The hunt for a Covid 19 3rd Booster shot

I am currently in FL and was able to walk into CVS yesterday and got my booster no problem by using my parent's FL address.

Trying to get my spouse one back home is another story. We have a Disney trip at the end of January and I would love him to have his for piece of mind.

Tis a thing of beauty! Only a rapid test but there are no appointments in our city for a "real" test until the 29th! Our daughter figures combined with the negative result from the expired test her company sent, the fact that we dropped off her asthma inhalers and she slept better last night that she's safe for now. Not sure how we would have managed a positive test, this year has been brutal on all of us (her wife left her when the province was locked down in April)

When she was closing up the office last week for however long this closure will last (our health unit has told companies to return to WFH) she created "goody bags" for everyone and was tossing in the test kits she noticed they were expired in August. She let her contact in the states know and their response? "We're still using them and no one is sick" Uhm, ok, how do you KNOW?!?!

View attachment 632672
Tis a thing of beauty! Only a rapid test but there are no appointments in our city for a "real" test until the 29th! Our daughter figures combined with the negative result from the expired test her company sent, the fact that we dropped off her asthma inhalers and she slept better last night that she's safe for now. Not sure how we would have managed a positive test, this year has been brutal on all of us (her wife left her when the province was locked down in April)

When she was closing up the office last week for however long this closure will last (our health unit has told companies to return to WFH) she created "goody bags" for everyone and was tossing in the test kits she noticed they were expired in August. She let her contact in the states know and their response? "We're still using them and no one is sick" Uhm, ok, how do you KNOW?!?!

Depending on the test kit they may actually still be valid.

My employer issued us test kits today and I noticed they all expired in July. I Googled the test kid brand name and discovered that Health Canada has extended the expiry date for the brand we were given by 10 months for test kits that expired in 2021, 5 months for ones that expire in 2022. Would have been nice if my employer had included that info with the kits....

So I suggest googling the specific kit and seeing if there is any similar info about an extension of the expiry date.

SW

Toronto. Boostered last Thursday. Pfizer. Mass vaccination clinic.

Some hints for those in Ontario and in case you found your previous shots off the main Ontario site -

*refresh refresh refresh

* push refresh over and over on the last page on the provincial site until you see something - the last page refreshes without having to input again if you do it in time

*grab whatever looks okay because you can continue looking for better locations and times - in case anyone does not know it cancels your prior appointment for you on the Ontario site. So no jeopardy to others to grab

*both my finds were cancellations that jumped back in during a refresh (I had to cancel the first due to a death in the family)

*do not get focused on a location having a late date. in case some do not know every location has multiple blocks of dates. And an earlier block of dates for the same location can be further down the page

*biggest hint - press the additional locations tab every single time you are scanning. Often an earlier block of times jump on during that extension - even when the location is on the first page with later dates. It is not always further out locations with that tab.

*don't forget to check your region for alternate clinics that are not on the Ontario site

*many surrounding towns have more accessible walk-ins at pharmacies. And do not judge walk-in times waiting. I had an appointment in Toronto and it still was an hour a half to get the shot (first and second were seven minutes to get the shot)

Good luck everyone.
Thanks for the tip! After two hours of refreshing, I am able to move DD’s appointment from Feb. 16 to Dec. 23 tomorrow. DH and I will have ours on Dec. 28, originally booked last Friday. What a relief! Really appreciate you all for sharing your experiences! Never would have thought to refresh for an earlier time.

:thanks:
:disrocks:

And we are all boosted! Both kids, their spouses, DH and I. Now we just wait for the 4 year old to be able to get hers. She turns 5 in March, so we are waiting to see when she'll be able to get her first.

And then there are the two babies but that seems like it is going to be a while for them.

We headed to Cloverdale Mall to get my son's shot yesterday.
He got the Moderna to match his last dose.
I had no idea the Moderna is a 1/2 dose ,,I know the Pfizer shot I got was a full dose.
Well he seems to be sore and achy but otherwise doing well. I am very relieved he got the shot.
Now to get my other two sons vaccinated.

Hugs
Mel

I had one for DS for January 4th and Shoppers contacted me this morning and I jumped right on the email and got him one for December 28th. Now he will have time to recover (if necessary) from it while he is still on Xmas holidays.

We're getting there. There is light (really small speck at this point) at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
For all of you still hunting, I found this site to be incredibly useful. It auto-refreshes every 10 seconds. I was able to find new slots opening up constantly, you just need to be really quick once you see a valid appointment open up. But yesterday I could have gotten 3 different bookings within 10 km of me for today in the span of 30 minutes on the site. Put in the first letter of your postal code and Booster (Dose 2 or 3) selection as filters to narrow down the options.

https://vaxlocator.ca/

For all of you still hunting, I found this site to be incredibly useful. It auto-refreshes every 10 seconds. I was able to find new slots opening up constantly, you just need to be really quick once you see a valid appointment open up. But yesterday I could have gotten 3 different bookings within 10 km of me for today in the span of 30 minutes on the site. Put in the first letter of your postal code and Booster (Dose 2 or 3) selection as filters to narrow down the options.

https://vaxlocator.ca/
Hi
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Mel

DH and I each had appointments on Wed. Mine was in Burlington, his was in Milton (Ontario). We both were given Moderna. Apparently, there's a province-wide shortage of Pfizer so they're saving them for the kids.

Here's the kicker, my Moderna booster is a half dose. But the approved "whole dose" is the 50mg, only half a full dose of Moderna in the US. So my booster was 25mg of Moderna and that's supposed to be fine. If its fine, why did they head doctor for Moderna go on CNN last night to say that he thought the half dose, meaning 50mg was okay, although a full dose booster would be better.

What does that say for what I was given? It feels like I got a placebo and I'm supposed to ward off Covid with mental capacity.

DH and I each had appointments on Wed. Mine was in Burlington, his was in Milton (Ontario). We both were given Moderna. Apparently, there's a province-wide shortage of Pfizer so they're saving them for the kids.

Here's the kicker, my Moderna booster is a half dose. But the approved "whole dose" is the 50mg, only half a full dose of Moderna in the US. So my booster was 25mg of Moderna and that's supposed to be fine. If its fine, why did they head doctor for Moderna go on CNN last night to say that he thought the half dose, meaning 50mg was okay, although a full dose booster would be better.

What does that say for what I was given? It feels like I got a placebo and I'm supposed to ward off Covid with mental capacity.

Apparently Moderna's dosage is stronger than Pfizer's to start with. Pfizer is 30-microgram and Moderna's shot is 100-microgram and booster is 50-microgram.

So you are still getting more protection than if you got Pfizer full dose.

Apparently Moderna's dosage is stronger than Pfizer's to start with. Pfizer is 30-microgram and Moderna's shot is 100-microgram and booster is 50-microgram.

So you are still getting more protection than if you got Pfizer full dose.
That would be true if I got the 50, but they were giving half that ... 25. But that's good to know it might not be as disparate as I thought.

A full dose of Moderna would be better for Moderna's balance sheet than a half dose.

Fair point. But it's what they're giving out in the US

I'm booked to get my 3rd tomorrow. Very Easy in Alberta. Just booked online for a local pharmacy in my town.
Yes, boosters are available to all now, providing you're 6 months out from your second dose. DH and my elderly sister got theirs last Tuesday at the pharmacy in our doctor's office. I need to talk to my doctor about whether or not I'm eligible or if a booster is necessary. I was mixed-vaxxed (AZ and Moderna) so I got a second Moderna in September for a total of 3 already on-board.

I’m up in the middle of the night so I decided to check the vaccine hunters site and got two Pfizer doses close to home for January 8th. So I booked those.

I had Moderna booked about 2 hours away for this Monday but a) that’s far and b) we had AZ and Pfizer already so I’d prefer not to get a third different one if I don’t have to.

Anyway, I will look to move those up but it’s good for now.

Also ds17 received his PCR results this evening and they were negative so that was great news 😊.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter