The homeless in Anaheim and Harbor Boulevard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come visit the Portland, OR area where I live. Homeless camps everywhere, especially along I5.

I have never felt unsafe on Harbor or Katella. One time a younger guy who was obviously on something was getting pretty verbally aggressive asking us for money but just said sorry don't have any cash and kept walking.

We have quite a few homeless in our capitol city but not much at all in the suburbs where we live. The homeless along Harbor haven't ever bothered us. My wife and I are fine with her walking down Harbor to the Candy Cane or Desert Palms by herself if she needs to nap. However, our son was on a school trip in High School at Disneyland and a homeless person pulled a knife on a group of kids walking together, so it does happen even by Disneyland. They just kept moving on their way super fast and thankfully the knife guy didn't follow them.

Summer of 2019 there was a pretty good size convention going on so a lot of people with the packed hotels going back and forth. We saw a lot of bums and junkies hanging out at the corners by 7-11 & CVS, the bus stops along Katella were occupied by the same but they were asleep mostly. Go to enjoy the wondrous sits and sounds of the bums and junkies taking a whizz where ever they saw fit too. The vast majority won't say much as Anaheim passed an ordinance dealing with aggressive panhandling, but it still made a lot of young families very nervous about crossing the street there. IMHO If I was running one of hotels I'd want something done as I probably is a factor of people not wanting to return the convention hotels.

If you haven't read the outstanding article about the new Meth from the Atlantic I really encourage you to do it, gives you a much better idea of what we're dealing with and why the homelessness issue is getting worse... much worse. ‘I Don’t Know That I Would Even Call It Meth Anymore’

As for our community, yes we have them but like Anaheim our cities have taken steps to keep them from clogging up the driveways and street corners. We have plenty of services for those that want and will accept the help, but for those with drug or mental illness there is not much we can do if they don't want the help. If you read the article it's clear this problem is way beyond any easy resolutions and for some there is little if any hope of getting them back after their drug use.
Wow. I just finished reading the article, and it answers a lot of questions I've had about why the huge increase in homelessness. Scary stuff indeed. Thanks for sharing.

When I was there in August, the only person I saw that could be remotely classified as interacting with guests was an older guy playing his electric guitar and singing at the stoplight along harbor right outside of the main gate. His songs were just classic rock mostly

I'd gladly pay for live music on my walk! ;)

I don't think it's a common thing for many people to see homeless people on a daily basis. I grew up in a rural east coast town and never saw any. Once I lived in LA I saw them all the time and grew more accustomed to it.

For me, it's one thing if I'm just by myself walking in the city vs walking with my kids in a city far from home. Last time we took ART 2 guys were hanging around the stop just watching us. Then they started getting chatty and getting closer to us. They were not acting aggressive, but it can be disconcerting anyway, because I have seen a fair number of people on the streets who were definitely NOT friendly. We ended up giving up on ART and just walking because the guys were making me uncomfortable. I feel sad for people who are in that situation, but the thing is, just by looking at someone, you don't know if they are going to ask for money, start yelling at you or just mind their business.

We stayed at the Hyatt House last time and there were 4 or 5 homeless people who would camp out right on the corner and we'd have to walk around them to get out fo the hotel.

We have quite a few homeless in our capitol city but not much at all in the suburbs where we live. The homeless along Harbor haven't ever bothered us. My wife and I are fine with her walking down Harbor to the Candy Cane or Desert Palms by herself if she needs to nap. However, our son was on a school trip in High School at Disneyland and a homeless person pulled a knife on a group of kids walking together, so it does happen even by Disneyland. They just kept moving on their way super fast and thankfully the knife guy didn't follow them.

My cousin was attacked by an agitated homeless man on Harbor while she was walking back to her hotel by herself. He didn't hurt her, but grabbed her cell phone (she was talking to her boyfriend) and threw it over a fence. Other pedestrians, Anaheim PD, and Disneyland security all responded very quickly. She was checked out by paramedics (she had no injuries), they found her phone, and Anaheim PD had her identify the man from their car. She was shaken up but otherwise fine.

So yes, people have had bad interactions with the homeless near Disneyland. I don't think its unreasonable or paranoid to walk in groups and be aware of your surroundings. But I would do this in an commercial area of LA.

See thats the difference with me, I know the street names and general locations of places like Skid Row or Compton etc, the places where I most defiantly would not go, even in a car. I guess I'm more streetwise than most, and know the difference between a major tourist area which has suffered an increase of homeless people like Anaheim and a very unsafe most defiantly not a tourist area like Skid Row and tent city.

The issue is that these traditionally "bad areas" aren't the only places this is a problem. It has infiltrated almost every neighborhood in LA at this point, even the heavily "tourist" areas. There are literally tent cities on Hollywood Blvd, and at the beach towns. In Orange County, even nicer, high end cities have seen a massive uptick in the homeless/junkie population. It's a pervasive problem. I live in one of the nicest cities in OC and we have a noticeably increased presence of homeless people living on our streets. Occasionally, there is a violent crime committed in places where I used to never, ever worry about my safety. They are getting more desperate and bold and these types of crimes are becoming more common in places that used to NEVER see them.

FWIW, Anaheim has been a dangerous city for a LONG time. The Disneyland bubble is surprisingly small. Carjackings, gang related shootings, muggings, and all that have been a problem in that city going back decades.

I live in the suburbs of a major city. I also work in the city. So, yes, I, personally, am used to it. I take walks all the time in the city. I have seen it come from a non-issue to something concerning. I personally have witness it get violent (and thankful that I'm at a safe distance.) I'm leaving social issues out of this. But where I work, I see a lot of unsuspecting tourists and families. I think it's fair that they should be concern and aware.

On vacation, with children, I am far more aware on the level of it being a unfortunate part of life and if someone starts to harass those passing by. I don't want my children scared and uncomfortable. (They are also not ignorant of how the world is.) Honestly, this is the reason why we stay on property because I need the escape and being in an oblivious bubble while on vacation. (But yeah, from MY city perspective... Anaheim isn't that bad. But I understand it can be for others)

Come visit the Portland, OR area where I live. Homeless camps everywhere, especially along I5.

I have never felt unsafe on Harbor or Katella. One time a younger guy who was obviously on something was getting pretty verbally aggressive asking us for money but just said sorry don't have any cash and kept walking.
I'm in Portland too...Good Job Kate Brown and Ted Wheeler, you've successfully destroyed a vibrant downtown that we enjoyed going to

Now THAT would bug me. Couldn't take it, would need to step away. Is that normal for areas around DL? I'm loosely planning a future DL trip but honestly might bump it behind a second Universal Orlando trip depending on how the spouse's vacation days go.
Our off-property timeshare is 1 mile south of Disneyland. We walk that length of Harbor morning, noon and night. I've never seen the "Christians with megaphones." FWIW, we walk on the east side of Harbor from Orangewood to Katella and the west side of Harbor from Katella to the park entrance.

My biggest concern is crossing Harbor and Katella as a pedestrian

That and the intersection of Katella and Disneyland Dr are soooo long. I think the latter is worse, though.

We saw a lot of bums and junkies hanging out

Sigh.

If I was running one of hotels I'd want something done

You even posted an article discussing how difficult it is to fix. You KNOW there is nothing easy "to be done."

Other pedestrians, Anaheim PD, and Disneyland security all responded very quickly.

And that is why I feel safer in the Disneyland area than I do in my small city's downtown. Because there are all those people around.

Although, frankly, once I ran out of gas (while going to get gas) while heading uphill in my small city's downtown area. It happened in front of a corner store where those some would judge and call names hang out. And in seconds 5 of them all rushed to the back of my heavy car (a grand marquis, at a time that the car's twin, crown victorias, were still being used for police cars, but they didn't hesitate) and pushed me up and out of the way of traffic. And then disappeared. It was amazing.

Our off-property timeshare is 1 mile south of Disneyland.

We once stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (or whatever it's called) near that area, and had no problems. Also, I love your signature: "Disneyland is my lab for smiling at strangers."

Or visit Eugene it is getting so bad here, there have been random attacks on people just walking down the street, the latest put a woman in the hospital and she was just walking to her car.

Yes I always wondered how the homeless panhandle when most people go cashless now days.

I think that it is more that America is so big, that it is not possible for everyone to live in an urban setting. The majority of people in this Country live in suburban areas and that is not where the homeless usually are found.

Really? The suburban areas around Seattle have numerous homeless. It is just that they are hidden more than they are in the city. The suburban areas probably do have less though, but the cost of housing is far less in the suburbs. The farther you get away from downtown the cheaper the housing generally is.

The ones I saw are not people needing a helping hand, they were addicts, aka bums and junkies. Is it politically correct? Of course not. I'm tired of renaming everything to try to be politically correct. There are resources for the homeless, but addicts don't want that help they want their next fix.

You even posted an article discussing how difficult it is to fix. You KNOW there is nothing easy "to be done."
There are things that can be done to slow the infestation of the new meth... but because the last president was involved, nobody wants to talk about it. Lives are being destroyed (permanent brain damage) and here we are with the drugs nearly free flowing right across the border. We need to stop the flow of this awful new form of meth with every method at our disposal. The Atlantic is about the only news outlet that dug into and reported the problem, I've tired to find other media getting the word out about the problem. Consider how long this meth has been around and look at the explosion of homeless and addcits and you can see the parallels of the two issues. But the homeless issue has become big business for agencies and governments. The LA Times said "California will spend a record $4.8 billion over two years..." and that is after the AP Reported "California has spent $13 billion in the last three years..." That's Billions!!! So we keep throwing money at homelessness instead of the root causes (of which there are more than just one), if you can stop (or lessen the flow) of drugs maybe we can help those that are not hooked on the drugs.

Or visit Eugene it is getting so bad here, there have been random attacks on people just walking down the street, the latest put a woman in the hospital and she was just walking to her car.
Sadly, its not the first or the last of those types of crimes in Eugene. I grew up in Eugene and loved it, but every time I go back I realize its not the community I grew up in anymore. The old free loving hippies and tie die wearing tree huggers have been booted out or left. Only one of my high school friends still lives in Eugene, everyone else left and most left the State. :(

Now THAT would bug me. Couldn't take it, would need to step away. Is that normal for areas around DL? I'm loosely planning a future DL trip but honestly might bump it behind a second Universal Orlando trip depending on how the spouse's vacation days go.

The guy I've seen basically says, "Repent of your sins. Jesus loves you! Have a great day at Disneyland!" Sometimes with a sigb about John 3:16 if I remember correctly.

Really? The suburban areas around Seattle have numerous homeless. It is just that they are hidden more than they are in the city. The suburban areas probably do have less though, but the cost of housing is far less in the suburbs. The farther you get away from downtown the cheaper the housing generally is.

Again, America is a very big place. The suburbs where I live, you will see a few of then panhandling on the street corner, but not to the extent where you see them sleeping in doorways. I know there are more homeless in the downtown area of the city, mostly because of the dense buildings. But the city where I live, once you get out to where I live, everything is too spread out. They tend to stay closer to where the shelters are and not travel out to the suburbs. Like I said, every place is different.

We live in a high cost of living area with tons of homeless people (and more resources for them vs other areas, and better weather). Being accustomed to them isn’t related to socio economics. My kids are more shocked by the number of people smoking and obesity when we visit other states/countries.

We live in a high cost of living area with tons of homeless people (and more resources for them vs other areas, and better weather). Being accustomed to them isn’t related to socio economics. My kids are more shocked by the number of people smoking and obesity when we visit other states/countries.
If you want to be shocked by the number of people smoking visit Europe. Seems like almost everyone smoked when we visited Italy and Greece a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter