowded location. However, if you want to see the projection on the castle, then front and centre would make a difference, I suppose. Personally, I would rather just watch TV than projections on a castle or any other object. A plain screen is better for projections, IMO, but that would be pretty lame for WDW for a major show.

Also not fond of projections, so we like any fireworks show equally from any less crowded location. However, if you want to see the projection on the castle, then front and centre would make a difference, I suppose. Personally, I would rather just watch TV than projections on a castle or any other object. A plain screen is better for projections, IMO, but that would be pretty lame for WDW for a major show.

We, too! We love sitting on the deck at Trader Sam's, have appetizers and beverages as the Electric Water Pageant passes by before the MK fireworks start. They pipe in the music. We don't see the projections, but we are comfy and don't have to deal with crowds either.

Thanks for the input. Christmas parties will be happening during our next trip, but I am finally purchasing hoppers so I have flexibility. I will probably play it by ear on whether to hop to MK to see HEA again because I'm pretty sure we will do MK on a party day (it's a long way off, but I just can't help myself making tentative plans:surfweb: .)

HEA just doesn't cut it for me - there's no emotional connection for me like Wishes had. Wishes didn't NEED projections - it was about the music and the fireworks - the projections were side part of the experience.

In general - yes - HEA is a MUCH, MUCH better show if you are in the center of the Hub and can clearly see the projections. Too far away or at an angle - the show loses its appeal fast. I think with Disney is relying too much on the projections - and not enough on the music and fireworks for ALL of their night shows right now. The 1st Star Wars show at HS was better, too, and when they moved to that one relying more on the projections - it also decreased its appeal to me. And it's why I don't love Fantasmic or ROL, too.

Here's hoping retro night shows return at some point!

The 1st Star Wars show at HS was better, too, and when they moved to that one relying more on the projections - it also decreased its appeal to me. And it's why I don't love Fantasmic or ROL, too.

Here's hoping retro night shows return at some point!

I watched the Star Wars show during the last trip and I also didn't enjoy that one. Maybe I, like you, am just not a projections fan. 🤷‍♀️

I absolutely love HEA. The dessert party is our must do splurge of every trip. I am a big fan of Disney movies, so maybe that's why I love it so much. When Tink flies I cry. Every. Single. Time.

I absolutely love HEA. The dessert party is our must do splurge of every trip. I am a big fan of Disney movies, so maybe that's why I love it so much. When Tink flies I cry. Every. Single. Time.
I don't cry, I bawl. Like a baby. How people don't get any emotion at that part I'll never understand. The lyrics are absolutely perfect for that moment.
Far more emotional than any part of Wishes.

Love this question.

First time I saw it was at the dessert party garden spot. Location was great but I didn’t enjoy the show as much as I would have liked. I felt the sound was a little low and I concentrated on the projections.

Then the second time I saw it at the top of the contemporary at the California grill. There the music was pipped in super loud and you saw the firework experience.

It was amazing and beautiful. Much more emotional for me.

I've only seen Wishes a few times, so I never really developed any nostalgia for it. I was blown away when I saw HEA the first time and I tear up just thinking about it! I think the projections are a major part of it, and if you haven't seen them before you will miss out on a big aspect of the show. We have never had any trouble squeezing into a spot in the Hub right before it starts, but we don't go during busy times and it's just two of us so not hard to get a spot. I think it's a very much a preference thing, as I don't love just plain fireworks that much and the music and projections make HEA very special to me. Now I will probably have the same nostalgia as the Wishes folks on the day that HEA gets the boot! :hyper:

We didn't care for it at all and won't bother again with it. I don't like the projections, they are too distracting for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter