The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Curious if you (or anyone reading this) has experience with this? In a Touring Plans video made last week, they said the 2 hours for park opening begins for the park where you have your park reservation, not where you book your first LL 😕.
Saw the video, Pretty sure TP is wrong about this. The person making the video said they weren't actually sure about it.

I thought I would try tracking a day of possible LL's from home. I know that on the ground, in the moment, would be different because of glitches and the whole choosing a time and maybe not getting it. However, I'm curious how close the following would be to using it in person and if I even did this right.
I tracked Magic Kingdom on 3/20/22.

7am book a LL for Winnie the Pooh at 8:45 (, I overslept so this first one is a guess. The rest are from actual times seen in the app).
Scan into Winnie the Pooh at 8:45 and book LL for Buzz at 9:35.
Scan into Buzz at 9:35 and book Haunted Mansion for 11:00am.
Scan into Haunted Mansion at 11 and book Jungle Cruise for 11:35 (I know! What are the odds of that happening again?!)
Scan into Jungle Cruise at 11:35 and book Splash Mt for 12:55.
Scan into Splash at 12:55. At this point I didn't get to check again until 1:35. At 1:35 book a LL for Peter Pan at 8:40.
At 3:35 book a LL for Laugh Floor at 3:40.
Scan into Laugh Floor at 3:40 and book Pirates for 6:20.
At 5:40 book a LL for Magic Carpets at 6:50.
Scan into Pirates at 6:20 and book Small World for 8:25,
Scan into Magic Carpets at 6:50 book Dumbo for 7:40.
Scan into Dumbo at 7:40 and book Speedway for 9:15.
Scan into Small World at 8:25 and book Teacups for 10.

I know some of those later ones probably wouldn't even need a LL, but I was trying to see how many I could fit into a day. I got 13, if I did that right. Feedback welcome!
You're okay until 6:20. However, you cannot book another G+LL after scanning into Pirates at 6:20 because your most-recently-booked G+LL was Magic Carpets. IF you had booked Small World after Magic Carpets (which you couldn't in this scenario), you would not be able to book another one as soon as you scanned into Magic Carpets at 6:50 since Small World was then your most-recently-booked one. Ditto for after scanning into Small World at 8:25 when it wasn't your most-recently-booked G+LL. What you're trying to do for the evening hours is use a double stack. Back in November, Disney closed the loophole that permitted double stacks.

I hope you remembered to use your Peter Pan at 8:40.:)

I believe, up to this point, you would have been correct. And here's where I think your assumptions are incorrect:
Scan into Laugh Floor at 3:40 and book Pirates for 6:20 (LL-a).
At 5:40 book a LL for Magic Carpets at 6:50 (LL-b - now your most recently booked LL).
Scan into Pirates (LL-a) at 6:20 and book Small World for 8:25,
Scan into Magic Carpets (LL-b) at 6:50 book Dumbo for 7:40 (LL-c).
Scan into Dumbo at 7:40 and book Speedway for 9:15.
Scan into Small World at 8:25 and book Teacups for 10.

I know some of those later ones probably wouldn't even need a LL, but I was trying to see how many I could fit into a day. I got 13, if I did that right. Feedback welcome!
Where you diverged is when you had to wait the 2 hours after getting Laugh Floor at 3:40. Once you made the Magic Carpets LL at 5:40, that became the LL from which your NEXT LL choice would be based. Remember, when you can make your next LL is based on the most recently booked LL. If your most recently booked LL can be redeemed in less than two hours, you will be able to book the next LL after you've tapped in for the LL ride. If your most recently booked LL is more than two hours away, then you must wait two hours and book. Your original plan was the "loophole" that has since been closed. Once you booked LL-b at the two hour mark, LL-a no longer has bearing on when you can book LL-c. Hope that helps (and that I'm correct!! lol)

I believe, up to this point, you would have been correct. And here's where I think your assumptions are incorrect:

Where you diverged is when you had to wait the 2 hours after getting Laugh Floor at 3:40. Once you made the Magic Carpets LL at 5:40, that became the LL from which your NEXT LL choice would be based. Remember, when you can make your next LL is based on the most recently booked LL. If your most recently booked LL can be redeemed in less than two hours, you will be able to book the next LL after you've tapped in for the LL ride. If your most recently booked LL is more than two hours away, then you must wait two hours and book. Your original plan was the "loophole" that has since been closed. Once you booked LL-b at the two hour mark, LL-a no longer has bearing on when you can book LL-c. Hope that helps (and that I'm correct!! lol)
Thank you! That is tremendously helpful. I had a feeling it couldn't quite be right.

Try going to My Day and click on Get Started Now (for Disney Genie). When you get to the Attractions, click on the one(s) you want to pin, and see if that works.
Thank you! This fixed it! I did a lot of refreshing and was able to get what we want earlier in the day. But with the mad dash with Spring Break this is most helpful! Thank you again!

Saw the video, Pretty sure TP is wrong about this. The person making the video said they weren't actually sure about it.
Not exactly the same thing, but on 3/11 we booked Safari in AK at 7 am with a 9:15 return time. I think we got to the ride around 9:30 and then was able to book at HS, even though it only had been opened an hour. I know technically we were allowed to book anyway because we had used our LL, but it worked for us.

Not exactly the same thing, but on 3/11 we booked Safari in AK at 7 am with a 9:15 return time. I think we got to the ride around 9:30 and then was able to book at HS, even though it only had been opened an hour. I know technically we were allowed to book anyway because we had used our LL, but it worked for us.
Thanks for the data point. That is consistent with the rule that when hopping, you can book your 2nd LL 2 hours after the park opens where you booked your 1st LL. Irrespective of park reservation or where you're hopping to.

It seemed in the beginning the consensus was that G+ wasn’t worth it for Epcot. With frozen now an option, do people think it is worth it now?

Let's say HS opens at 9 am. You get lucky at 7 am and book a LL for SDD with a 10:15 am return time. Before you have a chance to check in for SDD at 10:15 am, the ride goes down and stays down for the next hour. Will G+ immediately convert this to an anytime, multiple experience LL at 10:15 am when the ride goes down, or will it wait until the end of the window and convert it at 11:15 am? If it converts at 10:15 am, do you get to book a new LL when it converts, or will you now have abide by the 2 hour rule to wait until 11 am?

It seemed in the beginning the consensus was that G+ wasn’t worth it for Epcot. With frozen now an option, do people think it is worth it now?
The interesting thing about Epcot is that other than Test Track and Frozen, which you're only going to get one or the other, everything else has availability almost all day, well at least today, anyway. I guess Soarin' runs out too and would need to be picked before noon. But for most rides, you could probably say, I want to ride this ride, select that as your next pass, walk to the ride and get on with the pass. The problem is, most of these rides will have 10-20 minute waits all day or under 5 later in the day. So you probably still don't need it on most days, other than when it's probably a crowd level 8 or higher day.

Screenshot_20220321-180314.png

It's always variable by person and day though. If you think you'd like it to skip 2 or 3 long lines, go for it, but if you're ok with a couple long lines, you can probably skip it. Here's the waits at 7:30 pm. I'll bet everything down to Nemo is a walk on.

Screenshot_20220321-182700.png
Screenshot_20220321-182713.png

It's not always that bad...

If you get there right away, you can get on in 20-30 minutes. 😂🤣. Though within 30 minutes of park opening it's an hour wait already and too late to decide to buy Genie+ for a FEA LL

Screenshot_20220321-190921.png

Let's say HS opens at 9 am. You get lucky at 7 am and book a LL for SDD with a 10:15 am return time. Before you have a chance to check in for SDD at 10:15 am, the ride goes down and stays down for the next hour. Will G+ immediately convert this to an anytime, multiple experience LL at 10:15 am when the ride goes down, or will it wait until the end of the window and convert it at 11:15 am? If it converts at 10:15 am, do you get to book a new LL when it converts, or will you now have abide by the 2 hour rule to wait until 11 am?

Having just experienced this exact scenario yesterday (but with a 1000 SDD return time) we were able to book our next G+ right at the beginning of the window at 10:00. It converted to an anytime pass at the start of the window.

On a side note, the anytime pass wasn't good for TOT or MMRR on top of Rise and Meet & Greets which surprised me.

My understanding is that when an LL converts to an anytime LL due to ride closure, it's treated as if the original LL was never made. If it was your most recently booked LL you can rebook right away, and you can book the original ride through the regular LL process should it come back up later.

My understanding is that when an LL converts to an anytime LL due to ride closure, it's treated as if the original LL was never made. If it was your most recently booked LL you can rebook right away, and you can book the original ride through the regular LL process should it come back up later.

From my experience yesterday it did keep my original Slinky LL and we were able to use it when the ride came back up in the afternoon.

I was nervous it would use the anytime reservations when we were using the new LLs we had gotten for Toy Story and the Frozen show but it didn't. I made sure never to scan in early or late though to the new LLs so it wouldnt try to use the Slinky anytime passes.

I have not totally caught up on this thread so I apologize if this was already discussed! How is it working out for AK with the early entry starting at 7:00 am? Do they let people in a little before 7:00 or is everyone trying to both book LLs/ILL$ and run to Pandora at the same time? Thank you!

Thanks. We’re not rope droppers and Frozen is definitely a must do. Are you really not able to get TT as well?
I think it depends on how crowds are, but it’s 10am EST now with Epcot opening at 8:30. TT and Frozen are both gone. My plan for April is to rope drop one and genie+ the other.

Just a heads up with those dealing with Spring Break crowds. Today I decided to try tracking Hollywood Studios. Runaway Railway was gone at 11am. I did eventually see one for 8:25pm after doing a lot of refreshing, but of course that quickly went away. So, I had pretended to get a Smuggler's Run at 7am for 12:05pm and then at 11am my next must - do...was essentially unavailable. I'm not a fan of the poop emoji, but I feel like it would be appropriate here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter