The great american Road trip! :)

kelmac284

Lover of all things Disney since 1975
I have done a few trips on the DL trip board but I think this is my first on this board.

I thought it would be fun to keep track of this trip and I am REALLY excited about it!

As an intro my name is Kelly and I have been a member of the Dis since 05 I believe and have been to DL more times than I can count and DW 4 times with my most recent trip being this past November.

My dh and I usually take one family trip a year and my mom likes to take a trip in the summer with my girls and I. Last year we went to DL and we were planning on going again this year and as a matter of fact I have a trip planned for June but we decided to drive and mom decided she wasn't up for that long of a trip and riding with all of us in the car etc. So she decided to forgo that trip and we started thinking of alternate plans.

At first we really wanted to do a southern trip and had planned on Atlanta, Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. We still REALLY want to do that trip but the airfare back there right now is outrageous and since we REALLY want to take a cruise in Feb of 12 that was out. SOOOO we started talking about a road trip to OR/WA. I used to live in WA for 3 years and mom used to come visit and we loved exploring all over up there.

So we are very excited to go and we haven't been since about 04 or 05 I believe.

Our plan is to leave the day after my girls last swim meet on July 17th.

Day one we plan to drive straight through to Crater Lake and we will prob stop along the way in Mt. Shasta and possibly Ashland.

We are spending our first night at the Lodge at Crater Lake which I have ALWAYS wanted to do and then the next day we will get up and head up 97 prob stopping in Bend for lunch (over looking lovely Mt. Bachelor) and then head up 26 possibly stoping at Timerbline to enjoy Mt. Hood for a bit and then into Hood River. We will stay in Hood River that night.

Then the next day we will head out on 84 and stop at the various waterfalls as well as Crown Point and possibly the Bonneville Dam/fish hatchery (and we will prob go on the scenic highway) and then head in to Portland.

Depending on when we get to Portland we will explore downtown possibly have dinner down by the river and then we plan to stay in Vancouver at the Heathman Lodge (I used to live in Vancouver).

The 2nd day we plan to go to the zoo, possibly the Pitock Mansion, explore the Rose Garden and whatever else suits our fancy. Then that night we will either stay at Heathman again or start heading up 5 towards Seattle.

The next day we will go into Seattle and spend the first half of the day doing our list which includes pike's market, Space Needle, Pioneer Square etc. Then we are not quite sure yet where we plan to stay but most likely somewhere downtown. Then on the 2nd day we will finish up whatever we haven't done and then take the Bremerton ferry across and head down the coast. We will work our way slowly back home and some of the places we would like to stop are Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, Newport and wherever else suits our fancy.

Then when we cross back into CA we want to go to Klammath to the Trees of Mystery before we head back over to 5 and head home.

I am REALLY excited for the this adventure and can't wait to go!!!

Look great. The PNW is great during summer.

Will you be skiing at Mt Hood?

Sounds like a great trip. We did Oregon and the Columbia Gorge a few years ago. Mt. Hood is spectacular. The Portland Zoo was a lot of fun as well as the Children's Museum and Forestry Museum (all together). Loved the area. Hoping to go back to the Northwest soon and see Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens and Seattle. Hopefully, we can cross the border and see British Columbia too.

Thanks for joining in :)

To skiingfast, no, no skiing. I haven't skiied in probably 10 years because I have really bad knees. I used to love it though and my parents have a place in Truckee but I just can't do it anymore. We are mainly just going up to enjoy the view and the lodge. Want to show the girls where the SHinning was filmed (exteriors) and I just love it up there.

To Disneyfainz yes I love that whole area. I did pretty much everything I am doing many times before when I lived there but the last time I took my girls there they were about 4 and 5 now they are 10 and 11 so will remember it more and appreciate it more I think.

I LOVE Crater Lake and have been several times but have never stayed at the lodge so really excited about that. You will LOVE Mt. ST. Helens and Seattle. Mt. St. Helens has a really nice visitor center and you can see the crater etc.

And Seattle is tons of fun. Lots to do and see!! Also BC is lots of fun. Victoria and the Butchart Gardens. The San Juan Islands are fun too!

So far we have booked the lodge at Crater Lake for our first night and today I booked a hotel in Hood River for day two.

I plan to book the Heathman on Friday and then we will prob head up I-5 Wed night so we won't get a ressie for that night just wing it depending on where we decide to stay.

Then I am also going to book the Comfort Suites in Seattle. It got good reviews has free parking and breakfast and is near Seattle Center so it is centrally located.

Also one of my Disney friends from OR is going to meet us at the Zoo and I am hoping some of my was Dis friends will meet us on our Seattle days!!

That's it for now but I am really excited about this trip! :)

Sounds great, Kelly!! I can't wait to hear more. :)

I've always wanted to go to the San Juan Islands. You mentioned them, but will you be going there?

Yay Beth great to see you!! Nope not going to the San Juans this trip. Seattle is about as far north as we are going to get on this one. We thought about going to Port Townsend on the Ferry but it is farther north so we are going to cross over at Bremerton. I have been to the San Juans several times when I lived there and it is a great day trip. You leave out of Anacortes which is a really fun little town and the islands are lots of fun to explore as well as the ferry ride over is beautiful on a sunny day!!

I really miss it up there and although I have been to all of these places many times I am looking forward to seeing them again and sharing them with the girls. We took them several years ago when Shane was in Iraq but they were pretty small so it will be fun to go now that they are old enough to remember and hopefully since I am working out I will be in decent enough shape to do some hiking. Now MOM on the other hand don't know WHAT she is going to do LOL. Guess she will have to go to the lodge or gift shop and have a coke! ;)

Yay Beth great to see you!! Nope not going to the San Juans this trip. Seattle is about as far north as we are going to get on this one. We thought about going to Port Townsend on the Ferry but it is farther north so we are going to cross over at Bremerton. I have been to the San Juans several times when I lived there and it is a great day trip. You leave out of Anacortes which is a really fun little town and the islands are lots of fun to explore as well as the ferry ride over is beautiful on a sunny day!!

I really miss it up there and although I have been to all of these places many times I am looking forward to seeing them again and sharing them with the girls. We took them several years ago when Shane was in Iraq but they were pretty small so it will be fun to go now that they are old enough to remember and hopefully since I am working out I will be in decent enough shape to do some hiking. Now MOM on the other hand don't know WHAT she is going to do LOL. Guess she will have to go to the lodge or gift shop and have a coke! ;)
Anacortes and the islands sound really nice! Darn, now I am wishing we stuck with our plans to go there instead of San Diego!! Wonder if I could pull off doing both.... :rolleyes1

:rotfl: Yeah right! Oh well. We'll make it there someday. Maybe that will be our vacation for 2012. I just wonder if my older kids will enjoy it. Adam is 16 and you know how teens can be. They want action, adventure, and most of all, rides!!! And not on a ferry either. ;) Something to keep in mind though.

I have to say hiking doesn't appeal to me. I like a nice long scenic drive so I can sit on my butt. :p I'd probably be hanging out with your mom in the gift shop. lol

Yeah only you know your kiddos. I really like those types of trips and the first time I went up there I was in my early 20's and my parents and I took 3 weeks to work our way up all the way to BC and went to Victoria and such. We had a GREAT time and I really loved it but I know nowadays a lot kids would think that is boring. I know even MY kids get bored quick but I can usually keep them interested with some type of shopping LOL.

If they think they can get a souvenier they are happy LOL.

I will make sure and take LOTS of pics and you def need to go even if it is with Ruben. It is SO pretty up there and make sure you go in either July Aug or Sept. Those are the good times. Not too much rain and usually the best weather :)

Yea for your Oregon DIS friend that will meet you at the zoo......lol OH, that's me!!! :banana: Sounds like a great trip!!! You know, we lived in Medford for 3 yrs & never made it up to Crater Lake......:rolleyes1 Really wanted to, but it never happened. I love the Bend area....would have moved there if Mike had gotten the teaching position at the college a few years back. I actually like Sisters better than Bend.....beautiful area with cute little shops. I've never been up to the mountains around here....we're not skiers & don't have money to go get the gear to be in the snow.....so we watch it on the news.....lol Haven't been to Seattle since high school. We went up there to see the King Tut exhibit & also see the space needle......I bet the girls will enjoy that!

Can't wait to read more as the summer approaches & can't wait to see you all again!!! :hug:

Yay!! I know Laurie I am so excited!! We made our ressie yesterday in Vancouver. We seriously debated staying at the doubtree over by Loyd Center (stayed there last time) since it is right on the Max and we could take that to the zoo but it was more than we wanted to spend. In fact we didn't even book the Heathman as much as I LOVE it. It was pretty decent but they have a REALLY nice Best Western in the same area (next to the Vancouver mall) and I have seen it, used to live real close to that in Orchards, and it is nice. It was cheap and has breakfast etc so we said why not. Any time we can save cash we are going to ;) So we are thinking now we may just drive in and park the car and ride the Max in to both the zoo and also if we want to go to Pioneer Square or downtown.

That first night when we come in from Hood River we are thinking about eating at the Rhinelander. Ever heard of it? I should then take the girls to the ice cream place. Is it still Farrells? Or is it called something else. Or is it even still there??? That would be fun! Anyway I am so excited to see you guys and it will be a blast!

We didn't make our Seattle ressie quite yet cuz we were debating if we wanted to make one or two days and for the night after the zoo we are just going to head up 5 and find somewhere in between. Maybe near Olympia or somewhere along there. No ressie cuz we don't know where we are going to get tired and want to stop.

Then on that Saturday when we leave Seattle and head across on the ferry to Bremerton we don't know how far down the coast we are going to get so we are not sure if we will stop in Seaside or farther down.

Getting really excited!! :)

Unfortunately, Farrell's is no longer in Portland. We used to have 2, one by the Lloyd Center Mall/Rose Garden area & one at Washington Square Mall....but both have been closed for years now.......of course, there is talk of one being built in the future since Farrell's has gotten a 2nd wind & is getting popular again.

What a bummer. I should have known. I haven't lived there in over 12 years and I think the one we went to was the one over by Lloyd center. Oh well. It was a nice thought and esp since my kids have never been to one but we will have lots of other fun stuff to do.

Can't wait to see you again! Going to be fun!!!

You're leaving right when we're getting home! We're going to a lot of the same places too! Gotta love summer vacations in the car, I wouldn't do them any other way.

I hope you have a fabulous time! I live in Portland, and I forget that people come HERE for vacation lol...I should enjoy my little part of the world more....

On the way up to Seattle, you should stay at Great Wolf Lodge! Im sure your girls would LOVE it!!

Thanks to everyone who has posted but I think this trip is off now. My dh has been laid off quite a bit and even though he wasn't going on this trip and my mom was paying for most of it things are going to get REALLY tight money wise and I don't want to put all the burden on my mom so I think we are going to have to forgo it this time. :(

Welp I know I haven't posted in a LONG time on this thread but a lot has changed since I last posted and since mom is paying for this trip and this is the ONLY trip she is taking with the grandkids this year we are still ON!

We are leaving in 2 weeks and we can't wait. At this point my dad is now going with us for part of the trip and as of now he will be leaving us in Portland although my mom said he might stay till Seattle but not sure. I have a feeling though since we already have the plane ticket for Portland he will probably go ahead and go then.

But anyway we are leaving on Sunday July 17th and heading to Crater lake as I stated and staying at the Lodge.

Then getting up bright and early the next morning and driving up through Bend, probably stopping for lunch in Bend and then going up through 97 to 26 and stopping at Timberline to show the lodge to the girls and then on in to Hood River and staying there for the night. We will be at 2 different hotels now because we added dad at the last minute and our orig hotel was booked. Then next day up 84 and onto the old historic hwy 30 and seeing the falls and then into Portland that night at dinner to celebrate dad's birthday at the Rheinlander.

Staying in Vancouver that night and then up bright and early and a stop at Voodoo donuts!! ;) and then on to the zoo to meet up with Laurie and family. Then poking around portland the rest of the day and not sure about dinner that night but have to drop dad off at the airport (if he decides to leave that day) and then one more night in Vancouver.

Then early Thur heading up 5 and taking a detour to Mt. St. Helens visitor center and then up to Seattle.

Friday will be spent exploring Seattle and meeting up with another disney friend and then dinner at our favorite place Anthony's on the pier.

Saturday taking the Bremerton Ferry across and start heading down the coast.

As I mentioned earlier we want to stop in Astoria, Tillamook, Cannon Beach, and prob some other fun spots along the way, Newport, Florence to see the Seals etc and then once we cross the border I want to take the girls to Klammath and the big trees before we cross back over to 5 and head home.

So I will for sure come back and relate our journey when I get back! :)

So I will for sure come back and relate our journey when I get back! :)
I can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics!! Take me with you!! Especially to Voodoo donuts. LOL I've wanted to go there since I saw it on tv a few years ago!

Well we are back from our trip and it pretty much went as I mentioned. The only difference is my dad stayed with us the entire trip.

I probably won't post pics because I took over 300 and just posting the 80 I posted to FB took almost an hour LOL and having to upload them to phtobucket then post them here is a major pain and I will be the first to admit I am too lazy LOL.

But anyway on day one we were up bright and early and headed out. Our first stop was in Corning CA at the Olive plant. We all love olives and I bought a bottle of garlic stuffed olives and mom bought some garlic ones and some cheese stuffed olives as well as some marionberry vinegar YUM!

We then drove on and stopped in Shasta for lunch. Our first and consistent experience the rest of the trip was clouds and fog around all the mountains. We could not see the top of Mt. Shasta at all. It was a beautiful clear day EXCEPT around the mountain. This became the theme of the trip. We had lunch at the black bear diner which was fun and good but it had a LONG wait. Very popular place!

We were then off once again and took a detour off 5 up 97 through Klammath Falls so that my dad could show the girls where he grew up. We went through there and then showed them Midland where he lived and his parents owned an old country store back in the 40's. We then headed up to Crater Lake and once again found a bunch of fog and even some leftover snow on the ground!

That was our first stop for the night and we got settled in and then walked around a bit and explored. Unfortunately it was pretty overcast and dark and the lake was not in it's usual splendor nor were the cute little chipmunks out. Also we had missed the last ranger talk for the evening and it was WAY too cold to sit out on the rocking chairs on the porch and overlook the lake.

We had a nice dinner at the dinning room though and turned in for the night. The next morning we had breakfast there as well and headed out as it was raining. We headed up 97 and had heard about some lava fields and I had been to some years ago so we decided to stop at those when we arrived in Bend. We found a few and unfortunately the ones we stopped at were not the ones I had been to in years past. They were neat however and mom and the girls and I took a hike on the trail. It was pretty interesting and then we took off.

We then had lunch in Bend with MORE rain. We headed up 97 again and then onto 26 and in to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. This is the famed lodge where they filmed the exteriors for the shinning. It is a beautiful lodge and it was fun to explore although again the mountain was enshrined in clouds.

We then headed down the mountain and in to Hood River where we stayed at a great hotel right on the water. We got checked in and then had dinner at their restaurant on the water. Another GREAT day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter