• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

We will be there in 13 days and plan on using Genie+, but not purchasing IA$ - we will rope drop those rides and try for a virtual queue for Remy.
We are here now and were able to ride Remy all 3 of our Epcot days just by doing the virtual queue. People who paid for LL were merged right in line with us and it looked like they waited the whole time we did once inside.

always wise
I agree with the article when it is used as described. In the use case they present you actually are only using it for two evening rides and running 0-1 all day. However, that would be a very inefficient use of stacked lightning lanes, one would obviously be better off just waiting for SDD (presumably a RD if you couldn’t secure an optimum LL time) and maximizing the stacks during the day, so I don’t think that is what most of us on here are suggesting.

My husband and daughter will be at Hollywood Studios tomorrow. I am connected to them through My Disney Experience (or whatever it is called now). Can I book paid Genie+ experiences for them as they are driving there? They will be driving from 6:30AM-8:00AM and would like to book them an experience at the 7:00AM timeslot.
Yeah if you are connected in MDE, G+ add-one for the whole party are available to you.

We are taking my in-laws on their first Disney trip in 30 years. I would like SDD and that line always freaks me out - we’ve always had a FP or rope drop!
Yeah, SDD is either a first or second choice LL option so you don’t get sold out or you can rope drop or be there at park closing for shorter ride times.

I agree with the article when it is used as described. In the use case they present you actually are only using it for two evening rides and running 0-1 all day. However, that would be a very inefficient use of stacked lightning lanes, one would obviously be better off just waiting for SDD (presumably a RD if you couldn’t secure an optimum LL time) and maximizing the stacks during the day, so I don’t think that is what most of us on here are suggesting.
Right - this article misses all of the nuance and other options. Simply booking your first LL for 10:10, getting a new LL at 11 and using your first one at 11:01 give you two for the rest of the day having only waited a single 2-hour period. My guess is for the majority of the year - simply doing that will be sufficient to get through most LL rides in a park if you're doing only one park that day. Obviously if you're planning on hopping you can make the choice whether to use in the morning or stack more for later.

Is there any app that is tracking genie plus return times? Considering buying genie plus for HS. We have a member that has DAS, but they do not want to ride RnR or ToT. 3 of the 5 in our DAS group would buy genie plus but if those two rides return times are late in the day by morning I don’t think it would be worth it for us. We have small kids in the group and plan to be leaving the park around 4 each day.

Does anyone else think the stacking is a loophole that Disney unintentionally created? I feel like someone coded it where after you tap into a ride, you are always eligible to make a new G+ selection, without considering fact that someone might have just booked a G+ using the 2 hour rule. You shouldn't be able to make 2 bookings so close to one another. My guess is someone just screwed up and this will get changed at some point. Maxpass didn't work this way (though had 90 minute rule, which would've made this even more powerful).
I don’t think it was unintentional. People wouldn’t pay if all they could get was one ride every two hours. Especially if they didn’t plan to stay at a park all day.

Is there any app that is tracking genie plus return times? Considering buying genie plus for HS. We have a member that has DAS, but they do not want to ride RnR or ToT. 3 of the 5 in our DAS group would buy genie plus but if those two rides return times are late in the day by morning I don’t think it would be worth it for us. We have small kids in the group and plan to be leaving the park around 4 each day.

I don’t know about any app, but I have been checking some days to try to get some ideas for what I want to do about Genie+ on a trip we have coming up in two weeks.

I’ve often been looking at around 11-11:30 AM ET to see what might be available for a second LL if I make a first one for around 11 to try to set up a stack to use at a second park later in the day.

On the days I’ve looked, the return times for both TOT and RNRC have been more in the 1-2 PM range at 11 AM. If that continues, you should be able to use Genie+ for those two attractions before leaving at 4.

If you book one for earlier in the day and the second one right after you use the first one you should be be able to do them both before 2 PM.

Good luck. My advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

Just looking at my tip board for HS at 10:22 , everything is +/- at least an hour away(except Star Tours). ToT next time 11:30, RNRC 12:20, MFSR 3:45

Thrill-data seems to be.

Rethinking our day and a half trip in Dec to take in the Merriest AH thing. However, that has downstream implications as to what ILL$ we use since we'd be hopping with different parks on our hopper day. :crazy2: There's no way I'm paying for a full day in a park PLUS the Merriest AH when we'd only get into the parks in early afternoon.

I think I may wait until the first Merriest AH reports come in and if our date is still not sold out, make the decision then. If it's sold out...decision made. In the meantime, we've downgraded from CBR to POP since they had rooms come available. So either we'll save a little money that we can put toward the Merriest AH, or we'll save even more money.

And to think I thought I had this all figured out. I'm still good on the LL stuff, but now the ILL$ limit of 2 becomes more complicated.

American cancelled our flight (will refund $200) we rebooked on Spirit ($758 one way), and hopefully we reach by ur dinner ADR, so no Genie+, no VQ. I did see Remy Bg was available at 7:30 am.

$758 one way! Did American refund your fare PLUS $200? So you knew in time (or where smart enough) to NOT purchase G+ before the cancellation?

Late/cancelled flights are never fun, but for the start of your trip...terrible. I'm a little concerned about our Dec trip, it's VERY short and every little bit counts.

Question about the individual lightning lanes:

is it like genie plus where you have to buy it for everyone in your party with tickets on your account or can you select individual people to buy them? I’m only wondering because not everyone in my party is tall enough for some of them

Question about the individual lightning lanes:

is it like genie plus where you have to buy it for everyone in your party with tickets on your account or can you select individual people to buy them? I’m only wondering because not everyone in my party is tall enough for some of them

You don’t have to buy the ILL for everyone in your party.

Unless I missed something, you don’t have to buy Genie+ for everyone in your party either.

You don't need to add it for everyone in your party if you get it day by day. I'm not sure if you choose to add it length of stay when you get your tickets, then you may need to. But since there is not benefit to doing it in advance, most people will only purchase it day of.

We are here now and were able to ride Remy all 3 of our Epcot days just by doing the virtual queue. People who paid for LL were merged right in line with us and it looked like they waited the whole time we did once inside.

That’s great! What time of day did you ride and if you don’t mind sharing how long the approximate wait was?

You don't need to add it for everyone in your party if you get it day by day. I'm not sure if you choose to add it length of stay when you get your tickets, then you may need to. But since there is not benefit to doing it in advance, most people will only purchase it day of.
We bought it on Tuesday for MK before 7am. We are going back on Thursday and will wait to see how the day is going before we buy it. The lines were so short on Tue it really wasn´t necessary, except for a couple rides that we will pass on this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter