The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question and I truly don’t mean any disrespect but would you even take your son to Disney with asthma? Seems like a big risk to me if there isnt a cure/vaccine readily available to take a child to a place with tons of people from all over the world coming and going.
I'm not the OP, but I have asthma and I've spent many a vacation at WDW with no issue. Luckily it's managed with daily meds. Put me in the list of folks who find wearing a mask uncomfortable, although I fully admit for ME it's 50% mental. Like, I think my breathing is being restricted, although it's not really, which makes me very uncomfortable. I'm good for as long as it takes me in the grocery store or wherever, but no longer.

I'd rather cough or sneeze into my inner arm than to blow it all over fabric on my face. I would rather cover my mouth or nose or use a tissue then throw the tissue away and wash my hands. I think its gross to see someone pull out a handkerchief and blow snot into it then place it back in thier pocket. And then it's not gross to sneeze or cough into a face mask? A cough has force and cloth won't help but, covering your face will be more effective.
Yes this. I cover my sneezes by cupping my hands tightly with a tissue, dispose of tissue and sanitize hands. This is supposed to be WORSE than blowing snot through a cloth?? *gag
This is a cultural difference that has been discussed in various news articles about how use of face mask was effective in bringing CV-19 under control in Asian countries/territories such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea. In Asian countries
And yet...the supposed golden child of mask wearing culture has influenza outbreaks and hmmm oh yeah a huge outbreak of this virus. Also Asian culture, particularly Japanese-wear masks to be able to be anti social as much as "protection". Earbuds, mask, phone-no need to have to interact with anyone :)
Countries that wear masks are getting a handle on this virus and research indicates they are effective.

As a nation, we would do well to heed this advice.
yes the computer model that who knows if took into account viral load and distance and contact time. Because those things aren't known yet. Along with efficiency of different kids of masks. Maybe they did take all that into account?
I just can't believe that the wearing of masks in Disney is such a deal breaker for so many people. Is every one really going to just not going to something they obviously enjoy just because of the facemask??
Yep!! Plenty of country to explore for a whole lot less money.
Honest question and I truly don’t mean any disrespect but would you even take your son to Disney with asthma? Seems like a big risk to me if there isnt a cure/vaccine readily available to take a child to a place with tons of people from all over the world coming and going.
I have asthma and go? are we supposed to wrap in a bubble and just exist?

I'm not necessarily opposed to wearing a mask where I am going to be indoors and closer proximity to people for longer duration, but it IS a cultural shift to now have to consider everyone around you and everything around you as "infected" and "Carrying the plague of death back to granny-shame on you" culture that bothers me. AND there needs to be a heck of alot better studies on effectiveness of different kinds of masks AND guidance on proper use/wearing/disposal.

They aren't talking about asthma under general circumstances. I have asthma, and I understand that this makes me significantly more likely to require hospitalization if I were to catch Covid-19. I am also significantly more likely to die. Have people not realized that asthma is a high risk factor? If you wouldn't take an 80 year old with you, you shouldn't take someone with asthma right now. If you have trouble breathing in a mask due to asthma, you will have significantly more trouble breathing with Covid-19.

Some of you are so funny to me. Those who really think they will be able to go an entire 14 hour day in the Florida heat/humidity with a mask on while refraining from taking it off and/or adjusting it are flat out kidding yourselves. You are laughable. I live in WA. I am an EMT. My shifts, wearing a mask full-time on the clock in 70 degree weather with minimal humidity at this point in the year has been MISERABLE. No way you 'warriors' will abide by the rules once you realize just how incredibly difficult (impossible) it will be to wear a mask the entire day while attempting to enjoy yourselves. I am all for safety. One hundred percent. They should keep the parks closed throughout the summer if this is their intention, which it appears to be. I assure you the local Fire Departments better be at the READY, because people will be fainting from heat exhaustion left and right. My gut tells me that Disney will quickly turn to "recommending masks" for the July/August months.

Some of you are so funny to me. Those who really think they will be able to go an entire 14 hour day in the Florida heat/humidity with a mask on while refraining from taking it off and/or adjusting it are flat out kidding yourselves. You are laughable. I live in WA. I am an EMT. My shifts, wearing a mask full-time on the clock in 70 degree weather with minimal humidity at this point in the year has been MISERABLE. No way you 'warriors' will abide by the rules once you realize just how incredibly difficult (impossible) it will be to wear a mask the entire day while attempting to enjoy yourselves. I am all for safety. One hundred percent. They should keep the parks closed throughout the summer if this is their intention, which it appears to be. I assure you the local Fire Departments better be at the READY, because people will be fainting from heat exhaustion left and right. My gut tells me that Disney will quickly turn to "recommending masks" for the July/August months.

I went back to work today in an air conditioned office for 6 hours. It was 60 degrees outside. I couldn't take it for longer than an hour. I have moved my trip from April, to June, to July and now have a back up for August. I have come to the realization today that I can't put myself and family through it. I was in the "open the park with all social distancing and whatever it takes" camp. NOPE! Not doing it. I can wait. I just hope Disney can survive. BTW, I would be completely fine dealing with a mask in an inclosed air conditioned area for a limited amount of time.

No one (at least the sensible people) ever said the park goers would need to wear EMT/hospital grade respirators (not masks btw). A simple nose and mouth covering is all that’s required in places. Have you tried on a simple cloth or bandanna style mouth covering? Very, very different from a respirator that a medical professional would wear at work. Probably won’t do the average person much good, but it at least passes the requirement.

BTW, never understood the desire to go to WDW in the summer in the first place—even without most coverings.

No one (at least the sensible people) ever said the park goers would need to wear EMT/hospital grade respirators (not masks btw). A simple nose and mouth covering is all that’s required in places. Have you tried on a simple cloth or bandanna style mouth covering? Very, very different from a respirator that a medical professional would wear at work. Probably won’t do the average person much good, but it at least passes the requirement.

BTW, never understood the desire to go to WDW in the summer in the first place—even without most coverings.
We don't wear respirators at my FD. Just masks.

I went back to work today in an air conditioned office for 6 hours. It was 60 degrees outside. I couldn't take it for longer than an hour. I have moved my trip from April, to June, to July and now have a back up for August. I have come to the realization today that I can't put myself and family through it. I was in the "open the park with all social distancing and whatever it takes" camp. NOPE! Not doing it. I can wait. I just hope Disney can survive. BTW, I would be completely fine dealing with a mask in an inclosed air conditioned area for a limited amount of time.
edited to say lol: went back to work with a mask on...

you and me! I’m praying we can go in October. It’s just me and my healthy daughter going. I plan to wear masks. I wear them all day at work. It’s no big deal.
But! Are you worried they’ll require quarantine and you’ll be unable to go? If they require two weeks quarantine after travel I’ll have to cancel. Can’t afford that much time of for 3 days at Disney!
We're coming down from Canada. For us the border has to open up first and the 14 days of quarantine has to be lifted otherwise we're out of luck.
Again...fingers and toes crossed...knock wood...etc...etc

It seems there may be guests without masks, as Disney has stated exceptions will be made for those with disabilities.

I was just thinking about this. One thing Shanghai does not have that we do is The Americans with Disabilities Act. Claustrophobia is considered to be a disability. There are probably quite a few other disabilities that would make wearing a mask hard or impossible for some. What accommodations will Disney make for those who are claustrophobic or have other conditions that make it impossible for them to wear a mask while in the parks (and I know there are those who will repeat their message that those who don't want to wear masks can stay home- but Disney can't be that crass and dismissive, especially because of the ADA).

There are so many interesting legal issues that come up with this. I think many places are going with masks are "encouraged" rather than required because they will have fewer legal challenges to deal with. I was reading some legal guidance on whether employers can force employees to wear masks. It is quite complicated- and if they do so, they have to complete training and plans and make accommodations for those with disabilities.

This pandemic is creating a lot of legal questions- and a lot of constitutional and statutory challenges. It will be interesting to see whether the courts side with forced safety or freedom- not an easy call for anyone who really understands the issues.

The ADA does not require accommodations if they pose a "a significant risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of the individual or others that cannot be eliminated or reduced by reasonable accommodation."

Not wearing a mask puts other people at risk. That could be a way around it for Disney.

Last edited:
I know this isn’t the thread topic, but we choose to go in the summer. My husband is a teacher and gets two personal days a year. Our options are fall break in October, Christmas, Spring Break, or summer. It’s a choose-your-poison if we want to go.

Just an interesting tidbit for all the weather worriers out there:

Hong Kong is 1 degree Celsius cooler than WDW on average with similar summer humidity levels. Yet hundreds of people a day have survived summer at HKDL while wearing face masks for 15 years.

They do, in fact, move them to consume beverages and eat.

Just an interesting tidbit for all the weather worriers out there:

Hong Kong is 1 degree Celsius cooler than WDW on average with similar summer humidity levels. Yet hundreds of people a day have survived summer at HKDL while wearing face masks for 15 years.

They do, in fact, move them to consume beverages and eat.
Yep, 15 years. They are accustomed to it. Springing it on a bunch of unhealthy Americans in a sink/swim methodology seems unwise.

Yep, 15 years. They are accustomed to it. Springing it on a bunch of unhealthy Americans in a sink/swim methodology seems unwise.
Disney can do/require whatever they please. They are a private business. People on this thread are talking as if Disney is setting policy for the entire United States. I think it’s smart given the current climate to require masks/face coverings of all guests. If you can’t comply with that requirement then don’t go. It’s pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter