The (Foodie)Force is Strong with Us...a Feb/Mar 2016 trip! THE END - NEW 9/13 Disneyland TR link!

Haha another WDW for December? :earseek:wow :rotfl:

Yup...I'll probably post more about it in my TR for Disneyland. I got annual passes last month and thought it would be cool to use them for the first time in Dec. We've never seen the holiday decorations before. We're staying at the Dolphin using points, and I got free flights, so this is in reality, a "budget" trip as I only have to pay for transportation and meals. Thank goodness as I've already blown this year's travel budget out of the water plus we still have a trip to Hawaii in November...LOL.

Looks like you had a fantastic trip! It was fun following along on Instagram, your pics were so much fun.

100% agree with you about Radiator Springs Racers! Best ride ever.

What are your dates for your December trip?

I love how DL and DW are different enough so that there are special things about both. Can't wait for the TR to begin!

Last edited:

Oh man, you are my travel God! er.....Goddess :worship:

Oh look who's talking! Maui, Disney, 2 cruises...I think it should be the other way around! :cutie:

Looks like you had a fantastic trip! It was fun following along on Instagram, your pics were so much fun.

100% agree with you about Radiator Springs Racers! Best ride ever.

What are your dates for your December trip?

I love how DL and DW are different enough so that there are special things about both. Can't wait for the TR to begin!

Thanks! We had such a great time! Loved DLR and the rides were great.
I'm trying to figure out this photopass thing...we "borrowed" a friend's account since she has an annual pass for DL so gets the photopass pics. But it looks like I have to download them one by one. Yikes!

Our Dec dates are From Dec 2-7th! 5 nights at the Dolphin. Will you be there?

Thank you! These are the 60th Anniversary ears. I bought them on the last day of the celebration (our first day in the parks) and they said they were going to pull all the 60th merchandise after that day. So I bought them literally minutes before we entered Disneyland. But the next day, I still saw those ears everywhere. LOL. They had some 60th merchandise still left as well, they didn't pull everything, they just rearranged their displays haha. Maybe you could still find some on your trip!

I'm glad that you were able to still get a pair. I highly doubt they'll still be there during my trip since that won't be happening until next year. Guess I'll have to wait and see what ears WDW comes up with for their 50th. I'm really hoping to make it back there then.

Ahh, so much fun!

Can't wait to read about your trip, and I can't wait for February!

I'm going to have to get on my husband to get someone to cover his class on Friday though. It's looking like his schedule will end a bit later than this semester, and I want to make our dinner reservation and hang out with people!

I've been following on Instagram and it looks like you guys had a spectacular time :)

Ah, you're back! Like the list. I have got to get back out to DLR!

Looking forward to the full TR once you get started!

Thanks! We had a great time. It was definitely a little different than a WDW vacation but equally as fun.

I'm glad that you were able to still get a pair. I highly doubt they'll still be there during my trip since that won't be happening until next year. Guess I'll have to wait and see what ears WDW comes up with for their 50th. I'm really hoping to make it back there then.

Oh haha, I thought it was THIS year, LOL. I'd love to go to WDW for their 50th. I think that would be insane!

Ahh, so much fun!

Can't wait to read about your trip, and I can't wait for February!

Thanks! Me too, Feb is gonna be awesome! PS I just started the DLR TR, link will be in my next post!

I'm going to have to get on my husband to get someone to cover his class on Friday though. It's looking like his schedule will end a bit later than this semester, and I want to make our dinner reservation and hang out with people!

I hope it all works out! It'll be so much fun to meet!

I've been following on Instagram and it looks like you guys had a spectacular time :)

Thanks! We sure did but it was a non-stop trip!

SOOO excited to hear about DL! And very jealous you are going back to WDW before year end!

Thanks!! TR post to follow...and yeah can't believe I'm going back to WDW in December! It's a first for us to go back twice in one calendar year.

Hi Everyone! I just started my Disneyland TR! Here it is:

Bring Back Hyperspace Mountain! A September 2016 Disneyland Trip Report

I only have intros at this point but I'm gonna write more tonight!

Also, some of you already know but we're going to be going back to WDW this December!! Dec 2-7th to be exact. It's sort of a last minute trip (well, last minute for us) to see the holiday stuff since we've never experienced it before and also to celebrate DH's birthday which is in December. We have reservations for the Candlelight Processional on Dec 3rd (Whoopie Goldberg) and we're also going to eat at Via Napoli, California Grill (Brunch at the Top), Restaurant Marrakesh, and Yachtsman Steakhouse. We may also add a few others. Since I was booking well within the 6-month window I wasn't able to get Ohana or BoG, but that's ok, we're going to Disney World again!

This is a "budget" trip for us as I didn't anticipate going back to soon but since I purchased our annual passes, I thought, why not? Hehe. So we're using my Starwood points to stay at the Dolphin. I thought I only had enough points to stay 4 nights, but luckily Starwood allows SPG members to redeem 4 nights and get the 5th free! So that was some pretty awesome news! So 5 nights at the Dolphin, plus I had some credits with united airlines so I only had to pay about 30 bucks for our flights. That is a relief as I've spent so much this year on traveling! We also have a trip to Hawaii in November with some friends. Might do a mini-TR as part of my Disneyland TR too.

I've stayed at the Swan before, if you want to read my first ever trip report from 2009 you can find it in my signature. Boy, has my trip report writing gotten a whole lot better. When I re-read some of my older trip reports I kinda cringe. What was I saying?!?! Ha ha. I like the location of the Swan and Dolphin but we have to pay for transportation from/to the airport...oh and no magic bands, although I may get some collectible ones to use for this trip and the next year. :)

Anyone else going to be there at that time?

Welcome back! Also, congrats on booking the trip for December. I'll be interested to hear if you decide to get magic bands when staying at the Dolphin. I'm tentatively planning a trip for next year and I have a bunch of Starwood points to use too.

I'll be back to read more later, but wanted to let you know we arrive on the 7th! Not sure what time you head out, but we get in a bit after 1pm.

Our flight is in the evening - I think at around 7:30 or so, so we may have a few hours overlapping! We'll probably be in Epcot on our last day. I hope we get to meet up!

Welcome back! Also, congrats on booking the trip for December. I'll be interested to hear if you decide to get magic bands when staying at the Dolphin. I'm tentatively planning a trip for next year and I have a bunch of Starwood points to use too.

Thanks!! I'm probably getting magic bands...or else I'll just reuse the ones from earlier this year, but since they do expire (I think a year from when you first use it?) I may just buy new ones. Now to find the perfect one...hmmm. I think staying at the Dolphin and Swan is great. It's more cost-effective considering you can use and earn points with SPG...just no Magical Express, and I don't' think you can do the dining plan (which we don't usually do anyways). I will miss using a magic band to open my room door though...it's nice not to have to remember where you put your key card. I seem to lose mine all the time. I do love the location. I remember it being so cool to walk to DHS and Epcot.

Welcome back - looking forward to reading your report! We grew up going to DL given that we lived in Oregon, and we were last there this past April. Love the GC hotel! Also love the CA Adventure park there and of course Cars Land and the Radiator Springs ride there. I also love the theming of that park around the area of Soarin' and the nature trail and water ride that all make you feel like you are in a national park. I will agree that it seems more crowded though and they have a lot more locals making up the crowds there. In the end we do prefer WDW for the immersive Disney experience.

Your DLR trip and next WDW trip sound exciting. I can't wait to read your DLR report. Awesome job on getting such a deal on the WDW December vacation! We will be there in December, but alas, it's the end of December. We haven't seen the xmas stuff either and will have just enough days to do it. Whoopie sounds good for the Candlelight Processional. It's still going on when we will be there, but it wasn't someone I cared to hear. Not being overly religious, I only wanted to go if it was someone I liked doing the readings. Maybe another time.

1) DLR was much more crowded. We've been to WDW and now DLR during labor day week and DLR felt more crowded whereas WDW was pretty light. Granted DLR is a smaller park but I was expecting much lighter crowds during the weekdays. I guess school hasn't started for a good portion of kids yet!
We were there in February and it didn't feel terribly crowded to me - of course, I'd heard about it being crowded, so maybe my expectations were low.

2) I liked the compactness of DLR and how easy it is to walk from park to park and to DTD.
My favorite part!

At DLR I found I was using cash a lot as when paying by credit card, they check your ID for everything, including a coffee at Starbucks, and I always seemed to misplace it in my wallet or bag, so I just used cash for smaller purchases as it was easier.
Hmmm, interesting. We used Disney Gift Cards to pay for everything and I don't remember any ID checking that way (plus, you can buy them for 5% off at Target).

6) I am going to say it...like FP+ better than paper FP. DH is the opposite. He prefers to run and grab paper FP so he can ride everything multiple times. I realize there are benefits to that, but I also like being guaranteed a ride on something with an FP+ reservation.
I think there are pros and cons of both. I have to admit that I really enjoyed finding paper FP on the ground at Disneyland. :rolleyes1

9) My favorite regular ride out of the 2 parks is Radiator Springs Racers...it's soo much fun and beautifully themed. Makes Test Track seem like an afterthought..
Totally agree! I could ride it over and over and over! :car:

Hi Everyone! I just started my Disneyland TR! Here it is:

Bring Back Hyperspace Mountain! A September 2016 Disneyland Trip Report

I only have intros at this point but I'm gonna write more tonight!
Will head over there! Can't wait!

This is a "budget" trip for us as I didn't anticipate going back to soon but since I purchased our annual passes, I thought, why not? Hehe. So we're using my Starwood points to stay at the Dolphin. I thought I only had enough points to stay 4 nights, but luckily Starwood allows SPG members to redeem 4 nights and get the 5th free! So that was some pretty awesome news! So 5 nights at the Dolphin, plus I had some credits with united airlines so I only had to pay about 30 bucks for our flights. That is a relief as I've spent so much this year on traveling! We also have a trip to Hawaii in November with some friends. Might do a mini-TR as part of my Disneyland TR too.
Sounds like my style of travel! :thumbsup2 Also, definitely do a mini-TR on Hawaii!

Our flight is in the evening - I think at around 7:30 or so, so we may have a few hours overlapping! We'll probably be in Epcot on our last day. I hope we get to meet up!
Our plan is tentatively to head to DHS and do the Star Wars party that night. (And then possibly go over to Epcot to catch Illuminations, but you'll be gone by then). Maybe we can figure something out - it would be fun to meet up! :goodvibes

since they do expire (I think a year from when you first use it?)
They do? I've never heard of that and I've used old ones. Is this new? :confused3

I'm off to your DL trip report! Geez, I should get working on mine... My excuse is we had some things to plan/work on, and that's what I've been doing a lot lately...

Thanks so much for reading! I promise to start the next TR as soon as we get back! :thumbsup2
Wow a Disney cruise! That's awesome! I just love them! Are you going on the Magic?

We'll be on the Dream. I'm so excited - really, we both are. We wanted to go, but figured it wouldn't happen for several years.

Storyteller's Cafe, was bright and fun

I love Storytellers!

60th Anniversary ears

I bought those! They're my first ears!

I've stayed at the Swan before, if you want to read my first ever trip report from 2009
We're staying at the Dolphin using points, and I got free flights, so this is in reality, a "budget" trip as I only have to pay for transportation and meals.
I can't wait to hear what you think of the Dolphin, the differences, etc. I'm going to go read your Swan TR too. We are planning a small wedding down near Disney, and our honeymoon, and we got the SPG AMEX for the sign up bonus, so we'll be staying 5 or 6 days at the dolphin for free (well, except that $25 charge). I want to try and rent DVC at one of the Epcot area resorts for the rest of the time. I thought it would be really great to be able to walk into Epcot (and it should be during F&W), especially as a honeymoon activity - just wander, snack, drink, maybe just for a dinner... whatever. The free nights really help that budget though!

Welcome back - looking forward to reading your report! We grew up going to DL given that we lived in Oregon, and we were last there this past April. Love the GC hotel! Also love the CA Adventure park there and of course Cars Land and the Radiator Springs ride there. I also love the theming of that park around the area of Soarin' and the nature trail and water ride that all make you feel like you are in a national park. I will agree that it seems more crowded though and they have a lot more locals making up the crowds there. In the end we do prefer WDW for the immersive Disney experience.

Thanks!! I agree with everything you said! The GC was great and the CA park was awesome, we loved the themes. Sadly didn't get to go on the Grizzy Peak nature trail but we went on Soarin' many times!

Your DLR trip and next WDW trip sound exciting. I can't wait to read your DLR report. Awesome job on getting such a deal on the WDW December vacation! We will be there in December, but alas, it's the end of December. We haven't seen the xmas stuff either and will have just enough days to do it. Whoopie sounds good for the Candlelight Processional. It's still going on when we will be there, but it wasn't someone I cared to hear. Not being overly religious, I only wanted to go if it was someone I liked doing the readings. Maybe another time.

Thanks! Oh too bad we'll miss each other! I think you said you're spending NYE there? Good luck! I'm sure it'll be awesome!
I'm not sure who is doing the CP on the other days we are there, there was a TBD next to some of the dates and so far, only Whoopie as been assigned so I think we'll stick to that until they announce someone else whom we prefer.

We were there in February and it didn't feel terribly crowded to me - of course, I'd heard about it being crowded, so maybe my expectations were low.

I think we had residual crowds from the DL Marathon over labor day weekend, as well as the shortened hours. The days it opened at 10am just made it feel more crowded when entering the park. When the park opened at 8am it definitely felt less crowded and we were able to do a lot in a short amount of time.

My favorite part!

The convenience was awesome!

Hmmm, interesting. We used Disney Gift Cards to pay for everything and I don't remember any ID checking that way (plus, you can buy them for 5% off at Target).

True! I have done that but just applied it to my account and paid for everything with magic band or KTTW card on the cruise ships, but I guess I was expecting to do the same at DL resort but never really did.

I think there are pros and cons of both. I have to admit that I really enjoyed finding paper FP on the ground at Disneyland. :rolleyes1

funny! We never found FP on the ground!

Totally agree! I could ride it over and over and over! :car:

Such a good ride! Loved it!!

Sounds like my style of travel! :thumbsup2 Also, definitely do a mini-TR on Hawaii!

Thanks! Will do! :thumbsup2

Our plan is tentatively to head to DHS and do the Star Wars party that night. (And then possibly go over to Epcot to catch Illuminations, but you'll be gone by then). Maybe we can figure something out - it would be fun to meet up! :goodvibes

Cool! I'll definitely see if we can meet up. Maybe we'll head over to DHS as well. Are they offering the SW dessert party then? I hadn't seen notice of dates past October.

They do? I've never heard of that and I've used old ones. Is this new? :confused3

This was what I was told! I am not 100% sure about the expiration date but I guess I'll have to do some research. I think I just want to get myself a special magic band anyways...:rotfl:

I'm off to your DL trip report! Geez, I should get working on mine... My excuse is we had some things to plan/work on, and that's what I've been doing a lot lately...

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

We'll be on the Dream. I'm so excited - really, we both are. We wanted to go, but figured it wouldn't happen for several years.

That's great! You're going to have an awesome time! The cruises are really special. It's like Disney but...relaxing!

I love Storytellers!

It was a lot of fun and the food was pretty good!

I bought those! They're my first ears!

They are so cute! I love the baby blue color! I am not really an ears person. I wear them for a few hours then they annoy me. But I really liked these and it was worth the few hours of wearing it.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the Dolphin, the differences, etc. I'm going to go read your Swan TR too. We are planning a small wedding down near Disney, and our honeymoon, and we got the SPG AMEX for the sign up bonus, so we'll be staying 5 or 6 days at the dolphin for free (well, except that $25 charge). I want to try and rent DVC at one of the Epcot area resorts for the rest of the time. I thought it would be really great to be able to walk into Epcot (and it should be during F&W), especially as a honeymoon activity - just wander, snack, drink, maybe just for a dinner... whatever. The free nights really help that budget though!

That's great! The SPG card is the best way to earn those coveted Starwood points. I don't stay enough at hotels to earn enough points so the signup bonus is key. I really love the locations of the Epcot resorts, because Epcot is my favorite park! And entering from the WS is really nice as it's easy to eat around there. F and W is the best! I haven't been for a few years but it's one of my favorite times to go. I'm totally planning for next year. Wait, when are you getting married again?

We will be arriving 2 days after you in December! I also have scheduled the brunch at California grill and am so excited!!!!Cant wait to be back in Disney in December...doesn't it just feel extra magical!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter