The Great 'Throwaway Room' Debate

I I said if I was booking a room for a week, but had family in the area so I am not 100% sure if I am going to stay in the room, but want it just in case would I get checked out if on day 3 or 4 still hadn't been to the hotel and only did online check in. He put me on hold b/c he wasn't aware of any policy on this to speak with a supervisor and came back after some time and that was the answer I got. Obviously CM's are notorious for misinformation so take it or leave it. Either way nobody is going to be checked out and lose their perks on a one night stay for not showing up in person so it IMO is a moot point.

I had the opposite experience from a front desk CM about two years ago.

A family member had a late flight, and I asked if there would be any problem. He said it was important to note the late arrival because vacant rooms were sometimes released after midnight.

Further back in time- before online check-in - the room we issued had serious problems. The front desk let us know our resort was full. They told us there was no vacancy property-wide, but they might be able to find a room for us after midnight. We waited over an hour, but sure enough- we were given a room- just AFTER MIDNIGHT at another hotel.

I had the opposite experience from a front desk CM about two years ago.

A family member had a late flight, and I asked if there would be any problem. He said it was important to note the late arrival because vacant rooms were sometimes released after midnight.

Further back in time- before online check-in - the room we issued had serious problems. The front desk let us know our resort was full. They told us there was no vacancy property-wide, but they might be able to find a room for us after midnight. We waited over an hour, but sure enough- we were given a room- just AFTER MIDNIGHT at another hotel.

When you prepay for a hotel room you have what is called a guaranteed reservation and the hotel must hold the room for you no matter what time you arrive. They are in breach of contract if they do not and are obligated to get you a room if you ever do show up. It is different if you just "hold" the reservation on a CC. If you don't show they will then charge your card and release the room if you do not arrive by a certain time. Two totally different booking contracts.

My guess is the only reason Disney would do it is b/c they are banking on the people not showing, but knowing that if they did those guest will be moved to a different/better class hotel on property for their inconvenience. So they know you will pay for Pop that is booked solid so to get your money they give away someone else who already paid, but hasn't shown up yets room, but there is space at CR so they figure they'll take your money and move the late or possible no show to CR if they eventually straggle in. The late arrival won't be upset b/c they got bumped to deluxe.

When you prepay for a hotel room you have what is called a guaranteed reservation and the hotel must hold the room for you no matter what time you arrive. They are in breach of contract if they do not and are obligated to get you a room if you ever do show up. It is different if you just "hold" the reservation on a CC. If you don't show they will then charge your card and release the room if you do not arrive by a certain time. Two totally different booking contracts.

My guess is the only reason Disney would do it is b/c they are banking on the people not showing, but knowing that if they did those guest will be moved to a different/better class hotel on property for their inconvenience. So they know you will pay for Pop that is booked solid so to get your money they give away someone else who already paid, but hasn't shown up yets room, but there is space at CR so they figure they'll take your money and move the late or possible no show to CR if they eventually straggle in. The late arrival won't be upset b/c they got bumped to deluxe.

And online check-in makes things different. I believe I posted upthread here (but I lose track) that for our September trip, I had called to let them know I was stuck in the airport and needed to push my trip back. The CM was as helpful as could be, but when I checked into YC, they had to physically check me out of my room from the night before (when I was there) and refund that reservation and charge me for the rest as a second reservation. He said that the system shows that you are staying there if you've done online check-in and have MBs. Even with me calling to tell them I wouldn't be there, Disney still had a room for me and thought I was staying there.

What if Disney were to put a minimum number of days stay to get FP+ bookings in advance. Like say two or three nights minimum. They could also set something up to make an exception if your coming the night before a disney cruise or WDW stays at another resort by having you confirm it with your reservation number for either of them.

The way I try to look at everything in life-
What would happen if EVERYONE did that
If that would be bad, then I dont do it
So you also know how I feel when a lane of traffic is ending, and there are multiple signs saying it is ending in xx feet- dont just speed down the empty lane and expect to have someone let you in.

So you also know how I feel when a lane of traffic is ending, and there are multiple signs saying it is ending in xx feet- dont just speed down the empty lane and expect to have someone let you in.
Actually, "you go, I go" zipper merging works the best: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/ :thumbsup2.

Wouldn't it be bad if "everyone" did anything?

If everyone went to WDW, the crowds would be unmanageable and the parks would overflow everyday.

If everyone went to WDW, the crowds would be unmanageable and the parks would overflow everyday.

Oh, the dangers of di-hydrogen-monoxide.

Wouldn't it be bad if "everyone" did anything? If everyone went to WDW, the crowds would be unmanageable and the parks would overflow everyday.

Sometimes I think one side makes a good point. Then I think the other side makes a good point. Then I think, Hey what's for supper?

If every campsite was booked by someone not staying there, that wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep. Everyone has equal opportunity to book campsites. Again, I make no judgment on how people do or don't use something they've paid for. Nobody is cheating anyone else.

If we start getting in to a debate of "who is making the best use of this room or campsite," that will become ridiculous. I booked a value room for the FPs and MBs. Perhaps family 2 would have consisted of two people who would have slept there for four hours per night. Do they deserve the room more than I do? What about family 3, with four people who would have slept for 8 hours each night and used the pool twice? Or family 4 who uses EMH, free parking, sleeps for 9 hours in their room, and takes a mid-day pool break each day? Luckily, WDW room booking isn't merit-based It's FCFS. So, as long as the throwaway bookers are complying with WDW rules, then I can't see what harm would occur if everyone with a reservation happened to sleep elsewhere.

So to me, if everyone did that, it wouldn't be a bad thing. (Of course, I acknowledge that not "everyone" can do this, as there are a finite number of rooms available to book. Nor could "everyone" camp at FW for a week, even if they wanted to and nobody had booked a throwaway.)

Actually, "you go, I go" zipper merging works the best: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/ :thumbsup2.

Thank you! I hate when people bring that up as an example of rudeness. It is actually an example of knowing how to drive properly!

In terms of the throwaway rooms, I agree that if you use the "if everyone did it", pretty much anything would end up being bad. The throwaway room is not likely something that I would do, but I see why people do it. I do think that the perks should be limited to the actual days one is onsite (like the Universal Express pass).

:rotfl: Guess that doesn't leave a lot that you can do Collins316 You shouldn't even be driving.

If every campsite was booked by someone not staying there, that wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep.

I guess the real question is, would (or should) Disney lose any sleep over it. I have read that there are 788 campsites. Let's assume an average number of 4 people per campsite. So the campsites can hold 3,152 people.

Assume that all campsites are booked by people who stay offsite. Again, let's assume that the average number of people per party is 4. So the sold-out campsites now account for a total of 3,152 guests in the parks that day. And all of those people are staying off site. If the campsites were actually occupied by campers, then the people who actually stayed there would add up to 3,152 and the people who stayed off site would add up to 3,152 for a total of 6,304 people. Now, some of this difference might be offset by the fact that the people who wanted to stay in the campsites but couldn't will find alternate arrangements and still go to the parks. But...these people are now also staying off site and likely spending less money at WDW. However, a fair number of people who wanted to book campsites but couldn't will not find alternate arrangements and will simply not go to WDW at all.

So on the day in question, WDW will play host to 3,152 people who are staying off site and spending less money than on site guests typically spend, and will also play host to a small number of people who wanted to stay on site but couldn't, but who found other arrangements and came anyway, spending money as off site guests. At the end of the day, WDW will have hosted no on site guests, and will have hosted fewer than the 6,304 people who would have visited the parks had the campsites been actually occupied. It is easy to see how this wouldn't bother the Throwaway Room User. But it is equally obvious to see why this should bother Disney.

Why they wouldn't want to fix this is beyond me. Simple solution, (beyond Pete's no-show fee). Set a minimum night requirement of 3 nights with no refunds for unused nights. I am guessing that most "real" campers don't stay for just one night, so real campers wouldn't be impacted. The only real impact would be to the Throwaway Room users who would have to pay upwards of $300 for their perks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter