• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Yes, I would be park hopping, but the times are just made up to get to my actual question, which you answered about grabbing another LL. I was under the impression I wouldnt be able to do that either, but I just read a touring plans blog article that stated otherwise.
When it first launched, you could do that. It was a great loophole. You could also let the LL "expire", grab another LL, then use the grace period to tap in and grab another one. All gone though.

You are correct. You are eligible for another LL as soon as you double-tap into the 11:30 ride. You don't have to wait 2 hours.
Maybe they've "fine tuned" it again, but this was not our experience in the parks last week (after the changes on Wednesday). Everything was based off two hours from the last booked ride. Didn't matter what we tapped into.

IMO, it should allow you to book once you've tapped in, so hopefully that is the way it's working again.

JakeAZ, the key though is.. did you have others waiting (still to be turned in) when you tapped in? If you did, it still goes off the two hour clock. You will only be able to grab another one right after tapping in only if you don't have any more scheduled later. (or at least that's what I've been told - I haven't had the chance to do it myself yet)

JakeAZ, the key though is.. did you have others waiting (still to be turned in) when you tapped in? If you did, it still goes off the two hour clock. You will only be able to grab another one right after tapping in only if you don't have any more scheduled later. (or at least that's what I've been told - I haven't had the chance to do it myself yet)
Last week is a blur, but that could have been the case. It all runs together with Genie.

We are a group of people that really pay attention and it sounds like there is still confusion! Haha. It really is quite the terrible system Disney instituted.

Last edited:

After you make a LL selection, you are able to make another selection either:
(1) after 2 hours, or
(2) when you double-tap into that LL (if sooner than 2 hours)

If you make a LL selection before the park opens, the 2 hour wait is 2 hours from when the park opens.

As an example, if I have a LL for Slinky Dog for 10:00, what is the latest time when I scan will I get green?

I have been told several things.

TIA

As an example, if I have a LL for Slinky Dog for 10:00, what is the latest time when I scan will I get green?

I have been told several things.

TIA
Your 10am should be good for 1 hour, so 10-11. You should also have a 5 minute before and 15 minute after window where you're able to check in. Those times are according to previous posters in the park.

Since they closed the loophole where you could wait for 2 hour window, grabbing another LL, checking in to ride and grabbing another LL, you'll benefit by checking in as soon as you can so you can schedule the next pass.

My experience Thanksgiving,
Got jungle cruise 10:40-11:40 at 7 am. Got PP for 4:10-5:10 at 11 am. Tapped into jungle Cruise between 11:00 and 11:40. Tried to book another for two hours and each time it said I was ineligible til 1:00 pm…

Last edited:
The change they made was that people were able to book another at the 2 hour mark after booking AND after tapping into a ride, for the same reservation.

Now you can book another after either:
2 hours goes by (2 hours after park open if the booking was made before then) OR you tap into your most recently booked reservation.

I think that's the confusing part, it's the most recently booked reservation it's going off of. Taping into a LL will not always let you book another (it used to - that is the loop hole they closed)

Say you book:
7:00am book a 7pm SDD (LL1)
11:00 am book a 2:00pm TSM (LL2)
1:00pm book a 2:30pm ToT (LL3)
Your eligibility for booking LL4 is based off of LL3.

When you tap into your 2:00 LL2, you won't be able to book another because it wasn't your most recently booked LL and it hasn't been 2 hours since you last booked. But when you tap into LL3 at 2:30 you will be able to book again because it was your most recently booked LL.

Alternatively, say you haven't used your LL3 yet at 3:00, you could book another then because it's been 2 hours. You then tap into your (2:30-3:30) LL3 at 3:15, you will not be able to book another then because you already booked LL4 at 3:00pm and that is what your eligibility is now based off of.

That sounds complicated to spell out but all you need to remember is which was your most recently booked LL and when you booked it.

My experience Wednesday before Thanksgiving,
Got jungle cruise 10:40-11:40 at 7 am. Got PP for 4:10-5:10 at 11 am. Tapped into jungle Cruise between 11:00 and 11:40. Tried to book another for two hours and each time it said I was ineligible til 1:00 pm…

Right, your most recent booking was at 11:00am for PP (LL2). You can book either 2 hours later or when you tap into LL2 but tapping into LL1 didn't trigger another eligibility because you'd already used it, by booking two hours after you'd booked LL1.

The change they made was that people were able to book another at the 2 hour mark after booking AND after tapping into a ride, for the same reservation.

2 hours goes by (2 hours after park open if the booking was made before then) OR you tap into your most recently booked reservation.

I think that's the confusing part, it's the most recently booked reservation it's going off of. Taping into a LL will not always let you book another (it used to - that is the loop hole they closed)

Say you book:

When you tap into your 2:00 LL2, you won't be able to book another because it wasn't your most recently booked LL and it hasn't been 2 hours since you last booked. But when you tap into LL3 at 2:30 you will be able to book again because it was your most recently booked LL.

Alternatively, say you haven't used your LL3 yet at 3:00, you could book another then because it's been 2 hours. You then tap into your (2:30-3:30) LL3 at 3:15, you will not be able to book another then because you already booked LL4 at 3:00pm and that is what your eligibility is now based off of.

That sounds complicated to spell out but all you need to remember is which was your most recently booked LL and when you booked it.
Thank you so much for posting this. The change makes a lot more sense.

So it sounds like your best bet is to book your LL’s from latest to earliest so the first one you tap is the last one you booked, then you can rebook while still holding your others…

For example:
7am book Slinky LL for 8-9pm
11am book MFSR LL for 7-8pm
1pm book RnRC LL for 6-7pm
3pm book ToT LL for 5-6pm

Tap into ToT, because it was the most recent LL you booked…you are now eligible to book another, even thought you are holding 3 others.

Did I get this right or am I off base?

After using genie in all the parks on days I only stayed in that park and always arrived in the morning it is my opinion and booking earlier return times and tapping and booking as you go is the best strategy if you are staying in that pArk all day.

At DHS I did not book SDD for this reason. I booked TT and had I not needed a nap(lol) and not had single rider for smugglers I would have gotten 4 genie+ selections for top rides in that park before they ran out. Which I think for DHS is a good day. I tried refreshing for SDD a lot and it never popped up for me.

Can someone let me know if this scenario is hypothetically doable?
7am: Book SDD for 3pm
11am: Book Barnstormer for 11:30
11:30: Ride Barnstormer
11:35 Book Little Mermaid for 12pm
Basically what I want to know is if I have an LL I haven't used (SDD), but then book and ride my next LL (Barnstormer), can I immediately book my next LL (Little Mermaid) or will I still be restricted to the 2 hour wait?
Not sure if this was clearly answered already, but yes you can immediately book Little Mermaid in this scenario. This is not the loophole that was recently closed.

I've been reading up on Genie + and Individual Attraction Selection (IAS) or fancy rides tm (as Molly calls it) but still a bit confused so hopefully I can get some help.
I'm staying offsite and will purchased Genie + at 12am and book my first Genie + selection at 7am. Since I'm staying offsite when will I be able to purchase an IAS at 7am or park opening?

Say you book:

This is exactly what our experience was.

Any time I wasn't sure I would just try to book another G+ and the eligible time was listed.

If you are going during a busy time the times aren't going to be as smooth as it sounds however and on some days nothing was available by mid afternoon although you could still purchase G+.

I've been reading up on Genie + and Individual Attraction Selection (IAS) or fancy rides tm (as Molly calls it) but still a bit confused so hopefully I can get some help.
I'm staying offsite and will purchased Genie + at 12am and book my first Genie + selection at 7am. Since I'm staying offsite when will I be able to purchase an IAS at 7am or park opening?
I believe if you're staying offsite you can't book the IAS until park opening but you can book your first Genie+ at 7 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter