The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic!A TR of sacrificial joy! NEW 9/13!

stackyallred

DIS Veteran

HELLO AND WELCOME! :goodvibes

Welcome to a place where we all live vicariously through one another's accounts of happy times in the happiest of locations.

Welcome to a place where we often see pictures of the same things over and over and it doesn't get old.

Welcome to a place where others don't judge you for enjoying the smell of Target because the freshly popped popcorn reminds you of Main Street or because you listen to music from the Disney parks year round or because on any given day you can and will quote the exact amount of days are left until YOU. GO. BACK.

And more specifically...

Welcome to a place where Mom/MeMee injures her leg less than 48 hours before the trip, leaving her unable to walk/under doctor's orders to not go to WDW :worried:, meaning she can't enjoy the trip she so looked forward to for over a year with her grandson, meaning she also can't bring him back home so her daughter (that's me!) and son-in-law can't enjoy the last week of the trip celebrating their ten year anniversary... alone.

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! To the Red family September 2013 trip report! (Better late than never, right?;))

I have read a lot of trip reports and I have come to notice there are a few different categories that us “reporters” fall into. I will warn you right now... I fall into the “gives you every detail” category! That is how I roll- details are kinda my thing so I hope at least for now, they are your thing, too! Also, we aren't really the "Red family" (just in case we become so famous that people start looking us up online :rotfl:), but the word red is in our last name so naturally, the red font was the way to go!

This will probably be a whole lot more interesting if we get on to some introductions and photos of our lovely cast (with a surprise cast member to come... dun dun dun).

Since you have stuck with me this far, I suppose I will go ahead and introduce myself first! My name is Stacey and I was 33 at the time of said trip. I am actually still 33 but not for long! These 30's are just flying by!

Me, super excited to have discovered Babycakes, at DTD in 2012. Safe for me treats!

I am a stay at home mom to my little guy 2/3 of the week and I also work part time as a portrait consultant for my dear friend's photography business. I LOVE my job and how it allows me to work (*cough, cough* aka, pay for our Disney trips) and still have the flexibility to spend a lot of my week with my son. In early 2012 after years of health issues, I was diagnosed with 40+ food allergies and intolerances. If I had a dime for every time I get asked, “Well then, what DO you eat?” We would be at WDW far more often! The great thing is that DH and I have been enjoying WDW annually since our 2003 honeymoon so what a relief it is to know that even though I pretty much can't eat anywhere but in my own kitchen 353 days a year, there are 12 days a year where chefs make me delicious allergy free food in my very favorite vacation spot!
Next up is my DH, Philip who was also 33... and still is... but not for long... just like me. We enjoy growing older together literally and figuratively, I guess! :lmao:

Philip and E showing Minnie some love at Chef Mickey's in 2012.

Philip is loud, fun, kind, happy (unless he is super hungry ha ha), graciously accommodating with my food issues, and ENERGETIC. We enjoy Disney so much together and I thoroughly appreciate how we equally are obsessed with WDW. He loves to keep up on all the news and newest happenings at WDW and report it to me. I love to research (mostly about the best places for me to safely eat), plan out our schedule, and make ADRs. He loves to get there and immediately explore the resort. I love to get there and unpack and organize. We have our Disney roles and they compliment each other well! I always feel so bad for couples who don't agree that WDW is the bestest, most magicalest (yep, it is a word as of... now) place to visit. I try not to take for granted that he is as Disney crazy as me!

Moving along, we find ourselves at the littlest (but perhaps biggest in personality) member of our cast. DS, or as we like to call him, “E” was just 6 weeks shy of his 4th birthday at the time of this trip.

About to take his first ever roller coaster ride on the Barnstormer in 2012.

We may live 19 hours from Orlando, but before turning 4, E had racked up 20 days/4 trips to WDW. Our not so secret mission to brainwash him into WDW obsession has been a wild success! By age two E had all the words to the welcome medley for Magic Kingdom's opening show memorized, by age three he was daily counting up the inches he needed to grow to be able to ride Soarin' (we did some serious vegetable eating that year because as everyone knows, veggies are the best way to grow into the height requirements) and by age four he was (and still is!) daily watching rides and shows of every ride and attraction at every Disney park in the world on YouTube. What can we say? HE IS ONE OF US. Like his mommy, E has some food allergies and can be a bit particular about things. Like his daddy, E is loud and energetic. Like both of us, he looks forward to our next trip EVERY DAY. I often wake in the morning to him standing next to me and asking how long until we go again to which I say, “I guess you will have to just wait and see” all while full-knowing the exact amount of days left between now and the glorious THEN. We prefer to surprise E the morning we head to WDW for both the element of surprise and more importantly, for our sanity. After his second trip and the never ending “Mommy, is it time yet?' routine, we decided surprises are more our style!

My mom, or “MeMee” as she is known to E is the 4th member of this cast. My mom is a daily part of my life thanks to texting, phone calls, face time and facebook (Ah, social media!) even though she lived approximately 20 hours away (her and my dad have since retired to Florida, woohoo!).

Mom/MeMee with E and I at POP in 2012.

Mom and dad took me and my siblings to WDW for like a day or two twice growing up. I barely remember the first trip but I do remember heat and that they didn't like it. Their second trip was when I performed on the Cinderella Castle Stage as part of a show choir group in high school one July (Remember the pepto bismol pink castle overlay??? Yep, during my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sing on the castle stage, that was my back drop!). Again, they hated it and basically drove two days to watch the performance and then GET OUT OF THE CROWDED, HOT park. I am so glad that their bad experience didn't dampen my budding love for WDW. Once I got married and DH and I began going to to WDW annually, I quickly learned that they hated it because they didn't know how to plan, I can't blame them that the disboards didn't exist, though! So when I asked my mom if she would like to join us for a trip back in 2012 (my dad couldn't due to work), I wasn't sure she would want to. But, I was forgetting one major factor we had in our favor... E. She will do just about anything for her grandson and said grandson wanted her to go. To make a long story short (this is a lie, I don't know how to do that... remember, I warned you... DETAILS), mom went and had a great time! She too, has dietary issues so she loved getting to eat safely and though I had NEVER seen her get on a ride in her life, that scared-of-heights MeMee took a spin on Dumbo and a flight on Soarin' among many other things. We had a great time!!! Mom is all about just going with whatever DH and I plan because she insists she is there for one thing- to spend time with E!

One last photo because well, I like it! It is our tradition to all wear Disney shirts and Mickey ears and snap a photo right before we head to the airport so here is 2013's cast in the 2012 production of our vacation!

So that is our brief (HAHA) introduction to our cast though there is a twist to come and a mystery cast member yet to be revealed. We will get to that later because we are now ready to actually start seeing how this trip came to life!

1:THE PLAN in theory... it had been tested for reliability, I promise!

Well, hello again! Before we move on to our “surprise-E-way-too-early-in-the-morning-then-travel-to-Disney” sort of chapter, I have to give you the details of the few days leading up to our departure. Why? Because it completely changed our plans and resulted in Philip being on the phone for HOURS trying to work something, anything out to make sure we could still even go and not lose a ton of money. So on that dramatic note, :rolleyes1 let's begin, shall we?

As I said before, my mom lived both far away from us and far away from Orlando back in September so here is the run down of how we had planned for the trip to play out:

- 5 days prior to departure, mom flies to us to hang out and get all excited for another fun trip!
- On departure day, we all fly together to Orlando to enjoy the bliss that is Disney World
- After 5 days of non-stop fun, mom and E fly back to our home where she delivers him to my in-laws and my dad (who was to drive to our home overnight- he loves road trips!) visits with E a bit then takes mom back to their home.
- E enjoys a fun week with my in-laws (they watch him while I work part time and he essentially thinks he lives in both of our homes) while Philip and I enjoy a week at Kidani celebrating our 10 year anniversary!

Easy right?! Ok, it may not sound easy, but people, it WAS easy back in 2012. We basically did the same set up a year before and since everyone enjoyed their part in the plan, they were all on board for another year. *Side note: I know you are thinking it, so let's all just agree that both our sets of parents are amazing. :love: My in-laws (MIL, FIL and SIL) traveled with us to WDW in 2010 and 2011 and have watched E for a few days after the trip EVERY time so that Philip and I could celebrate our anniversary. We are very blessed to have parents who love to help us with E and join in or support our love of WDW! Below is a picture of past trips with my in-laws.*

2010 with MIL and SIL:

Before leaving for the airport in 2011 With MIL and FIL:

The plan is in place and has worked before, so what could go wrong? :confused3

Stay tuned to find out!

Looking forward to hearing about your dining experience. My DS has feeding issues and I always get nervous when we travel.

2: We are almost ready to go! WAIT... WHAT?!

(I apologize that this segment has hardly any pictures, but as you read, it will make sense!)

If you are anything like me, the last week leading up to a WDW vacation is a mix of emotions. We wait all year for this trip to arrive, counting down the days and trying to not wish away the time between now and then (I love Disney but my normal life is fun, too). But then suddenly at about the “7 days left” mark, I sorta freak out. As in “Oh no, it is here and I am so excited but wait, I need more time to get ready and to sleep so I won't be tired when we leave!” So, I start the annual tradition of running around on adrenaline taking care of last minute details and wavering between excitement that it is here and wishing there was an extra day just built in for sleep. Sure, I sleep at Disney but I don't want to sleep when I am there (too much to miss out on!) so I tend to skimp on it a bit!

That brings us to the glorious and busy two days before the trip. Welcome to Saturday, September 7.

It was a cloudy and drizzling day and mom and I had plans to run some last minute errands. Sundays are very busy for us at church so Saturday was our last day to really take care of any to-do list stragglers. I cannot remember for sure where Philip and E were headed but I know he needed to take E with him which meant he needed the car with the car seat. We only have one car but my father in law has a truck he often lets us borrow. In the weeks leading up to this moment, my mom had been having some pain in her knee. This isn't unusual since she has arthritis but it had been hurting her off and on, sometimes worse than others. She walks several times a day and felt confident that it was just a strained muscle that needed stretching so she just kept exercising and living life as usual. When mom and I went out to get in FIL's truck, (they live right by us) mom struggled to get in because of her knee. *RED FLAG MOMENT: I immediately realized mom had been hurting more than she was letting on. The step to get in the truck was about the height involved when getting on the Disney transportation busses. I silently thought to myself that this may be a harder week for her than I expected and I was worried that something more than a tight muscle was going on!* After a moment of struggle she got in and said she just wasn't used to that angle of getting in a vehicle. I asked if she was sure she was ok and she insisted she was... so, to Kohl's we went. We shopped for maybe 30 minutes getting what we went for and headed back out to the truck. Mom declared that she was going to try a different method of getting in and use her “tight” leg to step up. And she did. And then she literally screamed in pain as she fell into the seat. Honestly, I don't remember exactly what happened next other than that I ran to her, trying to figure out what had happened. I knew one thing: SHE WAS IN NO CONDITION to be walking, let alone heading to WDW for a week! She couldn't seem to bend her leg for a second but then once she could, she sort of pulled it into the truck and just sat there, tense, silent and in the kind of tears you cry as an adult because you are feeling a combination of frustration and serious pain. I gave her a moment and then told her I thought we needed to go to the minor ER. She asked if we could just go home first. Knowing she didn't need me arguing with her at the moment, I said ok.

When we pulled into the driveway, I could see Philip was home so I ran in and gave him a brief rundown of the situation and he ran out to help mom get out of the truck. She winced in pain while getting her out and then we basically had to be her crutches to get her to the door... all while she tried not to verbally show the pain. Philip and I silently exchanged knowing looks. We knew. Mom wasn't going to Disney anytime soon.

After we got her inside and situated on the couch, she tried to explain her pain. She didn't feel anything break but she was already bruising and the pain was not lessening. She called my dad and he also said he thought she should go to the minor ER. And so her and I did (E was napping and mom felt she could limp enough with only my help so we went alone).

The Dr. who examined my mom only did a few exercises with her after hearing her description of the incident and weeks-long pain because he was confident in her diagnosis: Strained hamstring. You could tell he just knew and everything he said made sense in relation to her pain. Mom was so surprised because she had no idea a hamstring injury could be so painful and the doctor was quick to tell us that it can cause unbearable pain. Mom asked him if Disney was out and he said that she would need crutches and a stabilizing knee wrap (the hard shell kind so that it wouldn't bend) for a few days to a week but that if she was willing to ride in a wheel chair, he didn't see why not but walking was out or she would make it worse. Again... I knew. I know my mom. She has lost over 85 pounds in the last two years for two reasons: 1. To beat diabetes (and she has!) and 2. To be active with her grandson. For her, the thought of riding in a wheel chair was depressing and something she just wouldn't want. Not because she would feel sorry for herself but because if she was going to go, she wanted it to be at her best.

I kept my inner dialogue to myself when the doctor stepped out and I simply said, “So, what are you thinking?” She simply said, “I don't think I need to be going this time.” TEARS. I started crying really hard because I felt so terrible for her. She was not only looking forward to this for so long, but she was in pain, too! I told her that I had wanted to experience this with her again and that we could try to make the wheel chair option work. She told me to stop crying before I made her cry but then she started crying and said again, “I just want you all to go and have fun, please.” So there we were, both crying and hugging and the doctor walks in. You should have seen the look on his face. Poor guy. He said, “You know this will heal in about two weeks and shouldn't cause you any more problems if you stay off of it...” We both laughed! I bet he has never seen so much emotion over a hamstring and clearly, he doesn't understand the draw of Disney!

My mom was given some drugs to help with the pain, crutches, the stabilizer and orders to STAY OFF OF IT and we were on our way. After I looked in her eyes and asked her one more time if she was SURE she didn't want to try and figure out a way for her to go (because WE WOULD, darn it!), mom called dad and gave him the details and he immediately made plans to drive and come stay with her at our house a few days then drive her home. Once in the car, the heartfelt moment we had inside was sort of overtaken by a “WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW?” moment. I knew there was no way she would stand for us to cancel our trip all together and I wasn't even sure if we could without losing all the money, time off from work, etc. . Mom not going meant mom not bringing E home after their portion of the trip, questions about what would happen to her airfare, her tickets, etc... Then mom started crying again because she felt so bad, as if she had ruined our trip. I assured her that was not true and that it would all work out. But I honestly didn't know. Part of me just wanted to forget the whole thing because I felt terrible. Part of me wanted to go back to Kohl's parking lot and stop that moment from happening but the truth is, if it hadn't happened then, it probably would've happened sometime over the next 7 days... maybe when she was alone in the airport with E on the way home. CAN YOU IMAGINE? I immediately thanked God that the situation wasn't worse and decided we would get mom comfortable, not discuss ANY concerns about the trip around her and then once she was resting, Philip and I would discuss our options.

Well, now you know the “Hamstring of Sadness” portion of the trip report title but how about the rest of the title? THE PLAN was about to get all kinds of changes so stay tuned for how this crazy turn events would play out over the next 36 hours before our flights were supposed to take off! And in the mean time, because she is awesome and totally deserved a magical WDW 2013 vacation, here is another MeMee picture from our 2012 trip to close out this chapter.

Peace Out!

Looking forward to hearing about your dining experience. My DS has feeding issues and I always get nervous when we travel.

Travelling with food issues can be nerve racking! Thankfully we have had many good experiences at WDW. Have you been to WDW often/had any experience with special diets there?

3: THE PLAN... take 2.​

Let's get down to business (go ahead, I'll wait while you sing the rest of that phrase in your head) and finish out this part of the TR. When we left off, we had a very injured (and actully now, quite drugged) mom/Memee, lots of guilt and disappointment, and approximately 36 hours to figure out how to rearrange this trip so that it could work. Before mom went to her room to try and nap, she said she wanted us to find someone else to go in her place and not to worry about the money. WHAT?!:worship: Yes, again, my mom is awesome. This is where the “A TR of sacrificial joy” part of the title comes from. She insisted that absolute worse thing at this point for her was feeling like our trip wasn't going to happen as planned and that she would feel so much better staying behind if she knew we could move forward as we had once hoped. Again, I know my mom and when she has made up her mind about something, she means business. I told her that I didn't even know if it was possible to change names on the reservation (for both her WDW reservations and for her SW flight) at this point but that even if we could work it out, we would personally pay her back for her park tickets and plane tickets (we had paid for her hotel room and had free dining). She said not to worry about it but to try and please not feel bad and get the ball rolling.

OK, then.

With guilt hanging heavy over my head and a sense of dread that it would never work out in time, I went to confer with Philip who had, at this point been on the phone with Disney and Southwest trying to figure out what our options were. From what he had gathered so far, our trip insurance (OH YEAH! I forgot we all bought that!) would give us some help in making a new plan so he thought we should go ahead and try to find someone to join us. AGAIN, TEARS.:sad: I am honestly not a big crier on a normal basis... I just felt like such a mean daughter and I know Philip felt bad, too. But I knew my mom meant what she had said and we were probably far more likely to save money by going and paying any change fees than if we just canceled (our 7 night Kidani stay was rented points so that would've been $1000 we would never see again, regardless if we could change everything else).

Before too long, mom found that the couch was easier to rest on. She got comfortable since the drugs had kicked in and E was amused at her cast, crutches etc. He decided she needed some extra amenities. Not only did he load her down with toys, if you will notice the frames on the ottoman, he surrounded her with photos from around the house. I guess he felt she needed to feel the love of everyone pictured! :goodvibes

With mom and E entertaining each other, it was time to ask that mystery cast member if she was up for an adventure. With no further ado, please welcome my lovely sister-in-law, Emily to this report! :wave2:

Ok, she isn't brand new to this report since I did mention her going with us a few years ago and included a photo of us with her. BUT, the possibility of coming with us was a very quick moving surprise for all of us. Let's look at the difference between how our Saturday was playing out compared to hers:

Us- Start the day with excitement, moms majorly inures her leg, WDW dreams are shattered, plans thwarted and sadness ensues.

Her- Start the day doing laundry, expecting a regular old work week, big brother calls and says, “Hey, want to go with us to Disney World the DAY AFTER TOMORROW?”

Now, who wouldn't want that surprise invitation?!

After her dealing with the same guilt and “are you sure?!” moments we had gone through, she said she was up for it and even though she hadn't been saving for the trip, she wanted to pay my mom immediately for her 5 day park hopper ticket. We decided we would pay my mom back for the flight Emily would now be taking (thankfully, we had gotten $200 RT flights back in July on SW) so I at least felt better knowing that we had covered most of the cost of mom's trip. Emily had a very flexible job at the time so amazingly, she was able to free her week up with a quick 5 minute phone call. And we knew Emily would do great bringing E home with her and delivering him to her parents as they have been close buddies since day 1! See? They love each other!

Mom was glad to hear Emily was going (she had suggested her from the beginning) and was sure to tell Emily there was no rush to pay her back. I told her I thought her drugs were making her loopy :lmao: and to just take the money! With mom paid back and a new member in our party who could keep the original “PLAN” on track, we had one more big hurdle to tackle: trying to change everything from my mom's name to Emily's name for as little money as possible. So back on to the phones Philip went.

Now I could be really detailed here (I know you don't doubt me by now!:laughing:) but I will just sum up the next 24 hours for you quickly:

-Philip spends a TON of time on the phone (literally hours)
-Mom sleeps a lot
-I keep on packing
-E keeps on being oblivious to what is happening
-Disney and Southwest change over everything to Emily's name at NO COST

Did you catch that last line?!?! Somehow, Philip was connected to both the best Disney cast member and Southwest employee there ever was and after hours of him calling them, them calling him, etc., the hotel room, park tickets, magic bands, flights and meal plan were switched to Emily's name. MAGIC. It had to be magic because it didn't make any sense that they would work with us like that! Maybe Disney, but Southwest too? At only 36-12 hours before our flight and WDW arrival? MAGIC, I tell ya.pixiedust:

The hamstring of sadness had not defeated the power of magic and my mom's sacrificial gesture allowed us to go to bed Sunday night knowing that THIS WAS STILL HAPPENING. Before E went to bed that night, mom and I both got sad again because what was supposed to not only be a week at Disney was also supposed to be another week with her grandson and now she was saying goodbye in 12 hours instead of a week from now. I couldn't stop wavering between extremely excited and extremely guilty/sad! I was sure to tell mom over and over how much I appreciated how she wanted us to still have fun and how sorry I was. She said she knew and was still happy for us but we had to do one thing for her: SEND HER TONS OF PICTURES. She could have said bring Mickey home with her and I would have tried to make that happen. MeMee and E read a book and we decided to take some pics before he went to sleep.

Mom likes to joke now about how that last picture shows how drugged she was. :rotfl: She could barely keep her eyes open but wanted a picture with us anyway!

So off to bed E went thinking tomorrow was just another normal day! The next few hours were filled with us getting all the luggage ready to go. I had been packing for a few days (reality check: a few months) but we now needed to get it all closed up and tagged since we were no longer keeping it a secret from E. I think we finally settled down around 11 and watched a little TV with mom before she headed to bed. My dad had begun his overnight travels to our home so with prayers for safety for him and the rest of my family snoozing, I set my alarm for 3:30 AM. It was almost here! Woohoo!

Next up... Surprising E and would everything goes as smoothly with reservations once we were there as it had seemed on the phone?! Another update coming soon!

Wow!! What a rough start, but how amazing the attitudes of everyone involved. I can't believe how smoothly it all worked out!

Wow!! What a rough start, but how amazing the attitudes of everyone involved. I can't believe how smoothly it all worked out!

I know, as I was typing it out, I was reminded just how crazy it is that things came together for us so quickly! We really had a major share of pixie dust! :goodvibes

Travelling with food issues can be nerve racking! Thankfully we have had many good experiences at WDW. Have you been to WDW often/had any experience with special diets there?

We go to Disney every year. My DS has been going since he was was about 18m and the older he gets, the harder it is with him. He is now 6 and he is GF, DF, and SF.

Enjoying your trip report. So sorry about your mom. Can't wait to hear more and your son is just adorable.

4: The T-Shirt of Happiness and a Bittersweet Goodbye

Do you all sleep well the night before a Disney trip? I generally have a hard time falling asleep, sleep well for maybe two hours and then wake frequently in the hour or so before my alarm goes off, which is always super early because we love to fly early. Not because I am a morning person- I am a night owl and am allergic to coffee so mornings and I aren't friends. But we love to get the most out of that first day in Disney so I manage to pop out of bed pretty easily! I texted this screen-grab pic to Philip right as my alarm went off. Full disclosure: I had been saving this on my phone for weeks to send him at that moment!

The problem with these early Disney mornings is trying to keep quiet enough so that E doesn't wake. He IS a MORNING person big time and wakes at 5:45 AM to 6:15 AM every morning no matter what time he goes to bed. :crazy2: So we knew if we wanted to really get everything done that we needed to before he woke (shower, dress, etc), we better be in super sleuth mode (aw, I miss “My Friends, Tigger and Pooh!”)! I think I jumped in the shower at about 3:35 and Philip had showered the night before so he slowly started getting the last minute stuff together you cant pack until you are about to head out the door. Mom had given us strict instructions to wake her before we made the big reveal to E which we had planned to do around 5:00 so we could leave for the airport around 5:30 for our 7:25 AM flight (airport is 45 minutes away). And in case you are wondering why in the world I needed two hours to get ready, its because, well... FOOD. I have to pretty much make 90% of what I eat from scratch and I have to take food with me everywhere I go due to all my allergies. I had to make myself a decent breakfast because I wouldn't be eating again (except for a few snacks I packed) until we were settled at WDW. Plus, I had a cooler to pack, too. And I wanted to give plenty of time to see E take in the surprise. And... I'm sorta slow due to my constant organizing and rechecking lists!:rolleyes1

How do you surprise your child when you are a family who is known for being WDW obsessed and your child has gone there every year of their life? Easy, you give them a “clue!” We knew E was getting old enough to expect that another trip would come after summer was over (we always go in the fall) so back in May I came up with the idea to tell him that we would be going back to WDW but he had to wait until the day he woke up, walked out of his room and saw these two things on the mantle:

This was a genius idea if I do say so myself.:rotfl: Every once in a while (ok, at least 3 days a week), E would say, “Are we going to Disney World today?” Then we would ask if he had seen that t-shirt and his mouse ears on the fireplace and of course he would say, “No, not yet!” Sometimes he would ask if he could see the t-shirt again just so he would remember what to look for. Too cute! :lovestruc In case you can't tell, the shirt says, "I am going to the Walt Disney World Resort!" Thank you Disney Outlet and the $6 price tag!

At 5:00 AM, he was still snoozing (woohoo, super sleuthing was a success!) so I went in to his room and turned on the lamp and slowly started to wake him. Once I knew he was awake enough to not go back to sleep but not quite ready to begin his normal routine of boundless energy, I quickly got out to the living room so I could be ready to capture his reaction. And to our great enjoyment, it looked like this ( I apologize for the blurriness but he would not stop jumping up and down and screaming!):

We have a video of him literally running laps and screaming “I am going to Disney World!” :yay: I think I have talked Philip into making a compilation video of the trip so hopefully I can share that in the near future. Anyway, he was so excited and began asking lots of questions in his normal mile-a-minute dialogue. We told him to get changed but first we needed another picture.

Right after E changed, he was so excited that he spilled some of his breakfast on his shirt. On any other day of the year he would not have even blinked an eye. But this shirt... it was THE SHIRT. The shirt of happiness. TEARS. I didn't quite understand why this was SO tragic since I knew I could clean it off and dry it with the hair drier quickly but in his mind, this shirt held a lot more power. He immediately began screaming, “Now we can't go to Disney! The trip is ruined!” Dramatic much?!? :rotfl2: We calmed him down while I took over clean-the-royal-shirt duty and he did some more laps and dancing to his own made up songs about what was to come. Then it hit him. MeMee was still in her pajamas. MeMee couldn't walk good. MeMee had been telling him for months that she was going to go to Disney with us. He asked her if she was going and she explained no with no tears and lots of encouragement that it was ok because Aunt Emily was going in her place! He was happy with that answer and in a typical 4-year-old boy manner, the subject was closed due to his overall excitement. He put on his once again clean shirt and I told him that MeMee and Poppy (my dad) had been the ones to actually buy his park ticket as a present to him so it was because of them that he was getting to go. That resulted in this moment:

I was trying hard not to get super sad again but I felt SO bad for my mom. My dad was to arrive at our house in a few hours and she assured me that she was just going to sleep until he got there. My mother-in-law was on stand-by if she needed anything, but I couldn't help but think how terrible she must be feeling. But, like a trooper, she was all smiles and encouraging the excitement. Plus she was in a lot of pain and said she was really glad to not be facing all the physical activity of the next week. *REAL LIFE UPDATE: Mom and Dad are BOTH going with us to Disney in November of this year. Yay!”*

Soon, my FIL arrived to drive us the airport and Emily and my MIL came, too. Philip's mom had been with us to WDW twice and wanted to see us off. We took our “mickey ears and Disney shirts” pre-flight picture:

And mom had her turn, too!

It was time to say goodbye and there were lots of hugs and excitement as we all made our way to the door. Every one went ahead out to the car and I hung back to have my own goodbye with mom. I teared up a little again and I said, “NEXT YEAR.” She said, “Yes, and I am going to make sure that I am injury free!” We hugged again and she said, “Now don't forget I want pictures of everything!” So out the door I went and my MIL came back in to visit with my mom and make sure she got settled back into bed. I got in the car and both Emily and Philip both gave me that “Are you ok?” look. I nodded with a half smile and felt incredibly thankful for my awesome family. Seriously, we are very loved and I felt very undeserving of how gracious they had been in accommodating this trip!

This was it. We were about to embark on my MOST FAVORITE car ride of the year. Every time I drive to that airport, I count how many months until I am driving this route again for this very reason. Next stop, checking in on SW airlines and scanning the crowds for other Disney attire to see who else was headed to our happy place!

We go to Disney every year. My DS has been going since he was was about 18m and the older he gets, the harder it is with him. He is now 6 and he is GF, DF, and SF.

Enjoying your trip report. So sorry about your mom. Can't wait to hear more and your son is just adorable.

Thank you! We think he is pretty cute, minus those occasional temper tantrums lol!

I am sorry it is so hard to travel with your son. My son avoids dairy, almond, strawberries and all artificial food coloring. The dairy and and food coloring really cuts out most kid-type foods but thankfully, he was so young when we started feeding him this way that he doesn't mind too much. I can't imagine how hard it must be for your son! That is a hard combo to work with. I have a long list but the ones that are hardest to avoid are soy, dairy, peanut, wheat/gluten, egg, tomato, garlic and flax seed. Flax isn't really in that many mainstream foods, but it is in so many of the "allergy friendly" alternatives. I also have a lot of fruits and vegetables I can't have. I thought I would starve when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago but thankfully, I have adapted and it is worth feeling better. However, traveling anywhere but Disney is such a task and even at Disney, I still hate how time consuming dealing with my diet can be. But, I am so thankful that they are willing!

Thanks for reading along. I have wanted to a TR before but always wondered if anyone would really want to read it! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter