• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

ok awesome! so i assume that is a smart thing to do? have us both on at 7AM to get ill$ or say a genie+ ride if need be? or even a virtual queue ride like cosmic rewind? i'm sorry i feel like such a rookie. its been awhile it feels.
It is probably the easiest.
If you are familiar with the app you can also just use two devices at the same time. For example, I use my phone and my ipad.
Family can stay asleep or do what they have to do in the morning.

If you are familiar with the app you can also just use two devices at the same time. For example, I use my phone and my ipad.
right right. yah im mindless i think at times. so for VC rides I setup the list of people I want pass for before 7 AM. then I hit refresh or join group right at 7 AM? thats about it?

is that the same process for ill$? you setup the group first or do you just pick the ride at 7 AM and select guests and time like old day of fast passes?

am i missing something. im not worrying about genie+ its a 11 day trip. we will just suck it up for the stuff thats new on genie+ like mickey and minnie train in HS and SR in GE. We haven't even seen star wars land yet. its been that long.

right right. yah im mindless i think at times. so for VC rides I setup the list of people I want pass for before 7 AM. then I hit refresh or join group right at 7 AM? thats about it?

is that the same process for ill$? you setup the group first or do you just pick the ride at 7 AM and select guests and time like old day of fast passes?

am i missing something. im not worrying about genie+ its a 11 day trip. we will just suck it up for the stuff thats new on genie+ like mickey and minnie train in HS and SR in GE. We haven't even seen star wars land yet. its been that long.
Are you aware of the 'Everything Genie' thread? That might be a place to look. The posts on page 1 summarize Genie+ and ILL$ and were recently updated to reflect recent changes and tweak previous posts since we understand the program more now.

Hi.
I'm planning for my trip next month.
Why do I want my phone and ipad? Is it just because in case one doesn't work? Or do you use one and have the other ready to go?
Thank you very much!

js, I think that the strategy is to constantly refresh both devices to "double" your chances of getting a good time slot. I have heard that some people use data on their phone and Wifi on the iPad to try different paths.

I’m bringing all 6 iPads from my house and I’ll have 3 iPhones in front of me. That should cover me. I hope. I might hire some day labor to sit with me and refresh.

Joke. But it is what we have come to. Horrible. I think I’m going to buy ill$ for cosmic rewind and rise. I don’t care about avatar cause we have been on it a ton. Mine train same. Tons. If trinity is open I’ll buy that also. I don’t feel like dealing with it all. We will still do our rope drops like we used to. I might. Might do genie plus for HS only cause we have not been on the falcon and Mickey Minnie train. That will help for toy story land cause my kids love it over there still. Other than that we wait. We got 9 full full park days. All we really have to do is star wars land and stuff that opened after that so not too much. I’m already into it for a lot for tickets cause we have up our Al’s during Covid so what’s a few hundred more to keep me sane.

For what it’s worth, I did all my genie selection on one device, and we rode every ride via genie or paid lightning lane during the trip (yes even star tours, it’s a small world etc). I also paid no attention to if I was on mobile data or resort wifi. The only thing that ever mattered was the time and order of choosing selections. If I made first selection bang on 7 (using my watch to see seconds) I was always in an early morning boarding group. Same with paid things at park open as an offsite guest, could get Rise etc

I agree with the suggestion for Splash / Thunder as your RD at MK. I would choose Jungle Cruise or Peter Pan for your first G+, although the first choice doesn't matter as much as the other parks (everything has decent availability to be a second or third pick).

For HS, I would definitely not RD Slinky and especially not Rise... they'll be too crowded. I would go for RnR or ToT. Yes, Smugglers and TSM tend to have decent availability as LL picks. Slinky should definitely be the first pick at 7am. Next pick Smugglers, then Tot, RnR, Runway Railway if you want any of those... TSM can be saved for a later pick.

EPCOT - Book Remy at 7am for sure. It can be gone before you get to make your second pick. Second pick is TT or Frozen, whichever you prefer knowing you likely won't get the other. Soarin will be available as a third pick.

If you're spending the whole day at EPCOT, don't sweat the VQ for Guardians too much. If you don't get in at 7am, you can get in at 1pm VERY easily. As long as you try at 1pm, you'll get a boarding group for sure.
Hi, I have this same plan but two options for HS, one with RoTR ILL and one RD RoTR. I'm also staying off property and getting an RoTR at park opening is not always possible. The line for RoTR will be shorter as soon as the park opens or before closing, but this last option is good if you have another day at HS. Breakdowns for that ride are high so consider this when planning.

We are planning on using genie plus for AK although I understand it might not be needed. we aren’t planning on getting there until around 10:00. My question is will we still need to get up at 7:00 to try and get the ILL and the first genie plus ride or can we wait until later to try? Looking at the wait times today they seem pretty manageable. Does anything ever run out at AK? Thanks!

We are planning on using genie plus for AK although I understand it might not be needed. we aren’t planning on getting there until around 10:00. My question is will we still need to get up at 7:00 to try and get the ILL and the first genie plus ride or can we wait until later to try? Looking at the wait times today they seem pretty manageable. Does anything ever run out at AK? Thanks!
Probably depends a bit on when you go, but here's Monday's data for how long LLs were available for each attraction

Screenshot_20220907-033623.png

Basically, you could wait til you got up, but I'd definitely get up before park opening to grab your first one so you're eligible again 2 hours after park opening for your second one.

I was there a few weeks ago before the lull. I got up at 7 to book for AK but my family didn't get up became we had the Halloween party the night before. I totally could have slept in. The only good think is my firs

Hello all.
Doing one day at EPCOT next week.
First trip back since we sold our DVC in 2020 so staying off property.
First trip since Genie +
Will be there at park opening.
I have read crowds are low right now.
want to ride Soarin, Test Track and Ratatouille.
Do you think we will need Genie +. Just 2 adults going.
i would rather spend my 30 US dollars on Food and Wine booths.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello all.
First trip since Genie +
Thoughts?
I would save your money, the parks have been pretty dead. Remy is likely to have the longest line of those 3 and according to the data, the average peak wait over the last week is 65 minutes. Average wait overall is 45 minutes. As long as you go when crowds are lower (such as in the evening) you probably won't have to wait more than 30 minutes.

Average wait for Test Track has been 47 minutes and for Soarin, 14 minutes.

Hello all.
First trip since Genie +
Thoughts?

I think you'll be fine, especially if you are okay to do single rider on Test Track.

G+ actually worked pretty well for us last week. I'd purchased it for length of stay when that was an option, otherwise I might have skipped purchasing for EPCOT and AK. But our days went pretty much like this...

EPCOT - booked VQ BG for GotG at 7 am and then LL for Remy. Remy was down during the morning and we got an automatic "any time" LL for it. After riding GotG, I was able to book a LL for Frozen that was only about 45ish minutes in the future. After that, I ended up having to keep checking and waiting for return times to get late enough for TT, Soarin', & SE because we wanted to just spend some time walking around World Showcase, sampling Food & Wine, and seeing Voices of Liberty and the American Adventure.

Eventually, I went ahead and booked Soarin' for essentially an immediate return time. The line was only about 15 minutes long and pretty much to the merge point, so it didn't really make a difference. Same with Spaceship Earth. I was able to book a LL for TT, but due to weather, it closed and never came back up, so I didn't ride TT this visit.

DHS - I booked LL for SDD and then ILL$ for RotR. Slinky was down during the morning, so we got another "any time" LL for it. I booked MF:SR as our next LL and didn't have to wait two hours before our time and eligibility to book the next one. We then got LL for MMRR. We used our any time LL for SDD (bypassing a 1-hour+ line) and then went to our RotR ILL$ reservation around 1 pm.

After that, I booked a LL for ToT, which was essentially an immediate return time, followed by RnRC (again with an return time that I didn't have to wait for). I then booked a LL for Jungle Cruise (one of the few rides with a return time late enough).

We hopped back to EPCOT to get some more Food & Wine samples for our evening meal and then ride the monorail over to MK. We got to MK around 7 pm and I immediately booked another LL for Haunted Mansion. We rode JC and HM. We then rode Pirates using the SB line (it was a walk-on, so no point in booking LL for it).

I had pretty good luck stacking LLs for the park we were hopping too, but because it was a lot less busy than previous weeks, I kept having to wait until return times were late enough.

For AK, I booked ILL$ for FoP at 7 am. I knew we weren't going to get to the park early after being at MK until almost 1 am, and return times for the Safari and NRJ were both too early, so I nodded back off to half asleep and woke up every know and then to check my phone... return times still too early. Eventually, a time popped up for NRJ that was late enough for when we would be arriving and I snagged it. We got LL for the Safari next, and then one for FotLK.

SB lines for Dinosaur, EE, etc. were really short. No need for a LL and because a bad thunderstorm was threatening, we decided to skip the other rides and head back to the resort anyway.

Overall, I was satisfied with G+. Using these strategies, I was able to get as many LLs in a day as I used to get FPs in the old days. Ironically, I think I could have gotten more if it had been slightly busier because I would have been able to obtain LLs with return times late enough and started the clock for my next one sooner.

For some of the rides, lines were short and it didn't save us a significant amount of time, but it was good "insurance" because it did save us between 45-90 minutes for several rides throughout the week. It really enhances a visit for us when we don't wait more than 15 minutes for ANY of the rides.

We got back a couple weeks ago and although I didn't like having the extra cost, I really liked Genie+, and that was during low crowds. Even though a lot of rides were walk on, it still let us bypass lines for those that weren't at least once.

At Magic Kingdom, we used it for almost every non-show ride (not needed for shows). Even if the lines were 30 minutes, it let us bypass that.

At Epcot, you really didn't need it overall as rides such as Soarin, Living with the Land, etc were walk on. However, the 3 headliners were long waits: Test Track, Remy and Frozen. And since it was low crowds, we were able to grab a LL for each of them. Normally, from what they sell out so may not work to use it for all 3.

At Animal Kingdom, probably not worth it It was quite ridiculous for us as we saw Avatar having a wait time of 10 - 15 minutes at a few points (and were annoyed we had paid for it). It was good for attractions like Everest and Navi. The Safari ride was walk on.

At Hollywood Studios, it helped for Millennium Falcon, Tower of Terror, Rock n Roll Rollercoaster and SDD. I would also say that a $ILL was worth it for Rise as that line never went down from when I looked.

These past few recent trips since the start of Genie, we've been using it about 5-6 for every 8 park days (7 night stays typically). Our May trip, only 4 bought G+ days, and this past week only 2 days out of 8 (planned for 5). And it actually worked out great.

Prior to the 1st trip since G+, we had it in our heads (and I think many people feel that they have to buy it) that we'd want it nearly every day, based on our RD to close, fast paced ride hungry touring style, at least for MK/HS. However, this past trip being in early Sept., crowds were lower than many times of the year. It also rained heavily for several hours (not just briefly in afternoon), which not only took out some crowds but caused outdoor attraction closings. Wife being pregnant played into experimenting without G+ more. We had more table service on non G+ days, along with piling ride heavy lineups on G+ days and lower wait time rides, F&W booths and concert, and shows (Presidents, Country Bears, Philhar, Carousel, etc.). were set aside for non G+ days. We also had 2 TL days and didn't feel that we were going to get full use of G those days. Before we knew it, we had 2 G+ uses and the 2nd one which was MK on Labor Day was a waste since wait times were the lowest we've seen in several years. 7D was typically listed at 40 and actual was 20-25 in the heart of the day not near Enchantment. I went on 2-3x on the 3 mountains multiple times. It just illustrates that it's not always a must to buy G+ each day. A lot of variables and personal preferences, like anything else, go into if G+ is necessary or not. The past 2 earnings calls, Chapek touted the increase in G+ use, now at about 50% of attendance. Not looking forward to when we get to a price increase once they feel justified in doing so.

Yesterday, 9/13, my DH and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by completing a 6 park/30 ride challenge starting at Universal for two parks and then doing all 4 Disney parks. I thought I would post the results here since we made excellent use of G+ and ILL.

We purchased G+ at 7 as we were walking to early hours at IOA. We had to wait a few minutes to get Peter Pan out to 10:40 so that we could use it when we arrived. At 8:00 (MK park opening) we scheduled SDMT at 2:10 and GoG for 8:00. At 10:10 we scheduled Pooh for 12:05. After that we just used G+ to schedule the next available ride in MK. We booked EE while we were leaving MK for 3:20, and we booked TSMM from AK for 4:45. After that it took some refreshing and a bit of luck but DH snagged a Remy for 8:20.

Final numbers:
18.8 miles walked
31 rides (listed below)
10 G+ rides

8am Park opening at Islands of Adventure
9pm Park close at Epcot

Rides at Universal's Islands of Adventure:
Hagrid's Motorbike Roller Coaster
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Flight of the Hippogriff coaster
One Fish Two Fish
The Cat in the Hat
Spiderman
Hulk Coaster

Rides at Universal Studios Florida:
Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York
Men in Black Alien Attack
Simpsons Hurl and Curl

Rides at Magic Kingdom:
Peter Pan - G+
Winnie the Pooh - G+
Tea Cups
Dumbo
Barnstormer
Little Mermaid
Thunder Mountain Railroad - G+
Pirates of the Caribbean - G+
Aladdin's Magic Carpets
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - ILL
Space Mountain - G+
Buzz Lightyear - G+
Haunted Mansion - G+

Rides at Animal Kingdom:
Expedition Everest - G+
Triceratops Spin
Dinosaur

Rides at Hollywood Studios:
Toy Story Midway Mania - G+
Star Tours

Rides at Epcot:
Test Track
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure - G+
Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind - ILL

Yesterday, 9/13, my DH and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary by completing a 6 park/30 ride challenge starting at Universal for two parks and then doing all 4 Disney parks. I thought I would post the results here since we made excellent use of G+ and ILL.

We purchased G+ at 7 as we were walking to early hours at IOA. We had to wait a few minutes to get Peter Pan out to 10:40 so that we could use it when we arrived. At 8:00 (MK park opening) we scheduled SDMT at 2:10 and GoG for 8:00. At 10:10 we scheduled Pooh for 12:05. After that we just used G+ to schedule the next available ride in MK. We booked EE while we were leaving MK for 3:20, and we booked TSMM from AK for 4:45. After that it took some refreshing and a bit of luck but DH snagged a Remy for 8:20.

Final numbers:
18.8 miles walked
31 rides (listed below)
10 G+ rides

8am Park opening at Islands of Adventure
9pm Park close at Epcot

Rides at Universal's Islands of Adventure:
Hagrid's Motorbike Roller Coaster
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Flight of the Hippogriff coaster
One Fish Two Fish
The Cat in the Hat
Spiderman
Hulk Coaster

Rides at Universal Studios Florida:
Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York
Men in Black Alien Attack
Simpsons Hurl and Curl

Rides at Magic Kingdom:
Peter Pan - G+
Winnie the Pooh - G+
Tea Cups
Dumbo
Barnstormer
Little Mermaid
Thunder Mountain Railroad - G+
Pirates of the Caribbean - G+
Aladdin's Magic Carpets
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - ILL
Space Mountain - G+
Buzz Lightyear - G+
Haunted Mansion - G+

Rides at Animal Kingdom:
Expedition Everest - G+
Triceratops Spin
Dinosaur

Rides at Hollywood Studios:
Toy Story Midway Mania - G+
Star Tours

Rides at Epcot:
Test Track
Remy's Ratatouille Adventure - G+
Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind - ILL
:cheer2:o_O:cheer2:

Wow!! That’s impressive!! Good for you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter