The Give a Day Thread~Share Your Experience

Wife & I volunteered today - 3/27. We already do a lot of volunteer work, but not this facet. We helped the local parks & rec put on a Bunny Bash for the kids in the area. I was the photographer for photos with the Easter Bunny, and my wife did setup for egg hunt and other activities. It went well, and over 100 kids had a great time. Well worth it, and it got us in the Easter spirit.

My sister and I went yesterday to Feed the Children. We were set up in an assembly line and filled boxes. We were only there 2 1/2 hours and it went by fast. They had different rooms for different boxes. We were in the hygiene room. Our room did 23 pallets; there are 200 boxes for every 10 pallets. So we filled over 400 boxes, not bad for a couple hours of work. Definitely came out discussing when the kids get older it would be good for them to do.

Everyone's stories are so wonderful! This is an awesome thread - Please keep it going! I volunteer regularly with a local mentoring program, but the GADGAD program & HON introduced me to a variety of other volunteer opportunities in my area I never knew existed! My GADGAD volunteer time was with a local thrift shop, Liberty Thrift, and the experience was fantastic! Along with a few other volunteers (some GAD, some not), I was assigned to sort donated clothes on a Friday morning this month. It was not difficult work, and we had such a fantastic time that we even skipped our lunch break so we could give an extra half hour of volunteer time to the organization! This type of enthusiasm is not created from a free theme park ticket - it really is caused by magic! The magic of those who want to help others! These organizations survive and prosper on this magic whether Disney is encouraging it or not. Disney, who has their own form of magic, understands it, and made a wonderful choice to encourage it in us this year! Now it is up to us to keep that magic coming! Thank you to both the volunteers and Disney!

We did our volunteer work last Saturday (4/3) at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. It was a blast! Talked to the director today and she said that she verified it yesterday - so I am waiting on my vouchers!

We are going to keep volunteering there this summer.

Our family of seven did our GAD service yesterday for Meals on Wheels in Alamance County, NC, and we loved it! We're now just waiting for our vouchers. :)

Four of our five kids created handmade cards and baked and bagged cookies to go along with the meals we delivered. When we got to the MoW office, we found that the staff there had crafted Easter bunnies out of old Pringles potato chip cans, so we had a whole bunch of stuff to deliver with our meals.

We had 14 meals to deliver. I drove, DH navigated and did the paperwork, our three princesses were my delivery helpers (giving out cookies, cards, and bunnies), and the two boys were responsible for pulling out the meals and drinks from the carriers in the back of the car. Each of the residents we delivered to seemed SO happy to see the kids and they loved the cards, cookies, and bunnies. The kids loved it and even DH got into it, which was surprising, given how much of a hermit he is. :laughing:

I've done MoW previously but haven't had the ability to do it in some time, due to my work schedule. I was hoping to drive for them on weekends but the don't do weekend deliveries (sigh). I did promise I'd come volunteer whenever I have days off during the week.

DH and I volunteered today at a church down the street from our house in their food pantry. We unloaded food and stocked shelves and were there for 2 hours. Great experience!

I volunteered at a retirement home for a Mardi Gras party (I know I'm late posting this)! I spent 5 hours helping setup decorations and serving beverages and food to the folks that live there. I earned my voucher already, but even more importantly, because of my experience I observed a great need for volunteers at this retirement home.

As a result of the Give a Day, Get a Day promotion, I am now volunteering once a week at this place. I take my dog there as a kind of "therapy" for the residents since they cannot own pets. They love petting Savannah, an austrailian blue heeler/beagle mix. They also call me now anytime they need additional help with events similar to the Mardi Gras party, such as their Academy Awards, St. Patrick's Day, and Kentucky Derby parties! I really am glad that I gave a day which has now evolved into something so much more. In fact, what's more than the free day I earned is that I gained a sense of accomplishment helping others in need. :yay:

I really am glad that I gave a day which has now evolved into something so much more. In fact, what's more than the free day I earned is that I gained a sense of accomplishment helping others in need. :yay:

That is FANTASTIC! We had much the same experience working for Habitat for Humanity. We volunteered on 4/3 and we received our vouchers today. The kids will be redeming theirs at the parks (one wants the fast pass and the other wants the Mickey hat/pin set). DH and I donated ors to the Dreams Take Flight organization.

As a result of our "Give a Day" we are signed up to volunteer once a month at the Habitat Restore and the my DH & DS are on the house building team.
:flower3:

We donated shoes and other things for kids in an orphanage overseas. I also had my sons make cards for the kids. I dropped them off on Monday and got my vouchers today!!!

At first I was disappointed when Disney changed from the b-day to the volunteer program this year, but now I think it was a great thing since so many took part and will continue to volunteer. Great job Disney.

Can't wait to take advantage of the fast pass option over busy star wars weekend in May!:cool1:

We just returned from our GAD volunteer day. We volunteered at "All Critters Rescue" in Spotswood, NJ, loading and unloading paper towels, vinegar, and pet supplies. It was a beautiful day to be outdoors. We had a great time.

We just did our GAD today. We helped at a Special Olympics swim meet near Chapel Hill, NC. It was nice because they had so many volunteers, that the parents could sit in the stands and watch instead of doing the jobs we were doing.

My family volunteered with 3 seperate charities for the GAD promotion. I collected toiletries for the local Ronald McDonald house, then grouped them in gift bags to be placed in the individual bathrooms in their guestrooms. Each bag had shampoo, conditioner, gender neutral deoderant, toothpaste, a toothbrush, soap, lotion, pen, notepad and tissues. They have 20 bathrooms and each one got a gift bag. We also had enough items left over to make at least another 15 complete gift bags (we ran out of bags eventually!)

24005_1335183951368_1584172280_30781882_657961_a.jpg

My mom and step-dad collected food for a local foodbank and my sister picked up and dropped off supplies for a shelter.

While I was browi=sing through the GAD volunteer opportunities I really wanted to help out with Ronald McDonald charities since we relied on them while DD was in the NICU. But while I was reading through the volunteer opportunities I found out about Project Linus and have made several blankets for our local chapter and I have made it a service project for a club I advise at school :goodvibes

My family and I Donated our time selling Dafadoils for the Cancer Society. We had a small table set up in the local grocery store and spent a few hours helping to raise money.

We recieved our vouchers a coupld of days ago and are looking forward to using one in December and donating the rest.

I'm very lucky to be responsible for community investment at the company I work for. When the Give a Day promotion started many of the charitable organizations I work with were involved and it was pretty much up to me to pick what we were going to do. In the end I picked a local elementary school that needed desperately to update their pre-K courtyard. The area is enclosed with a 70 foot long and 12 foot high concrete wall. It was unpainted and just plain sad. Many of the kids who use the space have disabilities so they can't go out onto the normal playground area due to safety issues.

The principle of the school asked if we could do a mural representing the four seasons. This was a good idea since it would make the wall pretty to look at year round and also provided a visual example of the seasons. We had approximately 25 people lend a hand with the mural over two days most had signed up for the Give a Day promotion. I am fortunate to work with such a great group of people who get out and make a difference every time I ask.

My family of three all participated and we can't wait to use our vouchers in 44 days when we visit WDW. This was just what we needed to get our Disney fix in our final days. Oddly enough this took place 45 days before we left. My husband and I joked this was our final payment for the trip. It was great fun. I love my job!

Here are some pictures of the finished piece.

Spring
IMG_0808.jpg

Summer
IMG_0807.jpg

Fall
IMG_0811.jpg

Winter
IMG_0799.jpg

Panoramic Spring to Winter
IMG_0813.jpg

Pamoramic Winter to Spring
IMG_0812.jpg

We volunteered through the remote Project Linus activity. Our son is ten and we couldn't find any activities in the area for kids that young. It worked out well for us because my dh just spent 12 days in the hospital, and his room was much more cheerful when we brought blankets and pictures from home. Our kids really understood how the blankets we made would bring cheer to kids who were ill or suffering.

100_1083.jpg

100_1091.jpg

It was fun and easy, and we plan to continue volunteering with Project Linus.

I just did my GAD on Sunday. I volunteered for the Fairy Godmother Initiative. It's a local charity that collects donations of prom dresses, and then gives them away to girls who might not be able to afford them otherwise.

There were two other GAD families there and we helped with the set up and break down for the event, and I helped man an accessory table during the event. They held two events and originally I was supposed to work at the first one, but due to a few communication issues I didn't hear anything from them until after the date so I worked at the second event. They had already marked me as a no show for the GAD program, so I probably won't be able to get the ticket because the program has been shut down.

I don't really mind, and am just happy that I was able to help. I knew going into the event over the weekend that I might not be able to get the ticket. I enjoyed being able to help out, and told them to contact me for next year. Hopefully I'll be able to help out in a bigger way.

I was talking to my DD and she helps out at a charity that helps out seniors and she mentioned that they were out of paper products for their clients. I was going to a meeting of all the supervisors at the bank I work at the next day. I sent out an email and the next day I had over 900 rolls of TP for our seniors.:banana::banana::banana:
Now I am planning on a yearly TP Day.:cheer2:
My DH will be cleaning up senior yards on Saturday. :cool1:
We are going to AK for 5 days and the on the Magic in October so the fastpasses will be very fun.pirate:

My DH and I did our project at Bundles of Love. they give out about 150 bundles of items to new babies in need. In the bundle are: a quilt, two burp rags, 2 receiving blankets, wash clothes, wash mitt, two sleepers and a bunch of t=other stuff. My DH and I used the snap press machine to put snaps on sleepers and buntings.

I brought home receiving blankets and burp rags to sew. I made over a hundred of each. Took those back and picked up another box. This time it was the same thing. Took those back and have finished 100 burp rags and have a box of receiving blankets to finish. I will keep doing this because I think it is a wonderful cause.

Sylvia

Our family volunteered at the Arkansas Foodbank Network. Our boys had a noon dismissal from school one Friday, so we arranged to volunteer that afternoon.

For the first couple of hours we put labels on blank cans. The foodbank will buy canned goods with donations and buy them without the labels applied, they save a significant amount of money by having volunteers label them, box them, and then stack the boxes on pallets.

For the last 90 minutes or so, we straightened and stocked shelves with individual items that were donated.

I was very proud of our boys (8 & 11), they worked hard and it was a great learning experience for them. We are going to go back and volunteer some additional days - I guess that's what the GAD program is all about - getting people hooked up with volunteer opportunites and then continue that spirit of volunteerism. We had an email that our vouchers were available within a week of when we volunteered.

We also hooked my parents up in Texas with a volunteer opportunity for them and they earned their vouchers for our May/June trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter