• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Question on strategy for booking the first ride of the day. A lot of the sample plans I’m reading on blogs show booking the first Genie reservation for 11ish when arriving for early entry. Is there a reason for this? I would’ve thought maybe we should book the first possible time we can get (for a ride we want) so we can book our next one ASAP. Or is it just that the first available return time is usually closer to 11ish? Hope that makes sense!

If it matters - we are onsite, planning to arrive for early entry, doing MK, 1 day only, with little kids (so no coasters) - our main Genie priorities will probably be Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc.
Sorry if this is answered somewhere - I read through as much of the thread as I could :)

Question on strategy for booking the first ride of the day. A lot of the sample plans I’m reading on blogs show booking the first Genie reservation for 11ish when arriving for early entry. Is there a reason for this? I would’ve thought maybe we should book the first possible time we can get (for a ride we want) so we can book our next one ASAP. Or is it just that the first available return time is usually closer to 11ish? Hope that makes sense!

If it matters - we are onsite, planning to arrive for early entry, doing MK, 1 day only, with little kids (so no coasters) - our main Genie priorities will probably be Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, etc.
Sorry if this is answered somewhere - I read through as much of the thread as I could :)
Some of those samples may have been from November when there was a loophole in the system. Also, the first 2 hours are "typically" the slowest times of the day, so most people want to get standby out of the way that early.

I'm with you on strategy, grab earliest time you can get for the first ride, the top tier rides go fast anyway, so you don't really know what you'll end up with until you're through the process - the time you click on will probably not be your ride time.

If nothing else, that first G+ time helps you plan where to go a little better. Try to work your way around rides to that G+ pass and get there at your pass time.

Keep in mind the the Genie+ gives you the next available time, not a choice. What happens is the major rides are already giving out late morning LL even if you get on to select right at 7. BUT if you opt for a ride available earlier, by the time you can book your 3rd or 4th LL, those major rides are giving out evening slots. It is 9:55 a.m. right now and JC is giving out 6:15 LL and Peter Pan is giving out 4:00 LL.

I have a question about adding Genie+, like so many this is our first try at it. I understand that you cannot chose rides until the morning each day. BUT I was under the impression that we could go ahead and purchase Genie+ in advance and get that out of the way. When purchasing park tickets this week we were told by a CM you can no longer add Genie+ in advance. Is that correct or is this another case of it depends on which CM you get hold of and whether or not their information is correct?

I have a question about adding Genie+, like so many this is our first try at it. I understand that you cannot chose rides until the morning each day. BUT I was under the impression that we could go ahead and purchase Genie+ in advance and get that out of the way. When purchasing park tickets this week we were told by a CM you can no longer add Genie+ in advance. Is that correct or is this another case of it depends on which CM you get hold of and whether or not their information is correct?
It still gives the option to add it online. It has to be a multi-day ticket. It can no longer be added in advance for one day tix.

I was able to see availability for SDD and RoR at 7:40 am today. I kept refreshing and there were several times available for a couple minutes. Was this an anomaly or are they getting a little easier to get?

Hmm...would be an interesting thing to try. We're in the same situation. I'll be linked with my brother's family who are purchasing tix with Genie+ and I have an AP. My DH is linked to me but not them. We'll give that a try (but not until May) and report back if no one else tries it sooner.

Reporting back! My DH (not linked to the family member who has the Genie+ on her ticket) was able to buy our Genie+. As expected, my MDE would not let me.

At 7am, I was able to make ride selections for all of us without issue.

Thankfully a successful workaround for anyone with the AP/day ticket issue.

I have a question out to guests in the February group who are there now. It appears a change may have happened recently which is why we are seeing various experiences re: all guests being selected vs. needing to select each person in their party. I will report back when I hear more.

It only has me selected and I had to click on the rest of the people. Thankfully it had them right under my name, since they also had park reservations, since I have over 20 people in my f&f list...

Reporting back! My DH (not linked to the family member who has the Genie+ on her ticket) was able to buy our Genie+. As expected, my MDE would not let me.

Thank you! That's great news! That's a much better workaround than calling IT every morning!

Will be at WDW from Sat May 28th - Thu June 2nd. We're pretty much empty nesters now and head down with DVC points and spend time relaxing at the resorts more days than going to the parks. We are thinking maybe hitting the parks on two days and park hopping. Trying to come up with the best combo of parks along with potential Genie+/ILL purchase. Epcot is a favorite and would want to be there in the evening. Was thinking that if we were to do one park day combo over the weekend maybe AK first then park hop to Epcot. Since over the holiday with busier crowds, should we Genie+ and $ILL maybe FOP and Remy? I know most feel that Genie+ isn't worth it for those two parks but maybe it would be when over a holiday weekend. We'll wait to do a MK / HS combo day maybe the Tues or Wed after Memorial Day when crowds get lighter. Would try to stack the Genie+ for HS afternoon-evening. Would probably Early Entry for MK and head right to Space Mountain and then do whatever available Genie+ attractions until ready to head to HS. $ILL for RoTR and MMRR. Am I correct that we wouldn't be able to book any LL in the park we're hopping to until after we're actually there because we are actively using Genie+ in the first park?

Will be at WDW from Sat May 28th - Thu June 2nd. We're pretty much empty nesters now and head down with DVC points and spend time relaxing at the resorts more days than going to the parks. We are thinking maybe hitting the parks on two days and park hopping. Trying to come up with the best combo of parks along with potential Genie+/ILL purchase. Epcot is a favorite and would want to be there in the evening. Was thinking that if we were to do one park day combo over the weekend maybe AK first then park hop to Epcot. Since over the holiday with busier crowds, should we Genie+ and $ILL maybe FOP and Remy? I know most feel that Genie+ isn't worth it for those two parks but maybe it would be when over a holiday weekend. We'll wait to do a MK / HS combo day maybe the Tues or Wed after Memorial Day when crowds get lighter. Would try to stack the Genie+ for HS afternoon-evening. Would probably Early Entry for MK and head right to Space Mountain and then do whatever available Genie+ attractions until ready to head to HS. $ILL for RoTR and MMRR. Am I correct that we wouldn't be able to book any LL in the park we're hopping to until after we're actually there because we are actively using Genie+ in the first park?
You can book in the park you are hopping to, even while using G+ at your first park. Times will automatically default to after 2 pm. It would follow the same booking rules that it follows, if you were not hopping- you can still only book after either using your current selection or after the 2 hour cool down period.

Staying DVC, I would plan Epcot for a Monday and MK a Wednesday to enjoy the Deluxe Evening Hours.

When purchasing RotR, is it charged automatically to the card you have on file when you tap your bracelet, or do you need to input a charge card number? A previous poster commented on having to copy and paste their gift card.

We were there in November. I am a DVC member with an AP and sometimes I had to reload the credit card number even it was already attached. Sometimes I didn’t. I have no idea why 🤷🏻‍♀️

It only has me selected and I had to click on the rest of the people. Thankfully it had them right under my name, since they also had park reservations, since I have over 20 people in my f&f list...
I think I might be a bit slow on the uptake here. Can you explain how it worked again? I will be going with my mom she has hopper tickets (no genie +) and I will be AP. I usually do everything on my account she dosnt have an account. Will it work for us or will there be issues?

I think I might be a bit slow on the uptake here. Can you explain how it worked again? I will be going with my mom she has hopper tickets (no genie +) and I will be AP. I usually do everything on my account she dosnt have an account. Will it work for us or will there be issues?
Yes.
The problem is happening when at least 1 person in the party has a ticket where Genie+ has been added for length of stay and another person has an AP.

You can book in the park you are hopping to, even while using G+ at your first park. Times will automatically default to after 2 pm. It would follow the same booking rules that it follows, if you were not hopping- you can still only book after either using your current selection or after the 2 hour cool down period.

So then the only way I can stack afternoon park G+, is if we pretty much do Early Entry at the first park, maybe purchase 1 ILL there and do standby for the rest of the morning, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter