The future of the Disney Store - a big mistake? What went wrong for the Disney Stores?

There is not a week that goes by that another major, long staying store chain is closing dozens of their stores.
It appears that Disney knew it was time to get out of the brink and mortor store business.

You only need to look over to the 'Disney Shopping News' thread on this board to see competing retail offerings. The licensing of merch is providing more revenue with less management woes per IP. The target of the store, in my opinion, was grandparents shopping for the dear granddaughter (DGD?) with princess stuff. No more grandkids, or decreasing number anyway, as well as changes in online purchasing doomed the store. What killed the Disney store? Changing demographics created confusion over what the retail shopper at a store was looking to purchase.

Actually, I often went to the Disney Store just for the vibe and a lot of times didn't buy anything, so I suspect I was part of the problem. I would pop by when I needed a Disney fix. That's what I miss the most, not being able to feel just the tiniest bit of the Magic by cruising over to the local mall.

When I would go to my Disney Store when it was in my mall the main audience of shoppers I would see would be parents with young children and sometimes teenagers with their little sisters/brothers but I rarely saw elderly people buying gifts for grandchildren and the merchandise that the people mainly bought were toys for their kids as birthday gifts and I couldn't figure out how my Disney Store in my mall got so much business from that audience and another thing that was a habit with my Disney Store was you used to be able to walk to the back of the store to look at their clearance section but since they added a section for special events like storytime they blocked the clearance section and you couldn't access it while a special event or storytime was in place. But when my mall had it's Disney Store it was next to Victoria's Secret and directly before it was The Children's Place and had my mall had put it on the other side of the mall it would've made more business. But what really surprised me about Disney Stores was their toy quality because the only toys that were good quality were their plushies but some of their dolls were poorly made and they looked very fragile and easy to break and if they had made good well made quality toys Disney Store could've improved their toys they would've stayed alive. But what I truly think we will see Disney Stores make a comeback into FAO Schwarz type stores and sell quality merchandise at good prices and it would be a worthy comeback indeed

were they losing money?

Honestly, it was a chance for us to get some disney magic when we werent at WDW. Our local store was at Concord Mills, and right down from the theatre at the mall. There were many times we'd take the kids to a movie, and then walk down to the Disney Store right after, and buy something from one of the movies.

My biggest beef with the stores, was that there wasnt enough adult things, like Disney art or more kitchen stuff.

were they losing money?

Honestly, it was a chance for us to get some disney magic when we werent at WDW. Our local store was at Concord Mills, and right down from the theatre at the mall. There were many times we'd take the kids to a movie, and then walk down to the Disney Store right after, and buy something from one of the movies.

My biggest beef with the stores, was that there wasnt enough adult things, like Disney art or more kitchen stuff.
Same, I would buy more stuff too. Because I could go to the store and look at clothes for example. Can't do that anymore cause I won't know if it will fit.

My Local Disney Store (about 2 hours away) is an outlet -- They don't get merch from new movies unless it's about 6 months later. 2 months after Turning Red came out, they didn't have any of the stuff, so I had to go online and order the giant mug.

I guess other stores would be more ... up to date, but it doesn't make me want to go.

Same, I would buy more stuff too. Because I could go to the store and look at clothes for example. Can't do that anymore cause I won't know if it will fit.
Exactly, and with the license being sold, quality is completely different with everything you buy. Nothing consistent buying online. An item from Target might be great, but buy it at Kolhs and it doesnt fit or feel the same.

The stores are not what they once were. The stores used to have items for the whole family. Now, it is all about princesses with a few things for boys.

As more Disney Stores come to a close and we're all left with shopDisney and mere concessions (and a few flagships/outlets), there are many questions as to what went wrong with the stores, and whether the closures were a huge mistake or just another product of the Retail Apocalypse.

Was there really anything wrong with the stores? From what I've noticed, there has been an imbalance in the range of merchandise the Disney Stores sold compared to the 1990s heyday, even after the 2000s nadir. Although there have been recent efforts to rectify that, most of the adult merchandise had more availability online than in the stores, which is unsurprising given that a lot of attention has, as of late, been shifted to shopDisney, while the physical stores save for the safe flagships ended up with such a raw deal. Not to mention that third party retailers have been making inroads into the ranges of merchandise the Disney Stores (and Parks) once had a monopoly over, which links into the same reasons as to why Toys R Us eventually collapsed when other retailers were diversifying into selling toys, which used to only make up one small section. However, the Disney Stores had a USP, and that USP was having unique customer service and interactivity, particularly with in-store events and celebrations that could not be replicated in, let's say a Target.

As for the closures, do I think it's a huge mistake? Yes, because I still feel that Disney could have done more to address the issues that have plagued the stores for years, and could have easily reinvigorated the most profitable stores to be more resilient and have a fair balance between children's merchandise and adult-oriented merchandise, not to mention a better synergy with shopDisney. However, I only hope that someday, the tide will turn against online, especially because I feel that the shift to online retail is having a detrimental effect on local economies and social lives.

Anyone else feel the same about the stores?
The stores certainly are different now. I used to love going in & they were playing scenes from the movies -- it felt like Disney magic was in that space.

There was a wide range of merch, all price points, for kids AND adults. Now it's just for certain lines (Star Wars, for example) & I'm more interested in the classic characters, old movies & the parks than the new films. All that isn't to say that I didn't go into the outlet & buy $90 worth of stuff (after Twice Upon a Year sale + Disney Visa discount) on stuff I absolutely did NOT need,but made me happy.

Closing physical stores seems financially smart to me. Physical retail hasn't done well in years--across the board. For some retailers, there are ways to fix this, and it is in their interest to do so. Disney, however, is probably better to save money on overhead of running physical locations outside of the parks. Shopping online is easy, often gives the buyer time to search for promos/coupons, and has the ability to offer a larger selection of items. Online only stores, heightens desire for buying items from the shops while in the park. It has a bit of an exclusivity effect. Better get it now, while I'm here touching it, otherwise I have to hope I can get it online, and then wait for it to arrive. Also, the items then become part of vacation cost and memorabilia.

Closing physical stores seems financially smart to me. Physical retail hasn't done well in years--across the board. For some retailers, there are ways to fix this, and it is in their interest to do so. Disney, however, is probably better to save money on overhead of running physical locations outside of the parks. Shopping online is easy, often gives the buyer time to search for promos/coupons, and has the ability to offer a larger selection of items. Online only stores, heightens desire for buying items from the shops while in the park. It has a bit of an exclusivity effect. Better get it now, while I'm here touching it, otherwise I have to hope I can get it online, and then wait for it to arrive. Also, the items then become part of vacation cost and memorabilia.
Me, in Canada: No, it's not easy.
Also no on the heightened desire. I literally went to DLR, saw the prices and tried on stuff and waited five months to buy it on discount on the online shop (while sending to a usa address). This means that instead of buying something every time I went to the store, I did 1 online purchase in total. At least on me they lost a ton of money.

I disagree. Online shopping takes the spontaneity out of the Disney experience, and here in the UK, we constantly have to deal with the fact that they use a courier that's been rated the worst, thanks to their lack of customer service and quality being hit or miss. Not to mention that there were still stores performing well, and therefore, they could have been prime candidates for a possible new experiential format that would have allowed the stores to survive for years to come.

Also, sizing for clothes can vary massively, and buying clothes online is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. Then there's the issue of having to arrange a return if the item doesn't fit, and some companies have already started to charge for returns because of overbuyers.

Disney had plenty of opportunity to revitalise the stores and refocus the locations on the most important cities, instead of just letting the chain die.

I disagree. Online shopping takes the spontaneity out of the Disney experience, and here in the UK, we constantly have to deal with the fact that they use a courier that's been rated the worst, thanks to their lack of customer service and quality being hit or miss. Not to mention that there were still stores performing well, and therefore, they could have been prime candidates for a possible new experiential format that would have allowed the stores to survive for years to come.

Also, sizing for clothes can vary massively, and buying clothes online is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. Then there's the issue of having to arrange a return if the item doesn't fit, and some companies have already started to charge for returns because of overbuyers.

Disney had plenty of opportunity to revitalise the stores and refocus the locations on the most important cities, instead of just letting the chain die.

If the chains were as successful as everyone is arguing or if the fix was as easy as is being implied, they wouldn't have let them die. Afterall, they want to make money. It may not have been profitable to leave just a few stores open in a handful of important cities--whatever that means.

Online shopping is accessible, though their stock has also gone down. I think this is more focused on buying their merchandise while vacationing or at other retail locations that sell the Disney brand and have the retail structure in place. cutting their own costs. People can still buy items locally if they want to physically shop, I'm going to guess that is the push of the hubs in Target. Though, I think those could have been done better.

As more Disney Stores come to a close and we're all left with shopDisney and mere concessions (and a few flagships/outlets), there are many questions as to what went wrong with the stores, and whether the closures were a huge mistake or just another product of the Retail Apocalypse.

Was there really anything wrong with the stores? From what I've noticed, there has been an imbalance in the range of merchandise the Disney Stores sold compared to the 1990s heyday, even after the 2000s nadir. Although there have been recent efforts to rectify that, most of the adult merchandise had more availability online than in the stores, which is unsurprising given that a lot of attention has, as of late, been shifted to shopDisney, while the physical stores save for the safe flagships ended up with such a raw deal. Not to mention that third party retailers have been making inroads into the ranges of merchandise the Disney Stores (and Parks) once had a monopoly over, which links into the same reasons as to why Toys R Us eventually collapsed when other retailers were diversifying into selling toys, which used to only make up one small section. However, the Disney Stores had a USP, and that USP was having unique customer service and interactivity, particularly with in-store events and celebrations that could not be replicated in, let's say a Target.

As for the closures, do I think it's a huge mistake? Yes, because I still feel that Disney could have done more to address the issues that have plagued the stores for years, and could have easily reinvigorated the most profitable stores to be more resilient and have a fair balance between children's merchandise and adult-oriented merchandise, not to mention a better synergy with shopDisney. However, I only hope that someday, the tide will turn against online, especially because I feel that the shift to online retail is having a detrimental effect on local economies and social lives.

Anyone else feel the same about the stores?
As someone who has worked in retail since 1981 nothing is as it was! Online totally hurts people working in the stores. I don’t think people realize what it is doing. People come in with armloads of purchases that they bought online and irritated that they have to wait in line to return them. They then go to another counter where people are actually trying to help someone making a purchase so that sales person can make a living. So often the customer takes the time of a salesperson (which is retail and that’s okay!) but then after being helped and their mess cleaned up, the customer goes and buys it online! 😱Even though they might not be on commission retail is all about the numbers. If we don’t show sales we don’t keep our jobs. People are actually shocked when these prominent stores are closing. They can’t stay open when they are basically a return store. When there is more coming back in than going out they can’t stay open. Unfortunately, stores these days are almost forcing people to go online because they don’t carry as much merchandise anymore. I hope that will shift back at least a little someday.

As someone who has worked in retail since 1981 nothing is as it was! Online totally hurts people working in the stores. I don’t think people realize what it is doing. People come in with armloads of purchases that they bought online and irritated that they have to wait in line to return them. They then go to another counter where people are actually trying to help someone making a purchase so that sales person can make a living. So often the customer takes the time of a salesperson (which is retail and that’s okay!) but then after being helped and their mess cleaned up, the customer goes and buys it online! 😱Even though they might not be on commission retail is all about the numbers. If we don’t show sales we don’t keep our jobs. People are actually shocked when these prominent stores are closing. They can’t stay open when they are basically a return store. When there is more coming back in than going out they can’t stay open. Unfortunately, stores these days are almost forcing people to go online because they don’t carry as much merchandise anymore. I hope that will shift back at least a little someday.
It didn’t help Disney to stop giving bags for purchases. My last purchase at our local Disney store was a breakable Christmas ornament. They wrapped it and just handed it to me. Why would someone walk around the mall with that when they could order online with a free shipping code? And have you seen the amount of packaging with an online purchase like that?

If the chains were as successful as everyone is arguing or if the fix was as easy as is being implied, they wouldn't have let them die. Afterall, they want to make money. It may not have been profitable to leave just a few stores open in a handful of important cities--whatever that means.

Online shopping is accessible, though their stock has also gone down. I think this is more focused on buying their merchandise while vacationing or at other retail locations that sell the Disney brand and have the retail structure in place. cutting their own costs. People can still buy items locally if they want to physically shop, I'm going to guess that is the push of the hubs in Target. Though, I think those could have been done better.

I really think companies have sabotaged physical stores as a reason to get rid of them to cut costs. I have found more often then going to stores at the mall (target, Walmart don't have this issue so much) just to find they rarely have sizes in stocks i need or the color, or half of what you saw online is online only ( and not indicated). So then I get left having to just order online, stores only use half the time is a return center for all the online items that didn't work out.

I really think companies have sabotaged physical stores as a reason to get rid of them to cut costs. I have found more often then going to stores at the mall (target, Walmart don't have this issue so much) just to find they rarely have sizes in stocks i need or the color, or half of what you saw online is online only ( and not indicated). So then I get left having to just order online, stores only use half the time is a return center for all the online items that didn't work out.
I think you are correct! It seems that is the direction they are going. Don’t know what will happen to malls? 🤷🏻‍♀️Their rents are huge! We shall see!

I think you are correct! It seems that is the direction they are going. Don’t know what will happen to malls? 🤷🏻‍♀️Their rents are huge! We shall see!

Make people not want to go to them and they have an easy way to say stores aren’t doing well. And don’t get me started in the pricing differences between online and in stores. Almost always cheaper online and then you have to get them to price match if you pay attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter