The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

From what I’ve seen stacking isn’t as easy with your first reserved park, especially MK. When I’ve checked the tip board arrival windows are usually within the hour for MK for a big portion of their rides. You can only book next available if it’s your reserved park.

If you are hopping, stacking seems to work better. At or around 7 am make a 3 pm for SDD. Around 11 am make a 5 pm for Smugglers. At 1 pm make a 4 pm for TSM/RNRC/TOT. If you bought ROTR and MMRR at 7 am you could walk into the park at 3 pm with 5 LL and make a new one as you arrive and keep rolling them out. Of course if times work.

That’s how I’m understanding it anyway.

7am: SD booked for 1043am
8:15- arrive to park
8:30-910: MMRR then MFSR
9:10-11:00 Plenty of time left for a quick toy story
and saucers. Frozen song along.
11:00- book 1:35pm splash mountain
(considered a noon toy story but
wanted to let kids rest)

11:15 Slinky dog
11:16 book splash at 1:35pm (later changed
to 2pm, must have gone down)

11:30 Hotel bus: worst wait of the day by far
1:16. Book Jungle cruise (daughter request

2pm arrive at MK

here I will just list the LL I got and what they changed to after getting the rides

LL0: Slinky

A1: splash 2pm
B1: thunder mountain 2:20pm
C1: Jungle Cruise 2:50pm
the parks can sustain you for that long at this pace. Will either have to underutilize Genie+ or ride everything 5-10 times. Will edit later with my tips from experience.

This is my favorite post and I'll be reading it over and over. We already talked about how the 1:35pms turned into 2:xx when getting booked because of the hopper time of 2pm, but I wanted to make sure that one of the Splash reservations was actually Thunder Mountain? I'm presuming the 11:00 grab was for the 2pm Splash and the 11:16 grab (once you tabbed into SDD) was 2:20pm BTMRR?

Last edited:
Using PepperjackDragon's strategy, here is a somewhat aggressive hypothetical strategy we might use on 12/4:

Saturday 12/4
7amgrab FOP and EE ILL$ for timeslots around 2pm
7amgrab a 10:45ish LL for MFSR
8:30amRD either SDD or TT/RRC
9-11amStandby Rides
11:00amBook MK LL1 for post 3:30pm
11:XXRide MFSR
11:XXBook MK LL2 for post 3:30pm
11:30amLeave Park for Hotel
12-1:30pmbreak
1:00pmbook next LL3 for post 3:30pm
1:30pmhead to AK
2-3pmFOP/EE
3:00pmhead to MK

Obviously this would depend on crowd and available slots, but the key here is to book LL2 at the 11am slot (2 hours post park opening) before I actually use my LL1 (MFSR), which then gets me to 2 in my stack. Once it hits 1pm, I get LL3 as 3rd in my stack.

I *think* this works.....theoretically?

Using PepperjackDragon's strategy, here is a somewhat aggressive hypothetical strategy we might use on 12/4:

Saturday 12/4
9-11amStandby Rides
1:45-2:45FOP/EE

Obviously this would depend on crowd and available slots, but the key here is to book LL2 at the 11am slot (2 hours post park opening) before I actually use my LL1 (MFSR), which then gets me to 2 in my stack. Once it hits 1pm, I get LL3 as 3rd in my stack.

Wouldn’t you have to wait 120 minutes to book LL2 in MK since you just booked one at 11 am for 3:30ish? I see you are scanning into MFSR but that one already “reset” itself at 11 am and then you booked LL1 in MK. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t “reset” itself again once you scan in. I think you have to wait until 1 pm to book LL2 in MK but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure!? This is what I'm basing it on:

wanted to let kids rest)
I'm presuming this was a BTMRR reservation, not Splash

It looks like the grabbed the 10:43 SDD at 7am
at 11am, grabbed their MK LL1
at 11:15 redeemed their HS LL1 which was SDD
at 11:16 grabbed their MK LL2 since they'd tapped in at SDD

At least that's what I'm thinking?

I'm not sure!? This is what I'm basing it on:

wanted to let kids rest)
I'm presuming this was a BTMRR reservation, not Splash

It looks like the grabbed the 10:43 SDD at 7am
at 11am, grabbed their MK LL1
at 11:15 redeemed their HS LL1 which was SDD
at 11:16 grabbed their MK LL2 since they'd tapped in at SDD

At least that's what I'm thinking?

Hmmm I see. Let’s see what they say because now I’m interested.

This is soooo confusing at times! First I think I understand it, then I read something else. I only have two more days to figure it out!

Also a tip to make sure your entire party is selected when you pick a LL. Something strange happened to us yesterday. My son wasn't here for our entire trip, so he has a separate ticket reservation but is part of my Friends and Family in MDE. All day Saturday, my LL selections automatically had all 4 of us. For some reason yesterday, it was just 3 and I had to click edit to add him.

I caught it the first time, but then not on our JC LL. So when we went to tap in, he wasn't eligible. I had to go to guest service and they ended up giving me a recovery pass. Unfortunately, that "broke" stacking for him, so I had to wait until we rode our next one to get him another one. I'm still not sure how that happened, but it was close to time for Boo Bash, so didn't really matter.

This is soooo confusing at times! First I think I understand it, then I read something else. I only have two more days to figure it out!

Agree. I think a separate thread just for Stacking strategies might be a good idea, to benefit those for whom it will be a good strategy

But I don't see Stacking to be a useful strategy for our situation:

1) We don't plan to do any park-hopping
2) We usually stay in one park until mid-afternoon, at which time the grandkids are ready to call it quits, and we don't go back in the evening.
3) If we have young grandkids on the trip, we will be skipping some of the high-demand height-requirement rides.
4) With older grandkids, we don't care about getting a large quantity of rides; we have little interest in doing some of the attractions (for example, Teacups, Barnstormer, Pooh, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Speedway). We just want to be able to hit our favorites with a minimum wait time.
5) So 3-4 LLs is probably going to do it for us.

For those of us not planning to stack, a Genie+-for-Dummies Sticky might be what we need.:)

Agree. I think a separate thread just for Stacking strategies might be a good idea, to benefit those for whom it will be a good strategy

But I don't see Stacking to be a useful strategy for our situation:

1) We don't plan to do any park-hopping
2) We usually stay in one park until mid-afternoon, at which time the grandkids are ready to call it quits, and we don't go back in the evening.
3) If we have young grandkids on the trip, we will be skipping some of the high-demand height-requirement rides.
4) With older grandkids, we don't care about getting a large quantity of rides; we have little interest in doing some of the attractions (for example, Teacups, Barnstormer, Pooh, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, Speedway). We just want to be able to hit our favorites with a minimum wait time.
5) So 3-4 LLs is probably going to do it for us.

For those of us not planning to stack, a Genie+-for-Dummies Sticky might be what we need.:)

They are working on a sticky. It’s locked right now until they gather more info. One for stacking isn’t a bad idea either.

Also a tip to make sure your entire party is selected when you pick a LL. Something strange happened to us yesterday. My son wasn't here for our entire trip, so he has a separate ticket reservation but is part of my Friends and Family in MDE. All day Saturday, my LL selections automatically had all 4 of us. For some reason yesterday, it was just 3 and I had to click edit to add him.

I caught it the first time, but then not on our JC LL. So when we went to tap in, he wasn't eligible. I had to go to guest service and they ended up giving me a recovery pass. Unfortunately, that "broke" stacking for him, so I had to wait until we rode our next one to get him another one. I'm still not sure how that happened, but it was close to time for Boo Bash, so didn't really matter.

I recall you posting about this. It sounds very odd. When we go in FEB, we've got 3 rooms for us, and our 2 sons and their SOs. Would that imply I couldn't select their LLs for all of us? Since we're footing the bill for the whole trip, my CC is tied to their reservations (and it'll be paid off before we go). I have added G+ to the reservations, but now I'm concerned I might not be able to grab the LL for the whole group and be unable to add the ILL$ for all of us?

If you are arriving late to MK and not park hopping, how do you stack and get a later time (after 2) when you book your first G+ at 7am?
You can also book your first Genie+ pass at 9 am (ride by 9:15 am, book 915; ride by 9:30 and book next one etc) and keep rolling it until 11 am. At 11 am you get your first 2-3 pm pass. then no riding 11 am -1 pm (2 hour cooling period-eat lunch/snacks/parades/ride standby). At 1 pm book second pass 2:30-4 pm (2nd cool off period is not a full 2 hours because you have a pass 2-3pm, but will loose stacking).

Personally I would book my first evening pass when I leave the park for a mid day break. So at 1 pm book 4-5pm and then head out the park; if I look again at 3 pm (2 hr cooling can start at 1, 1:30 whenever you book the evening pass) I may book another 4:30 or 5 pm pass.

From what I’ve seen stacking isn’t as easy with your first reserved park, especially MK. When I’ve checked the tip board arrival windows are usually within the hour for MK for a big portion of their rides. You can only book next available if it’s your reserved park.

If you are hopping, stacking seems to work better. At or around 7 am make a 3 pm for SDD. Around 11 am make a 5 pm for Smugglers. At 1 pm make a 4 pm for TSM/RNRC/TOT. If you bought ROTR and MMRR at 7 am you could walk into the park at 3 pm with 5 LL and make a new one as you arrive and keep rolling them out. Of course if times work.

That’s how I’m understanding it anyway.
That was our experience last week.
Genie + is no where near as user friendly as FP+ was. Hopefully this will improve with time.
Park hopping made stacking much more doable.

Saturday 12/4
9-11amStandby Rides
2-3pmFOP/EE

I'm not 100% sure about LL2 either. I would think you have to book it at 1 pm. like Molly:

https://allears.net/2021/10/21/how-can-you-stack-multiple-disney-genie-reservations/
It gave her an error message that it was too soon to book another when she tried at 11 am (she initially booked 7 pm Slinky at 7 am - I assume, she didn't really clarify).

In your example you have a Genie+ pass that you're trying to modify. I think it might work. You're allowed to ride rides now after the cooling period is over and if only availability is evening (if you have another one with pm availability) then you should be able to book it.

Edit: I think you need to reverse riding MFSR and then book the late afternoon pass at 11:15 am? that was throwing me off. Then you have to wait with no Genie+ 11 am-1 pm. Next Genie+ can only be booked at 1 pm for now (1 pm+) or later afternoon/evening.

Last edited:
You can also book your first Genie+ pass at 9 am (ride by 9:15 am, book 915; ride by 9:30 and book next one etc) and keep rolling it until 11 am. At 11 am you get your first 2-3 pm pass. then no riding 11 am -1 pm (2 hour cooling period-eat lunch/snacks/parades/ride standby). At 1 pm book second pass 2:30-4 pm (2nd cool off period is not a full 2 hours because you have a pass 2-3pm, but will loose stacking).

So if at 11 am you book a LL for 2-3 pm and then at 1 pm book a second LL for 2:30 -3:30 pm when does the cool off period end? In 120 minutes at 3 pm or when you scan into the 2 pm LL? This is what I'm trying to figure out.

ETA: I see you replied above to another poster.

I’m not going to assume that stacking the way it can be done now is always going to be allowed. It would be easy for Disney to change the system to prevent making a new LL if you use one but have another one outstanding, Your booking window could be established at 2 hours after you booked the other outstanding one or use it.

That aside, as long as the system is what it is, I can see how the stacking can work for almost anyone, regardless of their style: early entry resort guest, offsite rope dropper, later arriver, all day in one park, midday breaker, park hopper, or whatever.

The key just comes in getting the stack set up by getting a LL with a return time at least 2 hours out, making another LL before using the other one, and then going from there, booking another LL whenever you use or cancel one or let it expire.

I’ve been thinking about how we can take advantage of this over marathon weekend when travel and the races will prevent us from being at a park at opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter