• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Grand is phasing out bunk beds

whoever

DIS Veteran
Just got off the phone with the front desk trying to secure a bunkbed room for when we check in later today. Apparently they are phasing them out with the renovation. Ugh... I guess no more sleeping 5 to a room. Sucks that we will be relegated to the DLH on future trips as a result.

Well that's a bummer. We were thinking of staying at the GCH for our next trip if we could swing it specifically because of the bunk beds. Park Due Inn still has them right? :teeth:

They'll still have a limited number of daybed rooms. There are pics of a new daybed room on the GCH thread.

Just got off the phone with the front desk trying to secure a bunkbed room for when we check in later today. Apparently they are phasing them out with the renovation...
You should have a good chance to receive a bunk bed room, since most of the hotel has not been renovated.
(wild guess: 30% renovated)

The bed configurations for renovated rooms:
  • 2 queen and loveseat (seating only, non-foldout)
  • 2 queen and daybed -- more common than pre-renovation (only 39)
  • King and sofa (fold out) -- more common than pre-renovation
Tubs are also being eliminated, except in a few HA rooms. New showers have glass doors and look very nice.

You should have a good chance to receive a bunk bed room, since most of the hotel has not been renovated.
(wild guess: 30% renovated)

The bed configurations for renovated rooms:
  • 2 queen and loveseat (seating only, non-foldout)
  • 2 queen and daybed -- more common than pre-renovation (only 39)
  • King and sofa (fold out) -- more common than pre-renovation
Tubs are also being eliminated, except in a few HA rooms. New showers have glass doors and look very nice.
Tubs being eliminated for a hotel which caters to people with young children? That's stupid. Seriously have to question what they are thinking.

Just got off the phone with the front desk trying to secure a bunkbed room for when we check in later today. Apparently they are phasing them out with the renovation. Ugh... I guess no more sleeping 5 to a room. Sucks that we will be relegated to the DLH on future trips as a result.

You'll still be able to do it with two queens and a daybed. Possibly the king and foldout sofa if you don't mind sharing the king with your youngest (IIRC there may be a few more years before she gets too big). Two of the girls can share the queen or sofa-bed.

Although I remember it being a pain when my two sons had to share a bed as there were choruses of 'He's touching me!', 'Quit stealing the covers!' and 'Move OVER!' until they fell asleep. TBH, we usually ended up with DH and I sleeping with 'one each' in the two queens. LOL

Based on a recent tip from Yelp, 200 rooms have been renovated thus far. You may have a chance securing a bunk bed room.

Except the Daybed rooms lack a balcony and have the worst view of any of the rooms.
The original (pre-renovation) daybed rooms are all at the front of the hotel, typical Standard View. Slightly larger (longer) than regular rooms, all have balconies.

The new daybed rooms will be spread throughout the hotel, likely all view types.

Tubs being eliminated for a hotel which caters to people with young children? That's stupid. Seriously have to question what they are thinking.
Have to agree on this one. Same is being done at Yacht Club at WDW, people theorized it was justified because that hotel caters more to adults and convention center clientele. The fact that Disney is doing the exact thing at GCH blows that theory out of the water. I'm guessing showers are easier to maintain for them? Seriously bad choice for a family hotel imho, but I'm not in the hotel biz so what do I know? (I do know something actually! It's a Disney Deluxe-level hotel so it will still sell-out.)

And "Tubs are also being eliminated, except in a few HA rooms. "

Um, tubs in HA rooms? How does that make sense?

The HA rooms at wdw don't tend to have tubs, which again is maddening if you have little kids who don't want a roll in shower.

Who is coming up with these renovations?

That's sad, my kids loved those bunk beds!

Removal of tubs and bunk beds might be an effort to shift families with young children to DLH.

GCH rooms are often described as "small" and "dark". While the renovated rooms are the same size, the lighter colors and more efficient use of space make the rooms seem larger. The glass showers make the toilet/shower room seem larger.

And "Tubs are also being eliminated, except in a few HA rooms. "
Um, tubs in HA rooms? How does that make sense?
There are several HA room configurations. Tubs (some with folddown benches) allow guests to transfer from a wheelchair into the tub. The sink and toilet/shower areas are combined to form a large bathroom.

I'm okay with them taking out the bunkbeds. To me they were so bulky they made the rooms seem that much smaller, and then people would get confused over how many people could sleep in the room, not realizing that the bunks are really kinda short.

I really do like the look of the new rooms. Just hope the price doesn't go up too much!

I'm good with the showers. I just don't like the head in the middle of the ceiling that they've supposedly used. Hopefully the cubicle is big enough that you'll be able to stand out of the flow if you need to.

For those of you with kidlets who still need tubs, are there any kind of inflatable tubs or mini-pools that might fit inside? Although draining would be a problem. Or maybe there will be enough of a 'lip' that you'll be able to plug the shower drain and get a few inches of water.

I have a feeling that showers are probably easier to keep clean than a tub as far as housekeeping goes, and possibly less chance of overflow or a good deal of water being splashed on the floor from tub-play.

I'm good with the showers. I just don't like the head in the middle of the ceiling that they've supposedly used. Hopefully the cubicle is big enough that you'll be able to stand out of the flow if you need to...
There is also an adjustable height hand held shower head :thumbsup2
...For those of you with kidlets who still need tubs, are there any kind of inflatable tubs or mini-pools that might fit inside? Although draining would be a problem. Or maybe there will be enough of a 'lip' that you'll be able to plug the shower drain and get a few inches of water.
I was told that a small tub to be used inside the shower is (or will be) available.
It would be difficult to to block the large rectangular drain...
...I have a feeling that showers are probably easier to keep clean than a tub as far as housekeeping goes, and possibly less chance of overflow or a good deal of water being splashed on the floor from tub-play.
The original tub and shower curtain always seemed to allow water onto the floor. I commented on this issue on several post-visit surveys, so I guess Disney listens to me :goodvibes
gch_shower.jpg

I was told that a small tub to be used inside the shower is (or will be) available.

The original tub and shower curtain always seemed to allow water onto the floor. I commented on this issue on several post-visit surveys, so I guess Disney listens to me :goodvibes
View attachment 232657

The new shower is really gorgeous. It's good to know one can choose between the ceiling and the adjustable. I can see the lever in the picture you posted, thanks!

You're right, the old curtain always seemed to leave good sized puddles on the floor, usually leaving the bath mat drenched! I'm glad they listened to you!

View attachment 232657
Thank you for the picture of the bathroom remodel. It looks very nice.
By chance do you have pictures of the rest of the new rooms?

Geemo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter