The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

I'm reading through the thread, but seemed to be getting more confused. LL I thought was lightening land and limited to only two rides per day. But, I continue to see references to booking LL every 120 minutes. Can someone clarify?

I'm reading through the thread, but seemed to be getting more confused. LL I thought was lightening land and limited to only two rides per day. But, I continue to see references to booking LL every 120 minutes. Can someone clarify?
The "Lightning Lane" (LL) is the term for the physical entrance (formerly FP entrance) that you can use to skip much of the line for a shorter wait.

If you purchase Genie+ (G+), you can sign up for times to use the LL for many rides (that's where all the 120-minute rules, etc. come into play).

Two rides in each park offer "Lightning Lane" (LL) access ala carte, which is called the Individual Lightning Lane Selections (ILL$). Those are purchased separate from Genie+ and you select a specific time, so the 120-minute "cooling down" rules, etc. don't apply.

They made it very confusing by using names that include Lightning Lane for both products (G+ and ILL$) even though they are separate purchases with their own unique rules.

Our strategy last weekend worked out great for us. I'll post additional details below but the basic idea was to do one ILL$ for the park we were starting at and one for the park we were hopping to. For Genie+, we made the first 1-2 for the park we were starting at, then we started stacking for the park we were hopping to. We also rolled in about 10 minutes AFTER they let in Early Entry guests to avoid the rush, then did some "B" priority attractions first thing. For example, here's what we did on our Epcot/MK day last weekend:

• ILL$ for Remy at 12:50
  • Genie+ for TT at 11am
  • ILL$ for 7DMT at 8pm
  • Arrived to Epcot at 9:35am-ish
  • Rode Soarin' standby
  • Rode SE standby
  • Walked around the still-empty WS pavilions but could have done Mission Space, Nemo, and/or Figment easily
  • Rode TT with Genie+
  • Immediately made PP Genie+ for late afternoon
  • Rode Remy and did some Festival Booths.
  • Had drinks at both Tambu Tambu Lounge and Enchanted Rose. Headed to MK.
    • During this time, made Genie+ every two hours for something in MK. Made sure that the last Genie+ I made was one that I could get for an almost immediate time (meeting Mickey) so I could make another right after scanning in
  • Arrived to MK at around 5pm. Between 5pm-8:15pm, did the following:
    • Met Mickey with Genie+
      • This was the last one I made, so I immediately made another for IASW
    • Rode PP with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode BTMR with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode HM with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode IASW, PoC, and Buzz with Genie+ made after we arrived
    • Mobile ordered nachos from Pecos Bill's
    • Saw PhilharMagic standby
    • Got some PhotoPass shots taken
    • Rode 7DMT with ILL$ made earlier
      • Timed this perfectly and was able to watch the fireworks while on the ride

We did something similar the next day with Hollywood Studios and Epcot, although we front-loaded Genie+ at HS a little more since there was less we wanted to do at Epcot that day. It worked really well.

Last edited:
Grumpy by Birth answered your question, and I noticed you've found the Everything Genie thread that describes the basics better than this thread. If you've been reading this thread from the beginning, it's important to realize that in mid-November, Disney IT closed the loophole that allowed people to double stack, triple stack, etc. Much of what was written in this thread prior to then is outdated.

Our strategy last weekend worked out great for us. I'll post additional details below but the basic idea was to do one ILL$ for the park we were starting at and one for the park we were hopping to. For Genie+, we made the first 1-2 for the park we were starting at, then we started stacking for the park we were hopping to. We also rolled in about 10 minutes AFTER they let in Early Entry guests to avoid the rush, then did some "B" priority attractions first thing. For example, here's what we did on our Epcot/MK day last weekend:

• ILL$ for Remy at 12:50
  • Genie+ for TT at 11am
  • ILL$ for 7DMT at 8pm
  • Arrived to Epcot at 9:35am-ish
  • Rode Soarin' standby
  • Rode SE standby
  • Walked around the still-empty WS pavilions but could have done Mission Space, Nemo, and/or Figment easily
  • Rode TT with Genie+
  • Immediately made PP Genie+ for late afternoon
  • Did some Festival Booths. Had drinks at both Tambu Tambu Lounge and Enchanted Rose. Headed to MK.
    • During this time, made Genie+ every two hours for something in MK. Made sure that the last Genie+ I made was one that I could get for an almost immediate time (meeting Mickey) so I could make another right after scanning in
  • Arrived to MK at around 5pm. Between 5pm-8:15pm, did the following:
    • Met Mickey with Genie+
      • This was the last one I made, so I immediately made another for IASW
    • Rode PP with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode BTMR with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode HM with Genie+ made earlier
    • Rode IASW, PoC, and Buzz with Genie+ made after we arrived
    • Mobile ordered nachos from Pecos Bill's
    • Saw PhilharMagic standby
    • Got some PhotoPass shots taken
    • Rode 7DMT with ILL$ made earlier
      • Timed this perfectly and was able to watch the fireworks while on the ride

We did something similar the next day with Hollywood Studios and Epcot, although we front-loaded Genie+ at HS a little more since there was less we wanted to do at Epcot that day. It worked really well.
You have mad Genie skilz.

I
Grumpy by Birth answered your question, and I noticed you've found the Everything Genie thread that describes the basics better than this thread. If you've been reading this thread from the beginning, it's important to realize that in mid-November, Disney IT closed the loophole that allowed people to double stack, triple stack, etc. Much of what was written in this thread prior to then is outdated.

It would be good if the original post to this thread could be updated to say:
Much has changed since this thread was originated. For the most up-to-date information please see Sticky Thread (with link to the Everything Genie sticky)

You have mad Genie skilz.

I am kind of a wizard :). No, honestly, the two tricks were: 1) Making a Genie+ every two hours for the park we were hopping to (for us, that was right after we scanned into TT at 11am, then 1pm, then 3pm, then 5pm. So by the time we arrived to MK, we had FOUR Genie+ reservations plus an ILL$. 2) Making sure the 5pm one was for something I could get into almost right away (meeting Mickey) so I could immediately make another one and wouldn't have to wait the two hours. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: We also overlapped our four Genie+ reservations that we'd made throughout the day so that we didn't have too much downtime between them.

Yes, I was having the same problem yesterday trying to cancel on the app. I had to go to my pc to do it. I did not try it from a mobile browser but that probably would have worked.
I tried from Mobile everything…..Safari, Duck Duck whatever, FireFox… iPhone Apps. Nothing worked. Concierge at WL said everyone complaining. At home on PC I could delete and get new park in a second.

How is LL availability for Hollywood Studios at the moment? If I book Slinky Dog at 7:00am are there typically Millennium Falcon LLs left 2 hours after the park opens?
According to Thrill-Data, MFSR availability lasted well past 11:00 today. Yesterday too.

EDIT: Scroll down after clicking the link. Wait times are on the top of the page. Lightning Lane data is further down.

What exactly was your strategy there?

So there we did ILL$ for RotR and Genie+ for SDD (we both logged in to the app from different devices and did a divide and conquer thing). Then we did ILL$ for Frozen Ever After for later in the evening, saving MMRR and Smugglers for the next day . Here's how the day worked out:

ILL$ for RotR (I forget exactly what time we got it for but it was early afternoon)
Genie+ for SDD at 1pm-ish
Arrived at around 8:40am.
TSM standby
Alien Swirling Saucers standby
ToT standby
Star Tours standby
Lunch from Backlot Express and drinks from HBD Lounge (we took our time but you could easily fit a show in here)
SDD and RotR (Genie+ and ILL$)
Then we started stacking Genie+ for Epcot. We went back there and finished up the Festival Booths, then did the Genie+ reservations we made, FEA ILL$, and Harmonious R & C.

Caveat: We did NOT do RnRC because I hate it lol.

Here now and I tried to find an answer first I swear but this is time sensitive lol

I have Slinky Dog Genie+ booked for our whole party (9 ppl) tonight at 7. My mom and stepdad don’t want to do it. I was thinking I could cancel their reservation and use that pass so my sister and son could do ToT at a different time? Just nervous bc the only option I see is “cancel” and want to make sure I’m not going to cancel it for our whole party!

I would be nervous, too, since it's Slinky Dog! But to answer your question about canceling, yes, I was able to remove 1 person from the reservation without canceling it for everyone. This was earlier in January. I did it for multiple rides, actually.

Just in case, I might screenshot the reservation beforehand in case something goes wrong!

HELP PLEASE!

Struggling a bit to advise friend with family of 4 (spouse and DS16, DD20) staying OFFSITE this week and visiting Epcot 2/3 and HS 2/4. I followed this thread in November/TG week for our trip on site and things are a bit different now with lower crowds, Genie + tweaks and the offsite component

They are more apt to buy G+ for HS and won’t be able to get ILL for ROTR. I think they would buy ILL for Remy too but that seems to sell out prior to park open as well.

2/2 Epcot day: No G+ (UG Crowd Calendar 3)
Friends 50th, they’re excited for FOTA, specialty food/drinks and doing some attractions too

My thoughts:
10am - head to Soarin
Living with the land - cuz it’s right there, right?
Then do Remy when/if under 60?
12 or later Spaceship Earth
FILLER based on where they are: Nemo/Figment/Three Caballeros/Oh Canada film

Frozen - ride when 40 or less
Test Track - ride when 40 or less

Hollywood Studios Day: using G+ (UG Crowd Cal 5) Thanks to @g-dad advice!

7am - book G+ MFSR (Star Wars stuff is more important than SDD)

9am - TOT, RNRR stand by - but if Star Wars stuff is more important as I say, should they just attempt ROTR standby at this time or is the line gonna be longest now? Whereas they’re better off waiting till later in the day?

TSM
Alien SS

11am book TSM G+
11ish MMRR if 45 or less
1pm book TOT or RNRR G+
Star Tours
Muppets

3 pm book TOT or RNRR G+

Frozen SA

5pm book ST G+

ROTR - Anytime it is 60 minutes or less get in line if they have not yet or want another spin

I should know this but i can’t remember.....if Im able to make a 9:30 am Genie+ LL for TSM at 7:00 am and I tap in right at 9:30 am does that mean I can immediately go and get another LL or do I need to wait until 11:00 am?

I should know this but i can’t remember.....if Im able to make a 9:30 am Genie+ LL for TSM at 7:00 am and I tap in right at 9:30 am does that mean I can immediately go and get another LL or do I need to wait until 11:00 am?
You can get another as soon as you've tapped at both touch points

You will be able to get a new LL after tapping in to your most recent LL, which would be that one at 9:30 since it is your only one.

You will be able to get a new LL after tapping in to your most recent LL, which would be that one at 9:30 since it is your only one.
Wouldn’t she be able to get a new one at 9am since it’s 120 minutes from the 7am booking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter