• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Goble Family Christmas Vacation--Wrap Up

rgoble5972

Are we there yet?
CAST

Robin – 41 – Trip planner/recorder
Bill/Dad/Husband of Dianne – 66
Dianne/Mom/Wife of Bill – 63
Lisa/Sister/Wife of Lemuel/Mother of Michael – 43
Lemuel/Brother-in-law/Husband of Lisa/Father of Michael – 37
Michael/Nephew/ONLY Grandchild of Bill and Dianne – 11
Paula/Sister/Wife of Wes – 31 – Sparkly Princess
Wes/Brother-in-law/Husband of Paula – 31

QUIZ

Okay, so I lied. There’s no quiz. But aren’t you a better person for having read the whole report? No? Well I never promised that life was fair now, did I. Look at it this way: you brightened my day by reading the whole report. Now I feel all validated and full of self-worth that someone as important as yourself would take time out of their busy schedule to read a collection of thoughts and events put together by little ol’ me. Doesn’t that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling in the cockles of your heart? (Not that I exactly know what a “cockle” is, but I’m sure there’s a warmth coming from yours now. If it’s coming from somewhere lower, then take a cold shower. Pervert!) And if you didn’t read the whole thing, then please don’t tell me—ignorance is bliss, you know.

SUMMARY

All in all, it was another great trip and we all had a very good time. Traveling with a large group takes a little getting used to, but was a fun experience.

It took us a day or so to realize that we didn’t have to all do everything together or spend every waking moment all together as a family. Once we came to that conclusion, it was a lot more enjoyable to everyone because it allowed us all to go at our own pace so some of us weren’t impatient while the others were worn out all the time.

The one thing that I don’t think I was prepared for was how much longer it takes to do anything with a larger group. You need to allow extra time for everything, since even something as simple as stopping for a bathroom break seemed to eat up chunks of time.

The Grand Californian was, once again, wonderful. It’s truly a lovely hotel and my favorite among the three Disney hotels there. But Robin, you say, it’s the *only* Disney hotel you’ve stayed at there. Okay, be picky about it, will you? It’s true that I haven’t *stayed* at the Disneyland Hotel or at Paradise Pier, but I have visited them and, while I certainly wouldn’t turn down a stay at either place, I would rather be at the Grand Californian.

The weather was kind of a mixed bag this trip. We had sun and rain, cold and warm. The majority of the days were nice and even the days that we had clouds and drizzle didn’t stop us from doing any park activities. It does tend to get cold at night, so be prepared for that if you visit this time of year.

We didn’t have too many sit-down meals this trip. The Blue Bayou was good, as always, and we all enjoyed The Storyteller Cafe as well (though I would definitely split an entree next time due to the large size of the items). We took advantage of the offerings at the concierge lounge for breakfast each morning and throughout the day, so there weren’t that many counter service places that we ate at either. I keep meaning to do a character meal here one of these days, but never seem to get around to it.

The limousine service was a nice treat and more economical than our other options since we had such a large group. I was very pleased with the service and wouldn’t hesitate to use Discount Sedans and Limos again. Also, the limousine finder service on the Mouse Savers website was great.

The holiday decorations were all wonderful. I dare anyone to come to Disneyland this time of the year and not get a huge dose of Christmas spirit.

My next Disney trip will be in July to Disneyland Paris as a guest of the wonderful Wilmot family (okay, so maybe Larry doesn’t have to pay me for mentioning him in my trip report this time) who’s hospitality is only second to Larry’s knowledge of musical groups of the 70’s such as Fleetwood Mac and ELO. I’m looking very much forward to the trip and to spending time with friends. Of course, it’s no summer in London, but it’s not too shabby. Oh yes, and I’m also looking forward to mocking the French unmercifully--an activity that I find muy tres bien!

Thanks for sticking with me. Till next time,

Viva la France!
Robin

I enjoyed your reports, I can't beleive all that you got done even though you were a big group!

Oh my god, I can not wait for your report from Paris Robin! We loved it there!!! My husband and I were engaged infront of the castle! Will you be staying on property there? If so you will LOVE the spacious rooms! When we were there there was a free continential breakfast that came with the stay. We were shocked cause what they considered to be a continential breakfast had HOT foods like eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, oatmeal (prepared not instant), etc!!! It was wonderful!

hmmm, I wonder if Space Mountain will be reopened by then? Oh I am so jealous! I love the que area for Pirates of the Caribbean there! That castle is my favorite (not just because of the engagement either). The castle is done so wonderfully, you'll love the dragon, it's unbelieveable!!! Plus they have the original Hooks ship that used to be in Disneyland! That brought back so many memories for me. I have a photo of my dad and myself when I was about 7 posing with the ships steering wheel, I was so upset when it was removed from Disneyland.....what a surprise for me when I saw it in DLP, I teared up a bit when I saw it. (my father passed when I was 15).

I am so jealous!!!!! Please please be sure to post a report! Who will be joining you from your family?

Oh ps, please post photos from your Disneyland trip, we would LOVE to see some! :earseek:

Thanks Robin, your report was SO helpful! I'm planning a trip to DL soon and you have given me such a detailed picture of what it's like (I was there several times as a child but don't remember anything that will help plan this trip!). I'll be looking forward to hearing about your Paris trip...my DH and I may go there this summer if we have time...yay!
Thanks again, you're a wonderful writer! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter