The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe people with health conditions, that can’t wear face masks for health reasons, are exempt.
I wonder what qualifies as a “health reason.”

The mask gives me a headache.
I find it hard to breathe in a mask.
I can’t see well and might fall with a mask.
I sweat in a mask.
The mask makes my face itch (or keeps sliding down), putting me at risk of touching my face, which puts me at higher risk for the virus.

With our laws in this country protecting the privacy of those with medical disabilities, which means Disney can’t ask what our health issues are, there could be lots of mask-less people with “health conditions.”

There could be a t-shirt printed up with a cute little Mickey head and the words “I have a health condition.”

I sweat in a mask.
The mask makes my face itch (or keeps sliding down), putting me at risk of touching my face, which puts me at higher risk for the virus.

With our laws in this country protecting the privacy of those with medical disabilities, which means Disney can’t ask what our health issues are, there could be lots of mask-less people with “health conditions.”

There could be a t-shirt printed up with a cute little Mickey head and the words “I have a health condition.”
Troubling but true.

I sweat in a mask.

I don't recall reading anything about exempt for health reasons. Maybe have a link to info?

I have a health issue and wear procedual masks. Yes, hard to breathe at times, there is wire to hold it in place and it has fogged up my glasses if not worn properly. BUT, because I do have a health issue...I wear a mask.

I think those laws may change in the future. If they are taking temps then the "privacy" is moot.

I'm also in the everyone needs to wear a mask category of your survey (for everyone's safety).

As a "front line" worker, I am required to wear a mask all day at work to protect myself, the people I work with and those that I come into contact with. I now buy my hand lotion in the XL jumbo size bottles because there is no moisture left in my skin from constant glove wearing and hand washing. Fingers crossed...knock wood...I'm staying healthy and hoping to stay that way.

The light at the end of this tunnel is our Disney vacation in late October...again fingers crossed, knock wood. I'll be bringing my masks to protect myself and others.

If masks are not mandatory at Disney opening, I hope that the Disney CM's are given N95 masks so they can properly protect themselves from those who "opt out" JMHO

My DD worked as a “close friend” of several popular characters at Universal Studios for almost 10 years. Laughs her head off when people say wearing a mask is too uncomfortable yet get all huffy when a character meet & greet in 90+ degree heat ends before their kid’s turn. You know what they say about payback!

I work at an outdoor tourist attraction, and it is nowhere near as hot as Florida is, and I'm required to wear a mask. I am covered in sweat and have trouble breathing only after an hour or so. I'm young and have no pre-existing health conditions. All these people who think they're going to wear a mask all day, in the Florida heat, are kidding themselves.

If masks are required from guests, I foresee people keeping them on for about 5 minutes, just long enough to enter the park, and then taking them off whenever a CM isn't looking.

All these people who think they're going to wear a mask all day, in the Florida heat, are kidding themselves.

If masks are required from guests, I foresee people keeping them on for about 5 minutes, just long enough to enter the park, and then taking them off whenever a CM isn't looking.

Yup...as a lifelong Floridian, I can attest that Aug and Sept's brutal humidity and face masks aren't going to play well together. People who have to wear them at work (usually in ac) is one thing - not easy in and of itself. But people paying thousands of dollars on vacation while trying to deal with the sweltering sun and humidity? Whole other animal.

When I go to a park, I’ll be wearing a mask. A friend made me Disney masks!

I will probably go first thing in the morning or before closing when it’s not as hot.

My dh is an essential worker and has been wearing a mask 8 to 12 hours a day. And he’s been wearing a mask when he speed walks 3 to 6 miles a day. It took some getting use to.

He says the hardest part is not touching his face. He’s around sick people at work, so he’s learned to be disciplined and not touch his mask or face. He keeps saying he doesn’t think I’d make it all day with a mask on and not touching my face.

I hope N95 masks are soon in over abundance and available to lay people. I’d feel much safer with one.

In the meantime, these are our cloth masks

78CE6BB2-4D70-4DFC-BBB0-5C4C42C2097D.jpegDBC24147-8B8A-43FD-9904-4D0808D87663.jpegBF8AFBD5-2BDA-46C2-A18E-D454CF00F148.jpeg4149B624-690D-48D4-818B-511F3F88A629.jpeg0BEE8560-7910-4113-9F4F-C26E84F1E3EA.jpeg

For the poll, I think that they'll make everyone coming in wear a mask. I personally feel that it should only be recommended for guests, and like others above have pointed out, after an hour or two, people are going to start taking them off anyways, especially outside. Plus, how are you supposed to walk around eating popcorn with a mask on?

I mentioned this in another thread(that I possibly derailed before seeing this one) that I'm hoping that we don't see a lot of Karens out there acting as mask/social distance vigilantes at the parks.

For the poll, I think that they'll make everyone coming in wear a mask. I personally feel that it should only be recommended for guests, and like others above have pointed out, after an hour or two, people are going to start taking them off anyways, especially outside. Plus, how are you supposed to walk around eating popcorn with a mask on?

I mentioned this in another thread(that I possibly derailed before seeing this one) that I'm hoping that we don't see a lot of Karens out there acting as mask/social distance vigilantes at the parks.

There's already plenty of Karens virtue signaling about it on the regular Community board. You better believe they'll all be out in droves in the WDW parks. :rotfl2:

I think the whole "mask makes me feel uncomfortable" argument is going to go out the window once people realize that this disease is claiming people without pre-existing conditions too. And now we have children without known preexisting conditions getting seriously ill. I'm telling you, we simply do not know enough about this disease to feel comfortable taking major risks when they don't have to.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/...us-illness-claims-3-children-in-new-york.html
I believe people with health conditions, that can’t wear face masks for health reasons, are exempt.
I doubt that if they require masks, they will allow for a massive loophole. Very few, if any, health conditions preclude a light surgical mask. There are people extremely sick in the ICU who are wearing masks if they have to be transported. Remember the masks are to protect other people from the mask wearer, not the other way around.

One could argue that the person who does not want to comply with the rules about wearing masks to protect others should be the one staying home.
Oh, they shouldn't either lol. I'm a comply with rules kinda person, always have been (I would send myself to my room if I ever got in trouble as a child. I wouldn't eat my dinner, I would sit in my room and think about what I had done while preparing for my parents to come in), but I'm also not one to be confrontational and put up a stink if someone else isn't doing what they're supposed to do. If it's a rule that you have to I'll leave it for Disney to deal with if they're going to be serious about it. I personally don't find it hard to breathe with a non-surgical mask on, but I've been debating whether I could deal with the thicker fabric masks that I've ordered or had made for me. I could barely keep them on while grocery shopping on Friday, meanwhile the day before I wore a thinner non-surgical mask for most of the day as I went to different doctors appointments and lap tests (covid really did a number on my lungs/body when I had it in March), there was no use continuing to take it off just to put it on again a mile down the road, so I just left it on. Is it a personal decision everyone needs to make if Disney requires masks in the parks, if you don't want to or can't wear one you might want to reconsider your trip.

My concern with this statement is that if someone can't wear the facemask for health reasons, then is a Disney Park the place they should be at this time?

I voted that everyone except toddlers would be required to wear the mask all day except while eating, obviously. No one is required to attend the parks. If you don't want to wear a mask, don't go to Disney till it's cooler or the requirement is lifted. Disney can make their own rules. It's private property.

Countries that wear masks are getting a handle on this virus and research indicates they are effective.

As a nation, we would do well to heed this advice.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says
Are masks comfortable? No. Do they work? Yes.

They are likely one of the things we are going to have to get used to in order to move forward. I believe that Disney will require masks if they reopen while this virus is so rampant.

Last edited:

The problem will be the same as with GAC. People who don't really have a health reason to not wear a mask will say they do just so that they can be exempt. How can Disney differentiate between legitimate health reasons and people just saying they have one if they can't require proof?

I have been wearing a mask when I walk at home here in MA; it's difficult enough in 60 degree temps, I can't even imagine what it would be like to wear one in the FL heat. I don't object to masks, just wonder how it will be to try and breath through one in the heat and humidify at Disney.

I'm resigned to the fact that they will be required for all. We will be flying (fingers crossed) so will be wearing them on a long flight anyway.

Looking for recommendations from those in hot humid areas - what masks are most comfortable? Not opposed to spending a little to get masks that we'd be wearing all day...in the sun...and the humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter